Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Skinty McEdger posted:

The best part of darkside hogan is the promo where him and Savage are hanging about on Venice beach with a couple of homeless people. It's one of the most surreal segments I've ever seen, though I'm sad to say I can't seem to find it on youtube anymore.
Sorry about replying to a post from a couple of weeks back, but I haven't been checking this thread in a while and I have to say this promo was goddamn amazing. The segment opened with some local weirdo/street musician (who was wearing a turban, a white robe and roller skates) strumming on a guitar and singing something like "Hogan's back at Venice Beach, HE IS ON THE DARK SIDE! If you step into his world, YOU MAY NOT LEAVE ALIVE!"

I swear I'm not making this poo poo up. I had that segment, along with a few other Darkside of Hulkamania promos and other WCW 1995 greatness, uploaded on my old youtube account many years ago but it got taken down. Unfortunately I no longer have any of that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

bobkatt013 posted:

Lets not forget that WWE had Issac Hayes sing Chocolate Salty Balls at WM 15 weekend.
Not the same performance (this is from Glastonbury 2002) but whatever, it's Isaac Hayes singing Chocolate Salty Balls live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM9rnqdAx00

And yeah, that South Park album owned bones. I accidentally bought the censored version because I was a dumb kid, but that was only a problem with a couple of songs like the Ozzy/DMX/Ol' Dirty Bastard/Crystal Method collaboration. Here's the song, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICR9EE4JTYs

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

We also had what appeared to be a prototype Hulk Hogan raft.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Just noticed "The Music of WCW" is on Spotify. Obviously none of the production tracks are on there, and for some reason they didn't include Disco Inferno's theme (Boogie Knights made it, though, along with two other Alex Wright themes!) but it does have Rap Is Crap, the Wolfpac theme and AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES :byodood:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm watching the first episode of Thunder on the Network. Is this show supposed to feel like it lasts 80 hours?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The GWAR song on that soundtrack was obviously superior (albeit not written for the film) and WCW should've paid to get GWAR instead of Megadeth :black101:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

At least they had the FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE MEXICAN HARDCORE MATCH against La Parka and Silver King at one point, that was pretty fun. Well, it would've been, if the commentators hadn't been making GBS threads all over the match while probably drunk.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

It's weird how even though he was supposed to be a really popular rapper in the 90s with his own giant record company and all that poo poo, I've never heard of Master P outside of his WCW stint and that song he did for the South Park soundtrack album in 1998.

These days I'd chalk that up to the fact I'm old and out of touch, but back in the mid to late 90s I used to watch hours of MTV pretty much every day and had several friends who were really into rap so I was familiar with the big names, but I don't remember anyone ever mentioning Master P even in passing. Maybe he just wasn't that well known in Europe?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I looked up some of his stuff and it seems he just wasn't popular in Europe, none of his best-known songs or albums charted over here. Certainly not in my remote neck of the woods. :finland:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Low Desert Punk posted:

i was getting gas the other day and Scott Steiner was on the next pump over
talk about Big Poppa Pump

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

NikkolasKing posted:

Also has anyone in here discussed the best WCW entrance music?
Yes, the American Males theme song has been brought up several times. :v:

Seriously though, I always really liked the Four Horsemen theme. Then there's a lot of fun silly stuff like the Disco Inferno, 3 Count and West Texas Rednecks themes, and some of the production library tracks like DDP's and Jericho's themes were pretty enjoyable as well despite being obvious ripoffs of actual songs.

edit: oh poo poo I forgot the loving Wolfpac, I might wind up in a body bag

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 12, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

He never did get upgraded to Golden King even though I'm sure he won 12 more matches at some point.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

shiksa posted:

please tell me wwe tried to sue over Scott hall's hair or like the concept of using a toothpick
You know it!

quote:

The WWF contends in the lawsuit, "WCW thereafter began systematically copying virtually everything done by the WWF, raiding its talent, pawning off the WWF's reputation, and infringing Titan's rights." The suit establishes that Hall and Nash previously worked for WCW under different and "relatively obscure" personas, but their contracts were not renewed in May 1992 and June 1993 respectively.

The WWF said upon their hiring of Hall they developed a "unique name, persona, and trade dress" including a Hispanic accent, slicked back hair in a ponytail with a curl in the front, a toothpick in his mouth, multiple chains around his neck, razor blade jewelry or razor blade designs on his clothing, wrestling shorts, a vest, wrestling boots, and elbow and knee pads." The WWF says the persona of Diesel included "a goatee-style beard and moustache, black leather pants, a black leather vest decorated with silver studs and tassels, a black low-cut tank-top shirt, a black fingerless glove on the right hand, black elbow pads, black wrist bands and sunglasses, and black leather boots."

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDirtsheets/comments/2fu99a/titan_sues_wcw_over_use_of_hall_and_nash_torch_394/

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

pathetic little tramp posted:

'list of all the dumbest poo poo WCW has ever done'
I immediately pictured the list looking like this but even longer:

Number three: Judy Bagwell on a pole

Number four: Black Scorpion

Number five: Judy Bagwell on a forklift

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Nystral posted:

Please explain what you mean.
Used games from Japan are often in really, really good condition. I have some boxed Super Famicom games and they look like they've been hermetically sealed for the last 25 years.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't the the "ROCK BOTTOM IN THE DOG POOP" match going on in WWF around the same time?
It wasn't a match, just a segment on Smackdown in the build to a match between The Rock and the British Bulldog at No Mercy 1999. The Rock had Mankind bring out a tray of dog poop and then hit Bulldog with the Rock Bottom on the dog poop. The dog poop. The dog poop.

