Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

DJExile posted:

Yeah Hogan was a lot of things but I don't think there was ever much talk about him working unsafe

There is a Lance Storm quote where he says "I have worked with Hogan, and he is so safe, I'd let him punch my kids."

So as much as a real life arsehole Hogan is, I'd say he never hurt anyone in the ring by being stiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BrigadierSensible posted:

So as much as a real life arsehole Hogan is, I'd say he never hurt anyone in the ring by being stiff.

What about the time he broke the Undertaker's arm in the ring when they were both fighting for PRIDE in the 70s?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
He killed Andre with that slam, that's not very safe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

DiBiase was originally supposed to win the tournament at WM, then lose to Hogan.

Hennig was supposed to be a transition champ to bridge Hogan and Warrior, I think

I believe Jake was another name.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There is a Lance Storm quote where he says "I have worked with Hogan, and he is so safe, I'd let him punch my kids."

Sid said Hogan is his favorite guy to work with for that reason.

Edit
https://twitter.com/ObserverQuotes/status/1361846881358340098?s=19

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 17, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hahahaha I've never heard that quote before. That's great

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

Ahmed Johnson was cool and his enemies in the locker room overlapped with the Harts.

I guess I thought he was unpopular with being sloppy, but I don't recall if he ever hurt anyone but himself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Red posted:

I guess I thought he was unpopular with being sloppy, but I don't recall if he ever hurt anyone but himself.

well he sent The Sultan to the hospital once

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Hulk never wrestled bad guys. They left the ring healthy because he didn’t have to bring down gods judgement on them, brother.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

I believe Jake was another name.
Yeah Hogan and Jake had a very short-lived program. After Jake (as a heel) got a huge face reaction from DDTing Hogan on The Snake Pit, Hogan went up to Vince and put a kibosh on the feud, so you can argue Hogan had a lot to do with Jake never getting even close to holding a belt during his prime in the WWF.

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 17, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't mind so much if we got the Savage feud instead because that was great, but it's disappointing that Jake pretty much went nowhere after that. As I understand it, that was down to his addictions and then his move to WCW being DOA after the change in management there? But man, it's still crazy how he went from being arguably one of the best WWF heels ever to spending Wrestlemania losing a quasi-squash match to a suddenly babyface Undertaker.

1992 WWF really was a bit of a mess as far as the main event went, huh? You had all these contenders - Hogan, Undertaker, Savage, Flair, Piper, Sid, Warrior, Jake, Perfect, Bret, Bulldog, even arguably HBK and Razor by the end of the year - but people were coming and going and falling in and out of favour so quickly that multiple ideas seemed to just get abandoned partway through.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Well that's cause the Steroid scandal took out a decent chunk of that talent along with injuries so by the end of the year you really only have few names on that list at main event level

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I think the best time for Perfect to be champ would have been late 1992. If they had held off on Bret and had Perfect beat Flair a month later instead then that might have worked out ok for a short run.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I think the best time for Perfect to be champ would have been late 1992. If they had held off on Bret and had Perfect beat Flair a month later instead then that might have worked out ok for a short run.

McMahon didn't feel he had that luxury.

Warrior whacked Flair in the head during a match, messing up his equilibrium and putting him out indefinitely. Flair dropped the belt to Hart days later. Flair turned out to be fine after a few weeks, but that wasn't known at the time of the injury.

Perfect was only turned because Warrior left the company in between then. Hennig hadn't wrestled since August 1991 because of his injuries and seems to have only had a couple of matches (one being Survivor Series) for the remainder of the year. In theory, Hennig would have been fine, but the WWF wasn't sure what was going on with him, either.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hennig working face in that brief period is still one of the strangest drat things

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DJExile posted:

Hennig working face in that brief period is still one of the strangest drat things

The initial return was great, but after Flair left, they had no idea what to do.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

DJExile posted:

They were never planning on turning him face AFAIK but Warrior gonna Warrior

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The B&V retrospective on that Flair/Hennig match, very much worth 15 minutes of your time.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Every drat time The Wall's music hits I flash back to, "That's the Wall brother!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
HEY WALL

