Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

MassRafTer posted:

Thinking of Goldberg and some questions last night reminded me how close we are to some big debuts for Tuesday Nitro.

We are currently in early March of 97.

Curt Hennig debuts in 2.5 months

Raven debuts in 3.5 months

GOLDBERG debuts in 6 months.

I hope Pat Tanaka has a few more entrances before September so people can get fooled into thinking it is the debut of DA MAN.
I thought Hennig and Raven debuted on the same Nitro? The way I remember it, there was the typical nWo clusterfuck near the end of the show with Hennig out of nowhere walking down the aisle towards the ring in a blue suit, and Raven jumping over the guardrail and confronting Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Chris Gaines posted:

I thought Hennig and Raven debuted on the same Nitro? The way I remember it, there was the typical nWo clusterfuck near the end of the show with Hennig out of nowhere walking down the aisle towards the ring in a blue suit, and Raven jumping over the guardrail and confronting Hall.

This is correct, although I'm pretty sure Raven didn't wrestle for awhile and just hung out in the crowd and gave promos. I believe his first match was against Stevie Richards at the final COTC that August.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
Pre-wrestling Goldberg looked reasonably similar to Steve "Doctor Death" Williams, which makes it pretty ironic that his wrestling image is constantly compared to a different Steve Williams.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris Gaines posted:

My mistake, I thought Hennig debuted in May.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Goldberg somehow made a tribal tattoo look not stupid. That alone is a testament to his physical charisma.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Goldberg rules, and I can't believe how much both WCW and WWF hosed up a can't-miss guy like that. Both WWE and TNA have given guys squash or streak gimmicks, and none have gotten over like Goldberg did.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Goldberg is a self-involved turd who probably didn't help matters much.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

Also, it was the age of the extremely charismatic talker being on top (Rock, Austin, Foley; even Trips could cut decent if WAYYY TOOO LONNGGGGGG promos) and Goldberg is basically a few steps down from Lash LaRoux in that department.

Nobody did Goldberg any favors by getting him anywhere near a mic. The dude needed a Cornette or Heyman-type manager that could talk like a motherfucker to cut his promos for him so he could just stand there looking menacing and who could've gotten his rear end kicked from time to time by the bigger name heels so that Goldberg wouldn't have to be made to look weak, thus protecting him and keeping him strong and also drawing more heat.

Sorry if that borders on fantasy booking, but goddamn, it's such a simple, simple concept for someone in Goldberg's position.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Goldberg's purpose in life was to breathe a few last gasps into the corpse of WCW so we could see more of the train wreck as it imploded.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Goldberg was a great promo, he just gassed out after three or four words. It depended on whether or not his opponent has a last name.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So long as he kept it short, he was just fine at getting across Unhinged Nutjob.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MassRafTer posted:

Goldberg was a great promo, he just gassed out after three or four words. It depended on whether or not his opponent has a last name.

What if WWE is shortening people's names to bring Goldberg back at Wrestlemania?

Who would the worst WCW promo be of the people they actually let talk?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

What if WWE is shortening people's names to bring Goldberg back at Wrestlemania?

A new golden age.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Mongo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DeathChicken posted:

So long as he kept it short, he was just fine at getting across Unhinged Nutjob.

I don't know, he got across unhinged nutjob pretty well in that episode where he sat taunting police officers and telling them he should be above suspicion when accused of sexual assault because he gives money to police charities.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sid.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What's great about Goldberg is he is classic wrestling booking.

You get a guy who's good at something. You make him do that thing a lot. You make him familiar, but different (He's the only guy with 'streak gimmick', his intro music is just drums and synth strings) you have him win a bunch and you stop him having his flaws exposed.

When Sullivan was interviewed he said they actually debuted him twice, and he didn't get the "goldberg" gimmick until they stopped calling him Bill Goldberg. I'll have to check that out I'm not 100% that.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 14, 2014

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Was that Nick Dinsmore as the boxer in that overlong Team Piper segment?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Can someone sum up Tank Abbott in WCW?

