Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Green Bean posted:

They've realized she's a Shonen protagonist. People in real life feel frustrated or angry with themselves or others when they aren't good at something that's important to them. She does not. That's what makes her creepy.

Yeah, this. And not only that? She doesn't even understand their frustration. She's all "Why'd anyone quit something this fun? :downs:"

By contrast, Natsuo has a more understandable if hosed up motivation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Zenzirouj posted:

The upended tropes have been pretty evident since the beginning of the series, but I don't think that's all there is to Yuzuko. I think the implication isn't just that she has a weird personality that's creepy once you're around it for a while, but that she also has some kind of neurological problem that causes pain to not be much of a deterrent for her. If the thresholds on her nervous system are higher than normal people, it would explain why being knocked around is fun for her and why it takes her a really long time to learn new movements.

That's an interesting notion, and it pretty much fits with the vibe I was getting off her.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Thundersword238 posted:

Jeez, the art in this was really good. The arm hold and the stuff leading up to it in particular was particularly detailed.

Also, it is soooo refreshing to see a fighting manga with an all female cast that doesn't just resort to gross fanservice.

Even the maid uniform extra chapter is more hilarity than fanservice.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 3, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

BigLeafyTree posted:

Maybe some kind of deep rooted masochism? It would have to be from when she first joined that gym though which would be when she was like 7 or something, which makes it really weird.

Honestly not unheard of. I've heard of similar things stemming from a similarly young age (not masochism specifically, but stuff that people would think weird to develop at such an age). After all, masochism isn't necessarily sexual--it just means you like pain (though it's usually just specific forms of pain rather than all pain in general).

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

ElMaligno posted:

Or maybe she just really enjoys the thrill of fighting? poo poo I enjoy grappling and rolling on the mat and its not because I am a masochist or a sadist for that matter.

No need to sexualize things.

Masochism isn't always sexual as I said. But I don't have any real investment in this theory--I'm actually neutral on any and all theories about what's up with Yuzuki. And honestly there isn't any need for a real 'diagnosis' in this case; the whole point seems to be to poke at a common protagonist archetype and point out how weird it would seem to many people.

EDIT: If Yuzuki could be said to have anything, it's 'shounen sport protagonist syndrome'.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread