Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

crossposting this from the other thread, but this is the highpoint of WCW and I'll fight anyone who says different(I won't actually fight anyone, I'm a sissy)

It's certainly the most I ever enjoyed WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Maybe you had something different in mind, Zodiac, but Gavok already did a big series on the WCW comics on his website-
http://www.4thletter.net/2007/04/secret-war-games-the-marvel-wcw-comic-part-1/
http://www.4thletter.net/2007/04/secret-war-games-the-marvel-wcw-comic-part-2/
http://www.4thletter.net/2007/04/secret-war-games-the-marvel-wcw-comic-part-3/

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

My problem with WW3 was that it was just so hard to follow. There was just so much poo poo going on at once that it took forever to really be able to follow what was happening. And that problem was exacerbated by that stupid triple split screen. Decent idea in theory, but in practice it didn't work out for me.

Think about how many people have gotten over by having long runs in the Royal Rumble, nearly getting eliminated on multiple occasions, but managing to hang on, or getting a hot streak of eliminations. With WW3, you never really got that story cause it was impossible to follow anyone specifically. It would get down to the last ring, and you'd be like "huh, Regal and Mysterio are still in there. How about that?"

I had an idea for a match that took advantage of a two ring set up, but I was never sure if it would work out in practice. Have a title match going on in one ring, and a battle royal in the other (8-12 guys). If a wrestler eliminates another in the battle royal then he earns the right to join the title match and it's now a three way (and then as more elimination occur in the battle royal, a four way, five way, etc etc). So the guys in the title match are trying to end it before anyone else can join the match and the guys in the battle royal are trying to get an elimination so they can join the title match before it ends.

Again, not sure if it would work out in practice at all though.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The trouble would be focus, really. You can't have two simultaneous matches that are, by necessity, differently paced, and a fast paced desperate title match might sound okay in theory but I really doubt it would work in practice.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Oh well.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I agree - it definitely takes a production team and announce team that can come together to keep things focused on the eliminations and not just whatever one or two key guys they want to get over that day. Make each elimination feel like a big deal and at least show replays and have them comment on it.

I'm not sure this ever happened at any time in the entire existence of WCW.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Is Spice the one that HBK married?

No, I think that was Whisper. Was Spice the one with a mouth like a carp?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

I was in my first year of university, deciding that I didn't want to ever do math again in my life. I hadn't regularly watched wrestling in about a year when I heard about the sale.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

Can someone please tell me if he was at Wrestlemania 26? I don't have the DVD with me at the moment so I can't check for myself.

He was backstage with Mean Gene and I believe they implied that they were swinging with Moolah and Mae Young. Or am I thinking of a different Wrestlemania or inserting him in place of someone else?

Because he didn't look too bad at all from memory with all things considered, he'd definitely aged quite a bit and lost a lot of weight but he looked nowhere near as bad as in that picture.

He truly is one of a kind, an amazing entertainer.

It was XX when he and Gene were doing the poo poo with Moolah and Mae, cause Coach was the one who caught them and he was on orders from Eric Bischoff to try and find Undertaker, who was re-debuting that night.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

Was AJ the guy who seemed like the leader and was the mouth piece for the Natural Born Thrillers?

That's really odd because I have no recollection of watching XX. Thanks for the information though. It's a bit sad, I thought that the Heenan I saw there was him recovering from the therapy. Although he's starting to look better from a couple of more recent pictures I've seen of him, he seems to be growing some hair back and putting on a bit of weight.

You probably saw it on youtube or something. Either way, good to know Bobby's looking a bit better these days, that picture of him with Bundy (who still look like he did in 1995) was the most recent one that I'd seen.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

I'll be happy if there comes a time when I can see him on old Raws and Nitros he was in on the On Demand service. That'd be enough for me.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Do they seriously cut all his segments out of Nitro and Raw on Classic On Demand? That is so lame... no wonder why some of those have felt kind of short for a 2 hour program.

It's kind of ridiculous the way they do it too. Matches, interviews with just him are cut completely. But in the most recent one I watched, they were building up to Mongo/Benoit vs. The Faces of Fear, and Mongo/Benoit came to the ramp to watch the Faces beat up High Voltage. Rather than scrap the whole segment, or edit out the parts that showed Benoit watching, they just edited out any time the announcers mentioned him, so there were huge dead spots in the commentary.

Same thing when all the Horsemen came out for an interview once.

Mean Gene: "Please welcome The Four Horsemen! Arn Anderson, Brian Pillman, (noticable pause) and the Nature Boy Ric Flair!"
Yet Benoit is in the background of almost every shot.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Classic WCW too, they put an arguably 5 star wrestling classic on in front of a crowd of drunk bikers who couldn't care less about wrestling.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

I saw a version of Wrestlemania 2000 from on demand I believe that had the Kurt Angle pre and post match promos for his match with Benoit and Jericho on them but with the match taken out.

I don't understand why you just wouldn't take out the promos too if your going to take out the match.

A shame too from my perspective, I really want to see that match again from memory it was fantastic. It was a two falls triple threat match with the first fall for the European title and the second for the Intercontinental title with Angle losing both belts he was holding them at the time without being pinned in either fall in a match he was booked in involuntarily without consent by his mentor Bob Backlund.

