Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

The only house show title changes I remember were when they traded the TV title around on some how shows and always changed it back at a show before the next Nitro.

They traded the tag titles around oa couple of times, with the nazis winning it in Oberhausen and the Marmalukes won it back the next night in Europe. I remember the Steiners and Hatlem Heat doing it at least once for another time.

Technically I guess the Danving Fools winning the title at Millenium Final was also something similar, but that was at least a German PPV, not just a standard house show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

They traded the tag titles around oa couple of times, with the nazis winning it in Oberhausen and the Marmalukes won it back the next night in Europe. I remember the Steiners and Hatlem Heat doing it at least once for another time.

Technically I guess the Danving Fools winning the title at Millenium Final was also something similar, but that was at least a German PPV, not just a standard house show.

On that one they actually held it until the next TV, except they had to switch partners again for whatever reason.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

On that one they actually held it until the next TV, except they had to switch partners again for whatever reason.

Disqo sprained his back in the battle royale and was out of action for a few weeks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

Disqo sprained his back in the battle royale and was out of action for a few weeks.

Oh weird I remembered Wright having a subbed in partner on the PPV too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Oh weird I remembered Wright having a subbed in partner on the PPV too.

no that's right, but the match was announced at the start to be Dancing Fools vs Palumbo and O'Haire for the titles, but that went on late in the show. The battle royale where Disqo got injured on was the second match in the show.

They sent Flair out to explain Disqo's absence halfway through the show, so the best I've got is that they didn't know how bad Disqo's injury was at the PPV and they wanted Wright to get the big home country babyface pop (even if they beat him a match later) so they stuck Hugh Morrus in his place and kept to the plan

then they realized how bad it was and then shuffled the plans around on Nitro to get the belt off of Wright and Disqo immediately, so it could at least be defended

the German show was their last European tour stop afaik, so there were a few days off before Nitro

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 28, 2018

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
wcw would've lived if they kept the honky tonk man

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Low Desert Punk posted:

wcw would've lived if they kept the honky tonk man

They would have beaten WWF if they had pushed The Total Package to the moon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't remember all the details; how many matches did Sid lose while he was doing his streak angle?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't remember all the details; how many matches did Sid lose while he was doing his streak angle?

At least a dozen, mostly on house shows.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought the whole thing about Sid’s steak was that it was bullshit but he’s too unhinged that you risk death or dismemberment pointing it out.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

coconono posted:

I thought the whole thing about Sid’s steak

is it a ribeye or a t-bone

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Low Desert Punk posted:

He just said it was bullshit.
Not my favorite cut of the cow but Sid do Sid I guess.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Low Desert Punk posted:

I said did you forget your steak knife

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I was thinking about the usual heel/face dynamics, and how overwhelmingly the heel, at some point, is made to look foolish/stupid/goofy/funny/pathetic/childish etc. Above and beyond losing matches and/or fueds, the heel usually is humiliated and laughed AT, and made fun of.

This got me thinking about Hogan, and his awesome run as a heel Hollywood Hogan. Whilst I can remember him getting his comeuppance in the ring, and losing the odd feud, I can't off the top of my head remember any moments where Hogan was clowned as a heel.

Surely they existed, but were they not big enough, or memorable enough to stick with me?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Creative control, brother. We are talking a bald guy suing for being called bald.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was that time he sold the severed head in a box as if...it was his own head?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

I was thinking about the usual heel/face dynamics, and how overwhelmingly the heel, at some point, is made to look foolish/stupid/goofy/funny/pathetic/childish etc. Above and beyond losing matches and/or fueds, the heel usually is humiliated and laughed AT, and made fun of.

This got me thinking about Hogan, and his awesome run as a heel Hollywood Hogan. Whilst I can remember him getting his comeuppance in the ring, and losing the odd feud, I can't off the top of my head remember any moments where Hogan was clowned as a heel.

Surely they existed, but were they not big enough, or memorable enough to stick with me?

Warrior in the mirror.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Does the last decade of Hogan's life qualify as comeuppance?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

As Hollywood Hogan in WCW, Hogan lost the title...

