Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Die Laughing posted:

Wrestling these days just seems to be a bunch of generic dudes in tights.

Bruno Sammartino should be loving it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Cardboard Box posted:

I can't imagine a WCW reunion pay-per-view having been anything but awful, and I'm not really sure why.

Everything WCW touched was eventually corrupted into poo poo. They even turned the WWF into poo poo with that awful invasion angle. I recently explained the whole thing to a non-fan friend. It was like Marvel versus DC finally happening... but Batman and Superman can't come because they have AOL Time Warner contracts. Wolverine joins the DC side for no apparent reason. Then Dark Horse characters show up.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
When Russo came in, he gave La Parka the Kaientai translated promo gimmick, but with an obnoxious Brooklyn accent. Somehow this was perfectly fine by me. Years later in Mexico he started doing these elaborate dance routine entrances with a Michael Jackson impersonator. Basically, La Parka rules.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mine was that jobber who looked exactly like a 5'8 version of Hogan that main evented Nitro one time. Anybody else remember this?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Didn't they have to use a stun gun to beat Goldberg? I remember a lot of stun gunning going on back then.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is there any evidence that the people running TNA have ever been cognizant of all the things WCW did wrong? Because they're feeding the same egos and re-hashing the same ideas. They even had Vince Russo writing for them.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I remember Daffney sent in a tape for some kind of contest I don't remember them announcing and within a couple weeks, she was on Nitro, in character.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It was pretty gracious of McMahon to give Bischoff a job after all the poo poo he pulled.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
In the event of a water landing, the 24 inch pythons can be used as a flotation device.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Chris Gaines posted:

I wish I had a good analogy for calling TNA the second most powerful wrestling company in North America.

It's a #2.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Endless Mike posted:

As terrible as Tony could be at times, he definitely had a good sports announcer voice.

Wrrrrrestling fans, this... is the greatest moment... inthehistoryofourgreatsport.

Sure is, Tony. :jerkbag:

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 26, 2014

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

joshtothemaxx posted:

This thread makes me sad because I feel like the current WWE Bryan-Punk gently caress ups would drive fans to another company like the aforementioned Goldberg.... But there's no alternative. Sad days.

Punk was the champ forever and hosed it up himself by being an un-personable grump when they sent him to be the face of the company on talk shows and such. I don't remember if it was Conan or somebody else, but Punk gave an awfully unfunny interview on some late night show. He didn't want to be there and couldn't be arsed to muster the energy to pretend. Bryan is going to have the strap eventually.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

greatn posted:

I had a dream once where Kevin Nash pulled out a derringer and shot Goldberg in the chest while the reef wasn't looking, but Goldberg kicked out and Tony Schiavone lost his loving mind.
Fish crowds are never hot.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I really liked Lance Storm and I think deliberately giving him the "this guy bores you" gimmick only exacerbated his LSD.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Everything involving Norman Smiley ruled.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
WCW's rings were 18x18 feet. Mcmahon prefers the larger 20x20 and with actual ropes instead of wrapped steel cables.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Halloween Jack posted:

That reminds me, what's the most ridiculous weapon ever brought out in a wrestling match? I suppose the answer is probably some insane thing from CZW, like that "devil's toothbrush" thing or the time they used a weedeater. I ask because I saw the Sid vs. Nightstalker match and him slapping Sid with the flat side of a giant battleaxe was the icing on the cake.

In Mick Foley's first book, he said the ECW fans tried to give the wrestlers a two man canoe to hit each other with.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I thought The Machine was just the most generic member of the team Giant Machine and Hulk Machine were on.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

MassRafTer posted:

Jarrett was going to get in on one of the terrible start ups of that era because TNA existed more to capture the "Jeff Jarrett can't get a job" market.

