Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Grendels Dad posted:

I like how the icebergs (?) look like the WWE scratch logo upside down.

Oh my god, Miz killed WCW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DoctorDelaware posted:

Heyman was at his best when he didn't have an agenda--he was kind of hard to listen to at the Survivor Series where the Invasion angle wrapped up, but usually he was solid.

Whaaaat? Heyman's gloating over the Fall of the House of Vince was one of the best parts of that match. That level of direct antagonism and doomsaying is what the entire invasion should have been about, especially after ECW joined in.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Luigi Thirty posted:

DDP/Raven was fantastic. Why the hell would they follow that with a no-DQ match between Sting and Randy Savage!?

I take it by the tone of this question that the match was awful because in theory Sting vs Randy Savage should be great.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Luigi Thirty posted:

DDP/Raven was an amazing hardcore match where they destroyed the whole Spring Stampede set, DDP beat up the whole Flock and then got owned and lost the belt.

Sting/Savage was a typical overbooked WCW main event that was no DQ because Sting is really stupid as always and thus he lost the belt when the NWO kicked his rear end and also kicked each other's asses because Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan forever.

Yep, that's WCW circa 1998 alright.

Man did they drive Sting strait into the loving ground that year. They're lucky Goldberg was such a money printing machine or their doom would have started a lot sooner.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

One the one hand, just at first blush it seems kind of wrong for someone to be like "Yeah, I know I had an aneurysm, but I'd still like to be able to sue you if my wrestling after having it creates some kind of complication, and if you don't like it you can pay me to do nothing."

On the other hand since this is WCW and Alex Wright was a really cool dude I'm going to assume I'm just missing something obvious that makes Team Turner in the wrong rather than my favorite German.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think Souled Out could have worked if they didn't have Nick Patrick join the group. It should have been the nWo going in overconfident but actually taking some losses, maybe Hogan only barely manages to retain, give the audience some hope before crushing them again at Slamboree or GAB or something.

On paper at least that's exactly what happened. The NWO did win some matches, but other than Bagwell going over his old tag partner they were meaningless squashes. On the WCW side Eddy and the Steiners beat the Outsiders and Syxx for the US and Tag belts, DDP became the first guy approached by the NWO to turn them down and left through the crowd to a massive ovation, Mongo helped Jarret get a win to show he wasn't caving to NWO intimidation, and Giant was booked as if he utterly outclassed Hogan it took the entire NWO plus Bischoff as the heel authority figure to stop him from winning. Commentary also mentioned Randy Savage being blackballed by the NWO several times to explain his absence. Also lots of Sting chants, and Bischoff's big "WELL YOU'RE NOT GONNA GET STING!" to close the show.

Obviously the show itself was a train wreck at every step, most of the commentary AND in-ring work was awful, and as you said the heel referee was the main culprit in ruining everything. But if you just look at the match results it seems like they were trying to do exactly what you're saying and set up a slew of anti-NWO WCW heroes for everyone to cheer for.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DynamiteKidd posted:

The whole concept of the heel stable having a bent ref in their pocket only works if the heels aren't supposed to be cool or threatening, which is everything the nWo was supposed to be. Yoy have Hulk Hogan and the Outsiders leading this group and they have to be handed wins by a crooked official -- what's scary about the nWo after that happens?

Wasn't the entire crux of The Rock and Chris Jericho during their heel runs that they were among the best wrestlers in the company and could easily win matches (unless they were taking on the best of the best, such as Stone Cold or Undertaker) clean but preferred to cheat, walk out on opponents, and do other dastardly heel things out of laziness, arrogance or greed?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Alain Post posted:

At least two of the babyfaces would join the hijackers as a swerve.

ISIS is really just the NWO when you get right down to it. We just need to know who the Third Man is.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

1st AD posted:

I don't want to poo poo up the WWE threads with my bitching, but what exactly is the point of signing Sting and then having him job at every PPV? I thought the idea was to throw him into the geriatric wrestlers club and have him work the WWE Masters Tour, not have him put over much younger guys who are capable of working better matches.

Really I'm just a dumb mark for Sting :smith:

Also, a guy his age shouldn't be taking a turnbuckle power bomb bump.

I'm among the biggest and dumbest of Sting marks, but asking "why did they hire this old guy just to have him lose to these young guys," seems a little wrong-headed, especially here in the WCW thread of all places.

