Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In terms of a dude to react to the dumb poo poo WCW Schiavone was probably the best WCW had. I liked Hudson a lot on Saturday Night but he was out of his league when he had to try to add emotion to some of the dumb bullshit WCW did. Schiavone at least always sounded morally offended by what the heels did. If you kept announcers to their role of just "Meaningless match guy" and "knows what a lucha mask is" Hudson and Tenay were #1 and #2, but as a lead announcer Tony was kind of right for WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tony made a great product better, and a bad product immeasurably worse. What I liked best about him is that he had baseball announcer voice, which lent a lot of credibility to the "sport."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As terrible as Tony could be at times, he definitely had a good sports announcer voice. He wasn't really too good at things like calling a match or knowing what moves are being performed. So not terribly unlike the current WWE announce teams (with the exception of Regal).

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE

LordPants posted:

It's not the craziest thing we've heard in this thread. The Craziest was that Raven's theme was better than "Come as You Are".
I think this. :( A lot of their ripoff songs were pretty good.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Volcano Style posted:

A lot of their ripoff songs were pretty good.

This can also be applied to exactly one ripoff song TNA has produced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAzkR-VZ6g

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RZApublican posted:

This can also be applied to exactly one ripoff song TNA has produced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAzkR-VZ6g

You forgot the greatest TNA theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP-ZvYjOkj0

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Another thing WCW had going for it was it had the hottest women. Torrie and Stacy Keibler alone were just in a completely different league above the WWF stars like Jacqueline and Sable. Keibler's so hot I think she set the world record for holding George Clooney's interest, and that was a decade later.

That's not even mentioning Kimberly Page and the nitro girls. Of course the women's division story lines and matches were just horrible right around 1998+, just like everything else. I think they honest to god had an Asian valet named Kimono Wanalaya.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

greatn posted:

Another thing WCW had going for it was it had the hottest women. Torrie and Stacy Keibler alone were just in a completely different league above the WWF stars like Jacqueline and Sable. Keibler's so hot I think she set the world record for holding George Clooney's interest, and that was a decade later.

That's not even mentioning Kimberly Page and the nitro girls. Of course the women's division story lines and matches were just horrible right around 1998+, just like everything else. I think they honest to god had an Asian valet named Kimono Wanalaya.

Kimona was in ecw, she did eventually end up in wcw but under the name Leia Meow

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They did, but that was ECW's name for her. In WCW she was the much more progressively named Leah Meow.

.......yeah.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Elisabeth was smoking hot in wcw.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Until she got assaulted by Goldberg wearing pink tights. The announce team cracked the case right away, Goldberg wears black tights! He must be innocent! Or so it would seem. Would you believe Goldberg was sinister enough to wear decoy tights? It was the perfect alibi.

The reason he took so long to cross the street was he had to get rid of the incriminating pink tights first.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Endless Mike posted:

As terrible as Tony could be at times, he definitely had a good sports announcer voice.

Wrrrrrestling fans, this... is the greatest moment... inthehistoryofourgreatsport.

Sure is, Tony. :jerkbag:

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 26, 2014

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

As terrible as Tony could be at times, he definitely had a good sports announcer voice. He wasn't really too good at things like calling a match or knowing what moves are being performed. So not terribly unlike the current WWE announce teams (with the exception of Regal).

Tony was great most of the time. He didn't work well in Russo's version of WCW, that's where he felt out of place. He was a company man who loved playing by the rules. Uptight, prude, easily offended, and just perfect for the job. Yeah, he had silly moments like Tank Abbott wanting to shave a non-existing beard, or the 'butts in seats' thing, but stuff like that is emphasized in hindsight, thanks to WWE's revisionist history of WCW, always pointing out the crap. But Tony also made me mark out for Goldberg, DDP, Sting, he helped put Jericho and Raven over, and he helped Hogan be a true heel. Raven's arrival to WCW could have fallen flat if it wasn't for Schiavone hyping both him and Stevie Richards.

I never liked Zbysko. He was like a douchey, egotistical version of Al Bundy. I was a WCW mark and mostly against the nWo, but I always loved the Wolfpac and cheered for the nWo against Zbysko. The way he handled Spicolli's death, and how he talks about Jericho these days, only furthers my dislike of him.
Tenay literally helped me as a fan, to better understand wrestling overall. I didn't like Hudson, and I really hated Madden, as far as voices go, his was terrible. Mongo was also terrible, and Bischoff's voice is annoying.

It's funny, Schiavone is known as the voice of WCW as much as JR is the voice of the WWE (well, WWF), but originally, it was the other way around. Schiavone and Jesse Ventura made a great team for both companies. Michael Cole has been significantly improving, he's been calling matches and putting guys over, making sure the heels seem strong, but he's working with JBL and Lawler, and one of them is surplus. Personally, I prefer Schiavone to any of them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Schiavone stopped carrying around the time they started making him drink Surge. On their web radio show after the match he was mocking the whole thing: "For WCW I'm Tony Schiavone and I love Surge!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LordPants posted:

It's not the craziest thing we've heard in this thread. The Craziest was that Raven's theme was better than "Come as You Are".
Was Raven's entrance song "Eighties?"

