Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm watching a Nitro from June '96 right now, it's the one where John Tenta delivered the awesome "I'm not a fish!" promo. I totally forgot that he was feuding against Boss Man and the Giant, who were apparently best buds, which makes the coffin surfing incident a couple years later much more hilarious than it already is.

Meng and the Barbarian just beat the living hell out of High Voltage in one of the most brutal one sided tag matches I've ever seen. High Voltage were actually pretty swole looking dudes, making the beatdown even more fun to watch.

I'm pretty sure Hall and Nash show up later, I'm having way too much fun with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

So how about that WCW Pro eh? What a lovely show!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I still can't loving believe WCW initially called the Ultimate Solution "The Final Solution".

The local fed here in Hawaii has a 400 lb Tongan dude named "The Final Solution". Unfortunately the significance appears to be lost on the crowd.

http://olelo.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=26&clip_id=33038

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

1st AD posted:

Back then I didn't have money so I just put the TV onto the scrambled PPV and just listened to the audio of the event.

:respek:

Fond memories of listening to Kevin Nash win World War 3 '98 in what I'm sure was a terrible match.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Which was the WCW game that had like 100 guys in it with really lovely movesets? Thunder?

I liked it because every single guy you beat the game with would unlock another guy

Are you thinking of WCW vs. The World?

I remember being mad that I couldn't be Rey Mysterio, but it's ok because there was a generic lucha dude named Habanero!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Sid!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

My cousins and I listened to the audio of World War 3 '98 over the cable scrambles and it sounded like the most exciting thing ever. A few days later we watched it on a friend's VHS recording and were tremendously disappointed by the triple split screen. I can't believe I thought that Kevin Nash winning that debacle was incredibly cool.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Cromulent posted:

Starrcade 96 is the only WCW PPV I ever bought, and I regret it to this day. This was long past the days where I could beg my mom to order wrestling and negotiate that it would be part of my birthday or Christmas present. I had to hand her cash, and despite Dean/Dragon and Rey/Liger, I was pissed and never ordered another WCW PPV again.

I went through this exact scenario except a year later I relented and went in with my brother to get Starrcade '97. Fool me once . . . etc. Our dad even called us a couple of dummies for wasting our money.

Tokelau All Star fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 11, 2013

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Sir Jebus posted:

Or maybe he just remembered that it was poo poo in 96 and guessed it would be poo poo in 97 too.

"It always ends with someone running in."

-My dad

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

How about a clip of Sting and Lex Luger stealing a cop car to chase after the NWO limo? This was amazing and my 45 seconds of googling brought up nothing.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Gorilla was perfect for the exact time and place he was in, and I won't hear another word of that slander. :colbert:

What's really sad to me about watching WCW now is seeing how hot the crowd was for some of the upper midcard guys, because after a while the nWo trained WCW's audiences to not give a poo poo about anything.

Do people really not like Gorilla Monsoon? Size Sixteen! Suplex City! Irresistible Force vs. The Immovable Object! Will you stop!?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

coconono posted:

I cried when Pepe died. Not joking.

Chavo was gold in WCW. I loved his "obsessed with Eddie" gimmick, when during his entrance he would just constantly yell poo poo like "EDDIE! EDDIE!? THIS ONE'S FOR YOU EDDIE! LOOK AT ME EDDIE! EDDIE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Shave Seltzer

Makes me laugh every time I see it