Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That look on Natsuo's face, I love when her sadistic side comes out. :allears::syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Ahahha, that face at the end, she's just so happy. :3::allears::stonk:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Yeah, it also kinda makes Natsuo more sympathetic in a weird twisted way. When she goes out to ruin people's hopes and dreams she's honest about it instead of it being just a side effect of being too awesome.

I feel the difference between Natsuo and Yuzuko is that Natsuo can tell that she is crushing peoples hopes and dreams when she beats them, granted she's a bit of a sadist because she enjoys doing so when it's someone who rubs her the wrong way, but at least she is aware of what she is doing. Yuzuko has so little regard for her opponents that she can't even see what she is doing to them and that lack of care and empathy in Yuzuko makes her feel almost inhuman. With Yuzuko saying "That was fun! Lets do it again some time! :haw:" after crushing someone who thought they stood a chance against her it's no wonder that she can come off as cruel and ignorant.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rexides posted:

Well, it is a sport, and people enter the matches willingly, so "crushing" is a pretty strong verb to use, especially since Yuzuko finished her last fight with a submission hold and everyone remarked that the were evenly matched.

Now, if she delivered that perky line to a defeated opponent who was trying to keep her broken nose from falling off her face, yeah, it would be very sadistic...

I don't think that Yuzuko is really capable of intentional sadism, that would require some insight into the other person to know how to hurt them. I think Yuzuko has so little regard for others that she can't even begin to understand how they feel. Take a look at the sparing match back in chapter 16 to see what I mean.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rexides posted:

Yuzuko doesn't care about the politics of the sport or whether her opponent is a special fragile butterfly who needs to be coddled after a loss.

It's not that she does not regard her opponent as "special fragile butterfly" who needs to be coddled, it's that she shows no regard for her opponent at all. She never sees them as anything other than something to overcome, as set of moves and as someone be nice to in a perfunctory way and then forgotten.

Rexides posted:

She just loves the fights, is very sporting about them, and assumes that every opponent she faces treats MMA the same way as her and not like a thing you have to be the champion of otherwise you are a total loser.

I think she likes MMA and finds it to be a lot of fun but if you are truly passionate about something then I think every loss or mistake stings and every aspect of it is something you spend time thinking about. She never shows any fear that she might lose, either because she does not care about losing or because the possibility of a loss never enters her mind. If she does not care about losing can you say that she really loves the sport? If she never thinks that she can lose can you say that she respects her opponent?

Rexides posted:

True, she probably does not understand the stakes that other fighters put into each fight, but that does not make her like the kind of person some goons seem to think she is. She is just a kid who likes MMA, that's all.

Exactly, she does not think about or empathize with her opponents. I think that is because she is a kid, she is very self focused and innocent, she hasn't really learned to empathize yet.

What kind of person do you think "some goons" think Yuzuko to be?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rexides posted:

:psyduck: Where exactly does that happen? Is a character commenting about something like that that I missed? To me she seems as if she treats her opponents as playmates in a game that everyone else takes too seriously, and she would have been just as happy if she lost her match. In fact, the only reason she would have felt sad for losing would be because she would have to wait until tomorrow to fight again.

I agree, she treats MMA like a game, not like something to be taken seriously. I see that as an unintentional lack of respect for the sport and her opponents. I don't think she is really capable of having respect for things yet, she does not have the introspection and awareness of her self or her opponents that I think is necessary for respect to exist.

Rexides posted:

This kind of person:

That does not really clarify things, I was asking for you to tell me how you interpret what I said. I think we may be talking past each other here.

Rexides posted:

e: At this point I have to admit that if I had to choose between Natsuo and Yuzuko for the most realistic character, I would definitely go for Natsuo. Yuzuko is definitely a "manga character", and is only there to provide stark contrast for Natsuo.

I agree that Yuzuko is very shallow at this point, I hope something we will see as the series progresses is a deconstruction of her character once she starts to gain some introspection.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Suben posted:

You've been saying she has no regard for her opponents at all but that's not the case at all. The difference between Yuzuko and everyone else is she sees every fight as a friendly competition with emphasis on "friendly". She had a good match with Ai and she doesn't see it as crushing someone's spirits, merely someone that she had to work hard to beat and she enjoyed that so she wants another round some time.

It's as much on the coaches as anyone too. Ringi and Yuzuko both seem fairly well-adjusted and approach MMA as both fun and a competition (Yuzuko a little moreso). But compare Kannagi and the wrestler girl Natsuo beat to Mitsuki and Ai. Kannagi tells her student, basically, "ice up and once you're good to go we'll get back to work and try again; you can cry now but it's not the end of the world" whereas Mitsuki can't even look her student in the eyes and very clearly thinks of her as a loser whose career is over. If Ai's spirits are crushed it's because she has a pretty terrible coach who has instilled in her "this is serious business and winning is everything" and what she's been taught colliding with the fact someone can both be good AND have fun.

