Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Skinty McEdger posted:

<stuff about luchadores unmasked>

I would swear blind that in Bischoffs book (which is a mixed read actually, some interesting anecdotes and alternate interpretations of various events, but also a lot of blatant revisionism and buck passing) he takes credit for rey unmasking and maintains that it was a great idea and that he cant understand why anyone would want to see luchadores wearing masks.

I could be wrong about that, I picked it up for £1 and read it about a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Skinty McEdger posted:

As a side note Bischoff contradicts the gently caress out of himself in that book. In one of the early chapters he talks about how bringing in the masked wrestlers brought a new distinctive dimension to WCW, by the end of the book he argues that it was a marketing nightmare. This is depite the LWO t-shirts being one of the biggest sellers of 98, even when the angle only lasted for two months.

I remember thinking that at the time, especially considiring that when Rey turned up the WWE within a year there were arenas full of kids wearing offical WWE Rey Mysterio replica masks. Hard to merchandise my arse.

Its an interesting read rather than a good read really. Its funny seeing all the places where he contradicts himself or blatantly lies. Everything good that happens was his responsibility. Anything bad that happens was someone else fault (but not vinces, because the book was written when he was in the WWE). I really do get the impression that he completely buys into his own bullshit though, and even when he contradicts himself he actually believed each thing when he said (wrote) it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I still want to see some of the vignettes before this. Apparently they scrapped the gimmick because some advocacy group thought that the vignettes made it appear as though Seven/Se7en/whatever was a child predator. I'm really curious as to how it came across that way.

I always thought it was because colombine happened, and suddenly "Gothy outsider in a black trenchcoat" was seen as being in poor taste, but I'm probably totally wrong about that. I just checked and its the right year, but wikipedia specifically says the child predator thing. Dunno why I had in my head that it was columbine related.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Eh, I support the Goldberg vs Hogan title match on Nitro. Back then Nitro always still had an unpredictability factor. It seemed like all the time there were big events, injuries, debuts, etc taking place, and I thought Goldberg vs Hogan went along with that. It was also maybe the 2nd biggest match of all time (after Sting/Hogan) and it was great for the fans to not have to pay for it. Plus WCW back then used to treat Georgia Dome shows as if they were PPV's almost, and they were somethign special to look forward to.

*edit - Also just wanted to ask:

http://vodpod.com/watch/417924-goldberg-vs-hollywood-hogan

Will we ever see a crowd like that again at a wrestling event? Not just volume but insane excitement level. Fastforward to about 1:40.

Great for the fans, sure. TERRIBLE for the company as they made not a loving dime off one of the big money matches they had left. It was a one-week ratings pop (and not even that significant a ratings boost if I remember right) and was done to show some Turner execs (who, lets face it, could give not a poo poo) how popular Hogan/WCW was. Except the Turner execs legitimately didnt care. In fact I remember reading somewhere that they either left before the main event or spent the entire night in the back so didnt see the excited fans. Something along those lines anyway.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Timby posted:

I'm pretty sure that Sting has said that even if the paycheck was huge, he never wants to work for Vince.

I'm sure he mostly meant it when he said it and he probably still means it now (being involved in TNA means he doesnt have to make that decision, hes still working), but... If Vince had REALLY wanted him, I'm sure he could have got him. There have been more than a few wrestlers who would have said similar in the past and ended up working for vince.

If he had really wanted him, he could have made him a big offer and had a wrestler who was on good terms with Sting talk to him to reassure him that he wasnt being brought on to be humiliated, he wouldnt have to sew pokadots on his trenchcoat. Foley, Flair, whoever.

I'm also sure that he wouldnt have accepted in time to start the invasion off, but he would have possibly been able to make an arrangement in time to have Sting lead the invasion when it was in full swing instead of Austin. On the other hand, a WCW guy invading a WWE show would be the de facto heel, whoever he was, and he may not have gone for it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LividLiquid posted:

That's not the point and you know it. We're talking about people showing up in wrestling as their characters from other projects.

I think we are missing the most important point: Technically this means that Robocop is in continuity with Childs Play.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dylar Addict posted:

Hulk Hogan claims he was the one who moved the boulder when Jesus rose

And that he carried that boulder to the only ****+ classic of the night.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FishBulb posted:

Nah you're doing Hogan wrong, Hogan doesn't care about stars.

