Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Found Ulrich's New Bassist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Kosmo Gallion posted:

For some reason, Larry was really over as an announcer in WCW, often leaving the booth while Schiavone was addressing the camera, to acknowledge the Larry chants.

I wonder how much of that was just the result of a hot crowd wanting to chant something close to "Jerry" when Jerry Springer was a huge deal.

I always thought he came off of as a pompous prick and not in a good, on screen character related way.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
More like Shimmy Hart, am I right?

I'm actually kind of impressed that Hart was able to climb up there and get it. I know it's mid 90's WCW, but how could anyone look at that set up and think it would work?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

IF THEY WANNA TALK TO YOU YOU BETTER NOT LISTEN
YOU MIGHT WIND UP IN CRITICAL CONDITION

Amazing lyrics for your young handsome face team. Don't talk to them! They'll beat you up.

I feel like the implication is that they give really bad advice.

"Hey Scotty, hey Marcus"
"Put foil in the microwave!"
"What? I was just saying hel.."
"Text and drive!"
"It's 1993, I don't even know what that means.."

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Boulder Brothers sounds like a lovely black box NES game.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I'm starting to think this Scott Steiner fellow may not be normal.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
When I realize I've been tricked into coming to some sort of evil lair my first instinct is to stick my hand into whatever random liquid I see first.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"Holy mackerel, Batman! It's Mr. Freeze!"
"AAAH! I'M NOT HOT!"

:laffo:

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

"Will things ever be normal again?"
"Maybe by the spring of '22"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN9fHMY76io

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

The American Dream posted:

He said he heard it watching nba post game or something and found out it was owned by turner and called basketball highlights #12 (or whatever number).

This was after he started and was using the music for his entrance.

I thought that was the Pearl Jam rip off theme.

Pretty sure he hated his first theme and picked baseball highlights #whatever to replace it.

His first theme is an actual song by a band that wasn't made for wrestling and the cover art is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAKglExkRyA

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

LividLiquid posted:

It's a piece of classical music, isn't it? Just gussied up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aI7Oo3GMo

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Didn't Vince think Paul Burchill's gimmick was based off of Erroll Flynn because he was totally oblivious to Pirates of the Caribbean?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

I don't recall but I do know there was an issue of disbelief there's a wrestler that thinks he's a pirate and not a pirate who wrestles which is why Vince didn't Get It.

This seems incredibly arbitrary so I can 100% see Vince saying it.

MassRafTer posted:

One of the writers said on Lagana's podcast that Vince did see Pirates and loved it.

drat, that's disappointing. The other way around is way funnier IMO.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Louis CKader.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 1, 2021

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

iamsosmrt posted:

Did the nWo end up building up anyone within the group aside from established stars like Hall and Nash? I mean like in the sense that Evolution built Randy Orton up.

There weren't really any young prospects in the group to elevate.

I guess you could argue that it completely disassociated Sean Waltman from the 1-2-3 Kid gimmick, for whatever that's worth. Same goes for Buff Bagwell and the American Males. Those two basically ran with their nWo personas for the rest of their careers. But I don't think they were any further up the card than they were previously.

I don't think Paul Wight got any more of a rub from being in the group than he did from his initial monster push.

DDP was elevated to star status by the nWo, but he did it by NOT joining.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I randomly thought of "wooo weee wababababababa!" today and kind of started chuckling to myself a little.

Someone asked me what I was laughing at and I said it was something from a podcast I listened to earlier.

Although, the dude who asked is one of the weirdest people I've ever met, so I probably could've just started making the noises and he would've nodded sagely and agreed with me.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe it would've kept him out of politics down the line.

Either that or we get a giant Paul Gosar that can choke slam people.

Not worth the risk.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

edogawa rando posted:

Which is worse? Erik Watts' drop kick or Vince Russo's legdrop?

Russo's leg drop is a better drop kick than Watts's drop kick.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

edogawa rando posted:

But that's like saying "Russo's German suplex is a better hurrucanrana than Cena's rana."

The first time I watched it I thought it was basically a low drop kick, but watching it a couple more times it's like Russo is doing an elbow drop with the side of his leg?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

kalensc posted:

Looking at that twitter account is how I just now learned about the Mass Transit incident.

Feel the same as when I first saw video of the Clint Malarchuk accident.

gently caress...

I'm not exactly squeamish but I cringe every time I think of that Malarchuk video.

Absolutely horrifying.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Pope Corky the IX posted:

US crowds also love chanting “USA!” for literally any reason at all so that helps.

That's why you gotta put him in Team Canada for the heat bro.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I meant that to explain how he was perpetually over, which is another reason he was able to get away with stuff like every match ending in a DQ or brawl to the back. I think he jobbed on PPV twice in his entire WWF career.

I know, I just think it's funny that WCW even managed to strip away the one thing he still had going for him at that point.

Although people have said that they were trying to book him terribly so he would quit.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

maruhkati posted:

"Meng vs. Miss Elizabeth went to a No Contest, 1:13" is a combination of words that could summon a loving demon.

https://twitter.com/garrettkidney/status/1637977485664215042

Dale Torborg wasn't on the show though.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Hall is an interesting one.

I feel like he was booked better in his first WWF run than he was in his second WCW run as a whole. He was at about the same level in both companies but Razor had way less embarrassing storylines.

If you factor in the Diamond Studd and WWE NWO it gets a lot murkier though.

I think Hall had more standout individual moments in WWE than WCW, at least in terms of positive ones.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 8, 2023

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I feel like there was a sweet spot between early Nitro and when they went to 3 hours and the beginning of the show got incredibly dire when they really found their groove with the preliminary matches.

That might be me having rose colored glasses though.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I fell down a rabbit hole watching random episodes of WCW Saturday Night from the early 90's on youtube Zbyszko was in the midst of a really awkward face run after getting kicked out of the Dangerous Alliance, I think.

He was going by Larry "the Cruncher" Zbyszko, I'm not sure why but that was extremely funny to me. "Watch out, he likes chips! Hide the vegetable trays, Larry's in town!"

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It was because he broke someone 's hand by slamming it in a car door

Ah, that makes a little more sense. I thought it was a submission thing.

I still feel like "Cruncher" doesn't carry the same weight as something like "Crusher" or whatever.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Larry "the Breaker" Zbyszko.

Could've had a dancing gimmick and teamed with PN News as a face.

Like when Captain Mike Rotunda suddenly had a boat.

MassRafTer posted:

Larry would never steal a legend's nickname like that.

Well of course not, that'd be like betraying his mentor.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Imagine if the NWO storyline went down the exact same way but with Darkside Hogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-3yDeIdrw

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Seams posted:

Sting is the Third Man and we get Hogan in the rafters

Using a sword instead of a bat in an extremely unsatisfying way like Triple H's sledgehammer because you're obviously not going to decapitate someone.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I think the WCW crowd saw Savage as a wrestler first and a character second and felt the opposite about Hogan. And like Dawgstar said, Hogan was shoved down everyone's throats while the fans were basically being told that their old favorites weren't important anymore.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

I'd say the continued employment of the Harris brothers in wrestling is a mystery but.

The Harris Brothers are a mystery
Nazi tats that Heyman sees
Mein Kampf is in their library

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’ve never seen Hulk Hogan and Les Claypool in the same place at the same time

My Name is Mud was originally My Name is Wood, brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

20 years later on Geraldo

Every time I go somewhere new I yell "I've never been here before!"