Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRayPer posted:

Proof that Flair, even in his old age could wrestle a broomstick to a *** match.

HIS OPPONENT, HAILING FROM NEW YORK CITY, VINCE RUSSO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb34HzbvElA

Please tell me there's a YouTube video of the time the blood ended up completely missing Nash and Russo and instead landed on the people in the front row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I put on Raw for the first time in years the other night because my wife was interested after watching The Wrestler. Question: When did Triple H and Shawn Michaels become so insufferable? It seems all they do is pat each other on the back and wink while shilling DX merchandise. And there's green poo poo everywhere.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Completely terrible. WCW Champion Dave Penzer?

Luckily enough, Russo couldn't think THAT fast, even with the attention span of a gnat.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It was so satisfying to see Tank Abbott beat the poo poo out of a half-naked Mark Madden. Some of those shots looked pretty stiff, too. That was probably the only worthwhile thing Abbott ever did in all the time he was there. Unless you count his being a groupie for Three Count.

I remember that Madden used to continually reference CRZ (not by name) during his stint on commentary, because the two didn't like each other. Ironically, he would go on about how "some unimportant internet recapper" was a nobody not worth wasting his time. Every Monday night.

EDIT: I find it funny that TNA has now hired the four people that put WCW out of business: Hogan, Nash, Bischoff and Russo.

EDIT 2.0: Wasn't the Ultimate Solution's name originally "Final Solution"?

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 24, 2010

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Thanks. And as much as the guy ended up being worthless in terms of drawing, he was obviously having a great time at that point. He even did an interview a few years back where he described his stint with Three Count as the most fun he ever had with the company.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
From what I've heard; back in '91 during a tour in the UK, a bunch of wrestlers were hanging out at the bar of the hotel they were all staying at. WCW was still taping weeks of television at a time, so a few episodes of Worldwide (I think) had already been shot with Sid as champion, even though he hadn't actually won the belt yet at a live televised event. Being that he was chosen to get the belt, it went right to his head and he was being a real rear end in a top hat about it that night. Arn Anderson tried to put him in his place and it almost turned into a brawl, but they were separated by everyone else. Later on, Sid showed up at Arn's hotel room, ready to finish the fight. During the scuffle, Sid grabbed a pair of scissors and stabbed Arn a few times, somehow stabbing himself as well. WCW immediately fired Sid (which is why he showed up in WWF shortly after, and why WCW didn't hire him back until '99) and found themselves in deep poo poo because, as I said, they already had weeks of TV in the can with him as champion. I believe it was shortly after this that they were able to get Flair to come back, essentially saving the company. Yet again.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Not quite. After the bar fight, Arn showed up at Sid's hotel room with a pair of scissors and stabbed Sid three times. Sid got them from him and stabbed him like 36 times. Needless to say, Sid won the fight.

Really? And all this time I thought it was Sid that started it back up AND used the scissors.

I also remember hearing a story about Sid attacking Brian Pillman with a squeegee and Pillman beating the poo poo out of him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

spongeh posted:

Not sure if this ever got posted, but Dr Death vs Jerry Only in a cage match from Nitro in 1999:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jifupX5YUc

An awful gimmick, a celebrity wrestling (although he hit the cross body from the top rope!) and a 3 minute cage match, and they even don't bother calling the escape from the cage. Not to mention they didn't even ring the bell for a good 10 seconds after he got out.

Wasn't that during the time Vampiro kept bouncing back and forth between coming out with the Misfits, ICP and by himself?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Meng had cool pants.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Eventually the two of them will be in adjacent hospital beds, throwing the contents of their bed pans at each other.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Can't you all just watch the match through the YouTube link that was posted instead of insisting on what you remember?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Can anyone tell me why that bout between Booker T and Jeff Jarrett for the World title in which they fought over four boxes, each on a pole, was called a "San Fransisco 49ers Match"?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I seem to remember that framed photo of Scott Hall getting the biggest pop of the night.

I also remember the idiot referee counting every time Booker and Jarrett left the ring, even though it doesn't make sense, with the boxes still on the poles. I was begging for a double count-out, just to see what they would have done about it.

And it's too bad Russo wasn't quick enough to realize that Dave Penzer should have become champion that night, considering he was the first one to pick up the belt after it fell out of the box.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pneub posted:

Acourding to Death of WCW, DDP just bumped into him in a doorway carrying a carpet, and he flipped out and started fighting him.

