Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I learned how to do the Sharpshooter on my own when I was 16. Bret is such a goober

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hirez posted:

:psyduck:

How big of a mark for himself is Bret Hart lol; has to be taught how to do the Sharpshooter from Konnan of all people
konnan taught him well if fans say that every other wrestler doing it looked like poo poo

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Hirez posted:

like no one in the locker room knew how to cross someones legs and turn them around? what's there to be taught? He's making it seem like it's some kind of crazy technical move that only few can do
Think about how many times we've seen the hold applied wrong by people who weren't Bret, Owen, or Sting. Hell, in the Montreal match, Bret had to tell Shawn that he had the legs crossed wrong.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never seen a Hogan/Flair match that I can recall but according to Bryan and Vinny, Hogan can absolutely not do a Figure 4 right in spite of wrestling Flair a billion times and being in the business for decades.

Wrestling is hard.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Think about how many times we've seen the hold applied wrong by people who weren't Bret, Owen, or Sting. Hell, in the Montreal match, Bret had to tell Shawn that he had the legs crossed wrong.

That and it wasn't a common move in the US, only Sting was doing it here and you couldn't just pull up a youtube video to see how he applied it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

That and it wasn't a common move in the US, only Sting was doing it here and you couldn't just pull up a youtube video to see how he applied it.

But who taught sting? Were there two konnans?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

But who taught sting? Were there two konnans?

He saw Choshu do it in Japan.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ronnie Garvin was using it before Bret (most memorably he beat Greg Valentine with it during the Dueling Kneebrace feud of death)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the night there was an army of Stings owned

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

The WCW Lonely Road of Faith fan video is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geM7g2l88BE

Sadly, I believe that the person who made it, TriMoon, is no longer with us. :(

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The WCW Lonely Road of Faith fan video is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geM7g2l88BE

Sadly, I believe that the person who made it, TriMoon, is no longer with us. :(

Good video, but I wish the song was better :smith: Something from back when country was decent would work for WCW, I think.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Randaconda posted:

Good video, but I wish the song was better :smith: Something from back when country was decent would work for WCW, I think.

Like I Hate Rap by The West Texas Rednecks?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

forkboy84 posted:

Like I Hate Rap by The West Texas Rednecks?

unironically a better song than the one on there

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah, they won adults handily the night of the Fingerpoke, but lost big overall because the WWF was so strong with teens.
foley huge for teenage boys

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The reason most people's Sharpshooter looks like crap is that they don't keep their opponent's knees bent. It makes it harder to step over and really sit down on it.

There's an old match of Dean Malenko squashing Robbie Brookside, where Dean can't apply the Cloverleaf because Brookside crosses his ankles but won't bend his knees. So Dean ends up flipping him over and doing a sort of half-assed Scorpion Deathlock. It kinda gives an idea of what I'm talking about.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Before he was the Red Rooster, Terry Taylor used the Scorpion as his finisher upon his WWF debut.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Most of the time, the tippy top guy could at least be counted on to not lose buys, buys and house shows attendance both dropped when Sting was on top in the early 90s, and when he was in the rafters, there's no way in hell you can say that was all Sting.

Edit: Flair (obviously), Vader and Lex all drew better than Sting, and wrestling was just as cold during their runs, as well.

Edit 2: I never said "huge" drawing Hogan or Austin numbers is silly, but Sting didn't draw as well as other people in the company at the same time, is all I'm saying. And as MassRafter noted, Smoky was doing better house show numbers than WCW was, and that's insane.

MassRafTer posted:

Flair, Dusty, The Von Erichs, Lawler, Savage, Piper, The Fabulous Ones, Junkyard Dog, HHH technically did longer than Sting, as did Batista, the Rock N Roll Express, Snuka, Andre the Giant and I could keep listing people just from the period of Hulkamania on who were all more over than Sting by that definition.

