Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CubsWoo posted:

Considering his personal life and what his son did, do you really expect any actual car wrecks happening if Hogan is anywhere near the book?

Well they will only get hurt if they are a negative person

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 31, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gavok posted:

People talk about the Fingerpoke of Doom and the reformation of the nWo to screw Goldberg over, but there's one segment from a week or so later that's also retarded and nobody ever remembers it.

The idea is that with Goldberg on a rampage, he's going to start picking off the nWo like he's Jason Voorhees. This involved, I poo poo you not, spearing Kevin Nash in the shower.

To expand on that idea, Nash hangs out with his nWo buddies backstage and they gloat. Then he decides he's going to go take a shower. He gets naked and walks into the shower and THE CAMERA FOLLOWS HIM! There's a mosaic over his waist and even the announcers are shocked to be seeing this. All so Goldberg can stalk him and lay him out.
Was that the same night that Goldberg decided he could break a window with his bare hand?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

You know what would stop them? The law and going to jail for assault.

And if they just bought a ticket and sat in the crowd they'd be fair game to be shown on TV given all the disclaimers on your tickets and in the building.

Also he seems to forget the lawsuit that WWE had going against WCW - Scott Hall and Kevin Nash copy right infringement. I am sure a lawyer could have easily gotten the law suit thrown out by showing WWE characters on WCW television.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lamuella posted:

other miscellaneous dumb poo poo that WCW did over the years.

GI Bro: "Hey, we have an african american guy here who was half of a really hot tag team, had an awesome best of seven series with Benoit, and if handled right could be a major and credible main event face. Should we start pushing him to the moon?" "Nah, let's cover him in camo and give him a name that's a cross between a melvin van peebles movie and an action figure"

Luckily he did not decide to reuse the idea of him being a slave being led out by a white slave holder.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

coconono posted:

When I think of the thing that pretty much defined the stupidity of WCW, I think it was the junkyard brawl thing they had. That had the potential of being so good yet ended up being so so soooo bad.

And seriously injured about 90% of the people in it!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Matlock posted:

Hak: Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast!
Finlay: It jumped up a notch.
Hak: It did, didn't it?
El Dandy: Yeah, I crushed a man.
Hak: I saw that! El Dandy killed a guy! Did you throw him in a car crusher?
El Dandy: Yeah, there were fences, and a car on fire, and I killed a guy in a compactor.
Hak: El Dandy, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should probably find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Well who is there to doubt El Dandy?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MrBling posted:

Problem with that is the absolutely huge crossover of actors playing different roles on the shows. They just aren't in the same continuity.

Ya but Law and Order and Homicide are in the same continuity and they also have a huge crossover pf actors playing different roles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wojtek posted:

In Law&Order:SVU, ADA Novak is played by a woman who a few seasons prior was a criminal who raped a male stripper :eng101:

Yep and J. K. Simmons played a racist who ended up dying and then played the psychiatrist Emil Skoda

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

As much as Beefcake tries, he'll never be as shiny and golden as Hogan :(

One must wonder if Hogan constantly pitched Hogan vs. Beefcake in the WWF and they were only able to do it in WCW with Zodiac.

Nope they headlined one of the worst Starrcade's with this match. Good old Starrcade 1994 which also had a match between Jean-Paul Levesque and Alex Wright. Guess who won?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

This is probably the best place to post this, I won't be able to do the standard monthly Sunday Nostalgia show this week, would anyone have any objection to opening up the MYSTERY BOX on Saturday, instead? Otherwise I'll have to leave it at least a couple of weeks since Mania is next week.

Sure I will watch the show on Saturday

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TL posted:

I loved, loved, loved DDP's match with Goldberg at Halloween Havoc. Watch the crowd completely lose their poo poo when Page reverses the Jackhammer into the Diamond Cutter.