Russo, Bischoff, Nash, Hogan and corporate get all the blame for WCW folding, but I feel like Jeff Jarrett deserves some as well. The main event scene was all these 260+ pound monsters, most of whom had a lot of experience successfully selling tickets, and in comes this little pipsqueak with his childish catchphrase, his lackluster finisher, and ten thousand guitars, and all of a sudden he's the world heavyweight champion. He had that shirt that said "DON'T PISS ME OFF!" Or else what, little buddy? If a guy Jarrett's size had brought some speed and agility to the main event, that would be one thing, but Double J was just as slow and plodding as the big guys, while having none of the stage presence or intimidation factor. It felt like he hogged the spotlight for the entire last two years of WCW.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is a picture of a fifty-five year old man alone in his bedroom streaming himself smoking weed.

I'm sure that's his home office, but he should have stayed true to character by remaining just off camera behind a desk as The Powers That Be.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
At least Master P was famous. Why did WCW want DJ Ran to do live turntablism at all their shows? Don't they know raaaaaaaap is crap?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Edge & Christian posted:

Keep your rafts, I'm still waiting for a Slapnuts Blvd sign to show up on eBay.

I didn't believe you, but sure enough: http://www.wrestlecrap.com/sbt/someone-bought-this-slap-nuts-slap-nuts-slap-nuts/

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Somebody has already uploaded the YET-TAY to the new Fire Pro game.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I'm the last minute addition of VAN HAMMER.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

algebra testes posted:

I feel like, over my years as a wrestling fan like i'm one of those memes

brain: WCW WAS GREAT
explody brain: WCW WAS ALWAYS TERRIBLE
big explody brain: WCW had peaks and valley but was ultimately sabotaged by lack of consistent leadership
biggest explody brain: TO BE THE MAN YOU GOTTA BEAT THE MAN, WOOOOOOOOOO!

But thank you both for your input, I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this stuff. :)

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Oh great, you've Godwinn'd the thread.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Rey only unmasks for cats and Kevin Nash's hair.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

rare Magic card l00k posted:

DDP went from being the best buddies with the prospective new boss to being an older outsider in a company where he was an rear end to one of their favored younger stars.

Who was DDP an rear end to? In WWF?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bobby Heenan was unmistakably drunk by the end of Hog Wild 96. :roflolmao:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Judy Bagwell seemed like a nice lady.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

NikkolasKing posted:

Does anybody remember Asya? I'm surprised the Death of WCW doesn't mention this brilliant idea.

Get it? Asia is bigger than China!

*she's noticeably smaller than Chyna*

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who the gently caress calls it suncream?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Why do the Hall Nash and Hogan action figures vibrate. Why are they seven inches in height and they vibrate. Why are they from Original San Francisco Toymakers and they are action figures of muscle men and they vibrate.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
With that mullet and that wrestling style, he could've called himself Mister South and had a good run as the redneck incarnate gimmick. But alas, his devotion to Jesus kept him humble. Blessed are the job guys, for they shall inherit the hot dogs and handshakes.

edit: You've heard of Beyond The Mat. Behold: WITHOUT THE MAT!

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 26, 2020

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Buff Bagwell is one of those guys who sucked but was far more entertaining than 99% of whatever happened in wrestling after WCW died.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
WCW in the summer of 1999 was oppressively boring. Fifteen minute Sid Vicious promos. Red and yellow Hulk as a babyface champ. Unmasked Rey. KISS demon. Bobby Heenan completely done giving a poo poo.

edit: My God, the debut of Berlyn! Schavonne notes that Berlyn speaks English but refuses to do so. Heenan inquires, "Can you blame him?"

I don't know Bob, what the hell do you even mean by that? :psyduck:

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 17, 2020

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Shane Douglas makes me wish the Revolution really wasn't televised.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So the original plan was to reveal that the real driver of the white hummer was.... Carmen Electra? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Chyron fuckups were some of my favorite WCW wrestlecrap. It says "Kendall Windham (with Curt Hennig)". Curt is nowhere to be found.