Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Super Dan posted:

You might even say they got a slight return on Voodoo Child

If this were Reddit I would reply with “take your drat upvote and get out”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A few of us in Rarity's WWF PPV thread have been discussing the the 1994 feud between Dustin Rhodes and the Stud Stable and Dusty and Dustin teaming together. It's fun little angle from that summer that started with Dustin getting beaten down a few times by the Stud Stable. Dustin goes for the best option he knows: Arn Anderson.

Despite Anderson warning him that he was playing with fire, the two team up for a few occasions. I wish I could find Anderson's promo there because it was incredible.

So we get some tag matches on TV with the two, including this babyface cheating match against Bad Attitude (Steve Keirn and Bobby Eaton).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsfq9B1Vkrs

They make the Bash at the Beach pay-per-view and surprise, surprise. Arn Anderson turned on Dustin Rhodes and joined the Stud Stable.

Dusty Rhodes came out on Saturday Night to discuss this with Dustin, arguably one of his best promos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOli1iSjr7s

In the end, Rhodes clan teamed with a newly turned Nasty Boys team. There was a segment where Dusty went down to whatever it was the Nastys called their lair and earned their respect. They combined to beat the Stud Stable in War Games. Afterwards, there were some blowoff cage matches at some house shows, which is the one time I ever saw Dusty Rhodes wrestle in person.

It's a shame that Dustin couldn't stay healthy. His character was a such a wuss in WCW, but in 1994, he could go in the ring.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Thunder on the Network now.

First episode, nine minutes in:

Lee Marshall: "You remember Tony there was a comic strip years ago called Pogo? And it was a great political commentary and one of the things Pogo said was "We have seen the enemy and it is us." And I think that's what's happening within the nWo."

God drat I love it. Thank you WWE Network for bringing us this art.

Also, the cave set from the first few episodes of Thunder loving rules.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Lee Marshall's nonsensical ramblings were such a great part of early Thunder

RIP you were taken too soon

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, Arn as a babyface is the most bizarre thing to watch. It's Arn

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tato posted:

Lee Marshall: "You remember Tony there was a comic strip years ago called Pogo? And it was a great political commentary and one of the things Pogo said was "We have seen the enemy and it is us." And I think that's what's happening within the nWo."

holy poo poo that's a deep cut for wrestling commentary, I wonder how many people in the 90s had any clue what he was talking about other than hardcore comic nerds

e: like that's basically "what if Matt Striker was loving elderly"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So this is just sort of WCW Retrospective thread, right?

I was listening to Raven's awesome WCW theme and i found this video of Raven talking about leaving WCW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHlqinxJjAw

Near the start he talks about people in '99 that were sort of "waiting in the wings" to be main eventers. He lists himself, Booker T, Jericho and Konnan.

Is that accurate? Of course I remember there were tons of big names in WCW but they naturally couldn't all be in the main event. I think maybe only DDP was a "new guy" that was in the main event?

But were Raven and Konnan big enough to be main eventers at the time? I do remember Konnan being popular, although a lot of folks online hate him nowadays it seems.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It’s literally why Jericho left. Because he knew he was stuck in his spot and waaaaay more talented then mid-card. Probably not even upper mid-card in 99.

Raven was upper mid card that could have been a credible main event jobber every once in awhile.

Konnan probably would have been another buff bagwell at best. Jeff Jarrett at worst type of main eventer that no one wanted there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is just sort of WCW Retrospective thread, right?

I was listening to Raven's awesome WCW theme and i found this video of Raven talking about leaving WCW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHlqinxJjAw

Near the start he talks about people in '99 that were sort of "waiting in the wings" to be main eventers. He lists himself, Booker T, Jericho and Konnan.

Is that accurate? Of course I remember there were tons of big names in WCW but they naturally couldn't all be in the main event. I think maybe only DDP was a "new guy" that was in the main event?

But were Raven and Konnan big enough to be main eventers at the time? I do remember Konnan being popular, although a lot of folks online hate him nowadays it seems.

