Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

EDIT 2.0: Wasn't the Ultimate Solution's name originally "Final Solution"?

Yep. But don't forget, this is wrestling. Watching fans go nuts when Baron Von Rasche starts goose-stepping around the ring is just :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

And seriously injured about 90% of the people in it!

Didn't Finlay almost have to have his left leg (below the knee) amputated because of that match?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Kentucky Shark posted:

He was about the same age as your average grunge rocker dude though, so it wasn't that bad (for reference, he's the same age as Eddie Vedder). The gimmick was a few years behind to be sure, but that's kinda par for the course in wrestling. It actually tends to bother me more when they try to play off current trends and headlines.

WWE also tried the grunge gimmick. Anybody remember Louie Spicolli as "Rad Radford"?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

It had to be, and who couldn't respect Sid. Just look at all the brilliant ideas he had.

:words:

I was going to bold more, but I would have to bold 90% of it. It is AMAZING.

Escaped prisoners? On a chain gang? Bad as that is, the story I had always heard was that they were supposed to be slaves, which is why they had the names Kane and Kole, orginally.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

That's one impressive piledriver.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Not WCW, but here is the worst cage match ever (the goal is to be the first one out of the cage! Out of a cage that's barely big enough for for one man :psyduck:):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVaTRP0-ud0

And I unabashedly loved Larry Zbyszko. I miss the day of old school heels like him, Tully Blanchard, Gino Hernandez, etc. It just seems to me that too many heels today seem more concerned with getting the crowd behind them than against them. I can understand that sentiment from their point of view, I guess. If they succeed in making the crowd absolutely despise them, then that's seriously going to cut into their merchandise sales, and who would want to lose such a lucrative income stream?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The American Dream posted:

We're not saying we wanted more then the 6 minute matches he got and he deserved more then a tv title run. But it worked for him and worked for us.

The man had to pull out instructions on how to apply his finisher during matches. That's awesome no matter how you look at it.

LvK posted:

I want there to have been a stable of Scott Steiner, Scott Hall, and Scott Norton, who only ever referred to each other as "Scott" and knew immediately every time who was being addressed.

Fantasy booking is stupid, but sometimes gold can be found. This is one of them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astro7x posted:

I never understood the point of this as a kid. Bret beats Goldberg to retain the title at Starrcade. The next night on Nitro the title is vacated because of the controversial ending, only for Bret to beat Goldberg again to regain the title. Why not just have a rematch? Were they just trying to boost Hart's championship reigns up?

When Russo was in the WWF he did the same thing with the I-C title, I remember.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

If you want to understand how the most rabid fans felt, look at the hate Meltzer gets from delusional TNA fans today just for talking about the company's financial realities. The exact same thing was happening then, they just couldn't tweet at him about it. He finds this, and I quote, "hilarious."

Or look at the rapid WWE fans today who get upset when he doesn't give every main event 5 stars

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I don't know about the subsequent ones, but apparently the first Battle Bowl the teams were truly drawn at random at the start of the show, so nobody had any time to prepare.

There could almost be a intriguing concept in there. A tournament where the partners are chosen at random, and as each round progresses, the teams get chosen at random again. The finals could be the winning team facing each other in a singles match

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 26, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

I think I've posted this before but I've been kind of following this in the back of my head during Tuesday Nitro and tonight was an important night in the chronology.

WCW debuted the Big Gold Belt in 86. It cost about $12,000 and featured fake jewels that the wrestlers apparently kept trying to steal and sell, which had to be replaced. It had one distinctive feature later on, a bend in the top of the belt. This first appeared in 89 when Muta used it as a weapon but got much worse as time wore on. By 98-99 the belt was looking pretty worn. Around the filming of Ready to Rumble WCW had some casts of the belt made. They went to Nash, DDP, Scott Steiner, the movie and one later to Jeff Jarrett. This becomes important later on.

At Bash at the Beach 2000 the bent belt is switched with the cast Jeff Jarrett has. Hogan wins it after Jarrett lays down for him and then both sides work themselves into a shoot. Hogan thinks he has the original belt, but he doesn't. The original belt is awarded to the winner of Booker vs Jarrett on that show, you can tell because Hogan's looks new and Booker's doesn't.

So that belt gets swapped around until the final Nitro when Scott Steiner, then the champion switches the original belt for his cast and Booker T wins that one to take to the WWF. Scott Steiner then keeps the original and has it in his personal collection.

I just rewatched the Rise and Fall of WCW the other night, and in several clips you could see how bad the Big Gold belt got, but also one of the tag belts. There was a shot of Hall wearing a tag title and one of the side plates was gone, and in a shot of Goldberg with the Big Gold, one of the side plates was falling off.

Reminds me of the main event of WM 14, and you could clearly see the Winged Eagle belt had a piece broken off

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

It's the kind of thing HHH would probably be into if the deal went through today. But they are trying to gather poo poo for if they ever put up a physical HoF.

The only ones missing from his WWF collection are the ones Hogan wore in 85, and 86-88

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/969985498256232450

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

here comes the spunk posted:

1992 Saturday Night is really fun. Say what you want about Watts, he sure could book a logical TV show and build dudes up.