Diamond Cutter>RKO

That was a glorious gently caress up with the Hogan Warrior match then DDP v Goldberg which is all good. However Bitchoff did not tell the cable company that they were going longer and the ppv ended with the Hogan Warrior match. I am almost positive that thsi is repeated information but that match and situation just completely captures WCW's gently caress ups.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The American Dream posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt4Um7_U_UM&feature=PlayList&p=7C165210DF70224E&playnext_from=PL&index=38&playnext=2

Is this just the weird editing, or was Scott Steiner whacked out on quaaluides when he taped this.

Most likely whacked on quaaluides.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I believe it was a PPV in '96 or '97, but for one of the many matches that Piper and Hogan had, it was stated again and again in the build-up to the show that Piper come up with the stipulations for the match himself, and that it was clearly billed as a World title match. However, when Piper won with the sleeper and everyone filled the ring to celebrate, it was suddenly announced that he had only won the match, which was a non-title bout. Not only is that a blatant bait-and-switch, but also makes Piper look like one of the dumbest men alive.

One of my favorite moments from the Roddy Piper DVD is when he is talking about his time in WCW and he mentions that he did it all for the money. Another great moment is him talking about pissing off the Latino crowd by playing on his bag pipe the Mexican national anthem - La Cucaracha

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Jerry Flynn actually wrestled Bret Hart the night after his concussion against Goldberg.

As for WCW jobbers, I actually thought High Voltage had potential.

The greatest thing about WCW jobbers though is that Mike Enos and Rick Fuller were unlocked in the game WCW/nWo Thunder by beating it with certain guys (Roddy Piper for Enos, Alex Wright for Fuller). Ric Flair, on the other hand? He had to be unlocked via code/Gameshark and had no special moves. He was a throw in, along with the "Inland Crew Bonus Wrestlers" such as Zoomie, Sleep Dopep, Dude Man, Wrestling Matt, Veal and many... many others.

Well he was most likely originally planned for the game but due to the legal issues he was taken out, but his skin was still in there and they did not bother getting rid of the code. Or it could have been due to the fact it was Thunder the worst WCW video game until they decided that what a wrestling video game did not need was a ring, and giving Lance Storm royalties.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

In WCW was there any point where the right hand knew what the left was doing?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Cob posted:

I can only imagine now a heel who wants to prove he is the baddest dude in the company. So he says he is a bigger bad dude than all of the other bad dudes on the show put together. Then he sets out to prove it by running in and beating up all the babyfaces currently in feuds on the show.

I can only imagine Scott Steiner doing this.

Sid basically did this except he would just beat up people. Then they would count towards his winning streak.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wazzu posted:

WCW was a portal leading to the abyss, with no bottom possible.

I am beginning to think that staring at WCW is a portal to the Old Great ones.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

Its always amazed me how, despite always being in a different city, the backstage area always looks exactly the loving same.

That is not true as Jericho got lost once.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lamuella posted:

did they do the Spinal Tap "Walking to the stage" schtick?

He did because Jericho is awesome. He was also allowed to basically book himself since he was never going to make any money.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lamuella posted:

loving how he accidentally opened the door and then had to pretend it was locked.

Watch when Wraith comes out at the end you can see a guy opening the other door.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

The worst part of that opinion is that wrestling, even during the days when Russo was a kid watching Bruno in the WWWF, always made tons of money having people wanting to watch foreigners as evil heels. Evil heels make money and people want to see the foreigners versus their homegrown natives. It's what made Japan's wrestling boom and what made many companies in many different eras.

Russo never really clued into that.

So you are saying that basically Russo is clueless about wrestling?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

Some things to talk about : The Best of Nitro 3 Disc DVD set coming out later this year, hosted by DDP. Also, the WCW Nitro Arena is available for download on the PS3 version of Smackdown vs Raw 2011. (It will be downloadable for 360 "soon") seen here

Have they announced what matches are going to be on the DVD?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

kdrudy posted:

So 10 years on, who from WCW at the end benefited the most from the purchase? I'm not counting guys who came over earlier or later, only guys that came over with the purchase.

My initial thought is Booker T, he had feuds with many of the biggest names in the WWE after that and 10 years on is now back with the WWE for a stint as an announcer.