Jericho is only one of the biggest stars in the world so of course he could have. Booker T's main event runs were more of a mixed bag but he was capable of being a main event player. Konnan was only one of the biggest stars in Mexico at a time when they were hotter than anywhere on the planet. Raven had the promos to main event, he had a good grasp of psychology, and he was capable of getting over at that level. Now could they have all become main eventers at once? With the right booking sure. I feel like two new main event stars is a safer goal in a calendar year but the main thing is all four guys saw WCW had no interest in elevating them. Konnan was hugely over in 98 and at the start of 99 but never got elevated. Jericho ran on a treadmill no matter how over he got in 98, same with Booker and Raven got booked weaker as time went on.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm having trouble envisioning Hogan or Nash feuding with Konnan or Raven.
Less so with Jericho or Booker.
That might be the line.
Or maybe it's just because I've seen the latter two be pushed as Main Eventers so I'm more used to perceiving them as bigger deals.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The American Dream posted:

It’s literally why Jericho left. Because he knew he was stuck in his spot and waaaaay more talented then mid-card. Probably not even upper mid-card in 99.

Raven was upper mid card that could have been a credible main event jobber every once in awhile.

Konnan probably would have been another buff bagwell at best. Jeff Jarrett at worst type of main eventer that no one wanted there.

its basically why 3 of the 4 left or tried to leave WCW

Jericho realized he wasn't going anywhere, and left

Raven hated the booking direction and that he wasn't going anywhere and got his release

Konnan left when Sullivan replaced Russo in January 2000 but never actually got his release, so they suspended him for 3 months instead at which point Russo was back in as booker, so Konnan came back because he liked Russo.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

ChrisBTY posted:

That might be the line.
Or maybe it's just because I've seen the latter two be pushed as Main Eventers so I'm more used to perceiving them as bigger deals.

Main Event WCW/WWE Raven would be akin to Bray Wyatt - IE something people want to see but probably would end up booked terribly. Sadistic heel, probably one better with cronies. He sticks around long enough, he probably becomes what he was on the indies - a fallen hero face.

Konnan could have probably pushed higher as a DDP-type. Everyman style character who would probably be more catch-phrase driven. Dude was a legend in Mexico and getting the crowd behind you at that level is pretty universal everywhere. You need the booking though, and he didn't have that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I loving hate Konnan unless he's on WOR as a guest so I'm glad he got buried

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm wondering why the hell Konnan is a Russo guy.
I'm just picturing their April 2000 meeting.

"What's up K-Dogg"
"Yo' Ru-Dogg, what's the plan."
"Well the plan is to have you and your extraordinarily talented friend languish in the mid-card in unfocused, nonsensical bullshit angles from now until the end of days. Also, we'll stick you with Disco Inferno."
"Tight, what are the odds of another tequila on a pole match?"
"We fired all the other Mexicans so...maybe."
"Sweet. How are your Nazi friends."
"Probably not hating hispanics. I think."
"I love everything I'm hearing here. Keep it real Ru-Dogg."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NameHurtBrain posted:

Konnan could have probably pushed higher as a DDP-type. Everyman style character who would probably be more catch-phrase driven. Dude was a legend in Mexico and getting the crowd behind you at that level is pretty universal everywhere. You need the booking though, and he didn't have that.
I still can't get over how Konnan's fashion sense looked like someone hit a Randomize Everything button in a CAW.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

god hes the coolest

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
No that outfit rules actually. I mean when on a random Nitro he'd be like "okay I need a wifebeater, a plaid shirt, and some different plaid boxers. And some mechanic's gloves. Oh and I'm bald now. Okay a bandana, and a hat, and some sunglasses on the hat."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

ChrisBTY posted:

That might be the line.

I could see Konnan feuding with Hogan. His promo ability was top notch, and his in-ring style I think would have actually gelled very well with Hogan's. Nash is a different matter, but when Konnan was most over he was Nash's #2 in the NWO Red and Black (if I recall correctly) so if they'd actually gotten behind him in that role (and booked the Wulfpac in a non-stupid way), things might have been very different.

Raven's gimmick in WCW where he would sit in the corner and make his stable wrestle for him I think could have had a lot of legs against Hall and Nash, because he could hold his own against them on the mic and would never really have to wrestle them. But that would require Nash being willing to make him look good. His more natural opponents in WCW at the main event level would have been Flair and Sting, I think those would have been two real money feuds. DDP as well.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

I could see Konnan feuding with Hogan. His promo ability was top notch, and his in-ring style I think would have actually gelled very well with Hogan's. Nash is a different matter, but when Konnan was most over he was Nash's #2 in the NWO Red and Black (if I recall correctly) so if they'd actually gotten behind him in that role (and booked the Wulfpac in a non-stupid way), things might have been very different.

Raven's gimmick in WCW where he would sit in the corner and make his stable wrestle for him I think could have had a lot of legs against Hall and Nash, because he could hold his own against them on the mic and would never really have to wrestle them. But that would require Nash being willing to make him look good. His more natural opponents in WCW at the main event level would have been Flair and Sting, I think those would have been two real money feuds. DDP as well.