He would say something about him and the boulder drawing 30 million fans to the Roman Catholic Church or something.

Quite right, I should have gone with "And him and that stone got the only crowd reaction in the whole bible".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

To me the most plausible version of the regal-goldberg story is that Regal was given the instruction "Make him look good", went out and did just that by essentially lifting goldberg up and carrying him on his back to a decent wrestling match. Then he caught some poo poo for it because what they had MEANT was "Make him look powerful by him totally destroying you". You, me and 90% of the viewers know he made goldberg look good, but WCW management had decided that squash matches were the way to go with goldberg (and to be totally fair if the opponent was less experienced than regal at making an opponent look good then squash matches were probably the best way of covering Goldbergs limitations as a wrestler).

I dont think it was a huge huge deal, but I dont think it endeared Regal to WCW, and I dont think it did much for Regals company loyalty either.

(Edit to add: I watched the match a couple of years ago, from memory it didnt seem like Regal went out his way to stiff Goldberg or anything like that, or at least not any more than would be usual in an average match. I think one of the sticking points was that WCW wanted goldberg to seem unstoppable, so Regal getting in offence wasnt what they wanted, no matter how good it made Goldberg look)

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 5, 2010

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Psychlone posted:

Johnny B. Badd knocked out Arn Anderson in a boxer vs. wrestler match. Badd was at the height of his lipstick and streamers popularity here. Anderson, of course, looks disgusted at the premise of the whole match.

Lets be fair; Arn Anderson pretty much looks disgusted every second he isnt actively busting someones spine.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Dixie: I want 9 rings
Assistant: The Impact Zone can only fit 3.
Dixie: Then make the rings SMALLER.... geez, do I have to think of everything?

projecthalaxy posted:

Assistant:Well, the carts from WM3 got put up for sale...
Dixie:YES! WE ONLY NEED RING CARTS!

I've got it! The money match of the century... Wargames but bigger, with a dash of a match type so innovative that the WWE have never dared attempt one; King of the Road! 9 ring world war 3 featuring 27 wrestlers in 9 WM3 ringcarts, WHILE THE RINGCARTS ARE MOVING! They could call it World War 3: Maximum Overdrive.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

STAC Goat posted:

But the cost and work put into a WWE Channel would way outweigh the On Demand channel. Really, I don't think anyone ever really considers what a WWE Channel would mean. New studios, a ton new production, a major hit to the DVD market, potential daily live shows. Who knows if the increased profit would outweigh the increased cost of business.

Skinty is almost certainly correct. Its a nonsense bluff used to threaten networks when they're negotiating TV deals. "Well, we don't have to re-sign with you, USA. We could just start our own network. We have enough footage and knowledge." WWE might one day make the decision to go with it because they''ve never really been shy about overextending themselves, but no one should be holding their breath.

I'm not sure that there would be a major hit to DVD sales to be honest, as long as the WWE were smart about it. Show all the shows, Raw, Smackdown, Superstars, Nitro and Thunder and whatever else, but dont show the PPVs on the channel (or at least not as a regular part of their programming, maybe make one day a month "Old PPV day" or something, show old wrestlemanias the day before wrestlemania, things like that). The tape library of the WWE is ridiculously huge, and most of it isnt on DVD and the WWE dont seem to have any particular intention of releasing it (people have talked before about the potential problems with trying to make up a Nitro DVD set, so you are unlikely to ever see most of their tape library apart from very truncated "Best of Show/promotion X volume 1" style releases). That gives them a huge amount of material that they could show on TV that essentially costs them nothing (as they already own the tape library) except, if they are feeling fancy, the cost of recording a short intro/outro/link for each episode.

Then, release some DVDs. Not just Best of Thunder/Nitro/Raw/Global/whatever, but tagged classics style low rent DVDs of Starrcade, WW3, and so on. People can watch the shows on the WWEs subscription channel, then buy the DVDs to see the payoff*. Or put them on-demand streaming online if they dont want to invest in manufacturing physical disks.

Now, I'm not saying that it wouldnt be a huge risk (it would be, I imagine the start-up costs would be fairly sizable, and if it XFL'ed on them then they would have to go cap in hand to the networks and take whatever offer they could to get back on TV, because without a national TV outlet they are pretty much hosed), I'm just saying that it may be a bluff and a bargaining tool, but I dont think its a completely empty bluff.

