Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It's been ages since Sting retired, but when Cody did Sting's hands-to-his-mouth WHOOOOOOOOOO before doing a Stinger splash a couple weeks back made me nostalgic as gently caress.

Sting was always my favorite.

Been watching old Sting matches, and I think Cena, at points, was drat near a tribute act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Been watching old Sting matches, and I think Cena, at points, was drat near a tribute act

The resemblance is actually quite striking. Not even just mannerisms, but they even sorta look similar.

Now I’m just mad we never got Crow Cena.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

The resemblance is actually quite striking. Not even just mannerisms, but they even sorta look similar.

Now I’m just mad we never got Crow Cena.

sign in the crowd reading "COLE! CENA WANTS HHH!"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cena could have added the Stinger Splash to his moveset with no problem

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I remember being disappointed Cena didn't use surfer Sting make-up when they teamed once at RAW.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine a series of vignettes where Cena has to travel to the rafters to learn the secrets of the Scorpion Deathlock from Sting to defeat some monster. :allears:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DDP's WWE fate was just as ignominious as Sting's.

Showed up, made to look foolish in a high profile match, got injured, disappeared.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
When I finally got around to watching Sting-HHH from WM31, even though I basically figured how it would end (because it's impossible for anyone to book Sting against their top guy and not make him look like a loving chud), I marked out like I was a little kid again when he broke Trips' hammer with his bat.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

DDP's E run has got to be the worst of any WCW main eventer, especially considering he was still able to go at the time of the Invasion.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
For all his foibles, Jeff Jarrett was always hustling, jumping back and forth between promotions to get the biggest push/salary he could. When WCW folded, he and his old man made a new promotion, which he maneuvered his dad out of in certain ways. A promotion that still exists to this day. And when that didn't work, he made Global Force Wrestling, hocked gold if he had to, and somehow got Anthem to buy into that poo poo. And then he ended up getting into the WWE Hall of Fame and employed by them. Dude hustled and worked to make a living and continue wrestling, went to rehab when he bottomed out, is still keepin' on.

Buff Bagwell had his mom call in sick for him when wrestling, did a turn as a gigolo on reality TV, and now looks busted and completely hosed up on Cameo.

That's not to say that Buff couldn't have been a bigger star than JJ with the right push and commitment, but I don't think he had an ounce of the drive JJ had or was willing to put in a fraction of the work. As far as I know, Buff never even contemplated jumping ship or even cared to as long as the WCW gravy train was running.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the key difference is that Buff Bagwell is a professional wrestler who had his heyday in the late 90s, while JJ is proof that there is a God and He delights in human suffering.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

On worst WCW wrestler in WWE:
I don’t know if it was worse than DDP or Stings run, but I feel like Scott Steiner should be in the conversation. He had a classically bad feud with Trips that culminated in a classically bad match, and then he was in a terrible storyline where him and Test were abusive to Stacy Keibler. At least we did get that amazing botch when he hit a flying axehandle off the apron that would make Orange Cassidy jealous, which Test sold anyway.

On Buff vs JJ:
JJ was born into the business whereas Buff fell into it because he was neighbours with Missy Hyatt. Without wrestling Jarrett had nothing, for Buff it was just a shockingly well paying job that he can still make Cameo money off of 20 years later. I give the win to Buff.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Sting, the NWO (Nash, Hall and Hogan), and to an extent even Ric Flair were all at least given some credibility during their post WCW runs in WWE. Ignoring the quality of their matches and the sincerity of the WWE writers, they were all pushed in major event slots and storylines, even if they ended up being glorified jobbers to the WWE maineventers.

DDP had a couple of unheralded creepy gimmicks before fading away and becoming a yogi.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Sting, the NWO (Nash, Hall and Hogan), and to an extent even Ric Flair were all at least given some credibility during their post WCW runs in WWE. Ignoring the quality of their matches and the sincerity of the WWE writers, they were all pushed in major event slots and storylines, even if they ended up being glorified jobbers to the WWE maineventers.

DDP had a couple of unheralded creepy gimmicks before fading away and becoming a yogi.

To be fair, despite the fact everything about it sucked, DDPs debut feud was with the Undertaker. Acting like he was just some curtain jerking midcarder from the start is a bit disingenuous.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Sandman McMahon posted:

To be fair, despite the fact everything about it sucked, DDPs debut feud was with the Undertaker. Acting like he was just some curtain jerking midcarder from the start is a bit disingenuous.

