Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Look what I found on the Pro Wrestling Only board: The mythical USA today ad http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/bkdtatrhrt/birdshit.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

simosimo posted:

I just finished reading The Death of WCW. What a great read! I've wanted to know the ins and outs of WCWS gently caress ups and wow, they really were hosed. I do wonder what the Pro wrestling landscape would look like these days if they were still around though.

In WCW mode I fired up WCW Mayhem on the PS1, and the commentary in that game is still awesome compared to the current PS3 games.

In true WCW fashion, I had a random match at Slamboree, it was Scott Hall vs Juvi.G , Hall proceeds to squash Juvi in 4 minutes for the win. Surprised Nash didn't turn up!

Also changed Smackdown on WWE 12 to nitro, instead of complaining about stupidly booked matches and angles, I can just say 'heh, nitro'.

I do wish Tony S would commentate on either TNA or WWE, I love his voice. Cole is stupid, and I can't stand Tazz, and to a lesser extent, Tenays lil grindin' voice.

That reminds me of my most surreal video game wrestling moment, while playing Mayhem. I was using Raven, and wrestling Scott Norton, and Norton gets me in the corner, and puts me on top. I figure he's going for a superplex.

No.

He goes for a top rope hurricanrana. Which I then reverse into a superbomb for 3.

I'll say that again. Scott Norton, who weighs like 320-330, went for a top rope rana. That game's AI and moveset were weird, man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The guitar work in Foley's theme also sounds a LOT like the Pixies "Dig For Fire".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hirams Bitch posted:

Based on his appearance on Legends Roundtable and on all prior DDP experience, any question you ask him will end up in a story about how awesome DDP is (of course, we all know DDP is not awesome and never was, but any story from DDP will be about the greatness of DDP.)

The wrongest post. DDP is one of those guys who actually deserves to toot his own horn. Bishoff gave him a job, but he got over because he worked his rear end off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's also a claim I've seen multiple times on the net where it'd be revealed that Steve Austin was Flair's illegitimate son before Hogan came around, and Flair would help take Austin to the top.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of the greatest heel moments I've ever seen is Double J being told by Larry Zbyszko that he couldn't use his guitar or he'd lose the world title, so he nailed Kevin Nash (I think) with a viola instead, that he'd hidden under the ring.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm sure his issue with women comes from high school experiences, like a lot of dudes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He also had an idea where they'd have an invisible wrestler.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The tag division was pretty good. Plus, Steve Regal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Really? There are still dum-dums who believe that?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not only does the timeline not match up, do you think Vince McMahon, the most vindictive man in wrestling history, the Prime Minister of the Insolvent Republic of Vindictivstan, would do a 3 1/2 minute tribute to a guy who raped his daughter after he died? No. He also probably wouldn't write a tribute to him in I wanna say Time Magazine, or say goodbye upon Randy's departure of the company (to Vince's hated competitor, I might add)in a classy manner on TV.

There's also the legal aspect of it (why wouldn't Vince have him arrested or at the very least, investigated?), and I'm pretty sure Randy would have been blackballed altogether once the story got out. Granted, there are lots of sleazy assholes in the business, but this is one of the sleaziest things I can think of to do to another human being outside of killing them. And it's purported to have been done to the daughter of the most powerful man in the business? The gently caress outta here.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pro Wrestling only board discussion on scummiest wrestlers posted:

Heh, I still remember a 1998 Bruce Mitchell column where he made the compelling argument that the Flock was a veiled, coded version of a specifically homosexual cult with Raven as the leader who "turns people to the dark side". Not in a whiny "...and that's offensive!" tone, but just analyzing their individual roles and comparing them to traditional negative stereotypes within the gay community. Early young Kidman was the archetype of "the runaway teenager, desperate and broke, picked up at a bus station" iirc.

I never thought of it this way, but that makes perfect sense.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It'd be a hell of a sociological experiment, just to see how much more the people who already hate Cena could go.

IF CENA WINS WE GENOCIDE

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm gonna play Devil's advocate and say that Bagwell was shockingly good in Japan, and I thought he had gotten decent before the neck breaking incident, but at the same time, he was all shtick by the time Vince booked that match, and they should have put Booker against either Kanyon or DDP. I believe Steiner was taking time off for injuries so I don't think he was an option, and neither was Goldberg or Sting.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In fairness, as useless as both of them are, ringwork wise, Warrior vs Goldberg WOULD have been big money, assuming Russo managed to not gently caress it up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In a related note, the country music station in my town uses the Thunder logo for promotional purposes and advertising. I'd say they're asking to be sued if I thought WWE would care. They're even called Thunder 101.5. Here's the website http://www.thethunder.ca/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wonder if, at least in retrospect, Hogan realizes that he basically legitimized Dave if anything. I'm sure to that point only subscribers and people in the business were aware of Dave. Not only that, Hogan exposed the business, and to top it off, I'll bet money Dave had already been on the internet for a while at that point.