He just looks like a homeless guy who wandered into a wrestling event and started fighting people for their change.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, you just summed up Tank Abbott in UFC.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Red posted:

He just looks like a homeless guy who wandered into a wrestling event and started fighting people for their change.

He also would shave people's beards :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Tank was an early UFC star who was sold to the public as basically an average joe tough guy bar fighter. Some of his wildman image was true, but he also had a bit of am amateur wrestling background as well, and put some thought into his training (although it was usually incredibly stupid.) By the time UFC was getting kicked off cable and banned in several states his star had faded, but he was still a pretty good bet to do pro wrestling along with Don Frye. WCW signed him initially to be a guy with a legit background who could work as a tough guy foil to Goldberg... but Tank was not suited to wrestling at all. They booked him pretty poorly too, and he was kind of meandering around until Souled Out 2000. The card was falling apart and the suggestion that the title be put on Tank was one of the things that got Russo shown the door. He didn't do much for another few months until he became 3 Count's biggest fan and became their bodyguard who eventually attacked them and stole their gold record. Then he got cut.

Don Frye on the other hand became a huge star in Japan because Eric Bischoff was too much of a dumbass to sign him. When they met Bischoff had Ernest Miller in the office and Miller kept bragging about how he could beat anyone in UFC and how UFC never had a real karate or kickboxing master. Frye laughed at him and said they had plenty, and after the Cat tried to talk down to Frye, Don basically told him he'd gently caress him up.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Red posted:

From what I've picked up by osmosis, Abbott showed up in UFC's early days when the sport of MMA was in a molten state, having not settled down into the form it would take several years to shape into. He was a 'legit' street fighter, as in someone whose fighting knowledge and skill consisted of getting into all sorts of brawls in bars and whatnot married to a fair bit of punching power. MMA was ruled by grappling in those early days, so someone who could actually win by striking or knockout stood out. However, Abbott's fighting depth was very limited, and hence he flamed out pretty quickly. Still, he had produced some impressive looking knockouts, so WCW grabbed him up. Of course, being a 'skilled bar brawler' doesn't translate into wrestling skill or charisma, so Abbott is mostly rememebered for when WCW gave up trying to get him over as a killer badass and instead made him a Three-Count groupie.

Edit: Beaten like if I got into a fight with Tank Abbott.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

His initial gimmick of "Punches the other guy unconscious and then leaves while the ref is 10 counting" was pretty cool, until you realized he should have been counted out in every match. Hell, maybe he was.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Abbot was an amateur wrestler and boxer so his "image" as a streetfighter was bullshit; he had better training that most folks he was fighting in those daysl.\\

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Tank should have just been a pro wrestler in the first place.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As far as actual fighting ability goes, Tank was a tough guy who had some amateur wrestling and boxing experience. He would beat ten shades of poo poo out of guys who were "experts" in Master Kim's Tae Kwon Daycare, or big fat guys who were supposedly trained in fake martial arts like ninjitsu and "trap fighting," but he didn't do so hot against guys who were actually trained full-contact fighters.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that he had about as much cardiovascular conditioning as Bob Sapp definitely has a lot to do with that.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

Red posted:

WWE signed Severn and Shamrock, so WCW had to sign their very own UFC dude and unfortunately they landed upon signing a fat blob of a charisma vacuum from the paleolithic era of UFC when it consisted of exponentially more fat dudes who threw nothing but haymakers constantly than it does now. Severn and Shamrock could actually wrestle (and Severn was a former NWA Heavyweight champ at that point, too) and were good. Tank... was not.

