Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I can't believe I read the whole thing...

This brought back memories--the ratings war happened while I was in college, and we watched a lot of it in the dorms. Some random thoughts:

I'm glad to know that someone else remembers the saga of Lenny Lane and Chris Jericho's Loverboy tape.

Like most of you, we were big fans of DDP, the Flock, and Chris Jericho. And Scott Norton. And the luchadors. And Kanyon (after all, who betta?) In fact, we would usually watch the first two hours of Nitro, then switch to Raw for the last hour.

We all liked Goldberg a lot, but it was clear that he wasn't going to improve, simply because he didn't have to. Still, it was cool to watch him bust out new moves, early in his run. (I have a fondness for his pumphandle suplex, myself.)

I saw Road Wild '98 in person. We enjoyed the show for the most part, although part of that is because we left before the main event (Hogan and Bischoff vs. DDP and Leno? No thank you.)

I don't remember THE BLOCK, but I do remember the time Jerry Flynn said "gently caress" on camera, and then immediately cringed.

La Parka's overdub act was the best thing about late WCW. (Our favorite was the time he "said" "I'll kick your Lucky Charms rear end!" to Fit Finlay.)

Speaking of Finlay: it wasn't the Junkyard Invitational that nearly ended his career. It was a hardcore match against Brian Knobbs--Finlay went through a table, and shards from it severed the nerves in his leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

LordPants posted:

And my other favorite Triple H burial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owsymUkFv6g

I don't know why Hurricaine got a competitive 7 minute match with Triple H but it's pretty fun watching it.

Wow, Hurricane had more offense in that match than I remembered.

I seem to remember this being after Hurricane had some great segments with the Rock, and Trips basically went, "Well, this kid's starting to get over. I'd better Hogan him before it gets out of hand."

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I was going to tell my favorite story about the reboot episode, but I can't find it...might not have been a part of that one.

Anyway, it was at the top of the show, with the camera on the announcers doing their rundown. Behind them is a fan in purple shorts, with his whole body painted green, and a sign that said "ONLY ONE HULK."

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I bought the WCW Nitro game the weekend it came out...and then sold it to a friend a few days later. The only highlight I can remember is playing in a tag match as DDP (because his finisher was super-easy...just hit Triangle three times, or something like that), and while I was not the legal man, running into the ring and hitting Diamond Cutters on opponents.

Yeah...that game didn't hold our interest very long. Not when there was still WCW/nWo Revenge to go back to.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
About shows that aired after Raw: pretty sure that Tekwar was one of them, for all of its...like, four episodes.

About TNT programming: God help me, I actually like the Postman.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Weird Al tells a story on the DVD commentary about how Randy Savage wanted to know the sex of the hamster before he would do the scene.

Because apparently doing the job for a girl hamster was a bridge too far.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Edit: I can't forget the commercials. I am so glad Naitch uploaded that show as is, the 1997 commercials were great.

I love the commercials in old wrestling shows. I was watching one of the early Clash of the Champions a while back, and the commercials were still in...there was an ad for the Yugo in every break, and it was amazing.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
When Lawler first took over on color commentary, I hated him because he was replacing Bobby Heenan. After that, I hated him because he was terrible. He had a few funny jokes (and yeah, some good stuff at the expense of the Hart family) but they were outnumbered by the ones that weren't good enough to show up in Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: FUNNY! e-mails. Most of the time, the only good thing about his commentary is when he makes one joke too many, and JR starts laying into him. That's always fun.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What I always loved about Heyman is that he'd antagonize the everloving gently caress out JR, but less with being a silly horny jackass and more with looking at the actions of heels in a logical way.

Heyman was at his best when he didn't have an agenda--he was kind of hard to listen to at the Survivor Series where the Invasion angle wrapped up, but usually he was solid. Like a more abrasive Heenan.

Mr. Perfect was actually pretty good at the desk; he served as color man on a few PPVs, and only had one bad show. Like a slightly toned-down Jesse Ventura. Roddy Piper was disappointing as a color man, as was Ted DiBiase (who was kind of bland.)

