Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This was the best use of Savage's voice ever and I refuse to hear otherwise. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

I raise you Space Ghost: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaHgpfi-Fw

I have been bested, and am undone. :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lamuella posted:

the thing I think that frustrates me most about WCW was this:

It could have been so good.

They had some of the best and most talented workers in the world. For a time at least they were the only place on US television that had such a variety of wrestling styles and abilities. For a time they were the last bastion of "wrestling" versus "sports entertainment". Even at their worst, the wrestling on their midcard was great.

The problem was that almost every management decision made their product less palatable. They were under the control of either people who didn't understand the product or people who were mainly motivated by making themselves look good. Hogan's creative control, Nash having the book, Sullivan simply not knowing what to do with the product, Bischoff alternating between using the whole company to say 'gently caress you' to Vince McMahon and going back to the NwO well again and again, Russo utterly losing the loving plot because there was nobody to keep him in check. So much potential wasted, so many great matches that led to nothing.

On a purely objective level, they didn't put out the worst wrestling product possible. Any bush-league fed in a local town puts out a worse product, but that's because they're working with less resources both in terms of talent and finances. WCW had a nearly bottomless pit of cash, an amazing roster of talented people, and managed to turn this gold into straw. It's the wasted potential that frustrates the most.

It's scary (and sad) how well this meshes with TNA's current status.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

According to DDP.

His other accomplishments:
giving Raven his gimmick
giving Stone Cold his gimmick

Being the subject of an awesome loving video. The powerbomb into Diamond Cutter on Eddie at 1:25 completely rules too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halloween Havoc was mentioned earlier and I always loved this story about Muta, a cage, and some fire.

What was the match supposed to be? All I can make out is Muta and (I think) Flair. Hearing Muta being referred to as a kid is a trip too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

YETI??????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE5jxdXoLaY

AND THE YET-TAY!!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Graic posted:

I bought an Evan Bourne figure once that was listed as RHODES.

Thooting thah pweff

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's two relatively forgotten wrestlers but I'll be damned if I don't remember this match really well for some reason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

My favorite WCW pool of death story is still the one from 3:00 of Botchamania 71:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtK34cFKlfc

Where Van Hammer tries to go against the word of the gods and put Bull Payne in the pool.

DJExile posted:

It's two relatively forgotten wrestlers but I'll be damned if I don't remember this match really well for some reason.

:frogc00l:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

:argh:

I don't what's funnier, Van Hammer's childish stupidity or the fact that they had to have a group meet to forbid everyone from doing pool spots all night.

I can see telling people to leave folks out of it if you're going to do a big bump/spot into it at the end, but if the whole thing was just Mysterio kicking him in, that's kind of a letdown.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Super porky owns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What was the cause of the promo/shoot Steiner cut on Flair when he was in the NWO? The one where he's cutting deep as gently caress and even says he doesn't hold a candle to "the original Nature Boy, Buddy Rogers". Steiner seemed more legit pissed than his colorful self.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I finally got around to watching Rise and Fall of WCW. How accurate is most of the stuff about Crockett and the sale to Turner? I never knew much about it and it was interesting to see how that happened along with the growth of cable TV.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thauros posted:

that was a weird thing to do

You could say this about thousands of things WCW did, to be fair

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I found some old Nitro matches on youtube and saw pre Big-Poppa Pump steiner. Goddamn I forgot how well he moved for a huge guy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He also superkicked a kid

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It was a riot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yesssss joining this from the get-go this time :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Speaking of, WCW was pretty drat hot in 98, if not at or near their peak. Why was the stage for Slamboree 98 so low-rent? it was an unlit painted billboard with doors and looked like something from a high school play.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This was post-coronation, so he simply held up his royal pinky to signify his greatness.

ALL HAIL KING BOOKAAAAH

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I am so sad I missed that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That is a legit fantastic read

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The American Dream posted:

I always thought a book or full length documentary with interviews with the wrestlers about this would be really interesting. Between 30 for 30, 3 major streaming services, wwe network and cable movie channels how has no one done it yet?

North Korea has been a pretty hot topic for the last 20 years. Most sports fans were probably interested in wrestling for some period of time, even if it was just a few years as a kid or getting caught up in the monday night wars. Hell, Ric Flair is in the main event against a Japanese politician. That's the kind of story you couldn't make up if it was fiction because people would call it ridiculous.

A lot of the wrestlers from that time are dead and it sounds like there was zero video or photos of the event, which wouldn't help matters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The entire show is on video.

is it really? poo poo I legit never knew this.

and yeah the more I think about it i guess more are still around. I'm dumb then!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The American Dream posted:

I think we just naturally assume that most of the wrestlers from a show in 1996 are dead at this point.

I feel like this is a p safe assumption

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Heyman and Austin just shooting the poo poo sounds amazing, frankly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah i was gonna say, if you're gonna poo poo on him for what you thought he might have maybe possibly done, why ignore what we know he did

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If Austin's acknowledged his lovely past and is trying to improve himself, then more power to him. You can both acknowledge his bad past and appreciate his improvement, it doesn't have to be just one or the other.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

what do his nipples say

lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BossMoz/status/1102571552325873665

Bossmoz is a great follow for poo poo like this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao it's like the AJ Styles tna mecca photo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol that starrcade poster is incredible

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mods make this the wrestlehut background pls and thx

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

man I sometimes forgot just how loving magnificent young Lex's hair was

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that GAB poster with Brain and Mean Gene is amazing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What the hell is going on with that Goldberg golf picture.

some hysterically bad early photoshop

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

I'd totally watch a remake of The Lawnmower Man but with a giant bad cg Sting head as the villain instead of virtual Jobe

:yeah:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

omg

there is a loving incredible amount of dad energy emanating from this and i love it

E: LEX'S POPPED COLLAR

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

e: ahahaha he’s younger than Luger, what the fuuuuuuck

holy poo poo really :stare:

E: i'll be damned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Once, very early on during my wrestling days I was contacted by a guy on AIM who wanted to wrestle me in a hotel room cleared of furniture in only a pair of tighty whiteys. I politely declined but he was very insistent. I told the promoter about it and he asked around and the advise I got was "Don't go, unless you really need the cash and are good at grappling"

:stare: