Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

triplexpac posted:

I wish the stupid WWE Network had all the Nitros on there so we could watch Nitro 100 at our leisure!

I think they'll probably start adding them once the old Raws they're adding catch up. (They're at the end of 1994 at the moment)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BillyMays posted:

Reading the Death of WCW and I got to the part about the Beach Blast movie with Sting, Davey Boy, Vader, and Sid. I thought I've seen all of these videos but I'm glad I was wrong.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/the-masters-of-the-powerbomb-crash-sting-the-british-bulldogs-beach-party-beach-26118334

Seriously how did this production cost $88,000?

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIU_Ln2wABQ

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

triplexpac posted:

WCW Fall Brawl 2000 might be the stupidest opening hype promo I've ever seen. Any other contenders?

Halloween Havoc 1993.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RZApublican posted:

Once upon a time, the Insane Clown Posse wrestled in WCW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOPC6Uc6xRI

and it was magical :allears:

There was once a match that was like, ICP and Vampirio vs. Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero, and Billy Kidman, which has to be the greatest disparity in talent between two tag teams ever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i still love the GAB 89 Wargames because i'm a LOD mark and they kick rear end in that match

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
actually here's a question- one thing I've heard about WarGames not being in WWF is that they don't have space for two rings- why is having two rings something inherent to WarGames?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DeathChicken posted:

Well, DDP dragged a hell of a good and long match out of Goldberg.

it wasn't really long

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hulk invented the Chipotle fast casual style, brother.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Luigi Thirty posted:

It was booked entirely to keep Hogan happy, in theory so he'd trust him better when trying to push Hogan into doing things he didn't think were gonna work, brother.

Didn't Hogan really, really want Brian Pillman to eat the pin in that one becuase he was pissed that Pillman was getting over with his early loose cannon gimmick? And then Brian scheduled himself for surgery that weekend?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DynamiteKidd posted:

Obviously 1999-2000 WCW is the worst major wrestling company/show ever, but, BUT, are you sure current WWE isn't worse it is current and WWE there are no good workers or matches or segments

huh?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kevin Nash being unprofessional stories are infinitely more fun than HHH/HBK being unprofessional stories.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Halloween Jack posted:

You know, in some industries it's considered unethical and unprofessional to deliberately do a bad job, profit while your company sinks, and gently caress over your customers and colleagues alike. Some people would even say it makes you a bad person. I'm not about to blame Kevin Nash for any deaths, but has it occurred to you that he stood to make even more money by helping the company thrive?

This is wrestling. The standard for being a bad person is really, really low.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't like to think about Marty Jannetty's WCW run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Maxwell Lord posted:

And buying plane tickets for all of them.

The real tragedy of WCW'S fall is that we may never again see a wrestling company run with such blatant disregard for financial responsibility.

Well, there's Lucha Underground :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At least two of the babyfaces would join the hijackers as a swerve.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Payroll companies probably deal with that anyway, right?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I want Bruce Buffer to get into real estate after UFC and for him to do the spin move when pointing out the granite countertops.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DynamiteKidd posted:

lol@ the marks who believe Ric Flair's "Jim Herd wanted me to be Spartacus" story when that movie was 30 years old and Spartacus 2 wasn't out

WCW tried to push a Wizard of Oz gimmick.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Russo didn't help but Bischoff was already enough of a moron to destroy wcw by himself. We're there any wrestling promoters in history who weren't absolute retards in one way or another?
Baba? I guess?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Observer explicitly states that the one thumbs-up guy was NOT Bischoff :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Remember when Scott Keith made some snide post about El Dandy being the shittiest worker on Nitro or something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mongo was responsible for one of my favorite moments in WCW, when I was so loving mad that the horsemen were going to do the job to football players at GAB '96.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

OldTennisCourt posted:

What would be the final moment where WCW had a chance of turning the ship around and becoming a legit contender against WWF? Things were way too far gone in 2000 and 1999. When did the financials go so to poo poo that there was no fixing it?

One second before they hired Vince Russo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Finley/Regal was good but the parking lot match they had on Nitro after that was much better

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hardys/MNM owned.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

pathetic little tramp posted:

I could be crazy, but I was watching the runup to the 1997 Starrcade debacle and I think I saw someone in the crowd

someone in back?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What was the last truly great angle/feud in WCW? Flair/Bischoff "FIRE ME I'M ALREADY FIRED"?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's unrealistic. Lucha Underground would never push Mexicans

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
look i had a joke and i'm sticking with it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah I don't blame WCW for pushing Hulk the way they did but so much of his early WCW stuff is just horrible, especially the vague attempts at changing up his character (Dark Side Hulk). By early 1996 he's absolutely a net negative on the promotion and I honestly got the impression that they were prepared to move on from him.

And then he became the best heel of all time for like three solid years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

astrollinthepork posted:

I want to watch Nitro since I totally skipped it as a kid. What would be a good starting point?

The night after Uncensored '96 isn't a bad one since it's right about when the Outsiders angle starts, you see some of the most awful moments of the tail end of Hulk's initial babyface run, and also you miss the Uncensored '96 cage match which sucks rear end. (if you happen to be doing a RAW/Nitro simultaneous marathon, you also miss the Michaels/Hart ironman match which also sucks rear end)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah Slamboree '96 is in the running for Least Consequential PPV Ever, along with that time WCW decided BattleBowl could be it's own PPV rather than ruining Starrcade

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

astrollinthepork posted:

Okay sounds good because the 3-25-96 starts off with this guy on the left talking and I don't know who he is but he is terrible:

Mongo is badass. Get out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassRafTer posted:

His contract paid for itself until 99 when it didn't.

He was absolutely a liability by the first half of 1996 which is part of why it was the best heel turn of all time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's a part right where he starts teaming with Booty Man where I just get the distinct impression that WCW was ready to move on without Hulk in the picture if necessary.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Not entirely related but Flair/Bischoff Nitro '98 might have been WCW's last great feud.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It ended horribly but it was always going to end horribly. I just love anything based in reality like that, and admire that it's very similar to Austin/McMahon but somehow doesn't even seem close to a ripoff of that feud.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
To put it another way I think most people would put the high-water-mark of WCW at like, the night before Starrcade '97 or something, but for me it was "FIRE ME I'M ALREADY FIRED"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassRafTer posted:

It didn't just end horribly, it was horrible for months. The promo was in mid September, the "blow off" was the night after Starrcade 98 (since Bischoff won at Starrcade.) In between it drags and drags and gets so dumb. Then the feud continues with Bischoff having to do Flair's bidding, Flair getting kidnapped and left for dead by the nWo, the First Blood Barbed Wire Cage match, etc.

It starts with two good promos and from there gets so bad with maybe two more great Flair promos?

It's one of the worst feuds WCW ever did.

It is a case of highs and lows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

algebra testes posted:

After watching the video of Cornette recounting 1989 in WCW I started watching the Flair booked stuff from late in the year.

Obviously, Saturday Night is the A show, and I've been really enjoying the poo poo out of it. If I wanted to pick up one or two of the other shows to watch which one should I watch? Pro, Main Event, Power Hour or WorldWide?

I remember Power Hour having good main events but I'm not really an expert on old WCW TV. From a quick look online, Main Event was the B-show.