He had zero charisma, looked like poo poo, couldn't talk, couldn't wrestle, couldn't sell, got paid way too much to do effectively nothing and is infamous for two things: holding a knife to a dude's throat on PPV and threatening to "loving kill him" (which the announcers sold as Tank "threatening to shave his beard" (the dude didn't have a beard)) and then being put in a joke gimmick with 3 Count (a WCW boyband gimmick) where he was their groupie and would come dance with them in the ring. A perfectly reasonable throwaway joke gimmick that actually got some laughs and it only cost WCW probably upwards of a million dollars (if not more; rumor has it they were wanting to send Abbott to get SINGING LESSONS). Russo also loved the guy and wanted to give him the loving world title because "people would believe it". As quite possibly the only bright spot of Tank's WCW tenure, this idea either lead or contributed Russo losing his role as booker.

Tank was basically everything that was wrong with WCW. If you were playing "WCW waste of money" bingo with a Tank Abbott card, the only space you wouldn't cover is "Former WWF Star/Hulk Hogan's IRL friend". Otherwise, it'd be a clean sweep.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Occupy Japan posted:

WWE signed Severn and Shamrock, so WCW had to sign their very own UFC dude and unfortunately they landed upon signing a fat blob of a charisma vacuum from the paleolithic era of UFC when it consisted of exponentially more fat dudes who threw nothing but haymakers constantly than it does now. Severn and Shamrock could actually wrestle (and Severn was a former NWA Heavyweight champ at that point, too) and were good. Tank... was not.

He had zero charisma, looked like poo poo, couldn't talk, couldn't wrestle, couldn't sell, got paid way too much to do effectively nothing and is infamous for two things: holding a knife to a dude's throat on PPV and threatening to "loving kill him" (which the announcers sold as Tank "threatening to shave his beard" (the dude didn't have a beard)) and then being put in a joke gimmick with 3 Count (a WCW boyband gimmick) where he was their groupie and would come dance with them in the ring. A perfectly reasonable throwaway joke gimmick that actually got some laughs and it only cost WCW probably upwards of a million dollars (if not more; rumor has it they were wanting to send Abbott to get SINGING LESSONS). Russo also loved the guy and wanted to give him the loving world title because "people would believe it". As quite possibly the only bright spot of Tank's WCW tenure, this idea either lead or contributed Russo losing his role as booker.

Tank was basically everything that was wrong with WCW. If you were playing "WCW waste of money" bingo with a Tank Abbott card, the only space you wouldn't cover is "Former WWF Star/Hulk Hogan's IRL friend". Otherwise, it'd be a clean sweep.

Severn and Shamrock were signed well before Tank, two years prior in Shamrock's case.. It wasn't a response signing, it was a signing that made a lot of sense because Tank did have a ton of charisma and was really popular. Hell he was so popular UFC would bring him back for three straight losses after his pro wrestling run ended. He wasn't the best option to sign (Frye was) but he was definitely a guy to take a chance on.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Severn and Shamrock were signed well before Tank, two years prior in Shamrock's case.. It wasn't a response signing, it was a signing that made a lot of sense because Tank did have a ton of charisma and was really popular. Hell he was so popular UFC would bring him back for three straight losses after his pro wrestling run ended. He wasn't the best option to sign (Frye was) but he was definitely a guy to take a chance on.

Huh. I could've sworn it was pretty shortly after Severn and Shamrock came in. Shows what I know, I guess. I guess I always chalked him up to the stupid WWF copycat poo poo WCW did a lot roughly around that time. Frye would have been pretty great though, but knowing WCW, they'd have found a way to gently caress that up. At least pushing him as a legit potential world title holder wouldn't have been so laughable. Don looked like one bad motherfucker at the time whereas Tank pretty much always looked like Jim Neidhart if the Anvil had really let himself go.

How much of Abbott's booking was Bischoff responsible for at all? Any at any point? I think it'd be pretty ironic if Bischoff, who apparently mocked how the WWF booked Shamrock (going so far as to allegedly push Goldberg in the way that he thought the WWF should have pushed Shamrock) was in any way responsible for Tank bombing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Occupy Japan posted:

Huh. I could've sworn it was pretty shortly after Severn and Shamrock came in. Shows what I know, I guess. I guess I always chalked him up to the stupid WWF copycat poo poo WCW did a lot roughly around that time. Frye would have been pretty great though, but knowing WCW, they'd have found a way to gently caress that up. At least pushing him as a legit potential world title holder wouldn't have been so laughable. Don looked like one bad motherfucker at the time whereas Tank pretty much always looked like Jim Neidhart if the Anvil had really let himself go.

