Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Having lived through both, 99 before Russo and 2000 under Sullivan before Russo and Bischoff are the two worst periods.

Russo was a car-wreck. It was awful and tragic, but it was at least something to watch. The summer of 99 was just... ugh.

What was happening in the summer of 99? I really don't remember this period as being awful, just a decline, please refresh my memory. I do remember Jericho leaving WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Summer '99 is Sid running in to spoil every decent match and Macho & Nash trying to pour poo poo on each other. It also has the Hummer. It's easily the worst period, showing pure contempt for the audience and the talent. I also think Russo's unwatchable but at least he pushed dudes and attempted to entertain someone other than Hulk Hogan. The Sullivan shows barely registered with me, since most of my favorite guys were gone so who the hell cares, let the ship sink.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Halloween Jack posted:

He was at Denny's for a little while, but they had the sense to fire him for calling everything a sidewalk slam.

This is the greatest joke in the history of our sport

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What seems to have changed most is that even by spring 99 they've kind of lost any sense of good pacing. You have the infamous Nitro with no wrestling in the first hour, and it's not like they took that time to do angles and major plot developments- it's just a bunch of random filler. Outside of any specific bad angles or booking, it just fails as television.

Granted the last Ep on the stream was actually pretty good thanks to some solid matches and Ric Flair still being dependably entertaining in the most bullshit-packed segment of the night. But you can tell it's increasingly an anomaly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

WAVY TV in Norfolk this past week did an interesting feature on former WCW and WWF announcer Tony Schiavone. Schiavone, now 58, is studying to become a Barista at Starbucks.

Regarding his training he’s doing right now for a second job at Starbucks, he said,“The reason I’m doing that is because they have great benefits. It’s a great place to work. I’ve always loved Starbucks. I’ve got time and I want to fill up my time working. I really do. I want to stay busy.”

Best coffee in the world

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Tony Schiavone is like a reverse Pat Cummins :smith:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
It's astounding to me that Schiavone is on the short list of people in the wrestling industry who managed to burn every possible bridge left to them.

Hell, even Benoit, Snuka, and Dynamite Kid still have people that defend them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shiki Dan posted:

It's astounding to me that Schiavone is on the short list of people in the wrestling industry who managed to burn every possible bridge left to them.

Tony didn't really burn any bridges, he was basically done with wrestling after WCW.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Shiki Dan posted:

Did Asylum-era TNA ever have Schiavone in it? That seems like something that would have happened.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

RZApublican posted:

Did Asylum-era TNA ever have Schiavone in it? That seems like something that would have happened.

quote:

In 2003, Schiavone made an appearance on NWA TNA during one of their weekly pay-per-views. Schiavone, unrecognizable with bleach blonde hair and a beard, interrupted an interview with Goldylocks and Percy Pringle and proceeded to cut a worked shoot promo.[4] He started by insulting Pringle's weight, telling him to stand near him because he "needed to look thin". He then insulted Goldylocks by claiming she only got her job with sexual favors. Mike Tenay, TNA's lead broadcaster and Schiavone's former WCW colleague, then entered the ring and the two got into a storyline argument over their careers and what happened during the last days of WCW, where both men lost their jobs. The promo ended when Vince Russo entered the ring and promised Schiavone a job with him. However, nothing ever came of that as Schiavone only made one more appearance in TNA[5] and he hasn't been seen on a televised wrestling program since.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RZApublican posted:

he made 2 cameo appearances for TNA in '03, and that's the last time he appeared on a wrestling show.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tony Schiavone doing a run-in to cut a worked shoot promo has to be one of the more Vince Russo things I've ever heard.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

RZApublican posted:

Tony Schiavone doing a run-in to cut a worked shoot promo has to be one of the more Vince Russo things I've ever heard.

Needs more poles.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

Chris James 2 posted:

Best coffee in the world

The greatest Venti Mocha Bullshit Thing in the history of our bean.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Starbucks will give you benefits if you work over 20 hours a week so it's possible he has some sort of medical issue he's trying to take care of.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

exploding mummy posted:

Tony didn't really burn any bridges, he was basically done with wrestling after WCW.

Didn't everybody he worked with hate him?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

natetimm posted:

Starbucks will give you benefits if you work over 20 hours a week so it's possible he has some sort of medical issue he's trying to take care of.

He's also almost 60 and it's not uncommon at all for people to pick up extra jobs for benefits/something to do at that age. I worked retail for a little over 8 years and there were a ton of people that didn't have to work but did for discounts, benefits, busy work, extra spending cash etc

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Didn't everybody he worked with hate him?