I don't see Yuzuko's treatment of her opponents as respect but instead as perfunctory courtesy and/or projection, i.e. "This is fun for me and I don't take it seriously, therefore so does the other person." She just assumes that the other person wants to be treated nicely even though it is obvious to us that treating them that way might injure their pride. I don't think she does this out of any malicious intent and I don't think that she understands that she is hurting them, instead I think she does it out of a lack of empathy, an inability to put herself in her opponent's shoes. I think part of that is because she does not take MMA as seriously as her opponents do. Part of it is also that she has, as far as we know, never known truly painful failure, never felt great pressure to meet others expectations and failed to do so. I wonder what is going to happen to her character if she ever does start taking MMA seriously and fails in some way, her friend seems to be afraid that she will break in some way, but it might also be an opportunity for her to gain some introspection and hopefully some empathy for her opponents.

As an aside, I think some of you are interpreting my posts as being some sort of moral condemnation of Yuzuko? If so that is not my intention, I am trying to analyze her character, not making moral judgments of it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rexides posted:

Except that this thing you just said did not happen? She and her opponent were evenly matched, and they both seemed concerned that they could lose throughout their entire fight.

Err, what? As the trainer of Asano said: "For a girl so talented to lose so easily, what a shame." Or as Karin said, referring to Yuzuko:"She didn't do anything special to win, even though her opponent was Asano Ai." How was it an even match when Yuzuko won so easily? Asano clearly felt she had gotten schooled, and when she is sitting there pretty clearly feeling devastated by her loss Yuzuko turns around and says: "Lets do this again!" with a big smile. I'm sure Yuzuko wasn't being intensionally malicious, but if she had any idea how Asano felt at the time she would never have said that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Superstring posted:

No one who has gone through as much training and conditioning that MMA requires as Yuzuko has can be described as 'not taking it seriously'.

How do you resolve the fact that she is serious about MMA with the fact that she never seems to worry about the idea of losing or being injured? Can you take something seriously while not caring about the results or risks? If she really is serious then I can see why her friend is worried, because that carefree demeanour has to be a mask to hide how important all of this is to her, why would she put up such a front if not fear or denial? If she loses, and that seems inevitable at some point, that mask is going to crack and I'm not sure I want to see what is underneath.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

New Teppu.

Some more background on what happened with Natsuo's brother and why Natsuo hates Sanae so much. Man, no wonder Natsuo and her brother are so hosed up. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

So, wait, did I get that right? Did Natsuo basically just let her brother regularly beat her so he'd (hopefully) feel better about getting his rear end kicked by a girl? Was that girl Sanae? 'Cause that's pretty hosed up on every side.

From what I have gathered so far: Natsuo's brother was being bullied, so she encouraged her brother to go to the dojo where Sanae & her practiced karate. Her brother is not very good at the whole fighting thing and does not make much progress but challenges Sanae to a fight, Sanae completely owns him because of her talent and experience, the bullies hear about him getting beaten by a ~*~girl~*~ and the bullying intensifies. Meanwhile Natsuo is all "Do your best Onii-san! :downs:" So he keeps trying and failing, unable to live up to his sister's expectations and getting more and more angry at both her and himself while also becoming a shut-in to avoid all the bullying and personal failures. Eventually he starts taking out his anger on Natsuo and she just plasters on a smile and keeps going "Do your best Onii-san..."

I'm making some assumptions but from what we have seen so far that seems like a plausible scenario.

In conclusion: :cry::smithicide:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Natsuo is the coolest villain character ever. That is all.

Goddamnitwhydidyoupoooooost?!?!?!? I thought there was a new chapter or something. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

cafel posted:

That dream manages to make me feel really sad. Also mildly disturbed.

Yeah, pretty much this. :smith::hf::gonk:

It's nice to see Pac Du-Na doing well against Yuzuko at least. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Thundersword238 posted:

Jeez, the art in this was really good. The arm hold and the stuff leading up to it in particular was particularly detailed.

Also, it is soooo refreshing to see a fighting manga with an all female cast that doesn't just resort to gross fanservice.

The girls are still really good looking too, especially when they go all murderface on someone or Natsuo when she's fantasizing about crushing people. :allears:

Problem? What'd you mean I have a problem? I'm totally normal! :v:

• Locked thread