Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«397 »
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results
Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

It didn't just end horribly, it was horrible for months. The promo was in mid September, the "blow off" was the night after Starrcade 98 (since Bischoff won at Starrcade.) In between it drags and drags and gets so dumb. Then the feud continues with Bischoff having to do Flair's bidding, Flair getting kidnapped and left for dead by the nWo, the First Blood Barbed Wire Cage match, etc.

It starts with two good promos and from there gets so bad with maybe two more great Flair promos?

It's one of the worst feuds WCW ever did.

And you wonder why I want to know what your dick tastes like...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Kanye West - Touch the Sky

MassRafTer posted:

It didn't just end horribly, it was horrible for months. The promo was in mid September, the "blow off" was the night after Starrcade 98 (since Bischoff won at Starrcade.) In between it drags and drags and gets so dumb. Then the feud continues with Bischoff having to do Flair's bidding, Flair getting kidnapped and left for dead by the nWo, the First Blood Barbed Wire Cage match, etc.

It starts with two good promos and from there gets so bad with maybe two more great Flair promos?

It is a case of highs and lows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

Fundamentals as sound as the WNBA

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And you wonder why I want to know what your dick tastes like...

I told you.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is a case of highs and lows.

There are highs but the rest is Homer falling down the cliff.

And then you get to the blow off he wins the presidency and fall down the cliff again.

There were some actual good WCW feuds after that like The 2 Poop Feuds.

Or realistically the 3 way tag feud from spring of 99 or the incredible Hogan vs Wall one night feud. HE FEARS NO MAN. HE FEELS NO PAIN!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2017 around 21:45

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

I told you.

"I eat pineapple" is equivalent to "Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins"

I've been eating pineapple every day since you revealed your "secret" and I still haven't taken over the world. Or even this message board.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Uhhh I'm kinda tempted but not enough for $24. If it was like, $15 maybe. Like, if it had some actual promo outlines, I'd be down. But it's just a quick run sheet.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

For good or bad, the Bischoff feud was when Flair's incredibly hyped up screaming promo style started. I'm not sure if he ever did a calm one after.

dont even fink about it
Oct 9, 2005

The right reading for this is the one I'm giving.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Fun fact: In a 98 radio interview, Triple H said Flair should just retire

Steve Austin was saying this in 1995, to put everything in perspective.

"Oh that old guy from the rival promotion? Yes he is the best," said no one ever.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I'm the last minute addition of VAN HAMMER.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The feud was terribly paced with Bischoff taking Flair off the air for 2 months just to try to stretch it out to Starrcade.
Then he won the Starrcade match for some godawful reason.
Then Flair won the entirely unnecessary putback match.

Then the end of the feud happened on the other end of the "Nitro with no wrestling in the first hour" which, having been watching the Nitros with you guys for the past 2 years made me realize that you can point the finger to that exact Nitro and realize that was the point where WCW's creative completely fell off the rails, never to return. So of course the feud would peter out with no resolution and somehow segue to a stupid cage match where the rules didn't matter and the points were made up.

But at least there was a passion and a dynamic behind it that allowed people to buy into it.

sweet_jones
Dec 31, 2006

Help me settle a debate. I believe in at least one interview as a Horsemen Benoit referred to himself as "silent but deadly" at interview's end before holding up four fingers.

Did this actually happen?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Silent but violent was used in reference to Benoit, that might be it.

sweet_jones
Dec 31, 2006

Right, but I believe there was at least one interview where he referred to himself as silent but deadly.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

I remember the same but in ECW with Shane Douglas and it was about Malenko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Maxwell Lord posted:

(Also I notice that Flair, like, sold and did jobs clean and put other guys over every so often. Part of that may have been having so little influence, but still he comes off as way more professional than Hogan ever was.)

Yeah, a huge part of Flair's legacy is that he'd go out of his way to put his opponents over. Sometimes to an insane degree. Did he ever just straight up win a match without letting the other guy take 75% of it?

«397 »