Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raeg posted:

Please everyone, enjoy the death of Lex Lugar. I noticed an other nice little piece of WCW before the Lex Lugar segment, so I left that in too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ15JYQ5gA

Speaking of that first little piece, are there any other vignettes from that set around? I've seen the "debut" but never any of the promos that caused such controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raeg posted:

If there's any other clips people are looking for, I've got what appears to be all the Nitros from '95-'99 and 2001.

Holy poo poo, loving GOLDMINE.

I'm lookimg for any of the Seven promos that led to the controversy/destructino of the gimmick. There's a piece of one right at the beginning of the Luger video.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

I SAID DID YOU FOR FORGET YOUR SCISSORS, NEODOOMIUM?!

Still gets me too.

Does anyone have (non-Dailymotion because Dailymotion sucks rear end) video of this moment?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The A-Team Van posted:

"...oh, my new name is Seven BTW"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7RLzLXDsAI

I still want to see some of the vignettes before this. Apparently they scrapped the gimmick because some advocacy group thought that the vignettes made it appear as though Seven/Se7en/whatever was a child predator. I'm really curious as to how it came across that way.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Volcano Style posted:

The sad thing is I actually remember Dustin Rhodes being really over as a rebellious face and then he turned heel and joined the 'Powers That Be' within the month.

Sounds about right. I mean poo poo, he was over even in that promo.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Matlock posted:

That "Wooo" at the beginning made me crack up.

Then I turned it off.

Holy poo poo I somehow missed that the first time and that's the best thing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

Awesome, some dude on youtube posted a every segment of Warrior's WCW run.

Oh god this owns

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

(gently caress Mario Lopez)

Is he a bitch rear end?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

All Eddie.

Yeah, apparently DDP's "HOLY gently caress YES" celebration afterwards was him legitimately marking out.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Critical posted:

Wasn't the story something to the effect of: DDP wants to do the spot but doesn't know how, and Eddie basically says "Just get me up in position and I'll take care of it"?

Yep. That's exactly it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dylar Addict posted:

EDIT: It better be Joe Pa Rules Stadium next

Joe Paternowns

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Also Van Hammer is there but wearing a fishnet undershirt and mascara, just standing on the ring looking menacing while the commentators alternate between,"WHAT IS FIT FINLAY DOING!?!" and,"WHO IS THAT IS IT... IS IT YES IT LOOKS LIKE.... HE BEARS A SUSPICIOUS RESEMBLANCE TO VAN HAMMER!"

I must see this.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

Even if he never becomes sober completely, maybe he'll still give some good back. I don't think he's broke. He's still very intelligent in terms of wrestling psychology. There should be some ways he could give back.

Hell, he's already training his son. Let's just say for the sake of discussion Cody Hall sticks with it and stays in the business, and eventually becomes a star. You know somebody like that would be interested in shoring up rehab programs and stuff.

Of course he may also become an addict too and follow in his dad's footsteps, but let's not talk about that. Point is, you never know. The fact that he has a son and is training him (neither thing I knew) actually made me smile a little.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

*Edit* Now that I think of it though, Benoit was probably strong looking enough to pull off the push Goldberg got. Goldberg was around for months before he even talked.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Not by a ton mind you, but a bit of one. I feel like Goldberg was kind of a one in a million thing (or two, if you count Lesnar who was probably the closest thing) in terms of not only them giving the guy that monster push, but also the crowd buying it and actually FEEDING it. Goldberg was a perfect storm.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hirams Bitch posted:

Goldberg had massive amounts of physical charisma. He had a great look, he looked stronger and more athletic than everyone else.

This. I mean Benoit was built like a brick shithouse, but he didn't look like as much of an animal as Goldberg IMO. Goldberg's monstrous aura was a lot more overt, whereas Benoit's was more understated.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

El Duke posted:

saying Goldberg has no natural charisma is loving ridiculous. Same for his physique not playing into it. Goldberg looked and acted that part, and no, you can't just throw ANYONE into it.