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
The "Pearl" in "Rap Is Crap" might refer to Pearl beer, which was based in Texas.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

I guess I thought (a) referring to her as just "Pearl" seemed weird, and (b) she's got a far bigger connection with Tennessee than Texas, it might be something else.

And in doing so, I put more thought into it than WCW did. But yeah, you're most likely right.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Apropos of nothing: I just watched Clash of the Champions XIII, which features (among other things) a bit with Black Scorpion. Not even the Wrestlecrap page on that angle could prepare me for how balls-out stupid insane that segment was. (He pulled a dude out of the crowd and did magic tricks on him. He turned the guy into a cheetah!)

I think the only thing that would make me laugh harder than that segment is meeting the guy who thought it was a good idea.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I want to say that Sick Boy and Scotty Riggs are teaming up again in the indies.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I remember him doing dragon screws for a while, and once--pretty early in his run--he busted out a pumphandle suplex. So, dude had some moves. But like others have said, he was encouraged not to use them.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I'd forgotten about that Daniels/Modest match. Wonder what ever happened to Michael Modest.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread myself, but as most of my exposure to Sting was with the Crow gimmick, this earlier one is a revelation. One thing I loved was how stoked he was to be wrestling. Him and Luger are tag champs and the Road Warriors appear asking for a title match. Sting couldn't be happier to wrestle them. I think it's the only time I've seen someone so happy to put their title on the line.

I'm hoping that's the time where Luger didn't want to face the Road Warriors, and started listing off all the other credible tag teams that they could give a shot. One of them was State Patrol.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I think every time they interview a doctor for whatever reason, it should be King Kong Bundy in a lab coat.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

oldpainless posted:

You mean the interviewer is King Kong Bundy in a lab coat right?

No. The interviewer is Bundy with a fake mustache.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember when somebody posted a screenshot of the roster for a WWF game and I was just like

:smith: poo poo, a third of those guys are dead.

I actually (half-) own that game. A friend and I bought the cabinet from our local Arcade, lovely Pizza & Animatronic Animals place when it went out of business.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

nasboat posted:

Scott Steiner is seriously the wrestler that introduced me (and I'm sure many others) to the hurricanrana. It blew my loving mind as a kid.

There's an early Clash where the Steiners wrestle...Doom, I think. Scott picks up one of them for a slam, and then backflips. Have not seen that before or since.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

Oh you're right, they did have a jailhouse match. I'm not sure when that happened, according to google that match was in 91, so maybe right after Akeem?

Right after the Heenan family. He fought Mr. Perfect for the IC Title at WM7, then had the Jailhouse Match with the Mountie at Summerslam '91.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

1st AD posted:

All I remember about that angle was Karl Malone and DDP wrestling in a tag match and Malone hitting a Diamond Cutter on someone.

Malone hit the Diamond Cutter on Curt Hennig during the Hogan/Goldberg title match on Nitro. Actually looked pretty good.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

This suddenly gives me an idea where Bischoff signs The Wu-Tang Clan instead of Master P and they go on to have a 'Wu-Tang Tiger Style Kung-Fu' vs Karate angle against the Cat and Ray Lloyd.
This would obviously be dogshit but the idea of The Cat getting his rear end kicked by newest member of the Wu-Tang Clan Scott Norton would fill me with glee.

Road wild is a six man match between Lloyd, Cat and Bischoff against Norton and the Killah Beez (Jim Brunzell and B. Brian Blair obviously).

Thank you for making me realize that Scott Norton in the Wu-Tang Clan is all I have ever wanted out of life.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I recently finished watching Souled Out '98 and I still don't see the point of having Dusty join the nWo.

God dammit, WCW.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I'm about to watch Hogan/Warrior from Halloween Havoc '98. Pray for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Randaconda posted:

Goldberg/DDP is the next match, though, and it owns.

Yes it does. Though I half wondering if the Network feed of it would cut out at the start of the match, like the PPV did.