Angle had such an amazing rookie year in 2000, it's amazing how well he adapted to the WWE.

Yeah, I love that match too. Here, enjoy - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xca7pr_chris-jericho-vs-chris-benoit-vs-ku_sport

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Did he ever do anything other than those WCW road reports? I can't remember.

When they needed multiple announce teams for World War 3, he worked at least one of those. He got decked by Kevin Sullivan during the Horseman-Dungeon of Doom brawl at WW3 96 (I think).

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

ChampRamp posted:

What's the general opinion of that promo here?

Of the promo itself, or of its purpose? I guess it's alright as a promo, I've heard better, I've heard much worse. It's purpose was asinine.

Edit - It's probably hard for me to be unbiased about it since I think Russo's a piece of poo poo, though.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

If you can get it cheap enough, I'd recommend Bischoff's book as long as you take all of it with a HUGE grain of salt. It's interesting to see his perspective and some of his philosophy's do make some sense (i.e. We can't do what WWF does as well as they do, so we have to be different from them and go after a different market). On the other hand, he's a complete oval office and there's a ton of bullshit in there. He glosses over a lot of things and outright ignores others, but there is some interesting stuff in there.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

MIKE AWESOME IS A JUDAS AND ITS A SHAME HE DID NOT SUCCEED IN BREAKING HIS OWN NECK

Second only to "Wrestling has consumed Chris Benoit's life!" in terms of retrospectively uncomfortable commentary.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

billy cuts posted:

12/3/99 Salina, KS

Curt Hennig def. Disco Inferno
Evan Karagias def. The Maestro
Barbarian def. Prince Iaukea
Jushin Thunder Liger def. Psychosis
Jeff Jarrett def. Dustin Rhodes
Creative Control def. Hacksaw Jim Duggan & Chavo
Chris Benoit def. Ric Flair
Bret Hart def. Sting

Holy poo poo, I would have loved this.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

I posted:

Did Deano legitimately screw up with that one?

Yep. Dean would regularly go for a breather outside at the time and he forgot the silly stip for a moment.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

It wasn't just Abbott. Russo completely tanked their buyrates, booked two of their top stars in angles that injured them severely plus booked an angle that put their new signing Jarrett out for the Souled Out PPV. Abbott was just the straw that broke the camel's back. He had to go and the booking committee headed by Sullivan was their only solution. It was idiotic to release the four guys on top of that when they easily could have said "Stop being a child murdering baby, you stole the man's wife and he's willing to give you the title, we're not releasing you."

Instead they released them.

Didn't all that become moot when Mike Graham threatened to cut up one of them if they hosed up his situation in the company though? As I recall, they let them all go without fuss to avoid being sued for having a person in some position of authority threatening to murder talent.

Man, gently caress Mike Graham. Yeah, we all get a laugh when he says "broke 1,000 guitars, never drew a dime" about Jarrett, but who the gently caress ever paid money to see Mike Graham wrestle?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

Here's Mikey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FxAE8dnAuE

Is Mike Graham the one guy in the entire industry who didn't know that Kevin Sullivan booked his own divorce? gently caress, what a piece of poo poo.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Wendell posted:

I liked Flair's book a lot, especially his story about Dusty and Harley Race drunkenly chasing him in a car while shooting at him.

I think it was Austin's book that I read the first few pages of but couldn't continue because it was so poorly written.

And Regal's book is fantastic for his story of addiction. It was interesting to see the shame he felt over that "stiff" Goldberg match that everyone used to praise on the internet.

Never read Austin's book, but Rock's was the worst I ever read. It's ok for a while, but soon starts divvying up the book, half in normal speak and half in bolded third-person Rock speak. So loving annoying.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

thefncrow posted:

If I'm not misremembering, The Death of WCW had a bit in there where they mentioned that late in the company's lifespan, someone came in at some point to do an audit of WCW's books and do some cost-cutting. The auditor found that they had a bunch of wrestlers under contract that they weren't using and hadn't used in months if not years and were just being paid to sit at home. The really crazy part, though, was that they never bothered to record that these guys had been sent home, and as a result they'd been buying them plane tickets to all the shows and sending them out. I believe the losses from these extra plane tickets added up to millions of dollars in just outright wasted money.

The guys who weren't really supposed to show up but had gotten plane tickets anyway would just go and cancel the tickets and pocket the money, so they weren't about to complain since it was basically free money.

I'm not sure if this happened again later in the company, but I think this was mostly an issue in the earlier 90's. Bischoff talks in his book about, when he was just an announcer, a WCW employee telling him how to change your flight plans to get a new plane ticket and then get a cash refund on the original ticket since they wouldn't bother to cancel it. He doesn't name them specifically, but I believe Cornette said it was Paul Heyman.

Anyway, Bischoff says in his book that once he had power he changed the travel policy so that you couldn't do that anymore. But I don't know if that became an issue again after Bischoff was no longer in charge (or if he just did nothing about it and is full of poo poo in his book).