Flair, Luger (bigger draw than Sting in the 80s and early 90s), Vader (huge draw everywhere else on Earth) Foley, Steve Austin, Rick Rude...

OK, good points. Again, there were a lot of issues with WCW in the early 90's and I don't think you can pin all of that on Sting, but yeah he was probably not an ideal top guy at the time. That said, Flair/Vader/Austin/Rude were all primarily heels. That's an interesting point about Luger though, I know he was a main-eventer during that period, but my first exposure to him was during the late 90's when he was more of a midcarder and definitely less popular than Sting. I've watched some of his early 90's stuff, but not really the 80's so I don't know how big he was then.

Sting definitely did boost buyrates for TNA later in his career, but they were still lightyears behind WWE. I guess the real "what if" is how big he could have been if he had signed on with WWE right after they bought WCW, when he still had something left in the tank and the average fan still knew who he was. (Or how big he could have been in a decently-booked, non-Russo WCW.)

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There's no real what-if there. Sting was the living embodiment of WCW, they'd have buried him so hard the way they treated DDP would have looked like a top-shelf push.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rujasu posted:

OK, good points. Again, there were a lot of issues with WCW in the early 90's and I don't think you can pin all of that on Sting, but yeah he was probably not an ideal top guy at the time. That said, Flair/Vader/Austin/Rude were all primarily heels. That's an interesting point about Luger though, I know he was a main-eventer during that period, but my first exposure to him was during the late 90's when he was more of a midcarder and definitely less popular than Sting. I've watched some of his early 90's stuff, but not really the 80's so I don't know how big he was then.

Sting definitely did boost buyrates for TNA later in his career, but they were still lightyears behind WWE. I guess the real "what if" is how big he could have been if he had signed on with WWE right after they bought WCW, when he still had something left in the tank and the average fan still knew who he was. (Or how big he could have been in a decently-booked, non-Russo WCW.)

Luger was getting huge reactions i '97, way bigger than I remembered, and his matches were better than I remembered, as well.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
In Your House Preshow match, Gillberg squashes Sting in 0:36

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

Sting boosted buyrates like twice, once by like 10,000 buys and once by 20,000... on a show promoted around Angle and Joe having a confrontation and where his title match with Jarrett got pushed to the background.

I like Sting, he was the loving man in 1996 and 1997. He was pretty famous and popular with wrestling fans before and after that. But people twist themselves into knots to try and make him something he wasn't.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

He was WCW's most iconic face if nothing else. Mostly because he was always at the top, always a face, and never left the company.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well yeah, that's why this debate comes up a lot. People like him, but contrary to common sense he was not a top draw over time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sting/Muta from GAB '89 is good

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyqn9

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I like Sting, he was the loving man in 1996 and 1997. He was pretty famous and popular with wrestling fans before and after that. But people twist themselves into knots to try and make him something he wasn't.

Yeah this is about where I'm at with Sting. He was awesome the rare times his push wasn't hosed up, and he's had some really fun matches over the years, but he's not some gargantuan megastar and that's totally OK.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sting will always be a gargantuan megastar in my heart

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

coconono posted:

Sting will always be a gargantuan megastar in my heart

:yeah:

If you grew up a little Stinger he was always the man if you didn't care for WWF/E.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Luger was getting huge reactions i '97, way bigger than I remembered, and his matches were better than I remembered, as well.

Yeah, I started watching in '98 around the time he joined the Wolfpack. He was still fairly popular around then, but by the time he turned heel, he was just kinda there. I know he was big in '97 though.

MassRafTer posted:

Sting boosted buyrates like twice, once by like 10,000 buys and once by 20,000...

Well yeah, but it was TNA, that was an increase of like 50% for them.

Q_res posted:

There's no real what-if there. Sting was the living embodiment of WCW, they'd have buried him so hard the way they treated DDP would have looked like a top-shelf push.

Nah, I don't think so. Might have been more along the lines of what they did with Goldberg in his first WWE run. Maybe not the title run, but a big, brief main-event push before moving on to the next flavor.