There was also the Kennel from Hell match a couple of months before this, but that only involved poop because 1) the match itself was poo poo and 2) the "ferocious attack dogs" at ringside kept doing their business all over the place while the match was going on.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 13, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Triple H sees that tweet, remembers the logo existed and immediately commissions a new line of Four Horsemen merchandise.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Opened the stream just in time for Hugh Morrus to reveal his real name of Hugh G. Rection. Perfect.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

surely they should have realised that
This is WCW we're talking about here.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

NikkolasKing posted:

I can't fathom what he was thinking.
I'm assuming "gently caress the story! The Hulkster's gotta go over, brother!"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Is that what Kevin Sullivan used to shave off Hogan's mustache

edit: err, what I meant to say was

MassRafTer posted:

If Only The Hulk Hogan Twin Track Shaving Kit Could Have Cut Down On WCW's Losses

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 6, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The American Dream posted:

In Jericho’s first book he mentions hearing his music during basketball highlights either on cnn or nba on tnt.

He later found out his song was called basketball highlights #10 or something. So his music was probably owned by turner and now AT&T I guess.
Basketball Highlights was the song he used before the Even Flow ripoff, which is called "One Crazed Anarchist". Fozzy later recorded a song with that name, but it doesn't have anything with to do with the old theme song because Fozzy sucks.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Cheese Thief posted:

OH YEA, I thought that was real, I remember Rick Steiner doing the bulldog move off the top turnbuckle on Buff very distinctly, I know they played it up but that looked really real.
That was real. Buff had multiple damaged vertebrae and suffered spinal shock, and it could've been a lot worse. The concern from the announcers is genuine because they think they just saw a man die in the ring.

The fake injury angle came a few months later, after Buff had recovered.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 22, 2021

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Goldberg's theme was originally Pat Tanaka's, wasn't it?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Davros1 posted:

Like, he started using Gangrel's finisher.
To be fair, the Impaler owns and more people should use it

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

stab posted:

Is that the game with the incredibly ultra hosed up suicide ending?
I don't know what happens in the GBA game, but that particular ending is in Super Fire Pro Special on the Super Famicom.

The Super Famicom also had a couple of officially licensed AJW/JWP Fire Pro games. I've played a bit of Queen's Special and it's pretty great.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Davros1 posted:

The PS1 game, WCW vs The World (although he was renamed "Bear Breath")
He's also in Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, using his real name and likeness because VPW2 had the All Japan license.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Why did Charles Robinson have a PPV match with Randy Savage's girlfriend?

...oh, right, WCW 1999.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Some of the grunge knockoffs are also stock music. Jimmy Hart did DDP's and Raven's themes, but Jericho's Even Flow ripoff is from the AirCraft Music Library's ACL063 Grunge City compilation of production tracks.

Also, Raven should've had the Even Flow ripoff because his finisher was called the Even Flow DDT. :colbert:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The American Dream posted:

I believe Chris jerichos music was owned by Turner Sports. He heard it watching basketball highlights. He found out it was called basketball highlights #10 or something.
What Jericho called "Basketball Highlights #12" was this theme, an instrumental version of "All the Days" by Mammoth (called The Days of My Life in the production library, apparently):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I3IwbaUPK8

Jericho called his next theme "the slightly less wimpy Basketball Highlights #17", which was the Pearl Jam knockoff whose actual title was "One Crazed Anarchist". As it happens, Fozzy later recorded a song by that name, but it has nothing to do with the old theme song because Fozzy sucks.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Defiance Industries posted:

The Yakuza paid that nine-year-old to break his arm.
Based on what i've learned about the yakuza from the documentary series "Like a Dragon", this seems like something they might do.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Well the World Tour and Revenge fictional wrestlers were actual real Japanese wrestlers in the original Japanese game so the port really didn't do much to change that besides doing some visual changes (cause why not use existing work).
So the way these N64 releases happened was that the western version of World Tour came first and was followed a few months later by the Japan-exclusive Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 (which used an updated version of the engine and played more like Revenge despite looking exactly like World Tour) and then Revenge.

Revenge never had an "original" Japanese version, and Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 kept the WCW license from World Tour but had no licensed Japanese wrestlers, just legally distinct (the best kind of distinct) versions with slightly changed names and looks. Licensed puro guys wouldn't happen until Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, which came after WM2000, was officially licensed by AJPW and also featured everyone else from all other promotions, just with slightly changed appearances and names like all the Japanese wrestlers in World Tour and VPW64.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 26, 2023

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Mr Hootington posted:

Did he not know? He looked like he didn't know.
Well, he is known for that sort of thing...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

syzpid posted:

Pretty much this, it was supposed to be a sub 10 minute match to keep the crowd warm heading into the main event. Instead they put out an absolute banger of a match which was the match of the night. The Cena/RVD match was great, but a lot of that was the crowd absolutely loathing Cena.
The Cena/RVD match was the following year. The main event of ONS 2005 was the Dudleys vs. Dreamer & Sandman.

e: at ONS 2006, Tanaka had a match with Balls Mahoney. Presumably, WWE liked that one better because it wasn't very good.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 26, 2023

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

That guy is a boss fight in the Game Boy RoboCop game. You're in first person and Instead of shooting him in the dick through the lady's dress, you have to wait until he pokes his head out from behind her, at which point you can shoot him. Repeat a bunch of times because he has a lot of health. Don't hit the lady by accident, because then you lose health.

Video games are cool.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i've heard he starts the semaster off very hard to purposefully chase off anyone not serious in roman history then lightens up once the students only there for robocop drop out
I don't know about Weller, but Greg Graffin apparently does this when he teaches natural science courses. Go super hard for the first couple of weeks to weed out the people only there to see the guy from Bad Religion, then chill after all those guys have dropped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

To be fair, nobody seems to have enjoyed making RoboCop 2 either.