Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
we also got a classic El Dandy moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
Sting winning and losing the world title in the same night was pretty unforgivable too. Not to mention that he won it from DDP and then lost it back to him even though DDP hadn't been built up at all for a main event push

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
I'm still mad about Bischoff name dropping Jim Ross last week and criticizing commentators for not knowing the stupid karate names of moves that he insists on using. Every time he says "back leg front kick" I hate him just a little bit more.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Bischoff was obsessed with "beating" the WWF, particularly in the ratings, and as time went on he became increasingly desperate to do so. He threw away a lot of money matches (and just a lot of money) trying to boost Nitro's ratings.

To me the best part of his desperation was openly challenging Vince to a shoot fight on PPV in the hopes of some publicity. Vince outright ignoring him must've eaten away at him so badly

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
Oh right lol. I think there was a part in Death of WCW about that, where they had to try and explain to a judge why advertising the match by saying "there's no way Vince will show up!" meant that they were telling the audience he was definitely going to show up.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

holy poo poo

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

if they had been second place, wouldn't they have still been killed by the aol merger?

That probably had more to do with them losing over $60 million in TYOOL 2000. if they were still making money I'm sure whatever suitdummy was put in charge of them would've kept them around regardless of ratings.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

No. Goldberg was super hopped up, but he wasn't a disaster waiting to happen. He gave Bret a concussion, poo poo happens. Bret's career ended because WCW then booked him in a bunch of matches where he got more concussions instead of letting him recover from it. There's lots of guys who have given people concussions.

Yeah, Bret's match with Terry Funk shortly afterwards probably did more damage than the Goldberg match if I'm remembering it right

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
I think it's important to remember that the No Limit Soldiers were also just really annoying, and theres no way you can be dumb enough to fill a ring with dudes shouting "HOOTIE HOO" over and over again and expect people to like them, but WCW managed to be that stupid

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013
Hey in a desperate and tasteless attempt to change the subject, here's an old obscure Davey Boy Smith promo from WCW where hes clearly hosed out of his gourd on drugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eG0FOmsj18

Tried briefly to look up these "Backstage Blast" segments and they seem pretty hard to find, unless they put this poo poo on the Network and i'm not aware of it. Were these from the period where they tried selling Nitros on PPV?

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

I like being reminded that Spice was the best Nitro Girl, please remind me of this more often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Does Sid have a different theme on the Network for some reason?

Bryan and crew keep complaining about how his song doesn't fit him and I'm like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkz4tD8-PQ

This fits him perfectly. It's slow and imposing and menacing.

"Some reason" is probably because of WCW/Jimmy Hart and their love of ripping off already existing songs, in this case, "China White" by the Scorpions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADTM97jgg8