Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

The point was that the logo was allegedly shown in an ad that didn't mention when the show was on, and actively mocked the logo!

USA Today Ad Rep: "What would you like the ad to say?"
WCW rep: "I don't care. The thing looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car."
USA Today Ad Rep: "Okay thanks we just made the deadline!" *click*
WCW Rep: "Hello? Hello?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

Agreed.

Amazing we took a picture of the Blade Runners and took it into the movie Blade Runner.

The book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" was way better than that piece of poo poo movie. The original movie followed the book but test audiences hated it so they went with the copout ending of them falling in love.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I saw the Director's cut first. It made zero sense and the entire film was so dark (in lighting) it drove me nuts. A few years later I saw the original and liked it.

I've heard that the Director's cut is better, but everybody I've ever heard who says that has also seen the original and knows what the film is about, so saying the second is better is a bit of a stretch as they'd have no idea what it was like to see it first. But I just absolutely refuse to see a movie about Jim Hellwig and Steve Borden hunting down Terminators in post-apocalyptic Atlanta.

Actually, that sounds pretty awesome.
End of derail here but I hate movies that have to be changed because Americans are giant loving babbies who need to have everything turn out great in the end.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Anybody else find it hilarious that while this thread is flourishing, the TNA thread has died completely?

I thought this was the TNA thread? :psyduck:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

GOP posted:

I disagree. The mood organs. The Mercer messiah character. The androids being unfeeling androids. A lot of that book didn't pack the emotional impact of Ridley Scott's film.

Watch the scene where Ford slams the door shut to kiss Sean Young. Watch it with the sound off and say it's still romantic.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Kind of like when Chris Jericho would always find a guy holding a sign up talking about him when walking to ringside and would rip it apart. There were always tons of Jericho signs so its entirely possible it wasn't a plant.

Back in 1997, you didn't have to plant signs to gain heat.

My favorite instance of this was the Nitro when Tony was talking about how awesome their fans signs were and said "Hey look at that one! Hogan is Cartman's father!" as he was oblivious to the connotations of the sign.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

PlasticSpoon posted:

Oh and Zbyszko was classy as gently caress.

Especially when Louie Spicolli died.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Didn't Vince have exclusive contracts with most of the arenas in Canada though like he does with MSG?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

That reminds me. Ready To Rumble. WCW made a movie for wrestling fans in which the main characters (wrestling fans) are retarded sewage workers.

Who stick their fingers up their rear end and smell it.

THIS WAS A MAJOR PLOT POINT!

Rousimar Pauladeen fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 16, 2010

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Skinty McEdger posted:

Russo gets bonus points for irony in saying of the angle 'If I came in with an angle that was Golddust all over again, and a cheap imitation of that, then everyone would think I was creatively spent.'

That was in the same interview where he said that all of his ideas started with one thing: logic.
That was the greatest interview. Wasn't that the one where he said nobody wanted to see luchadores like Rey Mysterio?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

SiKboy posted:

I remember thinking that at the time, especially considiring that when Rey turned up the WWE within a year there were arenas full of kids wearing offical WWE Rey Mysterio replica masks. Hard to merchandise my arse.

Its an interesting read rather than a good read really. Its funny seeing all the places where he contradicts himself or blatantly lies. Everything good that happens was his responsibility. Anything bad that happens was someone else fault (but not vinces, because the book was written when he was in the WWE). I really do get the impression that he completely buys into his own bullshit though, and even when he contradicts himself he actually believed each thing when he said (wrote) it.

You should watch him on the 24/7 roundtable he was on. Completely full of poo poo about not wanting to put WWE out of business.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

CVagts posted:

Wasn't that the one where he was surrounded by four through-and-through WWE guys? If so, it's understandable that he didn't jump out and go "hell yeah we wanted to BANKRUPT all you mofos."

I can understand that but I still hate that oval office.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Skinty McEdger posted:

To his credit Bischoff managed to endure Michael Hayes on that roundtable. I'm a huge freebirds mark but still found his rants unbearable. It was about the third time that he said "Bischoff wanted to kill WWF and make us all unemployed, Vince wasn't like that" that I found myself rooting for Eric.

Michael Hayes was the worst thing about any roundtable he was on. He would always interrupt especially if it was during an interesting story.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Really? And all this time I thought it was Sid that started it back up AND used the scissors.

I also remember hearing a story about Sid attacking Brian Pillman with a squeegee and Pillman beating the poo poo out of him.

Sid showed up to Arn's room with the leg of a chair. Arn opened the door and attacked with scissors. Sid got them and almost killed him.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Does anyone have the clips they would show during the Monday Night Wars on Nitro of Austin, Foley and HHH losing to midcarders on Saturday Night? These were usually bumper spots coming into a commercial.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Skinty McEdger posted:

The streak was apparently Mike Tenays idea. His one big contribuition to wrestling history.

Voodoo chili. :colbert:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Sotar posted:

Funny. I thought you would be livid.