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

thefncrow posted:

The "selling the ticket back" thing might have been cross-pollinated from that incident, but the buying loads of airline tickets was something that was definitely happening near the end of the company. I went back to my copy of the book and found it. The book starts talking about the time when Bill Busch was in charge of the company. One of his first moves was to grant Benoit/Malenko/Guerrero/Saturn their unconditional releases, so that's the rough timeframe on this. From the book:

Ahhh, I was confusing related but separate issues. What a hosed up company. So screwy on so many levels.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Please continue to give updates. I am very interested in digest versions of Russo bullshit. I can't really stand to read/watch it myself.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

He was revealed to be Hogan's mole in the Dungeon of Doom and then showed up as the Booty Man.

It isn't so much that it made little sense; it made no sense.

Wow, I had no idea about this. I loving hate when logic just gets thrown out the window for some stupid twist.

The Dungeon of Doom didn't even exist when Brutus turned on Hogan. Beefcake clubbed Hogan in the knee, started the "Three Faces of Fear" with Sullivan and Earthquake, and went on to fight Hogan in a bunch of lovely matches. The TFOF would eventually evolve into the DOD.

So Hogan had Brutus turn on him so he could infiltrate an organization that wouldn't exist until Beefcake helped create it. And were the Hogan/Beefcake matches works then (in kayfabe, I mean)? Or was Beefcake just too stupid to realize that Hogan's plan involved an awful lot of Hogan beating the poo poo out of him? Did Beefcake fake clubbing Hogan in the knee?

:psyduck:

Heenan was right, Hogan was the heel all along.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Found this in the related links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhwHPiOKQyI&feature=fvwrel

:stare:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Perigryn posted:

Ah yes. "Darkside/Giant Killer" Hogan"...

Really blew my mind. I remembered him doing this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9_QsD4ehdM - but I'd never seen the mask and sword before. It's so absurd.

"Well, I'm fighting guys who look like they came out of the lamest Dungeons and Dragons game ever. When in Rome..."

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What about the most recent molestation of ECW's corpse that Shane Douglas put on about a month ago?

Was that a PPV?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Blckdrgn posted:

But then, it happened. For some ungodly reason sting turned and joined nWo, and that was the exact moment I stopped watching WCW and went to WWF for a few months before giving up wrestling all-together. Something about seeing my favorite guy join the heels like that turned me off entirely.

To be fair, Sting joined the face (or at least tweener) version of nWo, the Wolfpac. I don't think he ever really turned heel for it. More that Nash and Konnan did a half-assed face turn.

But you're absolutely right. I think a number of people have pointed out in this thread that Sting joining the nWo was one of the biggest "gently caress this company" moments for them. I know it was for me.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

In Californication David Duchovney plays a novelist sex addict.

Yes, but he became a sex addict after years of hanging out on train tracks and reading erotic letters with his dog.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Mr_Zombie posted:

These two things had me laughing like an idiot.

Why does Hogan act like an Alzhiemer's patient at the start of that bit?

"THERE'S NO HULKAMANIACS HERE!" being his first reaction just kills me.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

To add one more visual similarity, I always noticed that Goldberg and Austin both wore boots that were noticeably shorter than most guy's boots. Most wrestler boots come to somewhere mid-calf, their's stopped short of the calf.

Slap some pouches on him and Goldberg looks like a Rob Liefeld drawing of Austin, right down to the weird little feet.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Where does Bischoff's alleged quote come in, then? I'm baffled.

Bischoff gives his side of the story at 15 minutes in here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdaMiKYMdM

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I would sincerely take anything Bischoff says with a grain of salt, but I guess that's about as close as we're going to get.

Oh absolutely. And what even if it's true, his story doesn't necessarily preclude the "saw nothing in him" theory, because if he did see something in him he would have tried to work with him instead of saying "well gently caress this guy, he's fired."

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I don't think it's possible to miss the point more than they did with Warrior. Hey, it's this intense guy who got over by running to the ring, being insane and smashing the poo poo out of heels everyone hated. So let's have him cut half hour promos and never fight anyone.

Also, he's magic now for some reason.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Maybe I'm just being a stick in the mud here, but Arachnaman never appeared for any WCW that Time Warner owned. Years before the company was sold.

Or was that also :thejoke:?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Flair's WCW theme that he came back to WWE with in 2002 was stock - Jim Johnston made his own version of the song so that WWE didn't have to license the stock version.

Actually, Flair's theme is public domain. I'm pretty sure Johnston (or whoever else made the decision) just added the "WOOOOO!" at the start because he puts a hook or sound effect at the start of every song.

EDIT - Though now that I think about it, I'm not sure exactly how that works. Maybe it being public domain just means the stock music company was free to make their version? WWE's version always just sounded like it was the original song edited so it kicked in quicker.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 3, 2013

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

The Total Package rebirth is also just a more convoluted rip off of Luger's debut as the Narcissist in WWF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEB38XueRA

Bobby losing his goddamn mind is so much more entertaining than Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Don't forget, Vince is also a HUGE boxing fan.

He's also a better boxing commentator than a wrestling commentator.

"WHADDAMANEUVER!!!!"

"...it's called a punch, Vince."