Banning moves off the top rope was poo poo, however.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

I never got the point of that because it was supposed to get heels heat for going to the top rope, but people pop for top rope moves. There’s tons of other ways to get heat that don’t cripple face flyers

The "kayfabe" reason was even dumber: Wrestling's supposed to take place in the ring, so going to the top rope goes against that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

WCW had Mick Foley, Steve Austin, HHH, and Undertaker and didn't know what to do with any of the.

Books could be filled with people promotions dropped the ball on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The worst one they dropped the ball on was Austin because they knew how good he was. He was upper midcard on his way to main event for 2 years before hogan and his buddies came in.

Undertaker and hhh? 2 young guys that knew they could have a better chance elsewhere. I can’t fault wcw for losing them. There’s not a single person on earth that would look at mean mark callus and say he would be hugely popular for the next 30 consecutive years. Even Vince McMahon.

And no one outside hhh would say that he was destined to become one of the biggest stars of the 2000s and playing an not insignificant part in beating wcw.

The funniest thing is, if isn't wasn't for WCW and the Monday Night War, WWE most certainly would've dropped the ball on Austin and Foley as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The first Royal Rumble, in 1988, had 20 participants. One third of the field have passed away.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Race and Matsuda were in manager roles as SB III, so while they might be taking an occasional bump, it wasn't like they were going as physical as Sting or The Great Muta.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wrestlemania 6 is at over 50% Wrestlers/managers.

I don’t know if I have the stomach to look at those first few survivor series when there were 50-60 people on the card.

SS 87 isn't too bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Randaconda posted:

that's a good picture illustrating the lighting difference in WCW, which I liked better. It looked more sports-like with that lighting.

I always loved the look and feel of NWA shows from the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzVubip_CA

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 9, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MrBling posted:

In the early days at least in WCW, Stunning Steve would do like a short arm lariat after the stun gun.

Just pull the opponent up from the mat and yank him into a lariat. Then pin.

Even earlier, he'd hit the Stun Gun, then pick them up by the hair and then drive their head into the mat; kind of like a X-Factor, but dropping to his knees instead of a sit-out position.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Masters an ryback are two guys I really thought could have gotten the torture rack over as a finisher.

Remember when triple h tried to get the sleeper over in like 2003?

Remember when HHH tried to get the Indian Deathlock over?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

rujasu posted:

Big T was pretty bad in WCW, and I didn't watch WWF during his run, but I've heard he looked really promising when he first came in as Ahmed.

He looked promising as long as he didn't have to talk or wrestle.

He was sloppy as hell even in his in-shape WWF days.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

lmao it's like the AJ Styles tna mecca photo

I mean, what is that award even for? "Runner-Up of the year"? Were these like some stupid Slammy poo poo?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1167320887206375425?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

i think Bill really doesn't get enough credit for what a performer he was. there are people that like to pretend any jacked football player could have got over in the Goldberg spot doing 40 second squashes but I don't believe that for a second. you can't teach the intensity and charisma that bill had.

WWE flat out tried it with Ryback, but he didn't have it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Would you not pay to see a shaved troll kill a bunch of jobbers

Seeing as Lars Sullivan didn't pop any buy rates, no one paid.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

When Edge first debuted in the WWF, he had blatantly stolen several moves from Mortis/Kanyon, like the Electric Drop face buster, the Flatliner, and another move that currently escapes me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The problem with Edge's Spears is he always stopped moving at the point of impact.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

Were Edge's spears a contributing factor to his injuries that led to his retirement? Because if so, that makes them even shittier.

I remember Rhyno saying he suffered a neck injury doing a spear on Kurt Angle, when Angle accidentally moved in front of him. (Rhyno always said he told guys to move to the right when he was doing it, so his shoulder with connect with their midsection, but Angle moved left, and Rhyno went headfirst into Angle's abs.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

I don't doubt that but my real question was...
Did Meng no-sell getting maced for real?

There were stories of him getting into a fight with cops that ended with him getting maced and no selling it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

We were talking spears earlier:

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/910445394940846081?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I like that Booker has one piece of merchandise, but JJ has half a dozen

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He also, for whatever reason, won the first Royal Rumble.

It was 1988, and he was popular at the time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Did anybody else really like Doom? Simmons and Reed were a good team

They were good once they lost the masks.

Until 92 it was just a ppv where the hulkster got to bury 29 jobbers at once, brother. Everyone loves battle royals, so why not charge them $25 for a really long one and some undercard matches.

As someone who loved battle royals as a young'n, the Rumble was right up my alley. Once they made if for a Wrestlemania spot, it lost a lot of its luster, since any unpredictably over who'd win was tossed away.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 27, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

No, and I'm not thinking of Umaga either.

Rosey?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

What is it with southern wrestling and doing promos for tag teams where they're shirtless and riding horses around

Sumthin' for the ladies!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

coconono posted:

I keep trying to imagine Vampiro in a red beret and its not happening.

The GA's needed someone after Ray Traylor left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Better Than You posted:

Simmons beating Vader for the World Title was one of my biggest markouts as a kid

I hated that during his run they changed his finisher from the Spinebuster to a powerslam.