Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

He had a big feud with Bruno Sammartino in WWE

We mustn't forget his most important role, as "Crusher" Larry Zbysko in Paul E Dangerously's Dangerous Alliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also AWA World champ for a chunk of the 80s

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

I thought the "X on a pole" match was designed to get all the drama and tension of a ladder match, (will they/wont they manage to get the thing), but at a greatly reduced risk of injury.

Although the way that Russo booked them willy-nilly, and often with ludicrous things on the pole, (even though it was technically a forklift, I think it was still billed as a Judy Bagwell on a pole match), the "drama" was often not there.

Right, and that's kind of the larger point about Russo - occasionally entertaining things happened during his booking stints but most of the time they were by chance rather than design, because he never really understood what he was doing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeathChicken posted:

Also AWA World champ for a chunk of the 80s
Of course, Zybyszko marrying into the Gagne family had nothing to do with this.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mongo's dog for HOF

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Russo really loves props, and "on a pole" match are all about the props.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

ChrisBTY posted:

Is there a nicer way to say 'He made Sid suck less than he had for his entire career up until that point'

Sid's 1996 in the WWF was better than anything in his WCW run. :colbert: Ironically when Russo became head writer in 1997, Sid lost anything that made him cool.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A joke in the ADR?Paige thread made me think of this:

Did WCW ever make merchandise of Buff's really cool top hat? Did they make other wrestler hats?

Similarly, when they de-masked Rey, (to make him more marketable hehe), and put him in the Filthy Animals with the stupid horns, could fans buy versions of said stupid horns?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Did WCW ever make merchandise of Buff's really cool top hat?

I don't know about selling his hat in a larger way, but Buff's hat was sold on that QVC special that he hosted.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

RZApublican posted:

I don't know about selling his hat in a larger way, but Buff's hat was sold on that QVC special that he hosted.

Not mass-producing that hat lost them a big merch opportunity imo, I'd have bought the poo poo out of that hat

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Did WCW ever make merchandise of Buff's really cool top hat? Did they make other wrestler hats?

Similarly, when they de-masked Rey, (to make him more marketable hehe), and put him in the Filthy Animals with the stupid horns, could fans buy versions of said stupid horns?

IIRC, they didn't even sell replica Rey masks, which is baffling

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Buffs hat was responsible for 95% of his success

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That hat was the reason why I liked Buff back then. That, and the Blockbuster.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They took the mask off Rey because they thought it made him less marketable, so they didn't sell replica masks and by the same token I really doubt they sold those horns.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Halloween Jack posted:

They took the mask off Rey because they thought it made him less marketable, so they didn't sell replica masks and by the same token I really doubt they sold those horns.

Fair enough, I don't remember ever seeing any. My thinking was if they do X to him to make him more marketable, (mask gone, horns here), then maybe they would try and market thing X.

Follow up question. The horns were stupid sure enough, but were they dangerous? I don't know whaty they were made out of, or if they were hard or soft or rubbery or whatever. Did Rey ever injure himself or anyone else wearing them? Or even, did they come off during a match in a humourous and inept manner?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think WCW sold Rey masks after he was unmasked.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I think WCW sold Rey masks after he was unmasked.

That should have been in wcw.txt

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
According to a super legitimate poll on my Twitter Page, MassRafTer will now have to decorate his car to look like Grave Digger.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I need a Kevin Nash hat.

By...Thursday.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

so they made Buff-style top hats for wrestlers other than Buff

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean, at least that's in keeping with other wrestlers' action figures ringing up as Hogan's at the cash register.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I found one on ebay, but they can't get it to me in time. There's lots of DDP ones, though, and I could get it delivered to my hotel in Orlando, but I realized wearing that would be a real dick move to the person behind me.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Writer Cath posted:

According to a super legitimate poll on my Twitter Page, MassRafTer will now have to decorate his car to look like Grave Digger.

How in the crap did Meng not win that poll?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
From NXT https://twitter.com/DanielleKamela/status/847301197748781057

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I need this shirt

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I need it more.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is this our new Hulk Hogan raft?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
That shirt was printed for an exclusive crowd, only two people were given the shirts - Sting and Robocop

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I want to watch Nitro since I totally skipped it as a kid. What would be a good starting point?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

astrollinthepork posted:

I want to watch Nitro since I totally skipped it as a kid. What would be a good starting point?

You could join us tomorrow for the start of the Sullivan 2000 era for a really bad starting point.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, at least that's in keeping with other wrestlers' action figures ringing up as Hogan's at the cash register.
If I have to explain this again, I'm going to vomit, but a Toys R Us's POS system has nothing to do with royalties paid to wrestlers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

astrollinthepork posted:

The night after Uncensored '96 isn't a bad one since it's right about when the Outsiders angle starts, you see some of the most awful moments of the tail end of Hulk's initial babyface run, and also you miss the Uncensored '96 cage match which sucks rear end. (if you happen to be doing a RAW/Nitro simultaneous marathon, you also miss the Michaels/Hart ironman match which also sucks rear end)

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS

MassRafTer posted:

You could join us tomorrow for the start of the Sullivan 2000 era for a really bad starting point.
This sounds terrible.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The night after Uncensored '96 isn't a bad one since it's right about when the Outsiders angle starts, you see some of the most awful moments of the tail end of Hulk's initial babyface run, and also you miss the Uncensored '96 cage match which sucks rear end. (if you happen to be doing a RAW/Nitro simultaneous marathon, you also miss the Michaels/Hart ironman match which also sucks rear end)
This sounds marginally okay.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

astrollinthepork posted:

This sounds terrible.

This sounds marginally okay.

Just start from the Memorial Day Nitro in 96 so you can see the start of the angle and skip the horrible build and fallout to Slamboree.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Okay sounds good because the 3-25-96 starts off with this guy on the left talking and I don't know who he is but he is terrible:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah Slamboree '96 is in the running for Least Consequential PPV Ever, along with that time WCW decided BattleBowl could be it's own PPV rather than ruining Starrcade

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

astrollinthepork posted:

Okay sounds good because the 3-25-96 starts off with this guy on the left talking and I don't know who he is but he is terrible:

gently caress you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

astrollinthepork posted:

Mongo is badass. Get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
OMG I'm seeing an entrance with the American Males theme song

:edit:
lol okay so Ric Flair and Arn Anderson are in the loving opener? Wth?