- To Lex Luger, who he'd get it back from the same week.
- To Sting, in a garbage finish that made him still look strong.
- To Goldberg, who'd transition it back to him through Nash via the Fingerpoke of Doom.
- To Ric Flair, who was the heel in that feud.
- To Sting again, at which point Hogan was back to Hulkamania Hogan and Sting turned heel.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Warrior and Sting made Hogan look like a clown a few times during those respective feuds. Warrior with the mirror as mentioned and Disciple, Sting with the fake Stings and dummies. I forget if Hogan sold for the bird during that feud or if it was just Bischoff and some B teamers.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

MassRafTer posted:

I forget if Hogan sold for the bird during that feud or if it was just Bischoff and some B teamers.

Well I need to go listen to that Bryan and Vinny TNA episode again with the guard bird.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CascadeBeta posted:

Well I need to go listen to that Bryan and Vinny TNA episode again with the guard bird.

That's a different bird!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

MassRafTer posted:

That's a different bird!

As soon as I read it I could hear Bryan's voice screaming "Bischoff SOLD FOR THE BIRD" in my head.

Wait was there a second wrestle bird that I didn't know about?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CascadeBeta posted:

As soon as I read it I could hear Bryan's voice screaming "Bischoff SOLD FOR THE BIRD" in my head.

Wait was there a second wrestle bird that I didn't know about?

Yes. Eric Bischoff did in fact sell for two different birds owned by Sting in two different wrestling promotions

I want to say the WCW occurence was at the end of a Clash of Champions during the Starrcade 97 build

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

ecavalli posted:

Pretty sure the divorce alone was comeuppance. He did not leave that in great shape at all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ColeM posted:

Pretty sure the divorce alone was comeuppance. He did not leave that in great shape at all.

Linda was handling a good bit of his business dealings, if I remember right.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ecavalli posted:

He's back to being rich as gently caress thanks to the Gawker lawsuit and even though people think he's racist now this country is pretty racist so his fanbase doesn't care,

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Please let me know about any and all episodes with bird discussion.

Edit: Hogan has already defied expectations by living this long.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 1, 2018

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

People not into wrestling have largely forgotten Hogan said the thing. Kevin hart just did a commercial paying homage to him.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

RBX posted:

People not into wrestling have largely forgotten Hogan said the thing. Kevin hart just did a commercial paying homage to him.

i thought that was a macho man impression but regardless you're right

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Macho Man is hardly a paragon of moral virtue either.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

Macho Man is hardly a paragon of moral virtue either.

he told Hogan to man up and then hired nazis as bodyguards

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Remember when Savage released a diss track on Hogan wherein he called him a gay bitch for a) "dancing in tights as a ballerina" for a phone commercial and b) refusing to fight Savage in a charity boxing match?

Imagine, a pro wrestler, performing in spandex and turning down a full contact fight

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 1, 2018

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

He's back to being rich as gently caress thanks to the Gawker lawsuit and even though people think he's racist now this country is pretty racist so his fanbase doesn't care,

Has he actually gotten payment from that?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WWE has few reasons to bring back Hogan, it's not like they need him to make money right now. On the other hand the potential for backlash is still there even if it has lessened and they have been very careful to avoid anything political or controversial of late.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 1, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Aside from the whole Saudia Arabia thing, but that's the sort of politics that scans as apolitical to American news media.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

remusclaw posted:

WWE has few reasons to bring back Hogan, it's not like they need him to make money right now. On the other hand the potential for backlash is still there even if it has lessened and they have been very careful to avoid anything political or controversial of late.
21C Fox certainly wouldn’t let a racist appear on one of their networks

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Halloween Jack posted:

Please let me know about any and all episodes with bird discussion.

Edit: Hogan has already defied expectations by living this long.

It's only a matter of time i think. Not only is he diabetic but body builders are not exactly known for their healthy diets and his steroid abuse is well known. Like flair, I'm expecting it to happen anytime now.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ColeM posted:

It's only a matter of time i think.

Isnt this true for all of us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ColeM posted:

It's only a matter of time i think. Not only is he diabetic but body builders are not exactly known for their healthy diets and his steroid abuse is well known. Like flair, I'm expecting it to happen anytime now.
Yeah but we could have had this exact same exchange at any time since 1998