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
IF YOU WANT SOME

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
COME GET SOME

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think one of my favorite wrestling videos is Bryan and Vinny talking about that bit. Something to the effect of, "Wall might as well have been on the loving moon!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Highspots account on YouTube just put up a new shoot with Scott Steiner for those who are interested.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

I think one of my favorite wrestling videos is Bryan and Vinny talking about that bit. Something to the effect of, "Wall might as well have been on the loving moon!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AKxsljxKhc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is he still teaching mathematics during the pandemic? Is Shoney's open?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

this loving rules

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This has been on my mind, but one of the reason Russo jumped ship to WCW had to be because they'd let him be on tv right?

He doesn't go whole hog on it with The Powers That Be, but he gets speaking lines.

But then we get to Russo/Bischoff reset time and he's out there getting physical, cutting promos, and what appears to be wearing shirts to show his physique or lack thereof. It's absolutely mental because he's not good at any of it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
He might not have intended to be on TV initially, but I mean, when he books himself to beat the poo poo out of Booker T* and then win the Big Gold Belt off of him (even if the win was flukey), it's pretty clear that his ego is now a significant factor in how he books the main event scene.

*Seriously, he spends way too much time in that match just battering the gently caress out of Booker T.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

This has been on my mind, but one of the reason Russo jumped ship to WCW had to be because they'd let him be on tv right?

He doesn't go whole hog on it with The Powers That Be, but he gets speaking lines.

But then we get to Russo/Bischoff reset time and he's out there getting physical, cutting promos, and what appears to be wearing shirts to show his physique or lack thereof. It's absolutely mental because he's not good at any of it.

Russo was on WWF TV as Vic Venom.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

And full disclosure, I don't even really care for when Mr McMahon has won the belt even if he vacates it the very next show or whatever and also at this same time Stephania being the women's champion (twice!). I guess that's just a personal hang up that I don't want non-wrestler characters holding gold.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Russo was on WWF TV as Vic Venom.

Wasn't that mostly on like... Livewire? Was that the show? That's a lot more palatable than what he's doing on Nitro.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 19, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Some people like to claim that for all of his flaws, at least Russo was a good promo. These people are wrong.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

TheKingslayer posted:

And full disclosure, I don't even really care for when Mr McMahon has won the belt even if he vacates it the very next show or whatever and also at this same time Stephania being the women's champion (twice!). I guess that's just a personal hang up that I don't want non-wrestler characters holding gold.

Wasn't that mostly on like... Livewire? Was that the show? That's a lot more palatable than what he's doing on Nitro.

Livewire and this sort of ad when he was editing one of the magazines they were publishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7qchwypLbI

I think he may have also been part of the Billionaire Ted sketches back in the day too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Some people like to claim that for all of his flaws, at least Russo was a good promo. These people are wrong.
He probably could have been a good promo but the problem is all his material was written by Vince Russo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A question:

Back when Russo was with WWF, especially when he was head writer, was it all/mostly written by him? Or was it is as it is today, written by committee/writers room, and then thrown away and re-written by Vince?

I think when he was with WCW he had more control. But even so, were the wrestlers forced to recite his promos verbatim as they are now, or could they at least try to get some wriggle room, and/or license to perform it their way around the edges?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Spring Stampede 2000 is an impressive assault on my senses so far

Mark Madden and Schiavone are trying to scream over each other to say nonsense. Everyone's entrance music is insanely loud and the first couple matches have so many people on the inside and outside of the ring it's hard to focus on anything.

I think I'm gonna need to lay down after this one.

EDIT
Well I'm done with that one and welp

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 19, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1362766347176919049

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So they're trying to turn Hogan into Steve Austin in the Spring/Summer of 2000. I mean I guess that's a thing you could do, sure.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

So they're trying to turn Hogan into Steve Austin in the Spring/Summer of 2000. I mean I guess that's a thing you could do, sure.

FUNB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I had no idea how relatively quick the Arquette angle happened after the title reset. Holy poo poo.