How much of Abbott's booking was Bischoff responsible for at all? Any at any point? I think it'd be pretty ironic if Bischoff, who apparently mocked how the WWF booked Shamrock (going so far as to allegedly push Goldberg in the way that he thought the WWF should have pushed Shamrock) was in any way responsible for Tank bombing.

Bischoff was still in charge of WCW until September of 99, so he was still there for the initial Tank push, but Kevin Nash was the booker at that time. Bischoff was so out of it by 99 that it's entirely possible he wasn't paying attention to anything other than his own storylines and what Hogan was doing. That doesn't absolve him of blame, that's just probably how he was.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Tank definitely had a gimmick around the time of the "reset episode", where he would just randomly come out and beat up fat guys like Mark Madden. On the reset episode itself, he even re-introduces himself as "a shootfighter", which in the context of pro wrestling seems like both a sequel to the classic storyline of Buff Bagwell vs The Writers, and a pre-cursor to another classic storyline in "Goldberg's not following the script!". Then he lost to David Arquette.

Maybe they were inspired by the Friends storyline where Monica's rich boyfriend tried to fight Abbott and lost horribly. Swerve?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Iskanderson posted:

Was that Nick Dinsmore as the boxer in that overlong Team Piper segment?

According to IMDB, it's a guy named Craig Mally. He doesn't have a lot of credited appearances, but Piper was the leading role in most of them.

The kickboxer guy is Layton Morrison, and he's been a Hollywood stuntman/coordinator for a while. He also did some prior work with Piper.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The Dragons/Three Count ladder match with Tank in 3C's corner is one of the strangest matches I have ever seen. Tank certainly embraced that strange situation for all it was worth.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

The Dragons/Three Count ladder match with Tank in 3C's corner is one of the strangest matches I have ever seen. Tank certainly embraced that strange situation for all it was worth.

I think Tank said it was the most fun he had in WCW.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

bobkatt013 posted:

I think Tank said it was the most fun he had in WCW.

IIRC it was the most over Tank Abbot got too. That's probably because pro wrestling is supposed to be fun.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I object to the idea that pro wrestling is supposed to be "fun." Fun gets you dance-offs and dancing with kids celebrations and comedy gimmicks everywhere on the card. Pro wrestling is supposed to be entertaining and what most people find entertaining is drama and conflict.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

epitasis posted:

I object to the idea that pro wrestling is supposed to be "fun." Fun gets you dance-offs and dancing with kids celebrations and comedy gimmicks everywhere on the card. Pro wrestling is supposed to be entertaining and what most people find entertaining is drama and conflict.

Pro Wrestling needs to be fun, but also entertaining. It is a fine line and when its too much fun, it gets stupid. When there is too much drama and conflict it goes up its own rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

epitasis posted:

We obviously have very different definitions of fun.

bobkatt013 posted:

Pro Wrestling needs to be fun, but also entertaining. It is a fine line and when its too much fun, it gets stupid. When there is too much drama and conflict it goes up its own rear end.

Exactly. Conflict in wrestling should be more about The Rock is pissed off because Stone Cold Steve Austin dumped cement in his car, or C.M. Punk stole the Undertaker's best friend's ashes and is rubbing them into his loving chest because gently caress the Undertaker, as opposed to Randy Orton assaulted Triple H's family, and Triple H is devastated and wants to kill him. The conflict in wrestling needs to be over the top, not I R SERIOUS wrestling. I mean, I'm not saying it never works, but the over the top stuff always always always gets over more.

Just my personal taste, I guess.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 14, 2014