WILL YOU STOP?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

What about the great commentary from Konnan during that 4 way tag match?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I was listening to music on shuffle in iTunes and it went to DDP and Zorak singing a song called Evil is only skin deep. This may be the greatest thing WCW never promoted.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

It was in Tacoma, I think. I was there, I know that much. Cheering my rear end off for guys like Kanyon and Kidman while everybody in my area stared at me, confused and annoyed. It was kind of a sneak preview of what Wrestlehut would be like.

It was in Tacoma because I tried to score free tickets and was denied. The crowd shat on everything WCW. The main event was terrible because come on Buff Bagwell but the tag match was awesome and they booed the hell out of it.`

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Picture the tassles, neon and face makeup.

I'm not shocked people thought this rumour was true.

Cena stole his gimmick and made it famous.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Robocop's time period isn't directly stated, but he is clearly from the future as in his time Detroit is a rotting corpse of a city filled with crimes, drugs, and lacking any sort of an economy.

And while all of that is accurate they have also invented Robot Cops!

How is that different than the Detroit of the past 50 years?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Wazzu posted:

I hope somebody does the same to TNA soon after it dies. My favourite part was some actress having to yell "david, wait, you're not a wrestler" as arquette goes after somebody.

That is his wife, Courtney Cox.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

CVagts posted:

The main event of the next-to-last Nitro was Ric Flair and Jeff Jarrett kissing a donkey's rear end. I just thought we needed to be reminded of that.

And the first 6 years of nitro had people kissing Hogan's rear end.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Mind explaining for the rest of us?

Chris Jericho's action figures were set so that when they were bought, the receipt would say either "Sting" or "Hogan". They subsequently got the revenue money for the sales.

http://wfigs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=classicwrestling&action=display&thread=102800

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Salt In The Wound posted:

Didn't they have some Hell's Angels do security at one of the Road Wild shows?

I might've imagined that.

I think you are mixing up Road Wild with Altamont.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

The Landstander posted:

I like how this thread is 36 pages long and there's still lists of dumb poo poo WCW did to be discussed, but...
I never heard this before, Arquette seems like a good guy. :unsmith:

If he still has any of that money and bought John Cena acting lessons he would be the greatest American who has ever lived.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

He says that even today he'd do it again, because look at us, we're still talking about the holocaust 75 years later. Of course we also talk about other horrible things today, it doesn't mean they were good ideas.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

I figure this is as good a place as any. I've always wondered, where did Russo come from? Was he a TV writer? Did he start in the business? Did he just spontaneously congeal in a booking meeting?

IIRC he was a NY area radio show host on a wrestling based call in show who talked poo poo about WWE until they hired him.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm really having a hard time visualizing how 340,000 or even 190,000 people "attended" this event. In the only industrialized nation on earth with almost no light pollution.

There were 340,000 that night in the garden for Nash brother.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

whatsabattle posted:

So, TNA then?

TNA is more like the nation that announced they were supporting the US by sending 500 monkeys to Iraq.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I always thought they should have had Nicole Bass be Van Hammer's manager and then have them switch out when the ref was distracted.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

WWE would have a War Games, and the faces would win the coin toss.

TNA would have a War Games and the coin toss would actually be a reverse coin toss where you called it on the ground after it landed but you had to call what you thought it wasn't.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Obviously the answer is royal rumble with 81 rings and about 500 wrestlers to have royal rumble sudoku.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Kids are the best wrestling fans

They are fun to mock when at a live event. I think being a giant rear end who talks trash to them about Cena knowing that Cena will win the hole time makes their experience that much sweeter

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Astro7x posted:

When did Hogan start using Voodoo Child for his entrance music? I'm watching the Best of Nitro DVD, and I'm having trouble remembering if they just dubbed over it or if he only used it on PPVs and such.

Somewhere late 96 early 97.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

To be fair, I've never heard someone say, "My uncle works at Nintendo. Got any questions for him to ask?"

You were comatose in the 80s?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Hirams Bitch posted:

You have your Tenays and Tonys mixed up. Tenay was brought in to talk about the luchadores, Tony is the long time play by play guy who laughs at luchadores getting hurt talks about the nWo while luchadores are putting on a clinic, pausing occasionally to call a tope con hilo a sidewalk slam.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Did he ever do anything other than those WCW road reports? I can't remember.

He was also the voice of Tony the Tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Minges posted:

Somebody please speak up, if you know the answer. What the gently caress was the deal with Jerry Flynn? I watched every WCW show (shut up), and I don't know why he was there. His chest hair? His redneck Steve Blackman vibe? His poo poo mullet? "Lightning Foot?" His inexplicable temporary association with Jimmy Hart's lovely WCWSN version of the First Family? His later Russo-created specialty of fighting in the basement in lovely hardcore matches? What the gently caress was the deal and why was he always there? For gently caress's sake, he was on Starrcade '98. That's like a middle-aged, immobile, ugly Darren Young being on Wrestlemania.

I'm sorry, I just forgot about that inexplicable son of a gently caress and all those high school memories of yelling about him with my friends just rushed back.

He has a legit black belt in taekwondo and fought in professional martial arts tournaments so he probably got a "legit badass" push from the bookers that never came across on TV.