Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Wendell posted:

describes himself as having been drugged out of his mind and in terrible physical shape. He was heavily addicted to pain killers at the time.

None of that surprises me, given that he went to WWF after that, then to rehab, then I think back to WCW. My memory is quite hazy.

I did manage to find the Goldberg/Regal match on Youtube a while back. It was quite good for a rookie Goldberg match, but within the context of his push, it made very little sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Can anyone tell me why that bout between Booker T and Jeff Jarrett for the World title in which they fought over four boxes, each on a pole, was called a "San Fransisco 49ers Match"?

It was...in...San Francisco? v:shobon:v

I'm not saying that to be a dick, either, because it doesn't make a bit of sense and that's the only tie the match name has to the concept.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Man's man was before the Goldberg incident. Regal was only in WCW once.

No, he was in WCW twice. He went back to WCW briefly in 1999-2000.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Then how was he in WWF at the time, feuding with Jericho?

Edit: To be clear, I'm not doubting your claim. I'm just looking to refresh my memory.

He was in WCW from 1992 until the Goldberg incident, which I believe was early 1998, January-April 1998. Then he got canned and went to WWF. He was in WWF for a short period, went to rehab and got fired in 1999, then went back to WCW until he lost a loser-leaves-town match to Jim Duggan on WCW Saturday Night. Then he ended up in WWF again.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Akileese posted:

• WCW booked an Inferno Match between Sting and Vampiro. The match ended with a stunt double dressed as Sting plummeting off the big movie screen and through a hole in the ramp which was filled with foam. WCW's commentary team then proceeded to basically re-hash the commentary from J.R and Jerry Lawler after Owen Hart's accident. The comapny subsequently received tousands and thousands of letters complaining about the distatseful nature of the incident.

Holy loving poo poo. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd say I didn't want to see a WCW skit but there goes that.

This is the kind of factoid where I go "well that's why TNA isn't quite WCW yet" and then I remember TNA putting a plane going down in Sheik Abdul Bashir's music, signing Pacman Jones right after he'd been suspended by the NFL...I'm starting to wonder how much fun we could have with a "TNA = WCW?" thread.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Sugar Blaster posted:

van hammer is also the guy who bitched because he had the lowest military ranking in loving MIA.

Wasn't he supposed to be Private Stash but instead of getting the joke and laughing about it he just bitched that he was playing a private instead of a higher rank?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Hulk Hogan press slammed a (then) 1200 pound "Dear Leader" Kim Jong Il in front of 3.8 million screaming North Koreans, Mean Gene!

They tell the same story in North Korea, only with the roles reversed.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Wade Barrett is actually Kim Jong Il

Daniel Bryan was let go because he was showing insufficient zeal in the NXT Youth Games

Wade Barrett's new nickname is Dear Leader.

Who was the source for that story about the North Korea trip?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
2000 WCW was the most fun trainwreck TV ever.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If only they had put Sid on the booking team with Russo, Ferrara, Sullivan, and Bischoff. That would have been entertainment.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Psychlone posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the first Uncensored PPV is the worst PPV in history.

I'm not disagreeing with you since it's been ages since I've seen the first Uncensored PPV; I just want to know: have you seen New Blood Rising and/or Heroes of Wrestling?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

You didn't know about Yoshi Kwan? I thought he was one of the color pictures inside of Death of WCW.

He was in Wrestlecrap, not Death of WCW.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If you're about to trash Bill Goldberg vs. Al Greene then get the gently caress out of here.

Thinking back on it, wow, you're right. Goldberg was second banana to Hogan up through Halloween Havoc. He won the title right before the Rodman/Malone match, then he fought Jay Leno, then the Warrior program. After that, Nash got the book (I think) and they started Nash/Goldberg.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think the actual line was, "Suicide dive! And it's a shame he didn't succeed in taking his own life!" Which still doesn't top the Benoit quote, but it's close.

I don't know where I heard this (it might have been in this very thread and I just have a poor memory) but I remember that when Scott Steiner first joined the NWO, his nickname was "White Thunder" because he had dyed his hair blonde and wore a white singlet, but they changed the nickname quickly because it was considered racist. Is this true, and what's the story behind it?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
That reminds me of a Survivor Series match with Ahmed/HBK/Bulldog/Sid vs. Razor/Douglas/Owen/Yokozuna. When Bulldog's the second best worker on your team, there might be a bit of trouble.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I picked a very poor way of insulting Sid and Ahmed Johnson. My mistake. As penance, I will watch Bulldog vs. Bret from SS 1992 and clips of the British Bulldogs murdering jobbers from the 1980s.

Speaking of Sid and the millennium man gimmick, is it just me, or did Death of WCW see the whole angle wrong? The whole streak thing seemed like a goofy schtick he was doing just to instigate Goldberg, but the book seems to think that the whole thing was supposed to be taken seriously.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Maestro was great just for the way he sold James Brown finally showing up.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Still, those no people who bought the show to see him got to see a catatonic Maestro as a bonus.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
God bless the Stro for being an optimist about it. Better to be featured on WWE.com than not, I suppose.