DDP had such a weird career arc to me. Randomly got huge as a face in WCW, then had a decent title run as a heel, then nobody knew what the hell to do with him after that.

rujasu fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 26, 2020

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

rujasu posted:

Yeah, I started watching in '98 around the time he joined the Wolfpack. He was still fairly popular around then, but by the time he turned heel, he was just kinda there. I know he was big in '97 though.

Well yeah, but it was TNA, that was an increase of like 50% for them.

Nah, I don't think so. Might have been more along the lines of what they did with Goldberg in his first WWE run. Maybe not the title run, but a big, brief main-event push before moving on to the next flavor.

DDP had such a weird career arc to me. Randomly got huge as a face in WCW, then had a decent title run as a heel, then nobody knew what the hell to do with him after that.

He went to WWE when he was 45, which Vince thinks is ancient and not worth pushing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

It's not a popular opinion, but one of my favourite DDP runs is when he was a motivational speaker type working with Christian trying to help him break his losing streak.

I have always been a fan of both men, and I really liked the match that was the culmination of that storyline at Wrestlemania. Christian getting a nearfall, almost chucking a tantrum, calming himself, and then getting Diamond Cuttered was great. Both in an entertaining way, and in a storytelling way.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Punch McLightning posted:

He went to WWE when he was 45, which Vince thinks is ancient and not worth pushing.
WCW dropped the ball on him long before the buyout. He turned heel at a time when WCW was suffering for babyfaces and he was still getting cheered.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Punch McLightning posted:

Yeah. Like I said, weird career arc. How many pro wrestlers suddenly got big in their early 40's?

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

WCW dropped the ball on him long before the buyout. He turned heel at a time when WCW was suffering for babyfaces and he was still getting cheered.

This too. He was fine as a heel champion, but wasn't really moving the needle, they had about a dozen other guys who could have been top heels at the time.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DDP and Flair turned heel on the same night Nash and Hogan turned face for no good goddamn reason.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I get why they thought he'd be a great heel, he has that hateable Jersey slimeball quality, but loving hell his heel promos was so atrocious and gave him instant go away heat. Just one of those guys who should have always been a face no matter what.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

DDP and Flair turned heel on the same night Nash and Hogan turned face for no good goddamn reason.
Starrcade '98 is when the deadly wound was inflicted. Teenage WSAENOTSOCK didn't notice the wound until the fingerpoke, and didn't see the blood pooling until these very events.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's really stupid because they should have remembered how much nobody gave a gently caress about DDP when he was a heel pre-NWO. He was basically an anonymous mid-card heel until he got the offer to join the NWO. I think that was the first time someone told the NWO to gently caress off and actually got one over on them. The fans ate it up and he rode that and a cool finish to being over as gently caress.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Q_res posted:

It's really stupid because they should have remembered how much nobody gave a gently caress about DDP when he was a heel pre-NWO. He was basically an anonymous mid-card heel until he got the offer to join the NWO. I think that was the first time someone told the NWO to gently caress off and actually got one over on them. The fans ate it up and he rode that and a cool finish to being over as gently caress.
There was a time when the dream card for WCW and WWF was:

Goldberg Vs. Austin, champion vs. champion, and also they kinda' look alike.

Sting Vs. Undertaker, because they're both spooky and play theatrical mind games.

and DDP vs. The Rock, People's Champion vs. People's Champion.

That card would've done 2 million loving buys.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
And Kane vs Roadblock

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
don't forget fake razor vs scott hall a la undertaker vs underfaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

There was a time when the dream card for WCW and WWF was:

Goldberg Vs. Austin, champion vs. champion, and also they kinda' look alike.

Sting Vs. Undertaker, because they're both spooky and play theatrical mind games.

and DDP vs. The Rock, People's Champion vs. People's Champion.

That card would've done 2 million loving buys.
okay everyone, how would YOU have booked the finishes?