Edit to add;

*Which brings us back to WCW! If they had remembered that you give the fans free matches to hook them in so that they buy the PPV and your merchandise, they might have lasted longer. Ratings are good, but buyrates are better.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 4, 2011

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Honestly, if a wrestler is limited (which is not necessarily the same as bad), I'd rather they had a good match by going through it beforehand than had a mediocre to lovely match that was called on the fly. With the caveat that if/when things go off-book (for example a move being botched or something unexpected happening) they should have enough savvy to improvise a little to get to their next planned spot rather than simply throwing a forearm to the back and then attempting the same spot again with the exact same set-up.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The martian thing would have been like the nWo, but the wrestlers were martians. Lance Storm would be the leader. But, Mike Tenay would be the secret mastermind, and they'd cut to a shot of him having antenas sprout from his forehead.

If they indicated "Alien Duplicate" by having the wrestlers wear deely-boppers that non-alien wrestlers couldnt see unless they were pointed out, that would have owned bones. I would unironically watch the poo poo out of that. Although wrestling invasion storylines are never handled well, at least with that one there would have been a good chance that no-ones wife would pin DDP.

Edit to add: Of course, Roddy Piper would be able to see the deely-bopper antenna, but only when wearing his sunglasses.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Quarex posted:

Huh. I assume the whole movie is not this good, or else I cannot imagine why this is not instantly mentioned as the best movie ever starring a professional wrestler. That was, like, genuine quality storytelling, and Roddy Piper actually did a decent job going from irritated that he got some stupid box of crap to terrified, all without saying a word. That is more than I can say for lots of actors, let alone wrestlers.

This IS the best movie ever starring a professional wrestler. It is in fact a drat fine movie with no qualifiers needed on that description at all and you should watch it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gonzo McFee posted:

The Princess Bride. :colbert:

Good point, well made. But They Live is still up there!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MassRayPer posted:

I'm not even going to pretend that I remember what the ratings for their matches are, but given the nature of TNA's TV ratings... yeah. TV ratings don't directly correlate with money for TNA so let's not even pretend this is the case. If either company could make tag teams a draw we'd see way more tag team wrestling in high places on the card instead of half hearted pushes or claims that tag team wrestling matters.

A friend of mine is a big fan of tag team wrestling, and attended a Q&A session with Johnny Ace maybe 5ish years ago and he asked why the WWE tag team division was treated as a total afterthought (Poorly booked, thrown together tag teams, established teams losing to single wrestlers in handicap matches and so on), and Johnny Ace who was a dynamic dude and whose brother was in the goddamn road warriors basically goes "Tag team wrestling? Why would you want to watch that? Besides, it means we have to pay 4 air fares for one match instead of 2, that doesnt make sense!".

I remember because my mate was practically spitting blood when he recounted this as he viewed it as hypocritical and rear end backwards in his opinion (and I'm inclined to agree) tag team wrestling isnt a draw because its treated as an afterthought, rather that being treated as an afterthought because it isnt a draw. As an aside Ace had been similarly disparaging about the concept of managers (as opposed to valets) in wrestling, so my mate George was not happy all round, being a massive fan of tag team wrestling and a big mark for Jimmy Hart and Bobby Heenan.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MrBling posted:

Lots of wrestlers never used their real names though, so what use is it to a fan to know that Lex Luger is Larry Pfohl?

Lex Luger is a bad example as he used the same name in WCW and WWF, but if you were a big fan of Earthquake in the WWF then you wouldnt necessarily pay any attention to "The Shark" wrestling in WCW. On the other hand if he was always called "Earthquake (John Tenta) and then you read a report that "The Shark (John Tenta)" or "Avalanche (John Tenta)" was in a match on WCW you'd know that a guy you were a fan of was on the show.

Obviously more useful in indies/territories where a guy might have a half dozen gimmicks depending on where and who he was wrestling, but thats the rationale.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I thought the point of stock music was that you paid a one time fee and then could do what you like with the track? And in some cases the fee is literally "Buy this cd of stock music"?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LordPants posted:

Is that the Botchamania thing "He tried to throw me in the pool, so I stiffed him and he said 'hey motherfucker - you stiffed me!'" ?

I want to say that was Van Hammer in that one, but I could be wrong.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cornwind Evil posted:

Yeah, it all worked out great for him, such a mindset.