The one that ended a month or so later with SaraTaker pinning DDP clean in the ring? That feud?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Yes.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DDP gave up getting paid for no work to come into the WWE and get paid much less to job to everyone. A terrible businessman, but he bounced back.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah jeff jarrett is a lot of things but he is a world class hustler and I can respect that

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

JJ played the game to 100%, Buff played the first couple of levels and reused that footage for years.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Sandman McMahon posted:

Not all Undertaker feuds are equal, and frankly it's a lot more disingenuous to make it out like this was a good feud for DDP. He looked like a complete goober and as someone's already said, they even put Undertaker's then-wife over him. I think it's been more or less accepted as near fact that they intentionally buried the WCW guys at that time anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wasn't Undertaker pretty dogshit around then? I feel like it was close to that desert promo with Big Show.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wasn't Undertaker pretty dogshit around then? I feel like it was close to that desert promo with Big Show.

over the entirety of his career, 'Taker was lovely. It was only when he went to wrasslin' once a year with good opponents he started having good matches

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

Goldberg - WWF guy, like Goldberg is a Vince idea.
Scott Steiner - WWF guy in the 90s
NWO - 3 WWF guys
Rick Flair - is Rick Flair, you can't bury him

Buff, DDP, Booker T, etc. All owe nothing to Vince so of course they were burried

Sting was smart enough to hold out until they needed him more than the other way around.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Randaconda posted:

over the entirety of his career, 'Taker was lovely. It was only when he went to wrasslin' once a year with good opponents he started having good matches

'97 Taker was pretty amazing. 98 was the shockingly rapid decline of his ring work.

DDP was working with Bikertaker who could barely keep himself over let alone give anyone a rub.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

what?

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

DDP’s fed run was a good-ish idea (underdog scrapper punches above his weight-class by loving with King-poo poo Biker Taker to prove he’s also a big deal) that was HORRIBLY executed (stalker angle should’ve ended once the reveal happened; alas, it became the focus of the feud). Plus he was in his 40s, which immediately disqualified him from getting a main event run.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Jonny Nox posted:

nice troll

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I’d say Barry windham was pretty wasted in the wwf. He went from main event level in late 80s wcw to whatever the widowmaker was. Went back to the main event in wcw after he left wwf after a year or so.

Then he came back to wwf as the stalker after Hogan and Friends came to wcw. I’m pretty sure he gained some weight for his Stalker run but I think they could have done something with the guy during that new generation era.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Goldberg ... Golddust.

gently caress. Lol

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Now I want to see Goldberg wrestle in Golddust's outfit.

I can only imagine the sweat inside that thing.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The American Dream posted:

I’d say Barry windham was pretty wasted in the wwf. He went from main event level in late 80s wcw to whatever the widowmaker was. Went back to the main event in wcw after he left wwf after a year or so.

Then he came back to wwf as the stalker after Hogan and Friends came to wcw. I’m pretty sure he gained some weight for his Stalker run but I think they could have done something with the guy during that new generation era.

Arn and Tully didn't exactly light the world on fire as The Brainbusters either, although they did get the belts. Also Tully got suspended for coke at the end which affected future WCW contract offers and accelerated the end of his wrestling career.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Now I want to see Goldberg wrestle in Golddust's outfit.

I can only imagine the sweat inside that thing.

I can only imagine the quantity of cornstarch or Gold Bond powder or whatever you’d need to dust yourself in so that the suit doesn’t cling to you like a full-body rubber glove

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Tato posted:

Arn and Tully didn't exactly light the world on fire as The Brainbusters either, although they did get the belts. Also Tully got suspended for coke at the end which affected future WCW contract offers and accelerated the end of his wrestling career.

The tag titles mattered back in 89. Having those was meant you were better then demolition, the rockers, hart foundation, twin towers, strike force.

It always struck me as odd that they tested him the night before the ppv. Like who did he piss off so much that they wouldn’t just fire him after survivor series?

Was it like when they pushed dh smith then wellnessed him so they could say they take it seriously and just fired a guy that was in a main event feud against DX?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The American Dream posted:

It always struck me as odd that they tested him the night before the ppv. Like who did he piss off so much that they wouldn’t just fire him after survivor series?

Probably a lot of people. Blanchard was really good at pissing people off.

Barry Windham could have been everything in the world, but outside of about a two-year period, never seemed motivated enough to do it. By the mid-1990s his body was too shot, even if he did care to try. It's insane the amount of athletic and wrestling talent that Windham had.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, at his peak, Windham was one of the best wrestlers I've ever seen.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's insane the amount of athletic and wrestling talent that Windham had.
IIRC Windham never really worked out either. He was all natural.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Windham as I remember dated or married an heiress to Levi Jeans and rapidly decided "I don't actually need this wrestling poo poo"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

iamsosmrt posted:

Not all Undertaker feuds are equal, and frankly it's a lot more disingenuous to make it out like this was a good feud for DDP. He looked like a complete goober and as someone's already said, they even put Undertaker's then-wife over him. I think it's been more or less accepted as near fact that they intentionally buried the WCW guys at that time anyway.

If anything Undertaker has a long history of people being debuted and pushed solely to be fed to him. In that period they were even basically developing dudes in developmental specifically as potential Undertaker opponents. It was basically a niche more than a genuine upper card push position.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Plus he was in his 40s, which immediately disqualified him from getting a main event run.
HA!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

I agree completely. He also used to do the Stinger splash.

Randaconda posted:

Cena could have added the Stinger Splash to his moveset with no problem
He did! Though never regularly, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

JJ played the game to 100%, Buff played the first couple of levels and reused that footage for years.

Jarrett continually failed and wound up pretty much broke until he managed to get a producer job in WWE. He definitely did not play the game to 100%.