Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was a WCW fan for a long time, and going through this thread over the last couple days has been a blast. I remember all of the horrible, nonsensical booking, the blown angles, the apathy and laziness of the performers like it was yesterday. The Observer quotes are some great nostalgia, too. For all the fun stuff I do remember, like Mike Awesome nearly killing Shaggy 2 Dope, and the blatant casual racism of the announce team, I'm finding new stuff I'd never seen before, like Tank Abbott putting a knife to the throat of an opponent that he botched into a coma.

Thanks for the fun thread, guys. As much as I've read about the egos and the incompetence and the politics involved, it still blows my mind how something can get so thoroughly hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAcvg-XDFZc

So far as I can tell, this is the culmination of the, what, 18 month long feud between Jericho and Malenko. I know Malenko ends up screwing him over at some point so that Jericho finally ends up dropping the belt for good against Juventud, but I also seem to recall there being some other "Last Chance Match" that had Malenko losing through some kind of confusion in booking, like ring outs were a loss and Malenko didn't know it, or something stupid like that. Am I nuts or did this really happen?

Either way, if they really ended the Jericho-Malenko feud on Nitro, that's just flat-out idiotic. I don't remember there being a PPV ending, and I shelled out 30 bucks a month for those dumb shows back then.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Gavok posted:

That ring-out thing was from long after the Jericho feud. It was Malenko's last match with the company during a PPV where they had to move around all the matches due to mass injuries. It was a Catch as Catch Can Match against Kidman that he lost.

Huh. I would've sworn it was against Jericho, or that it was at least something very similar. Thanks.

fake edit: Now that I dig a little deeper in the old memory bank, I'm pretty sure you're spot-on. I did not watch very much WCW sober.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Schiavone reacted to people (well, Mexican wrestlers anyway) getting cranked in a match like my three year old does. The casual racism of the WCW commentary crew was always equal parts awful and hilarious. Like when Heenan would sometimes say I SMELL SALSA! when a mexican wrestler got smashed.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I may have mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but speaking of production, I love the Thunder episode where they aired a replay of the SHOCKING SWERVE finish of a Sting/Villanos match at the beginning of the show when the match took place at the end.

I don't think they ever actually had a guy whose job it was to pay attention to poo poo like that. And yet they gave millions to Master P, Dennis Rodman, KISS and Chad Brock.

EDIT: There was also a Nitro where Mike Awesome was taken away in an ambulance after a post-match beating...and then showed up in the next scene carrying a coffin around backstage, looking fine.

This is one of the things I miss about Nitro and Thunder and pretty much all of WCW. There was no quality control. There was no continuity. No one was accountable for anything, and once it was apparent that it was beyond saving it almost made the show watchable again. That thing with Tank Abbott holding a knife to a prone opponent's neck is still amazing to me. "I'm gonna attack him with a weapon after the match, okay?" "Huh? Yeah, sure sure. Whatever, Tank."

Obviously the bloat and the gently caress-ups reduced the business in the eyes of anyone with half a brain, and it died much later than it should of. You shouldn't watch a wrestling show because of how funny it is to watch them suck so amazingly bad, especially if you care about the business one bit. But it's fun to reminisce on it, and it was pretty goddamn funny.

God, Lex Luger hosed up more than a couple taped promos. How do you let that happen?

e: Whether I watch wrestling or not I still go through those old Observer quotes about once a year. If you wrote a TV comedy about a wrestling promotion and worked half of those amazing stories into it, someone would say "Don't you think you should dial it back a bit? Who's gonna believe that?". It should be required reading for anyone who wants to get into production or editing.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 16, 2011