Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

prozakk2010 posted:

I'm pretty sure that I have repressed this memory of Scott Hall turing on Kevin Nash. I watched this youtube video from the Nitro the night after the PPV but it never actually explains why Hall turned on Nash. Is this the angle that eventually lead to the NWO Wolfpack?

I think both Hall and Nash started the Wolfpac and it was earlier than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What I found particularly highbrow and whimsical was Mike Awesome's 'Fat Chick Thrilla' gimmick.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

LordPants posted:

It's so odd watching Raven go from a main event star in ECW to a midcard goon in WCW. I guess it is like watching Daniel Bryan in WWE. :)

You should watch his WWE run next, where he went from midcard goon to bottom-of-the-card-jobbing-on-Heat goon, just to complete the Rise and Fall of Raven.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pneub posted:

I think you're over-thinking it.

No, he's right. In ECW he was a big fish, but WCW was a loving ocean by comparison.

No one came out of ECW as a ready-made main-eventer, because ECW was rightly considered to be small potatoes compared to WCW and WWE. People like to refer to these companies as the "Big 3", but really they were more the "Big 2.5".

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

I never did any silly renaming in Revenge or No Mercy, I must not have been playing the right way. I was always OCD about trying to keep everyone costumes up to date though, changing them every single RAW and Smackdown.

Haha, I do the exact opposite. Right now everyone in SvR2011 has pink tights/trunks because it's Pride Week in the WWE.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Ever play Def Jam Vendetta? It uses the AKI engine, and is a pretty decent Wrestling game for the PS2/Gamecube era. The engine still holds up, but the roster makes it unplayable.

You are so wrong. Any game that allows you to use L'il Kim to beat the everliving poo poo out of Henry Rollins is the opposite of unplayable. I'm dying for another one of these, and not that Def Jam Icon horseshit.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If I had to pick an announcer I hate more than Cole, Zbysko and Madden would be right up there. I mean, at least you know Cole is playing a character - what's your excuse Madden?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

What did he do in cruiser matches? I can't remember.

Although I will never forget FACE FULL OF STUFF!! FACE FULL OF STUFF!!

Basically what Cole does, kayfabe, with women's matches. Calls the bare minimum of the match while subtly burying it. You can certainly not fault him for not being able to make a silk purse out of the sow's ear that was WCW at the time, but he was also very terrible at what he did do.

Really glad I missed the Ed Ferrera era of TNA, though. Holy poo poo I despised that guy.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Nirvana? Meh
Jimmy Hart? ROCK GOD

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

It seems like a fake. The person has no history, misspellings and no idea why they would have it.

It sort of looks like it's in one of those storage lockers you see on Auction Hunters or Storage Wars. Maybe it's been locked up for years in some crew member's storage unit and some enterprising dude bought the locker and is like wtf.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

1st AD posted:

This is the one thing I hated about WCW even at it's height of popularity - they'd use so much pyro that by the end of the night there was a thick haze in the arena.

In all fairness, this haze is why we all don't have eye-aids from Warrior's run there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm just realizing I got duped by this too, but how on earth were we ever fooled into thinking Nash was Sting, considering that Nash is like a foot taller than him?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

The greatest will always be someone throwing a baby stroller into the ring.

Think about that. They brought a baby with them in a baby stroller to ring side seats for WCW and when the nWo come out (It might have even been when they formed), someone got so mad they tossed the baby stroller in the ring.

At least they took the baby out.

A real fan wouldn't have taken the baby out.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Beverly Brothers were worse than anyone. They were McGillitunga with lovely capes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Was Sickboy the guy with the eyepatch?

No, I think Scotty Riggs had an eyepatch. I don't remember a thing about Sickboy past his name.

e: wow, apparently Scott Vick (Sickboy) was supposed to be involved in the Katie Vick angle! Who knew?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Vick

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wasn't Stevie Richards part of the Flock too? I don't think he ever wrestled but he always seemed to be around until he bolted for WWE.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Not by a ton mind you, but a bit of one. I feel like Goldberg was kind of a one in a million thing (or two, if you count Lesnar who was probably the closest thing) in terms of not only them giving the guy that monster push, but also the crowd buying it and actually FEEDING it. Goldberg was a perfect storm.

