Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i was getting gas the other day and Scott Steiner was on the next pump over

He drives the biggest, gaudiest SUV i've ever seen in my life. and he's not as tall as I thought he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

wcw would've lived if they kept the honky tonk man

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

coconono posted:

I thought the whole thing about Sid’s steak

is it a ribeye or a t-bone

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

gary spivey? of the psychic companions network? what are you doin' here?!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

My favorite part is Gotch's immediate "this loving idiot" body language when he thunks his skull against the mat

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

who?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

these are indistinguishable from Nintendo 64 ads

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

if you guys keep disgracing Nintendo 64 on this forum I am going to start hollering

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

is that a puka shell necklace

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i thought it was literally one puka shell in the center

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

classic

also lol @ "the rock and roll express dream date." Imagining going on a date with RnR and getting Robert as your date instead of Ricky

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

coconono posted:

most women south of the mason-dixon wanted to be spit roasted by the pair.

Ricky gets the hot tag after he cums

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Tully's face is so loving weird. I dont know what he did to actually look like a normal person in his old age

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i think Bill really doesn't get enough credit for what a performer he was. there are people that like to pretend any jacked football player could have got over in the Goldberg spot doing 40 second squashes but I don't believe that for a second. you can't teach the intensity and charisma that bill had.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

coconono posted:

Ryback couldn't even walk down the ramp without stumbling, I'm not sure what they were going for.

that entire fiasco proved that Vince just fundamentally couldn't understand what Goldberg was. I think in his head, goldberg exclusively got over through size and strength, which was a big part of it but not the point. goldberg was loving YOKED but he still looked like a legitimate athlete and he had credibility, ryback looked like a loving joke.

also because half the WWE audience had seen Ryback farting around in NXT with a cowboy hat saying "yup yup yup what it do"

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I mean Goldberg's debut had him doing collar elbow tieups and hammerlocks and attempting to grapple with Hugh Morrus so I think it's conceivable that WCW could have hosed him up

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

ryback was a caricature of a WWE babyface. Which might have been a fun angle to go with but they played it straight

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

anybody who watches that match and honestly thinks that Regal is shooting on Goldberg doesn't know what the word "shoot" means

Regal was hosed up but he wasn't stupid

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

rujasu posted:

I didn't use the word "shoot" - he was working stiff and no-selling some moves

I know, I wasnt talking about you

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Moe_Rahn posted:

I might be biased, because I was a WCW kid growing up (by default, because my parents' cable package didn't carry USA) but I was watching clips of this year's Summerslam, and Goldberg's spear still looks like it actually slams a person into the ground (because when he's doing it right, he hooks the legs and makes it look sort of like a takedown), while Edge's just looks like he just puts an arm around the other guy and they fall over together.

it's because Bill would grab them around the thighs/hips and pivot them downwards to drive their back into the mat, sort of like a spinebuster. edge would just run into you and hold on, and it was up to you to take the bump.

rhyno does a similar thing to edge, but he doesn't hold on, it's almost more like a flying shoulder tackle. but he always put enough ferocity into it to make it believable. there are plenty of ways to do it and make it look good and Edge never did any of that

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

didn't edge gently caress up a spear on the outside and jam his neck, and that was the straw that broke the camel's neck? I remember seeing a video of it but it might have been bullshit

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

coconono posted:

Someone honestly looked at Ed Leslie's rear end and said, yup that's the Booty Man.

don't talk about Ed "Starrcade main eventer" Leslie like this

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

GOAT

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

"Ughhh..."

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

all of those pins are A+ avatar material

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

And those kid versions of the Nitro Girls are, er, definitely something!

yeah what the gently caress is that about. really weird.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

mearn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeEGs_ierWo

I always enjoyed Kevin Nash encouraging you to pick somebody else. Didn't even want to work more than he had to in a video game

bret calling it "The WCW" will never not be funny

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

What I mean is, would you have been just fine if it had hit your chin instead of your eyes?

No, absolutely not

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

there's a dude on Craigslist here claiming that he has stage lights from the last episode of Nitro, AND the ring apron for that night, selling it all for 90 bucks. I'm so obscenely curious if they're full of poo poo or not

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

DJExile posted:

drat those script "A" hats own

80's-90's Braves aesthetic is extremely good

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I was watching a clip from a Vampiro shoot and he says that he's seen nine people die in the ring or in the dressing room, which is the funniest bullshit lie of a shoot filled with funny bullshit lies

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

It's WCW adjacent but I can't believe I'm just finding out that Butterbean knocked out Sean O'Haire at Pride 32. Got himself a scalp from WWE and WCW.

poo poo video but screw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50bd83lvnAw

And wow I had no idea O'Haire passed in 2014. I thought it was way earlier. God that's sad.

i'm not sure that O'Haire would have been the megastar that people act like he could have been, but he could've had a really solid career and his future was pretty much ripped from his hands. he couldn't stop beating his girlfriends either which probably didn't help but it's not like WWE really cared that much back then. real weird hosed up dude, it's a sad story

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Q_res posted:

"Was never a big draw" is such a lovely, disingenuous argument. Nobody's ever a big draw unless the Booker/Promoter puts them in a position to be the big draw.

All you have to do is look at Jericho, Austin, Foley, Eddie Guerrero. All of them were completely wasted in WCW and were never "big draws" there, and never would have been for reasons that have literally nothing to do with their talent or ability.

okay but guerrero and jericho were put into a position to be big draws and failed (Guerrero more so than Jericho, Jericho was just mediocre). Austin and Foley were put into a position to be big draws and succeeded. That's how it has worked for the entire history of professional wrestling, it doesn't take anything away from the performers. I don't value drawing power as much as other people when looking at "the GOAT" but there's a reason why it's a metric used and valued by journalists and the workers themselves.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Imagine thinking Calvin Johnson isn't a Hall of Famer

e: Or that the Detroit Lions might be "the right team"

yeah well how many times did Calvin Johnson sell out the Garden

that's what I thought

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mick is literally a central part of two of the highest rated segments in RAW history.

Along with his success on television, Foley always drew really good gates when he was main-eventing, iirc. especially in 98. I suppose you could argue that's more due to the product being hot, but I would argue that the product was hot BECAUSE of Mick in the first place, at least partially

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

I remember in Bischoff's book he defended WCW's entrenched glass ceiling by saying 'the only stars in wrestling are established stars.'
Do you think he ever realized what a dumb idea this was? This is the philosophy of a man who does not understand the linear progression of time.

Bischoff is very intelligent but also criminally stupid. It's pretty fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012