Also, I have yet to not remember one of the "obscure" or "forgettable" WCW talents mentioned on the website or in this thread. I don't know what that says about me.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure that's not what people were saying, but way to extrapolate. Just that as bad a worker as Van Hammer was, he did provide a handful of entertaining matches/moments in the eyes of some.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
You want to REALLY hate WCW, put on Fall Brawl 1998.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Quite possibly the worst feud of the Monday Night War era. I would say the 1990s as a whole, but I don't know enough about the early 90s to say that with 100% confidence.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Vader. I thought Vader was going to do it.

I'm pretty sure Vader was long gone before Goldberg even debuted.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I remember seeing some old WCW Saturday Nights from back then, before Hogan came in, and there was Stunning Steve Austin, as U.S. champion, and he was in a feud with Steamboat and even calling out Ric Flair in a couple of promos. I don't know if there was ever a plan to have an Austin/Flair program, but even back then Austin was a great midcard-level heel, and seeing him and Flair back then would have been great. Again, I dunno if it's one of the things they had in mind before Hogan came in and they had to scrap everything, or if it was just a random thing Austin was doing to heel it up.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

According to Flair he was grooming Austen to be his replacement. However it is Flair who said that.

I have no doubt that Flair would claim something like that, but I also think that if he had been asked to put Austin over, he would have done it. Even without hindsight, you could see the talent that Austin had.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Madden was over-the-top obnoxious as a heel announcer, worse than Cole ever was. About the only positive thing you could say about Madden is that he was never involved in his own angle (unless you count Tank Abbott beating him up that one time).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If there was a Mount Rushmore of awful PPVs, I think it would include Heroes of Wrestling, Bash 91, December to Dismember, and Victory Road 09 or 11.

I'm amazed that despite the complete ineptitude of WCW in their later years, they never held a PPV that was as awful as Bash 91. It really was their worst PPV ever.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Man, I forgot how many dreadful WCW PPVs there were. Tempted to compile a best/worst PPV ever thread.

At some point, in order to weave through all the awful PPVs, you have to disqualify any PPV that has at least one good match, which might include Bash 91 (if I remember right, Windham/Luger was actually good action, but it just had the crowd making GBS threads all over it).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Wasn't it all messed up because they had future plans for guys like Austin and Steamboat, then Hogan came in and they literally dropped everything they were doing, and flashturned Flair heel so he could be Hogan's first program?

And then there was Steamboat's injury, Hogan bringing in his buddies, and the rest is history.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The sheer number of nWo beatdowns doesn't really surprise me too much, but the amount of times "garbage" appears is really baffling. How could WCW let the fans continue to do that? Did they just love the visual of it?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
File that alongside the fact that ECW was around for eight years (and only Extreme Championship Wrestling for 6 1/2 years), and it's been dead for eleven years. We've been dealing with ECW nostalgia for, at best, for three years longer than the lifespan of the promotion.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

The 5 trailers will contain everything interesting about the interview so there will be no reason to watch the DVD. This is the case for nearly every KC DVD.

As someone who has watched a lot of the Timeline DVDs, this is really accurate.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Watching old Giant/Big Show matches, especially against Hogan, are really funny because Giant bumps like a motherfucker for Hogan, and not like a seven footer should. He doesn't know his own size yet, in addition to being pretty green, and it's night and day from Big Show in his prime.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
One of the biggest Giant moments is the Souled Out 1997 match, where Hogan legdrops him and then circles the entire ring posing to the fans on each side. At one point, Giant stands up and starts following Hogan, and Hogan is so caught up in his celebration that he even steps over where Giant used to be without noticing anything is amiss. Then after ages of celebration, he turns around to make the pin, and then he is caught by Giant.

To be fair most of that is Hogan, but it was one of the shining moments of that godawful PPV (along with the Guerrero/Syxx match).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Was there some drama about people not wanting to take the pool bump? Why not? The easiest bump. The bump that isn't.

I remember seeing a Botchamania once where Bull Pain was talking about the pool bump. He mentioned that they told everyone NOT to do pool bumps because it was happening in the main event with Flair, and he said he hated pool bumps anyway because it messed up your gear.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Didn't they make him a mummy because it was originally going to be El Gigante and they wanted to conceal his identity?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

Their look at the Dungeon of Doom storyline from beginning to end was just great. Uncensored '96 to me is Peak Hogan.

I've been listening to the audio form of OSW Review from the very beginning and hearing them gush about how great of a babyface Hogan was in 1986-87 is really funny considering where he goes just ten years later.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
One of the only checkmarks people cede to Russo is "he tries to get new people over," but even that is immediately followed by, "even though he has absolutely no idea how to do so."

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
You'll forgive me if I don't believe something that Hulk Hogan says.

There was no innocent party in that whole Hogan/HBK situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok so I dunno how it was received at the time but Sid's delusional streak is kind of fun. I dont know where it ends but it seems like a great heel gimmick paired against Goldberg.

I also forget how it was received at the time, but it kinda irked me that Death of WCW paints it as this serious angle that was part of the downfall instead of just a goofy heel thing to do.