That being said, Triple H beating Sting at last Mania was the dumbest god drat thing if they were always going to give him a title shot this year against the Authority's golden boy. He should be 1-1 right now instead of 0-2.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Benne posted:

Is Lex Luger still in a wheelchair? I was legit disappointed he didn't show up at Mania to help Sting and then immediately turn on him

No, we went over this, after HBK came as Hunter's Final Trump Card and got him back the Sledgehammer, it should have been Flair as his equivalent who came down to give Sting the bat, then betrayed him after they were done with the Break The Hammer sequence.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MassRafTer posted:

I guess if you like more of the same repetitive nonsense and have too much pent up hatred for Big Wood.

I mainly think its a good promo because of the passion involved in the delivery and the vivid picture Russo paints of the storyline. When he promises Hogan will never return to WCW "or else I'll go in the GOD drat GRAVE," and refers to the title as the "Hulk Hogan Memorial Belt," he injects a lot of power into his words. Granted, I've only seen that promo in a vacuum and you've actually watched all the WCW surrounding it, so you'd be in a better position to judge it's repetitiveness. But in that vacuum, where I think most people watch that promo, it seems like a shining example of the theoretically potential of a Worked Shoot.

I've been of the opinion for some time that the kernel of good intent in Russo's booking style is that he wants to bring back that feeling that you can only have when you think wrestling is real. The feeling that anything can happen because it's real life and real fighting. Unless I misremember, the announcers even claim that the match between Booker and Jarret after that promo is "actually real." I think the way Russo sees it is that Worked Shoots can bring that feeling of suspense back. If the audience is told point blank that the script exists but also that at any moment the guys in the ring might decide to throw it out, they'll constantly be waiting for it to happen and wrestling can perhaps become "real," again.

In a complete vacuum, I can see how BATB 2000 could have succeeded in creating that feeling. But it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and like you said in the end its just another one of a long sting of lovely worked shoot promos that make no sense to people who don't know what "doing the job," is.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

ChrisBTY posted:

For all the condemnation of Tony's announcer work I've heard over the years I will take his 'banter' with Heenan any day over the soulless corporate message replay devices masquerading as commentary that is modern WWE commentary.

There's nothing all that wrong with Tony. He's got a good sportscasting voice and he's got that similar instant credibility JR has. He has a good way of getting his voiced really pinched and panic-sounding when something exciting happens. I mean it's not GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY THEY KILLED HIM, but he certainly had a charm. Tony was never really the problem with WCW commentary, its more that they never got anybody who had chemistry with him AND cared AND was competent. They closest they got on those three metrics was Mike Tenay, who was not that bad either, but certainly didn't really #gamechange anything by his presence.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jeff Jarrett was always great. He's a Memphis-style Heel Born and Bred, and he's never not done it well. He was a good hand in the ring (not a "literal master of all forms of wrestling who will never be used for anything but making worse people look good," like a Dean Malenko, and actual Good Hand like an X-pac) and an above-average promo who knew how to get heat when he needed it.

He should never have been the company headliner of any company he wrestled for, WCW least of all, but he's always been perfect UMC Gatekeeper/Jobber To The Stars Low-tier Main Eventer material, and when given that role he always excelled even in TNA's darkest days. When Bryan Alvarez had praise for you in TNA circa 2010, you had to be doing SOMETHING right.

That's my opinion and I stick by it :colbert:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Alain Post posted:

That's unrealistic. Lucha Underground would never push Mexicans

Rey, Konnan, Angle and the Guerreros aren't from Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm having trouble envisioning Hogan or Nash feuding with Konnan or Raven.
Less so with Jericho or Booker.
That might be the line.
Or maybe it's just because I've seen the latter two be pushed as Main Eventers so I'm more used to perceiving them as bigger deals.

I could see Konnan feuding with Hogan. His promo ability was top notch, and his in-ring style I think would have actually gelled very well with Hogan's. Nash is a different matter, but when Konnan was most over he was Nash's #2 in the NWO Red and Black (if I recall correctly) so if they'd actually gotten behind him in that role (and booked the Wulfpac in a non-stupid way), things might have been very different.

Raven's gimmick in WCW where he would sit in the corner and make his stable wrestle for him I think could have had a lot of legs against Hall and Nash, because he could hold his own against them on the mic and would never really have to wrestle them. But that would require Nash being willing to make him look good. His more natural opponents in WCW at the main event level would have been Flair and Sting, I think those would have been two real money feuds. DDP as well.