To be fair, hes outlived how many of his peers?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Endorph posted:

If it's anything like his WWE record, he was middle of the pack for 8 years until he was inexplicably second place, in one race, for no real reason.

Going out of his way to unexpectedly rear-end rookie drivers.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Low Desert Punk posted:

i was getting gas the other day and Scott Steiner was on the next pump over

He drives the biggest, gaudiest SUV i've ever seen in my life. and he's not as tall as I thought he was

So both the SUV and the man get gassed every time they cross the street?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ColeM posted:

It's only a matter of time i think.

Isnt this true for all of us?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Randaconda posted:

No, RTC was hella over and was a good gimmick

RTC was a criminal waste of Stevie Richards.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

rujasu posted:

Depends who you ask. Anyway, here's lousy YouTube video of the match, you can probably find better footage on the Network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dnCnvet_iA

Really, I don't know exactly what happens and everyone seems to tell a different tale, but something is clearly not going right in this match. That Irish whip where Regal just stops in the middle of the ring is what gets me, that's not a thing that happens in pro wrestling matches. Regal was clearly going off book there, whatever the reason.

The most believable version I've heard is that Regal was told "Make Goldberg look good", and he (Being, by his own admission, all hosed up on drugs at the time) took that to mean "Go out there and carry the big half trained lug to a decent looking competitive wrestling match then put him over", whereas what they actually meant was "Get squashed".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm curious what Hogan was even thinking at that point. I'm sure it was something as simple as, "If I go over more and harder the crowd will come back around."

"Am I so out of touch? No. Its the children who are wrong."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many movie/TV show based angles did WCW have? I know of the Wizard of Oz, RoboCop, and Chucky. 3 Ninjas Whatever Mountain kinda maybe, since Hogan mentioned it by name as advertising.

Would you count ready to rumble? Also Arli$$.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BrigadierSensible posted:

Does anyone have a good word to say about Hogan? Coz you hear so many bad stories.

I guess Nash and Hall would respect the man's grift, and the way he helped them make wheelbarrows full of money. But I haven't heard many of the olde-timey wrestlers say much good about him.

I've heard that Big Show will defend Hogan to the hilt as Hogan basically got him into wrestling (and thus into WCW where he was immediately pushed in a main event feud with Hogan).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Raeg posted:

Anyone got any clips of Hogan's Pride days?

Tape doesnt exist of it, because he delivered a right high kick to the undertakers forehead that was so powerful it shattered the lenses all cameras in japan.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've never known a) why was he "hacksaw"? as a nickname that always seemed a little odd to me and b) why he carried a two by four specifically? Were those two things related? Was he supposed to be a carpenter?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah at a certain point Randys elbow drop stopped being "A bump you took" and started being "A terrible thing that happened to you".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just having creative control in your contract is a massive deal, no matter how often you technically use it, because it absolutely influences the writing and booking. "Should we book Hogan to lose to the new guy?" "Nah, no point, he'd never go for it. Give Hogan the win, its not worth the hassle.". Technically true that the creative control clause wasnt actually used by hogan there sure, but, especially if you've already been shown to be willing to use it to kibosh things you dont like, it means they're mainly going to offer you things they know you'll like because there is no point spending time planning something they know there is a decent chance you'll override.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Barry Bluejeans posted:

This will always be funny to me, I don't know if there's a quicker turnaround for a guy debuting like a monster to looking like a total dumbass

Shockmaster.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Halloween Jack posted:

Why wasn't it just Pizzamania? The world may never know

Because he missed a phone call while he was working out, and the next guy down their list to call was Dave Pizzahut.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MassRafTer posted:

I think Lance Storm had a better WWE run than WCW. He had a good month and a half in WCW and then some of the worst booking you can imagine.

Did they have the biggest star in the company encouraging the crowd to chant "Boring" at his matches? Because if not I still think advantage WCW.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MassRafTer posted:

No they just had him feud with Hugh G Rection which is worse.

Nah, you can walk away from a Hugh G Rection feud, BOOOOOORIIIIIING followed him for years.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Only time Buff managed to engage an audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah a lot of the business is rooted in the fact that wrestlers are essentially overgrown children and sometimes you need one to be the adult in the room.

I've interacted in social settings with a decent number of UK wrestlers, and thing you always have to bear in mind is; Well adjusted people dont let someone punch them in the face for money.