If some mid-carder had tried to pull this stunt, he'd be blackballed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Piper's made some VERY questionable choices.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know for a while he wanted to do movies his daughter could see.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Reading his book will also shed light on this.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Hogan Knows Best was a about as real as pro wrestling.

Even so, it consisted of him agreeing to say things on camera that made him look like an idiot. Still a sign that Hulk's judgement is lacking on a fundamental level.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I believe the intention there was to train him and use him like they would any other wrestler. But that's an obscene amount of money for a guy who COULD be useful once trained. And of course, he wasn't useful.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That line about how Page got his spot because of his friendship with Bischoff but actually delivered in said spot, unlike Brutus, needs to be repeated EVERY time somebody points out how he got his push.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
No way. The best was when somebody like Austin or DX would say something bleepable on a live feed and the censors would miss the actual cuss by a mile and censor out the rest.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I belive Tony was doing Play By Play for the Richmond Braves the last I heard of him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRanTer posted:

If something is making you money, you don't take it away. If Kevin Nash is telling you something that makes you money isn't important you know he is full of poo poo.

Especially considering how motivated by money Kevin has always claimed to be.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Probably somebody who he used to ride with in WWF, lord knows there's lots of people who worked late 80's WWF who had a WCW contract at the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

Konnan actually talked about these sign-in sheets on his last podcast. The wrestlers hated them, because it was a way to make sure they showed up at the right time (like 6 hours early) for Nitro and people got really bored sitting around for that long, so they'd always show up and sneak out, or get their friends in the back to sign their names for them. Eventually, Johnny Ace got tired of this and got them to install machines that took a thumb print to verify who was there. Rick Steiner put his dick in it.

I feel like there's probably a lot of stories that end with "and Rick Steiner put his dick in it" from WCW's glory days.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Oh wow, that'll be great. Those two REALLY kick the poo poo out of each other.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That would explain why the company failed then, because Zbysko was never any good. At anything.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

He was the master of keeping a feud going after the person he was feuding with died

I feel like that didn't get enough love that year for most disgusting promotional tactic, but it's possible that Zbysko just thought it was a good idea t the time to try and preserve kayfabe.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Sheamus murdered Jamie Noble.

"GET 'EM AGAIN, BIG RED!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MD2020 posted:

How much did WCW shell out for the KISS demon?

Considering the return they got on him, the answer is clearly "way too loving much", Although I do enjoy that to get around the provision in the contract they had with Gene Simmons that dictated he main event at least one PPV, they just put him in a throwaway match on some PPV and referred to it as a "special main event".

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 10, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I loved the Bunkhouse Buck one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

He was just cutting Big Al's beard.

Right after he said "I could loving kill you right now".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

The idea that at one point Lance Storm was carrying around three titles boggles the mind.

If Russo had gone through with his original plan, you'd have been more boggled. He challenged Booker T one night for the WCW title and the original plan was for Lance to win the title.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

The best thing was when Raven and two other WCW guys were on "Win Ben Stein's Money"

Raven did pretty well! He got to the final round against Ben and if I recall it was fairly close.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of the realities of HHH is that he's just not good enough to carry guys. His matches with Steiner made that readily apparent.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I honestly don't think Steph has enough character to run a business like WWE or be in a high ranking position even at this point in her life. There was a reason why Shane took all those ridiculous bumps. He wanted to be able to shoot poo poo with the wrestlers when he took over and be able to say things like, "I know where you're coming from man. God drat, this one time Kurt Angle was supposed to suplex me through this wall, and the fuckin' thing didn't break." It's probably also the reason he left to be his own man. It's like, Shane comes from money, but he knows the value of building character and life experience. I don't think Steph has the same drive. I mean her run as on on screen performer was OK and I wouldn't expect her to take these huge bumps, but I bet you wouldn't see her helping tear the set down after a RAW or any of the other grunt work that would help her appreciate the entire production and the work that goes into it.

I'm just basing this on speculation, of course.

Wasn't it revealed that a few of Shane's ideas actually got pitched for booking and they were grounded even less in logic and reality than Steph's ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Road Dogg in particular singled Russo out as a guy who had no idea how to book finishes, and after a while, they'd come up with their own. Russo made the mistake of confronting the Outlaws one day about it and they proceeded to tell him to get hosed and physically threaten him.