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I enjoyed this.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Halloween Jack posted:

That is an esoteric reference, but :drat:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Even if Tony Schiavone is a tremendous dick, I will still love him for the fact he was the guy that tried to make sense of WCW's cokefueled booking moments.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Halloween Jack posted:

:golfclap: Very, very nice.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

My opinion on WCW announcers is hazy because every time I hang out on Tuesdays watching old Nitros w/ Rafter et al. they talk about everything EXCEPT the match. Like, they might comment for one or two moves (usually along the lines of "Wow look at that!") but that's about it. Then 50 guest announcers come sit in the booth for some dumb reason.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 27, 2014

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
stevie ray was easily wcw's best commentator, followed by dusty. however both of them required tony so they could yell "TONY!" incessantly

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I might still have it at home but "tony.mp3" is just a collection of stevie ray saying "let me axe you something tony" and it is beautiful.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I suspect anyone who finds WCW's announcing superior to WWF's at the time might have had legitimate health issues during the time period, possibly requiring heavy doses of morphine administered around 7:55 p.m. ET each Monday night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

david carmichael posted:

stevie ray was easily wcw's best commentator, followed by dusty. however both of them required tony so they could yell "TONY!" incessantly

It was also fun when he said "Larry Legend."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Jerry Lawler got the WON best commentator award in 1995; how did that happen? I'd take Michael Cole over what I remember of Attitude-era Lawler any day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Jerry Lawler got the WON best commentator award in 1995; how did that happen? I'd take Michael Cole over what I remember of Attitude-era Lawler any day.

Lawler was legitimately pretty funny back in 1995.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It's been a long while since I've gone back and watched anything from that era, but I want to say Lawler didn't enter his insufferable, screaming about puppies stage until... 99? 98? And early one he still had some redeeming features, at least.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Rodney the Piper posted:

It's been a long while since I've gone back and watched anything from that era, but I want to say Lawler didn't enter his insufferable, screaming about puppies stage until... 99? 98? And early one he still had some redeeming features, at least.

Did that coincide with his hilarious balding pattern?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we cracked the code!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rodney the Piper posted:

pre-puppies, we got Lawler's entertaining tirades against the Hart family, jabs at stereotypes and other heelishness. It was pretty fun.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Shawn Micheal's has really kind hair... the kind that grows on a donkey's rear.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

pre-puppies, we got Lawler's entertaining tirades against the Hart family, jabs at stereotypes and other heelishness. It was pretty fun.

If you liked heel announcers in 95-96 Lawler was incredible. Especially because he'd often get physical so you could see him get his comeuppance, something you wouldn't get with Ventura. I've never been super into heel announcers, but watching old Raws and PPVs I've been surprised how much I've laughed at Lawler's bad jokes.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

At the end, I meant that even when he was transforming into breast-obsessed Lawler, he still kept some of the traits of his earlier heel commentary work. I phrased that poorly, though.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
When Lawler first took over on color commentary, I hated him because he was replacing Bobby Heenan. After that, I hated him because he was terrible. He had a few funny jokes (and yeah, some good stuff at the expense of the Hart family) but they were outnumbered by the ones that weren't good enough to show up in Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: FUNNY! e-mails. Most of the time, the only good thing about his commentary is when he makes one joke too many, and JR starts laying into him. That's always fun.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I said it last week and I'll say it this week: If you are curious about the golden age of WCW, this is a great week to start watching.

The Steiner Brothers are in the middle of their leather daddy phase.
Sting and Macho Man are hanging out in the rafters.
The inexplicable Prince Iaukea push is starting.
Roddy Piper and Hulk Hogan are involved in segments that make sense!
The cruiserweight division is basically at its talent peak.
Mongo is getting weekly promo time.
The Giant and Lex Luger are forming the biggest, best tag team ever.

Next week is Super Brawl VII, so join us tonight at 8 for the go home shows!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DoctorDelaware posted:

When Lawler first took over on color commentary, I hated him because he was replacing Bobby Heenan. After that, I hated him because he was terrible. He had a few funny jokes (and yeah, some good stuff at the expense of the Hart family) but they were outnumbered by the ones that weren't good enough to show up in Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: FUNNY! e-mails. Most of the time, the only good thing about his commentary is when he makes one joke too many, and JR starts laying into him. That's always fun.

There were several points where I thought JR and Lawler were gonna brawl. JR took no poo poo and I loved it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

I said it last week and I'll say it this week: If you are curious about the golden age of WCW, this is a great week to start watching.

The Steiner Brothers are in the middle of their leather daddy phase.
Sting and Macho Man are hanging out in the rafters.
The inexplicable Prince Iaukea push is starting.
Roddy Piper and Hulk Hogan are involved in segments that make sense!
Mongo is getting weekly promo time.
The Giant and Lex Luger are forming the biggest, best tag team ever.

Next week is Super Brawl VII, so join us tonight at 8 for the go home shows!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

What is Alex Wright doing at this point? Include a sketch of his hairline for reference.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

What is Alex Wright doing at this point? Include a sketch of his hairline for reference.

Wrestling Hugh Morrus. Life is pain.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MassRafTer posted:

I can prove this with a single fact:

La Parka is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The chairman of WCW.