You're thinking of the ring worker that bumped into Buff Bagwell while carrying a roll of carpet and got smacked around for his troubles. Buff was fined and suspended, and the guy sued, but I don't remember how it turned out.

The fight backstage had to do with Steiner cutting an unscripted promo where he tore into DDP for a while, including the line "Why don't you convince Diamond Dallas Page to get a sex change, so he has the balls to come out here and face me?" As soon as Steiner walked back through they curtain, he and DDP went at it, with many people saying Scott went straight for Page's eye. After they were pulled apart, DDP and Nash walked out and Steiner went back out to the ring for another unscripted bit about how Kimberly is a slut.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Wazzu posted:

Hey, do you know how long it's being since he last had an accident?

This sounds like the set-up to a joke.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

oldpainless posted:

"No sir, you can't wear your chainmail hat for the picture."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm surprised TBS named it that, I thought WWE spent millions trying to make sure nobody else uses the term "smackdown".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Save Russian Jews posted:

smack down =/= smackdown

True, but doesn't the WWE use it both ways? Especially when it comes to the logo?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I believe it was a PPV in '96 or '97, but for one of the many matches that Piper and Hogan had, it was stated again and again in the build-up to the show that Piper come up with the stipulations for the match himself, and that it was clearly billed as a World title match. However, when Piper won with the sleeper and everyone filled the ring to celebrate, it was suddenly announced that he had only won the match, which was a non-title bout. Not only is that a blatant bait-and-switch, but also makes Piper look like one of the dumbest men alive.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
If I'm not mistaken, Duggan never actually won the TV title. He found it in the trash because Scott Hall had thrown it out a few months beforehand. He was also the last TV champion, as the belt was retired after the Bischoff/Russo reboot in April of 2000.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Carlton Banks posted:

I will never be able to forgive Jim Duggan for turning Canadian :(

And yet as shocking as something like that was supposed to be, the way Russo wrote it made it utterly predictable and incredibly lame.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was about to post something along the lines of "What kind of world do we live in where Bobby Heenan's face is falling apart and Mark Madden hasn't had one heart attack?"

Then I read his Wikipedia page. I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Some of my favorite moments came from Thunder, where even though it was a taped show and they usually had at least a day or two to edit, they still managed to gently caress everything up.

There was an episode where Sting was to take on Villano IV and Villano V in a handicap match sometime in the second hour. However, during the first hour, they showed the recap of the ending of that match, where one of the Villanos kabonged Sting with a guitar and removed his mask to reveal Jeff Jarrett. So not only did they give away the result of the match an hour before it actually aired, but also ruined the SHOCKING SWERVE.

Then there's the episode that had Mike Awesome involved in one of those wonderful "brawl all over the building" hardcore matches that Russo loved so much. DDP comes out of nowhere (he wasn't in the match, but that never mattered in 1999-2001) and beats the poo poo out of Awesome before tossing him in an ambulance, which then drives off. Cut to Vince Russo with a bunch of his idiot friends (Jarrett, Douglas, Stasiak, etc) including...Mike Awesome! Looking just fine, too, considering he's on his way to the hospital in an ambulance.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, but because Hog Wild was always a free show in Sturgis in front of thousands of drunk bikers that didn't give a poo poo about wrestling, they nearly booed them out of South Dakota.

EDIT: Beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

When exactly was Judy Bagwell a tag champ?

Do you even have to ask?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 31, 2011

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I may have mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but speaking of production, I love the Thunder episode where they aired a replay of the SHOCKING SWERVE finish of a Sting/Villanos match at the beginning of the show when the match took place at the end.

I don't think they ever actually had a guy whose job it was to pay attention to poo poo like that. And yet they gave millions to Master P, Dennis Rodman, KISS and Chad Brock.

EDIT: There was also a Nitro where Mike Awesome was taken away in an ambulance after a post-match beating...and then showed up in the next scene carrying a coffin around backstage, looking fine.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 16, 2011

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm surprised Mean Gene didn't charge $1.95 a minute to enter the "Who will trip on the giant C tonight?" pool every Monday.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Wise Teen posted:

You had to rename the characters though to maximize the joy of WCW/NWO Revenge. I'll never forget "Goldturd," "Eric Bitchoff" and Konnan as "Panty Hose Face."

