Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

American Clamdigger
Oct 21, 2008

BlazeKinser posted:

Probably, but I'm also betting that it was the only way they could get Hogan to sign up with them. I also doubt they were very clued in to him being a huge primadonna backstage or just didn't realize how powerful giving someone complete control of their character can be, and just thought "hey this guy is really popular let's sign him up and people will watch our show!"

Granted it was a benefit in the short term, but still handing over that much power to anyone is a big risk at best.

It might have been in theory, but in practice it really wasn't. They never really built anyone up as a strong enough challenger to take the belt from him, and whenever someone did start to gain steam eventually Hogan's ego pushed them back into the midcard where they were discredited. It wasn't a case of the rightful contender being screwed and cheated out of his chance to take the belt off Hogan month after month, it was the nWo stomping all over everyone to the point where 75% of the roster ended up being in an nWo splinter faction just so they would actually get some TV time that didn't involve jobbing out.

Did you watch Nitro in 1997?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American Clamdigger
Oct 21, 2008
I might be in the minority but I enjoyed WCW from 96-98 more than the WWF/E at any point. The jobbers were great jobbers. Rey, Benoit, Eddie, etc. were in their prime, and Scott Hall was still cool and not fat.

It really does go back to Starrcade '97 though. The bungling of the main event plus WCW completely screwing up Bret Hart are two big pieces of what really set things off down the path of no return.