Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Putting Warrior on commentary would just be inviting FCC fines and hate speech suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Who the hell doesn't like Prime Time Wrestling? Monsoon/Heenan, man!

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I have always felt, for whatever reason, that WWF run ins felt a lot less cheap and more engaging than WCW ones. I think most of that is probably down to JR selling his surprise. He always sounded so indignant.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MassRafTer posted:

I believe it did better, SVDM ended up being a surprising disappointment.

That intro is still amazing, though.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Say what you will about Hogan but he at least wasn't pushing himself as champ at age 55 like old Gagne.

Hulk Hogan was 50 years old during his last world championship, actually.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Scott Steiner, in the later years of WCW, had effective creative control because everyone backstage was terrified of him. Rightly.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Angular Landbury posted:

IIRC Kevin Nash had some sort of creative control in his later WCW contracts. No idea if it was Hogan-level though.

I don't think he had a creative control clause, he was just booker for a while so he used it to put himself over.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

haljordan posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that Piper segment from last night's Nitro :wtf:

That was something loving else. I'm still not sure what they expected to happen there.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Was Piper just allowed to script all his segments himself, or something? That's honestly all I can think of, is a coked up Piper backstage somewhere going "Yeah, I'll wrestle Earthquake! And a boxer! And a MMA guy!"

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

bobkatt013 posted:

He also makes political cartoons. Also current day WWE needs more monster trucks.

Calling it: a monster truck sumo match is how HHH gets out of eating a pin at Wrestlemania.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

"Eric, we're looking at losses upwards if $60 million this year. We really need to renegotiate the big contracts if we want to rein in spending."

"Why contain it? S'cool."

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

This is a stupid question but I have to know for sure.

Is that seriously Jeff Jarrett's actual voice? Like, not an affectation or something? That's just what he sounds like?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Is there a particular reason they treated Flair like such poo poo when they weren't actively neglecting him, or was it just the general "WWF guys are better than our guys" attitude at its peak?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Red posted:

Instead of recap packages, why don't we get more videos about stuff outside the ring? An outside video/vignette promo can really build up a match.

We don't get promos about what happens outside the ring because nothing loving happens outside the ring anymore. Every single feud is built on "he cost me a match!", which only works as the reason for a feud when wins and losses mean something, which they don't, because we see the same people trading wins every week.

Like, it's weird. What WWE could really use right now is more sports entertainment.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What do you think they're doing with the Bella twins? What more do you want from people?

I actually kind of like what they're doing with the Bellas! I want them to also do it with people more charismatic than Brie.

(Nikki is actually a pretty good heel)

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Von Linus posted:

This is not remotely important, but when Roddy Piper was coming in to feud with Hogan, and he does a music video, and they say 'THERE'S A MESSAGE FOR HOGAN HERE' and the song is about how this girl is cute and how he wants to bang her, what message was I supposed to draw from that?

The message is just "Piper wants a match with Hogan." There are shots of a marquee with "Hogan vs. Piper" on it.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

If they had waited until Starrcade, would Hogan have done the clean job like that on PPV? Goldberg was closer to Hogan's idea of "on his level" than 97 Sting.

MassRafTer posted:

The summer of '99 is the worst period in WCW history because it's so boring and confusing everyone forgets it exists and just remembers the Russo stuff that came after.

I understand Carmen Electra drove a hummer?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The real question is where are the Hulkaroos and Hulkayoos? Was Hogan lying?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Halloween Jack posted:

Antonio Gnocchi?

Not since Rome... And Clare was gone.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

No, not at all, especially Jericho.

You could argue it for 2003 Hollywood Rock, but 97-99 Rock needed constant interference to keep his belt

I think he had one clean pinfall defense in a 5 month IC reign

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

DynamiteKidd posted:

You know what you're right this thread is about LOLWWE and LOLHHH and I was silly to think WCW hosed up Warrior's return and probably shouldn't have brought him in in the first place. After all, WWE is silly and HHH has a giant ego and always has to put himself over everybody so nothing else that ever existed could ever be bad or dumb.

Lol you're the same guy who kept getting pissy when people were wrong about house number minutiae last night

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

You all told me Lex "Mom Jeans" Luger was good.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Halloween Jack posted:

That's not fair to Lex; half of WCW wore Dad Jeans throughout the 90s.

This is why WCW was Always Bad

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Slapnut BLVD is still the real king

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Tony's Twitter makes him seem like a real rear end

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Jason Sextro posted:

yeah that's what I'm talking about - the blurred crowd in the back isn't moving at all and you hear all sorts of screaming and boo-ing. Superstars, Wrestling Challenge, Prime Time Wrestling, all those old shows. It's unbelievable.

TBH I vastly prefer to this to a dead silent Corpus Christi Raw

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

It's a great concept for an undercard if you have a strong draw match on top, I think.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I would argue Henry Godwinn was a better midcard face and heel than Jeff Jarrett

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

New York Rules

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

LividLiquid posted:

So, it's drat near impossible to sink a three-pointer for like, most people on the planet if they were alone in a gymnasium and had ten tries. Now imagine doing it in front of ten thousand people live in an arena and millions watching on TV, with a 7-foot dude waving his hands right in front of you, and it's a loving miracle anybody ever makes one.

It is not that hard to sink a three pointer in a gym by yourself, what are you talking about

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Sandman is a better actor than I expected.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MassRafTer posted:

So much worse. The segment with Athena is some of the most vile stuff in wrestling history. And I am not forgetting him keeping Liz on a leash in WCW.

I have read so much about wrestling, I have listened to so many old observer radios and read the death of WCW. How have I never heard of this happening?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

NikkolasKing posted:

Whatever they were like IRL, I always feel bad when I see all these wrestling podcasts. I figure they mostly all exist because ex-wrestling personalities desperately need the money.

Even if you don't die young, you kinda just languish in poverty.

Or you're Vince McMahon and you did steroids and drugs and alcohol and took crazy bumps but you're still alive and rich into your 70s.

Some of them seem more like for attention, which is pretty sad, too. A life on the road alienating your friends and family doesn’t leave you with much for old age once wrestling’s done with you.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

The Rockshooter owned

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

forkboy84 posted:

Someone on the other forum had the Arn from this pic cropped into his avatar. It's so good, it's about the only photo in his life where Arn looked happy and it's weird.

I always have to remind myself Arn is in his twenties in that pic.

e: ahahaha he’s younger than Luger, what the fuuuuuuck

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Ryback was really, really over. He popped a big buyrate for his title match at Hell in a Cell and the guy was charismatic as gently caress, even if he was sloppy. The way he looked, the way he carried himself, he always stood out as different from everyone else. Not anywhere near Goldberg’s level, but he still had it.

The Goldberg booking worked until they stopped doing it. Then they gave him a bunch of losses against Punk, the Shield, and a totally pointless loss to Mark Henry, which killed him.

Imagine if the Giant had beat Goldberg in the middle of the card.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

coconono posted:

yeah he looked like a shaved troll.

Would you not pay to see a shaved troll kill a bunch of jobbers

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MassRafTer posted:

Goldberg would do rolling kneebars and some other submission stuff early on.

In WCW/nWo Revenge Goldberg has a shitton of submission moves and it owns

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

mearn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEGs_ierWo

I always enjoyed Kevin Nash encouraging you to pick somebody else. Didn't even want to work more than he had to in a video game

I’m pretty sure some of the wrestlers misunderstood and thought they were being picked as opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I like the original Kane/Undertaker storyline, from Taker’s championship win to the blackmail to Hell in a Cell to the Wrestlemania match

Which Kane should have won