Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ColeM posted:

It was a one week switch. The match was Hogan dominating the entire thing, an NWO/WCW run in and Luger scoring the submission amongst the confusion(hardly a decisive win).

I thought it was a roll-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
For fucks sake, don't make Hulkamatt ban talking about Blade Runner.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Matlock posted:

obvious staged sign, but that's hilarious and awesome

Knowing WCW, I'm surprised they didn't stage the guy in the wrong spot, so Sting ended up pointing at a Disco Inferno sign or something.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

PlasticSpoon posted:

The quote isn't in the video. But why do people make a big deal of the Bischoff quote

Heenan: Which side did he fall off of?

Bischoff: Well theres a river and a parking lot what difference does it make"

I mean, from that far up and in kayfabe, either side is lethal.

They're internet *insert interest* fans; they find something insignificant to latch onto, then make a big loving deal about it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

FishBulb posted:

Dave Meltzer everyone!

Oh come on, you can't blame him. Austin was bland as gently caress back then.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

FishBulb posted:

:qq: don't be mean to poor Dave Meltzer!

So you... thought Stunning Steve was charismatic?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I heard that Stephanie McMahon accidentally killed Ultimate Warrior in a car wreck in 1990 so they had to replace him with a look alike ever since to cover it up. She almost got away with it scott-free, but don't worry, Randy Savage caught wind of the plot eventually and took care of business.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

Every loving body knows the story to Stone Cold's gimmick.

Everyone knows the story behind the name.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

Except PPV viewers never got to see DDP vs. Goldberg

I tell you what, that created at least one room full of pissed-off 14-year-olds.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

The two most awesome parts of this were Goldberg almost ruining it by saying, "Goldberg's streak had to start somewhere" and the fact that Hugh legitimately had no idea any of it was going to happen.

Goldberg jackhammering Hugh out of nowhere in his first match was pretty loving mind-blowing at the time. I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

Metal - Man Mountain Rock
Country - Double J Jeff Jarrett
Hip Hop - Mabel and Mo, M.O.M.
Grunge - Rad Radford
Gregorian Chants - Friar Ferguson

Am I missing anyone?

Dance/Techno - Alex Wright

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
And he kicked out of a jackhammer. That was pretty much the headstone on his WCW career.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

dusty udder smoker posted:

no he didn't.

Damnit, you're right, I haven't watched it in a long time.

People talk about how Regal was 'stretching' him because he hadn't paid his dues or whatever, but Goldberg did pretty drat good in that match. Before the internet ruined wrestling, 95% of the fans probably just though it was a solid competitive match.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

FishBulb posted:

The internet was actively ruining wrestling at the time. It was just on Usenet and poo poo.

And it was pretty much the same way then as it is now, everybody hated Goldberg and loved what Regal did and played it up even though it wasn't nearly as big a deal as people made it out to be.

14-year-old me though it made Goldberg look better.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
I wonder; if someone just said "gently caress it" and shoot-threw the intended winner over the top, would the bookers be so out of touch that they would keep him on and fire the rest?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

TL posted:

Because

Hall NEEDS to pull a poster of this screenshot out of a box during a match some time before he dies (while making the face in the portrait).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

CM Junk posted:

Wrestlehut would explode.

I would blow my brains out, my life's goal fulfilled.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

RandyOrtonIsMyGod posted:

Just out of curiosity, would Jericho have had grounds to sue and if so does anyone know whether he did or not?

I'm pretty sure he just didn't give a gently caress what they did at that point, since the ship was sinking and he was already on the way out.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
The big nail in the coffin was that he was one of the big supporters of WWE wrestlers getting employee benefits / health care. And how could Vince possibly keep that kind of un-loyal son of a bitch on the payroll?!

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Volcano Style posted:

This was also a couple of weeks either before or after he'd gone out and cut an unscripted promo about DDP having a vagina or something and the two got in a fight backstage. Again, Steiner went unpunished.

Acourding to Death of WCW, DDP just bumped into him in a doorway carrying a carpet, and he flipped out and started fighting him.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

whatsabattle posted:

http://static.tbs.com/sports/thunder/index.htm

Guys I don't think any new information is ever going to be available. :ohdear:

Hang on a sec...

:crossarms:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Oh come on guys, every player sucked back then.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Endorph posted:

Antonio Inoki vs Ric Flair? This is either terrible or the greatest match of all time.

It was alright.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

projecthalaxy posted:

Someone (TNA) needs to one up WW3 and make a 9 ring battle royal. Have the rings form a larger square, keypad style. 31(More than THOSE GUYS UP NORTH) wrestlers start in each corner ring, and have to be thrown into another ring, at 2,4,6,8 on the keypad, then and only then can they be thrown into the central ring. Last man outside the middle ring then faces the first person eliminated in a lumberjack match, with the other 122 participants surrounding the middle ring.

This will cost 3 million dollars and get a rating of 1.2.

BOOK IT DIXIE!

And have the run-in finish come in from the wrong side, so a crowd of heels have to brutally fight their way past a knocked out Shannon Moore and a tipped-over ladder.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

elf help book posted:

Is this every WWE documentary?

The latest HBK set was pretty good with him and others admitting how much of a dick he got to be before he cleaned up his act.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Sue Denim posted:

My Journey? I thought it was just a match compilation, no documentary?

If it's not I'd be interested in buying it because it's amazing how little I know about Michaels career and could use a recap documentary to familiarise myself.

Crap, I didn't know they came out with another one. The 2008 one has a life story (up until WM23):
http://www.wrestling101.com/home/2008/06/shawn-michaels-heartbreak-and-triumph-dvd-review/

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm curious, are you saying this as someone who recognizes the sizes of the companies (WCW in 1997 being the biggest wrestling company in the world, ECW being a cult territory) and just finds it curious to see a guy once in a main event role as a midcarder, or are you putting WCW and ECW on the same level?

It's really no different than Justin Angel being FCW Champion and Justin Gabriel being Smackdown midcarder.

I think you're over-thinking it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

I think they needed a non-nWo heel, so they just went with Raven.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Neodoomium posted:

WCW/NWO Revenge was a fantastic game.

I used to beat Hogan by KO over and over simply because the animation of him crumpling was so funny.

I was too lazy to learn how the grappling worked, so I would just play as Eric Bichoff and dominate with karate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

1st AD posted:

As bad as the Nitro/Thunder games were, they were at least charming in an arcadey kind of way.

Yeah, you could just spam Jack-knife Powerbombs forever and check out the crazy poo poo they came up with. It's several days of guaranteed fun.

Also, here's an SNES-grade AKI music flashback:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-soTSGHS6M&feature=related