There were something like eighty wrestlers in that game, and four outfits/names for each one. So three hundred and twenty possible names and my friends and I changed every single one of them.

Bulk Hoagie, Nacho Man Randy Bush, Joe Nazareth, Scott Alcohallic, etc.

Shut up, we were fifteen.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gavok posted:

Then we reached the fictional characters based on Japanese wrestlers and decided to start making things up.

"AKI Man? Got arrested for beastiality."

"I remember that!"

AKI Man = Pepsi Man

And then the alternate outfits were Coca Cola Boy, Dr. Pepper and SURGE!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Captain Charisma posted:

Goldberg "sandbagged" a Jackknife Powerbomb, which the commentators chastised him for. He leaves the ring and screams gently caress YOU at Russo, who is on the stage.

Nash beats Stener with the Jackknife and the commentators laud Steiner for being a team player and going up for the powerbomb. :downsbravo:

Wasn't it a month or two later that Steiner beat the poo poo out of DDP backstage, then called Kimberly a whore for five minutes on live television?

Steiner was constantly rewarded during the last six months of WCW for being a loving psychopath and scaring the poo poo out of everyone.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 31, 2011

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Oatgan posted:

Everything I remember about Tank Abbot's wrestling career is hilarious and awful. There isn't a single notable event that springs to mind that wasn't the perfect way to describe anything from that era of WCW

Apparently Abbott had the time of his life when he was playing a groupie for Three Count. Can't really knock the guy for going along with something so stupid and having fun with it.

And, in true WCW fashion, they kept releasing talented wrestlers while offering to pay for Tank to take singing lessons.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CVagts posted:

I think the actual line was, "Suicide dive! And it's a shame he didn't succeed in taking his own life!" Which still doesn't top the Benoit quote, but it's close.

I don't know where I heard this (it might have been in this very thread and I just have a poor memory) but I remember that when Scott Steiner first joined the NWO, his nickname was "White Thunder" because he had dyed his hair blonde and wore a white singlet, but they changed the nickname quickly because it was considered racist. Is this true, and what's the story behind it?

There was also an episode of Nitro where Scott Steiner interrupted a match to beat the poo poo out of Booker T and Stevie Ray with a baseball bat. A white baseball bat. Try to think of the last time you saw an all-white baseball bat. And after leaving the two of them unconscious, he turned to Sharmell and screamed "You wanna be with a REAL man? HUH?!"

The racism in WCW was bad enough before Vince "I'm an American and that's what I want to see" Russo showed up.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MrBling posted:

I loved Sids run as the millenium man late in his WCW career. He had Lil Naitch as personal ref/cheerleader/scorekeeper and would come out after matches and randomly chokeslam people, pin them and then add to his "undefeated" streak.

Did you misspell "millennium" on purpose the same way WCW did the entire time Sid had that gimmick?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Bret Hart naming him number one contender still rules even today.

That was one of the few good things about the dying days of WCW. Nobody gave a poo poo what anyone was doing or saying on camera, so you'd have classic lines like that come out of nowhere.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Sue Denim posted:

It wasn't a rape story line at all!

Liz said that Goldburg was stalking her, but once the police started putting the screws to her all of the anecdotes of Liz being stalked by Goldburg were situations where Goldburg had a legitimate reason for being in those places, like Nitro and I think Liz said he stalked her at the gym but it was Goldburg's gym that he owned she was referring to.

It was originally supposed to be a rape storyline, but Goldberg understandably flipped out and said no. Even then, the implication is there that he was at least a creepy gently caress (even if it turns out she was lying the whole time) and didn't Hogan refer to him as a "sexual deviant"?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Russo's really easy to listen to, because whenever he says "I've gotta be honest" and does that little dramatic effect pause, you just know some bullshit is coming your way. That's where all the quotes live.

It's just like "I don't want to sound racist..."

In fact, Russo used that one in one of his most famous interviews.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Prison Jesus vs. Regular Jesus?

Where I come from, that's called "printing money"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jack Krauser posted:

Haha, the Nitro Grill. So successful it closed a little more than a year later.

Still no match for...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I remember seeing that a few years ago on some blog. Did anyone ever figure out how the hell that canopy (awning?) made it from the Mall of America to where ever that building is fifteen years later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Frot Lesnar posted:

More than likely it was bought at auction when they gutted the place. I have found some amazing deals after restaurants have failed.

You wouldn't happen to have a can of Hulkaroos, would you?