Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MassRayPer posted:

Awesome tidbits from the most recent Observer back issue:

Rene Dupree stole Ric Flair's puppy! That fiend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CubanMissile posted:

It all seemed pretty lowbrow and lacked the whimsy and drama WCW had. WCW vs. nWo on N64 was a pretty big deal to us as well.

I will answer that with my kazoo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jeffersonlives posted:

Changing that isn't going to drive everyone away; nobody watches RAW to see Cena wrestle Alberto Del Rio in a bad match that mostly consists of a commercial and has a non-finish. And now that match, which in theory could be a good and fresh money program, has already happened and wasn't any good.

This is one thing that I disagree with. I really don't see what the big deal about showing Cena/Del Rio was. There's a big difference between a 5-minute free TV match with a cheap finish and 20+ minute main event on PPV, and I think any fan who orders PPVs understands that. If/when Cena and Del Rio have a headline feud, people aren't going to be looking back and going 'Oh, but they wrestled on RAW that one time', they'll be thinking 'this is a fresh PPV main event'.

The fact Del Rio looked like a chump in that RAW match is bad booking, but unrelated to the actual idea of having the match.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Captain Charisma posted:

Clearly not, as PPV buyrates have crashed.

Yes, and we all know buyrates are exclusively dependent on just one factor and have nothing to do with things like bad storylines, the rise of MMA or failure to build new stars.

And let's not forget WWE's propensity to rewrite history. If Cena/Del Rio were to feud in say, a year's time, they easily could and probably would sell it as a first time match-up and pretend that RAW never happened. It's not like the majority of the audience would remember. After all, this is the first Undertaker/Triple H match at Wrestlemania!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

I would quite like to see Cena vs Big Show myself, as I don't think that Cena could AA the Big Show... and if he could, well he certainly couldn't put him in the STF, so they could make the rematch a submission match. Money to be made there.

Cena FU'd the Big Show at Wrestlemania XX! :eng101:

It was before he got the STF though so there's something new I guess.

e: I do agree that matches aren't special so much these days, but I think that comes down to the quality of the writing more than anything else. For a good example, Christian and Del Rio have met twice in recent weeks but Christian's wins mean a PPV title match between the two would be interesting. For a bad example, Cena/Miz.

Even the dullest match on paper can be special if the storyline's written well,

Rarity fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 3, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sue Denim posted:

if I want to see a match that is long enough to catch steam and have a couple of acts so to speak I'm only going to find this consistently on WWE PPV's.

But free TV shouldn't just be 5-minute long matches with cheap finishes. We shouldn't be getting PPV main-event calibre matches every week on RAW but there's no reason we can't get a couple of matches that have a decent length of time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Uncensored 2000 was WCWs worst PPV beyond a shadow of a doubt. There's not one remotely passible match on the card.

Someone's forgetting about New Blood Rising

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Listen, all you guys do in this thread is bash WCW but if it weren't for Van Hammer and the Kiss Demon :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Toffile posted:

You forgot Dean Malenkoooo.

We wouldn't have any of Reed Flair's contributions to the business like