Is there someone I'm not thinking of who has done better?

The one with the best job security is Chavo, Arn Anderson, and little Naitch

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Suben posted:

What about Rey Mysterio? He was fairly popular but more or less a midcarder in WCW, comes in to WWE and works his way up to main eventer, is a multi-time WHC champion (lovely reigns or not) and has been one the biggest stars in the company for like the last 5 years.

He did not come over with the purchase so he is invalid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I was reminded that Ray makes a great lawn dart

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The American Dream posted:

My mom was in the room when Nash threw him back in 96 or 97 and a few years ago when he was on wwe, she asked me if that was the same guy that got thrown like a dart. If she could remember, how could you forget one of the best lines of the 90's.

HE THREW HIM LIKE HE WAS A DART

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

I know I can look a lot of this stuff up online without asking you guys, so I've been going that route. One thing that I don't know if I'm understanding correctly: The WCW reboot. What exactly happened? Did they just come on TV one night and say "we're dropping everything, and writing new stuff"??

Has there ever been such an absolute breaking of the fourth wall in pro wrestling like that?

There was a one week break where they showed a best of show then came a Russerific time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

The highlight of it was this wasn't a best of "WCW" show. It was all about Bischoff and Russo's writing. They even talked about crash tv booking and how it worked, and Bisch's tendancy to book on the fly. Why on earth they did these shows the way they did is a mystery.

I remember everyone reaction was it could not be worse the Sullivan. Then came the episode and then PPV and everyone realized yes yes it could.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Did Russo plan/write the Sting/Robocop and Steiner/Chucky bits?

No Russo did not think that was the American Dream for Sting/Robocop and Bishoff Steiner/Chucky.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Have fun watching Starrcade 94 also here is a quick review of most of them :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

They should bring back the War Games, but I am sure WWE would gently caress it up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

They would stack the three rings on top of each other and wonder why every wrestler got crippled when getting eliminated.

So they would bring back Sid to do the crippling and get crippled?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

There is a difference between mocking stupidity and complaining. Looking back it didn't make anyone tune in each week and thus was yet another stupid thing WCW did. They put a match on TV and ensured they could NEVER do it again due to Hogan's ego and they did it with four days build.

Wasn't it originally a non-title match, and only announced as title earlier that day?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

oldpainless posted:

He hates Miz because he's "so stupid" and has a "stupid face."
He really hates Wade Barrett stemming back from Nexus forcing Cena to do stuff and getting Cena fired. This kid was really worried about John Cena not wrestling again.
He also hates Del Rio because Del Rio hurt Mysterio and Mysterio is so much smaller than everyone else so hes always getting hurt but he still wins a lot.

Kids are the best wrestling fans

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I think the solution is getting Stevie Ray

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

The thing that made me know it was fake was the Saturn bit. He didn't stay in touch with his closest friends, but this guy/family, he did? Come now.

He did not even go to his mentors funeral. Also he was friends with Chavo and Chavo had Pepe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Minges posted:

Blame the Juvi Juice.

He fell a lot, but SO many people ate it on that giant C.

Ya but did they get high on pcp and run around naked in a hotel and punch a cop?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I posted:

You know, sometimes I dream of working for WCW at it's peak... as Lanny Poffo, getting paid over $200,000/ year to stay at home and do nothing.

He truly was a genius.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I am still flabbergasted that no company has simply taken the mechanics of No Mercy/Revenge and just slapped modern graphics and updated movesets on it. It has the best finisher system to date, the simplest and most intuitive grappling system, and the KO feature. Its the best, and i still play it once or twice a year.

Its owned by that company and they use it for rap fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Karmine posted:

The only thing I didn't like about the N64 games was that if your guy's finisher was a submission move instead of being able to just apply it you would have to grapple and do a powerbomb and then the finisher.

It's really nitpicky but dammit if I'm Chris Jericho I just wanna put people in the Liontamer while they're on the ground.

I am almost positive you could. That might have been an improvement between games