But there was really nothing special about Goldberg in particular that that push couldn't have worked on. Sure, it was probably better to do that with a newer guy than someone established (though I think it could've worked either way, with a throwaway commentary line like "this guy sure has increased his focus over the last few months") but you could slot almost anyone that was muscular and biggish to do that role. The crowd got into it because the writing and the push were executed well, not because Goldberg had any kind of natural charisma, wrestling talent, or physique.

For what the Goldberg character became, Benoit would've worked just fine as a guy who only has to yell "You're Next" every so often and do three moves of doom. Benoit would've made those three moves look like a million bucks too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hirams Bitch posted:

Goldberg had massive amounts of physical charisma. He had a great look, he looked stronger and more athletic than everyone else.

If you're a professional wrestler of a certain size, is it really so much of a stretch to play 'angry, screaming, incoherent maniac'? I mean, strip away the pyro and the camera following him from the dressing room and you've basically got Ezekiel Jackson. I'm not saying he didn't play that role to the hilt, but is it really something that many big guys couldn't have played? I'm not sure. He looked stronger because he was booked stronger (as opposed to being legitimately stronger and more athletic than most guys in the way that Lesnar and Vader were).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So it comes down to mannerisms and move execution. And you don't think that a Chris Benoit could've and would've played that role the same or better?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

El Duke posted:

Goldberg looked like a star the minute he walked out of the dressing room. Benoit didn't and never would. He had to get over almost exclusively on in-ring talent.

I just think that so much of that was presentation. I'll allow that Goldberg's size was definitely a factor, but even if you look at old footage of Warrior from the Blade Runner/Dingo days, there's really no indication that he'd be this intense rambling monster so without seeing them inhabit that 'Goldberg' role, it's hard to say what would've clicked and what wouldn't have. Heck, even Angle portrayed an intense, dominant, believably legit competitor towards the end of his WWE run and he isn't much bigger than Benoit.

Goldberg had a mix of a few elements that worked, but I'm not convinced that those elements or even the combination thereof were exclusive to Bill Goldberg. It's probably a misstep on my part to say that he doesn't have natural physical charisma but I don't think it's unique by any means.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It's not unique but Benoit is a TERRIBLE comparison. Lesnar and Sheamus are the two dudes I can think of since then that theoretically could've gotten a "Goldberg push", especially Lesnar. Also Angle was booked as a beastly wrestler, not a monster. That's the difference.

Benoit isn't a terrible comparison because he was more of a monster IRL than anyone in wrestling before or since. Aha! Check and mate, FOOCHS.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's between Norman Smiley and La Parka. Everyone else eats all the fucks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

I dunno, I think Goldberg is a very rare case of a "juggernaut" face working really well- he works on a level that, say, Randy Orton doesn't (or even Triple H, who I think still works best as a heel.) Normally it's no fun if it's obvious that one guy in the ring stands no chance, but Goldberg was basically Godzilla- the spectacle was seeing him wreck poo poo.

It worked with Warrior too. Basically as long as you can keep the match short so no intensity is lost, it's very effective. It just all falls apart when the match is longer than five minutes or so, because the type of guy that'd work this style is almost never the guy who can pull off a marathon match.

It's entirely possible that I'm remembering Benoit as being bigger than he was because he was so ripped. In hindsight, he and Eddie weren't big at all compared to Goldberg/Lesnar/etc. but he always seemed like he could hold his own against those guys.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

savinhill posted:

drat, Ahmed Johnson got so fat before he went to WCW that I didn't even realize that he was Big T until reading this forum 12 years later and I used to watch both Nitro and Raw just about every week during the Monday Night Wars.

I don't remember him being *that* fat, like unrecognizably so. He was always a pretty big dude. Certainly nothing like that 4x4 guy that was in the No Limit Soldiers, who legit scared the poo poo out of me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

savinhill posted:

Compare his gut from when he was in WWF to when he was in WCW.