Yeah, Tony was a pain to work with towards the end of Nitro, but I think the only one who he ever royally pissed off was Heenan. (Mostly because of Monsoon)

But its hard to say that bridges were burned after WWF didn't offer him a contract after the sale and he basically chose to leave the wrestling industry to go back to what he originally had been doing.

He really never looked back, and he's seemed to be on pretty good terms with Tenay and others, after everything had a chance to simmer down.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Aesop Poprock posted:

He's also almost 60 and it's not uncommon at all for people to pick up extra jobs for benefits/something to do at that age. I worked retail for a little over 8 years and there were a ton of people that didn't have to work but did for discounts, benefits, busy work, extra spending cash etc

Yeah, when I worked there we had a few people with "real" jobs and lovely benefits who would find a way to shoehorn in 20 hours a week because Starbucks had a better health/dental/vision plan than your average office job.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

exploding mummy posted:

Yeah, Tony was a pain to work with towards the end of Nitro, but I think the only one who he ever royally pissed off was Heenan. (Mostly because of Monsoon)

But its hard to say that bridges were burned after WWF didn't offer him a contract after the sale and he basically chose to leave the wrestling industry to go back to what he originally had been doing.

He really never looked back, and he's seemed to be on pretty good terms with Tenay and others, after everything had a chance to simmer down.

Foley was buddies with him and said that despite the "that'll put butts in the seats" call (which obviously wasn't Tony's idea) they remained on decent terms

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Foley was buddies with him and said that despite the "that'll put butts in the seats" call (which obviously wasn't Tony's idea) they remained on decent terms

Tony did his boy a solid with that one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Didn't Tony call him immediately to apologize for that?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't Tony call him immediately to apologize for that?

He did, and I believe Foley's wife told Mick "Tony's on the phone, and he sounds so sad."

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the few times Tony's popped up on wrestling podcasts he seemed like a really decent guy, if a bit exhausted by the wrestling business. Then again, the poo poo he's seen over his career would wear out anyone. I'm glad he's alive and not bilking 40somethings for $30 autographs.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Some people just like to work. Keep themselves busy, have camaraderie with their coworkers and unlike volunteer jobs you don't have to deal with anything sad or creepy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Is he not the radio voice of the Gwinnett Braves anymore?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is he not the radio voice of the Gwinnett Braves anymore?

The interview said that it was going to be on the side of whatever else he was doing.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yes

https://twitter.com/WWEBigE/status/740537380650655745

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

For all the condemnation of Tony's announcer work I've heard over the years I will take his 'banter' with Heenan any day over the soulless corporate message replay devices masquerading as commentary that is modern WWE commentary.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

ChrisBTY posted:

For all the condemnation of Tony's announcer work I've heard over the years I will take his 'banter' with Heenan any day over the soulless corporate message replay devices masquerading as commentary that is modern WWE commentary.

There's nothing all that wrong with Tony. He's got a good sportscasting voice and he's got that similar instant credibility JR has. He has a good way of getting his voiced really pinched and panic-sounding when something exciting happens. I mean it's not GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY THEY KILLED HIM, but he certainly had a charm. Tony was never really the problem with WCW commentary, its more that they never got anybody who had chemistry with him AND cared AND was competent. They closest they got on those three metrics was Mike Tenay, who was not that bad either, but certainly didn't really #gamechange anything by his presence.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tony's signoff at the end of BatB 96 is still one of my favourite bits of announcing ever. Straight to hell.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Imagine Mick's HitC bumps with modern day announcers. It makes me cringe just thinking of it.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

HE JUST GOT BROKEN I HALF MAGGLE I LOVE IT

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
WE GOT A FLYING FOLEY!!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Tony is a fine announcer with a good voice, they just stuck him with lovely color guys who didn't care anymore (Brain), were incoherent (Dusty), were awful (Larry Legend), or were Mike Tenay.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Tony also had to announce for a ton of historically bad wrestling shows. If all JR got to commentate was Brawl For All from 1999-2001 before vanishing off the face of the earth people would think little of him too.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Tony is a fine announcer with a good voice, they just stuck him with lovely color guys who didn't care anymore (Brain), were incoherent (Dusty), were awful (Larry Legend), or were Mike Tenay.

What about mongo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What about mongo

He's got a bicycle

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What about mongo

Mongo ruled shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

What about mongo

Mongo, Heenan, Tony owned and I will not hear any other opinions on the matter. The funny thing is, even when Heenan doesn't care, he's still better than 90 percent of all announcers.