Word. Like I said the closest guy to that they've had since is Lesnar (god how did that match suck so hard ).

I GUESS I could see Sheamus as a Goldberg lite if they had chosen to push him as such but that's the only dude I could think of currently on the roster that has the look, charisma, and an ability to actually move athletically (unlike, say, Mason Ryan).

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

El Duke posted:

He was more athletic than most guys with his physique, though. That's the point. He wasn't a Mason Ryan or an Ezekial Jackson. He wasn't great in ring, but he did the moves that he knew crisply, and made everything look like it had serious impact (to a fault, actually). I don't think you understand what someone who has physical charisma in the ring looks like, because it's that. Also, he looked stronger because he was huge and his finisher was a feat of strength move that he pulled off pretty drat well on a regular basis.

Out of curiosity El Duke (I agree with this post BTW) would you agree that Sheamus is in a similar mold in terms of being really athletic for a dude his size?

EDIT: Sheamus is literally almost the same size as Goldberg. Billed 2 inches taller, 1 pound bigger.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

El Duke posted:

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty accurate. I think if you gave Sheamus five or six moves, told him to do them consistently to the best of his ability, and had him run over guys, he'd do a similar job. I don't think his look is quite as good as Goldberg, but it's similar, and he's definitely imposing enough. He's pretty fluid in the ring and isn't a slug, so it's a good comparison. He has more upside, match quality-wise, I think, because he HASN'T been told to learn just five moves for the first year and a half or so of his career, and actually likes the business, so he'll continue to get better. But yeah, if you were looking for a similar guy, he's closer than most.

Yeah that's pretty much what I'd say too on all counts. Sheamus isn't as good of a monster, but is a better wrestler. Having said that, they're in a similar-ish mold in terms of physical build and physical charisma.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Goldberg had a mix of a few elements that worked, but I'm not convinced that those elements or even the combination thereof were exclusive to Bill Goldberg. It's probably a misstep on my part to say that he doesn't have natural physical charisma but I don't think it's unique by any means.

It's not unique but Benoit is a TERRIBLE comparison. Lesnar and Sheamus are the two dudes I can think of since then that theoretically could've gotten a "Goldberg push", especially Lesnar. Also Angle was booked as a beastly wrestler, not a monster. That's the difference.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Benoit isn't a terrible comparison because he was more of a monster IRL than anyone in wrestling before or since. Aha! Check and mate, FOOCHS.

I'm assuming this is a joke post (and one I actually almost made sort of).

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Some Jerk posted:

Goldberg's finest hour imo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJjD...feature=related

His selling of Nash's fury in that match is similarly spectacular. Look in Part 2. He just goes "Good GOD!" so genuinely after Nash spikes Randy with the Jackknife that you really think Nash has killed a man.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

One of Goldberg's greatest skills was

*Big move*

*Stare directly at hard cam*

YES.

That is a perfect goddamn example of the physical charisma we were talking about. It's simultaneously somehow subtle and also utterly overt. Like Goldberg is saying "Just try me motherfucker" to literally everyone watching, and dismissive of his opponent because he knows he just wrecked their poo poo.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KildarX posted:

That commentary has made me despise Dusty.

It's hysterical though. Only because I buy that Dusty was genuinely like

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Haha I forgot all about the martian invasion storyline.

Can we get some cliffnotes on this because

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

So people were talking pages back about Hogan's "Dark Side" promos. There's one that used to be on YouTube that involved Hogan, Savage, a guy looking and sounding oddly like Jericho (it wasn't Jericho) rocking out and singing a song about Dark Side Hogan and a somehow inebriated, probably homeless little person between Hogan and Savage, alternately rambling and agreeing with whatever is being said.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NOTHIN BUT CHUNK posted:

here you go dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr-Hayn19Z8

darkside hogan was such a bizarre, aborted angle given that literally nothing changed except hogan's attire and sullivan's face paint. and the surreality of the promos increased i guess.