Okay, he's a *bit* bigger but not exactly going from Evan Bourne to Viscera. You can certainly recognize him in both.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Face full of stuff!! FACE FULL OF STUFF!!

No joke, this line almost made me quit watching wrestling.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I never learned Elix wasn't a CFL player until Lance's shoot from early 2011. It was still real to me, dammit. :smith:
I just learned that from your post and I am gutted :(

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I loved that DDP/Taker storyline, for better or worse. Such a cool use of DDP.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

RoleModel posted:

I still can't get it. DDP has his own hot wife and he's stalking that...thing? Sara Taker reminds me of my 10th grade English teacher.

Wasn't the impetus that he was just trying to get under Undertaker's skin and put him at a disadvantage (worst plan ever, for how it turned out)? I dunno, I thought it was an interesting and temporary wrinkle to DDP's character because I always saw him as being pretty smarmy. I'd neither poo poo on this nor Dude Love, who also subverted everything people liked about Cactus/Mankind.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wasn't WCW using the red logo for a while before WWF bought them? I could've sworn I saw the red logo on the old WCW website.

e: apparently not.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 15, 2011

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Or Judy Bagwell for that matter.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I hope TNA folds one day and Jarrett comes back to WWE with a combination of all his old gimmicks, Taker style. Ain't I great, slapnuts?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Psychlone posted:

WWE Vintage had some nice Battlebowl 1992 tag matches today. Battlebowl was where you had random tag teams, the winners moving on into a battle royal at the end of the card. So far I've watched:

- Van Hammer and Dan Spivey vs. Johnny B. Badd and Cactus Jack
- Big Van Vader and Dustin Rhodes vs. Kensuke Sasaki and the Barbarian
- Barry Windham and the Great Muta vs. Brian Pillman and 2 Cold Scorpio
- Sting and Steve Williams vs. Jushin Liger and Erik Watts

All pretty entertaining matches. The WWE should bring this concept back.

I've always loved the Battlebowl concept and this would be a poo poo-hot way to merge the brands if they ever decided to do that. It'd be so easy to reboot the company with this because you can build in feuds among partners and create a bunch of new teams while you're at it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sue Denim posted:

I remember hearing somewhere Tony Schivaonie legitimately disliked one of his co-hosts, but I can't remember which one. Any ideas? I seem to remember it was Tenay but I can't be sure.

Maybe Zbysko? Or Madden? Both would be good candidates to be hated.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That makes sense too. WCW Heenan wasn't anything like WWF Heenan. Bobby was phoning it in a bit in his time there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Astro7x posted:

That's all stables pretty much did was change the attire the wrestler was wearing.

That's all it took to be in a WCW stable! What's that? You're in the Misfits In Action? Time for some camo! What's that? You're in the flock? Time for jorts and bad tattoos!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Moose Bigelow posted:

I hope that in one of these universes they had used Leapin' Lanny Poffo to manage Meng in his new gimmick of Haiku Haku.

I was once a King
And was once an Islander
Now my Face breeds Fear

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Wrestling needs more of that sort of indefensibly silly gimmickry, and I'm being completely serious.

Agreed. How many of us would've gotten into wrestling as kids (assuming that's when you did) without characters like Hacksaw, Koko, Junkyard Dog, George Steele, etc.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Little Miss RKO posted:

I dream of one day debuting as a crazy cat lady in the WWE. My name will be Kitty, and I'll carry a different cat with me every show. Complete with a different story of how I acquired said cat 10 minutes ago.

This should've been Jillian Hall's gimmick, but nooooooo facial parasite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Well, the story is that Hulk Hogan paid off Nick Patrick to intentionally count normal to make it look like he legitimately beat Sting without shenanigans, before Bret Hart would come out. If that were true, he made Hart look like a total fool for coming in and saying there weren't going to be any screwjobs while he were around.

Whether or not this actually happened (I believe it did), it certainly came across this way when it aired.