Kannan very nearly DID feud with Hogan. When they signed him the idea was to have a superface team of Konnan and Hogan against Dungeon of Doom I think? Then Konnan was to turn on him or somesuch. There's promo photos together, tug of warring over the WCW belt.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Almost huh?
Wonder why they didn't pull the trigger.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Almost huh?

MRT could probably answer that

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Fashion in 1999-2000 was god’s mistake.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hey Tygress, like my cow cosplay? Wanna touch it?

DAS ENOUGH

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Hey Tygress, like my cow cosplay? Wanna touch it?

DAS ENOUGH

I absolutely hated him trying to get “das enuff” over.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

fart blood posted:

I absolutely hated him trying to get “das enuff” over.

It's the worst part of WCW outside of everything else.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

ChrisBTY posted:

Almost huh?

He's just not on my level brother

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Re-watching WCW and re-reading old Observers, it's kind of shocking how little Kevin Nash and Scott Hall do once the nWo is in full effect. As The Outsiders they're perpetual tag champions, but they never defend the belts and when they do they just win in some quickie schmozz thing. For being so highly paid, over, and master politicians (at least Nash), they never really ever challenge Hogan or come close to becoming "the man." Both of them won World World 3, but neither were ever the focal point of the company. Hogan was always front and center, feuding with other old guys or having matches with celebrities. The Wolfpac angle fell into the background just like Goldberg as champ, because the spotlight was always Hogan Hogan Hogan. poo poo, even when Nash has the book and puts himself over Goldberg, he instantly gives the belt back to Hogan and takes a backseat again.

I guess none of it matters because when you're smart like Nash, you make a shitload of money without caring about dumb mark stuff like being the world champion. Hell, it's even better because when you aren't a singles champ, you don't ever have to wrestle and defend it. I was just kind of surprised at how seldom Nash and Hall wrestled during the peak nWo period and how rarely they were involved with top programs. It's hard to think of the height of WCW without those two jumping to mind immediately, but they were never the most over guys, even at the peak. poo poo, there's that one Observer tidbit during 1998 when WCW had to beg a licensee to make Nash air fresheners even though no one gave enough of a poo poo about Nash to buy his merch.

It's even harder to think of meaningful or GOOD matches the two ever had in WCW. I think Scott Hall's only single matches of note in WCW all involved ladders. I can't even think of a Nash match that approached decent.

Tato fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 26, 2018

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

MRT could probably answer that

I keep thinking there is a more interesting story to this than "Hogan thought Konnan wasn't on his level" but I can't remember anything.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Tato posted:

Re-watching WCW and re-reading old Observers, it's kind of shocking how little Kevin Nash and Scott Hall do once the nWo is in full effect. As The Outsiders they're perpetual tag champions, but they never defend the belts and when they do they just win in some quickie schmozz thing. For being so highly paid, over, and master politicians (at least Nash), they never really ever challenge Hogan or come close to becoming "the man." Both of them won World World 3, but neither were ever the focal point of the company. Hogan was always front and center, feuding with other old guys or having matches with celebrities. The Wolfpac angle fell into the background just like Goldberg as champ, because the spotlight was always Hogan Hogan Hogan. poo poo, even when Nash has the book and puts himself over Goldberg, he instantly gives the belt back to Hogan and takes a backseat again.

I guess none of it matters because when you're smart like Nash, you make a shitload of money without caring about dumb mark stuff like being the world champion. Hell, it's even better because when you aren't a singles champ, you don't ever have to wrestle and defend it. I was just kind of surprised at how seldom Nash and Hall wrestled during the peak nWo period and how rarely they were involved with top programs. It's hard to think of the height of WCW without those two jumping to mind immediately, but they were never the most over guys, even at the peak. poo poo, there's that one Observer tidbit during 1998 when WCW had to beg a licensee to make Nash air fresheners even though no one gave enough of a poo poo about Nash to buy his merch.

It's even harder to think of meaningful or GOOD matches the two ever had in WCW. I think Scott Hall's only single matches of note in WCW all involved ladders. I can't even think of a Nash match that approached decent.

Nash is a guy who booked himself to lose a retirement match.
Nash's M.O. was always 'maximize profit, minimize effort'
Or to a less cynical observer, "work smarter, not harder"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tato posted:

The 6-man where Hogan turned heel was their best WCW match

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Why would Kevin Nash want to be champion when he could get half as much money to work fewer dates and have a booking job?