Love ya buddy. Only shame is that the start of part 2 is right after the AWESOME song. It's annoying to go back and forth, maybe there's an uncut video of the Nitro somewhere.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfitScS91ww#t=416s

Amazing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I'm not sure what MDA means here. Muscular Dystrophy Association?

Also, great quotes, MRP.

Was wondering this.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

I think he was filming 3 Ninjas at the time.

That's exactly right. That was the hair his character had in the seminal classic "3 Ninjas: High Noon At Mega Mountain".

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DAMMIT I WAS SO SURE. I have been owned

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I will never not laugh at "THE INTERNET'S GOT THE SCOOPS!"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

The Basketball Highlights one was his theme when he first came into WCW as a face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWM2gazwf6A

Then yeah, it was the Pearl Jam ripoff.

I'm pretty sure this might be one of my favorite YouTube comments ever.

"Some awesome YouTuber posted:

I imagine myself slow motion dunking a basketball off an alley oop from my K9 partner in order to defeat the favored rich kid team at the last second while all the cancer kids at the hospital cheer because we just won a huge check for them that can be used to keep the cancer ward open as opposed to the rich kids team captain dads razing it to make a parking lot while this song is playing.

loving perfect.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Cena was never this hated.

Yes he is? Do you not hear the boos and the volume of the CENA SUCKS chants he gets constantly?

Also this is the best thing to come out of Darkside Hogan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfitScS91ww#t=416s

SULLIVAN TOOK YOUR MUSTACHE!

"I TOLDJA THAT'S RIGHT! I DID THAT! NOW YA KNOW, HUH?! NOW YA TALKIN'!"

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 15, 2013

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Scirocco Griffon posted:

Yes it is, both instances provided courtesy of Ole Anderson messing around with a voice modulator backstage if memory serves.

No it's not. That thing was promo stuff for Seven AKA Dustin Rhodes AKA Goldust, and it's him doing his growly voice, I'm pretty sure. Just listen to him cutting a promo as Black Reign for an example.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Was that the one where Dusty went insane(r) on commentary? "They fightin in the women's bathroom!"

I'm like, 99% sure, yes.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

I've read this like 10 times and I'm still not sure what you're asking.

He's asking if anyone has forced a guy to retire via match stip wherein the loser actually stayed retired, and yes the answer is Taker.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd be fairly surprised if we never saw Michaels wrestle again so I doubt that one will even hold.

Really? I'd be surprised if we did.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jeffersonlives posted:

Michaels has talked about thinking about returning for occasional matches and wanting his kids to see him work at least once when they're a little older. He's never, ever going to be a regular performer again, but I'd say it's better than 50/50 that he has one match at some point in the next 10 years.

Oh I didn't know that. That's kind of sweet. How old are his kids now?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

That's only missing from WWE. There are ten guys at least in TNA who could realistically challenge for the title. And should. And should win. And should kill Aces and 8s.

Also, the period you're talking about was when Russo was out with a concussion and Johnny Ace was booking. As soon as Russo returned, Storm gave his belts away and was buried in a sea of stupid booking.

What? No there aren't.

AJ for sure. Hardy. Maybe James Storm. Who the hell else could get a title match, announced tomorrow, and win without it being a huge shock or an incredibly stupid heel/heel dynamic?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

James Storm would need some serious rebuilding to ever challenge for the WWE title, or even the WHC after how TNA has booked him.

I did forget Angle. AJ, Angle, Hardy. Okay cool. Guess what? WWE has Jericho (I think he's at a place where he could instantly be put in a title program with a win or two), Orton, Punk. Oh look! Same number. Both companies have the same problem of not having a credible upper-midcard and both need to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skinty McEdger posted:

I can't find the promo that aired earlier in the night to hype him up anywhere, but yeah that was pretty much his gimick.

I'm morbidly curious to see this. Also yeah that botch is the best.