Why would Scott Hall want to be champion when he could get paid to be drunk?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man...
So we know WCW couldn't ultimately live with Hogan.
But could they have lived without Hogan?
Was Hogan the only guy who ever moved the needle?
Was WCW's ceiling just 'make money off of Hogan until we can't anymore and die?'

Is that why Bischoff never seemed to think forward in his decision making at all?
Because he knew whatever he did, WCW would die anyway?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tato posted:

JR had a blog post from many years ago now where he said Nash was pretty much the smartest guy in the business. He knew how to make the money, save it and avoid killing himself while doing all this.

I suppose he probably did kill his legs though power bombing Big Show around three times. (the infamous botch and two pretty impressive ones)

Nash's best matches in WWF were with Shawn, weren't they? Maybe one of his bouts with Bret? The point is, the Kliq were good about putting each other over but there was nobody in WCW for Nash to really "try" to make look good. Just go in, do his five moves, ,aybe cut an awesome promo. collect a paycheck. No real reason to put in effort.

And Scott was really falling apart in WCW, wasn't he? I dunno when exactly that started. I just know healways had his issues and WCW only exacerbated them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ChrisBTY posted:

Man...
Was WCW's ceiling just 'make money off of Hogan until we can't anymore and die?'

Is that why Bischoff never seemed to think forward in his decision making at all?

Hogan was an asset from the start of the NWO to Starrcade. When he buried Sting instead of letting him go over, it was the end of the company. Not immediately, but that was when Hogan made it clear that he wouldn't ever allow anyone to be bigger than him, even if they should be.

It's not that Sting was going to be the big guy who would carry the company forward, but it should have shown the company not to trust that Hogan w/r/t Goldberg. Because if you ask about people who moved the needle, Goldberg did, for a while.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What did you guys think of Bischoff as an on-screen talent? So many focus on what he did or didn't do right as the guy backstage but I have always loved him as a heel, even as a kid. In some ways I prefer him to "Mr. McMahon" because Eric was always this weaseling little toady who just wanted to cling to the cool kids' bandwagon. It wasn't all about him, while the Corporation and all that did start and end with Vince.

Plus, Bischoff had that blowing kisses to the crowd while smirking and he just conducted himself like the smuggest rear end in a top hat alive. I loved it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

What did you guys think of Bischoff as an on-screen talent? So many focus on what he did or didn't do right as the guy backstage but I have always loved him as a heel, even as a kid. In some ways I prefer him to "Mr. McMahon" because Eric was always this weaseling little toady who just wanted to cling to the cool kids' bandwagon. It wasn't all about him, while the Corporation and all that did start and end with Vince.

Plus, Bischoff had that blowing kisses to the crowd while smirking and he just conducted himself like the smuggest rear end in a top hat alive. I loved it.

In WCW? Awful, mostly. I really liked him as RAW GM though, especially how occasionally he'd grow a spine if a heel got a little too familiar and he'd gently caress them over just to remind them who the boss was.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Man...

Sure, they don't renew Hogan's contract in early 98 or negotiate it so he no longer has creative control. Realistically that isn't going to happen and realistically the company is always going to be booked like poo poo so it doesn't really matter if Hogan is around or not, even though his presence does hurt things in late 98 when he and Nash decide to divide up the streak and the belt.

And that's why Nash never moved to actually feud for the title during the nWo hot period. If he feuded with Hogan that was the end, he'd get killed. If he avoided Hogan and did his own thing he'd be a huge star, make a lot of money and Hall could do all the work. The Outsiders had some good matches in late 96, and then Hall's life fell apart in 97 and from there they really didn't.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Eric was always this weaseling little toady who just wanted to cling to the cool kids' bandwagon.
If only this had been a purely onscreen phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Defiance Industries posted:

Hogan was an asset from the start of the NWO to Starrcade. When he buried Sting instead of letting him go over, it was the end of the company. Not immediately, but that was when Hogan made it clear that he wouldn't ever allow anyone to be bigger than him, even if they should be.

It's not that Sting was going to be the big guy who would carry the company forward, but it should have shown the company not to trust that Hogan w/r/t Goldberg. Because if you ask about people who moved the needle, Goldberg did, for a while.

What was the solution there I wonder? I guess the first solution would have been to not trust Hogan to not get into Patrick's ear and just not do a fast count angle. But when you give a man like Hogan CC, what are your options? What's keeping him from saying 'I'm keeping the belt forever and never losing. And also I demand to be put into a gauntlet match where I beat every single wrestler in the company on a single show."?