Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I watched WCW in '99 when I was little and I do remember Revolution.

But what happened to them? Was it disbanded by the time 3 out of the 5 members wanted to bail to WWF?

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I forgot they even had a 5th member; it was all about the four guys. And while Douglas, the one who didn't jump to WWE, was the leader/mouthpiece of the group, his star was fading fast at that point. I think he kept the Revolution theme music, but he didn't do much after that.

Basically you had the whole group suddenly jumping ship to WWE but swapping out Douglas for Guerrero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Douglas basically stuck around WCW with his Perfect Strangers knock-off music and got Torrie Wilson as a valet. Cut a lot of promos where he threatened to "Franchise" people's asses. It was not great.

Yeah, I do remember him trying to make "Franchised" a thing.

It was better than Dean Douglas I guess.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

coconono posted:

I remember being kind of excited in WCW for him because he carried himself like a big deal but at that point WCW was pretty terrible to me. Even the cruisers weren't as cool.

Nah, the cruisers were the one good thing going for WCW at that point. They were at their best right around the time WCW overall was at its worst. At one point they had AJ Styles, Rey Mysterio Jr, Billy Kidman, Shane Helms, the Young Dragons, and an entire federation's worth of luchadores and they basically had the first hour of the show to themselves. They had a cruiser tag division. OK maybe I'm remembering this all being better than it was, but I know it was pretty much the thing that kept me watching WCW at the time. And of course WWE did nothing with any of those guys because, cruiserweights.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

you're attempting to cram discrete highlights of like 5 years into one age and it never happened

MassRafTer posted:

They were definitely not their best when WCW was at its worst, especially after Douglas came in. After Douglas came in they put the belt on Lenny Lane, then Evan Karagias, then Medusa. Then Prince Iaukea who was also trash.

They fired all the luchadores long before AJ Styles came. AJ Styles was basically a factor in WCW for 2 months. And not much of one. Shane Helms got a serious push in the last 3 months. They had a cruiser tag division for 2 months.

Yeah:

rujasu posted:

OK maybe I'm remembering this all being better than it was

You are totally right. That said, things were looking up in those last couple of months when Helms was the face of the division and they let him use a finishing move that really should have broken multiple people's necks. Anyway...

Halloween Jack posted:

A whole lot of stuff that is casually blamed on Russo happened long before he got anywhere near the product; that much is true. He signed in September 1999, and at that point they had already beaten the nWo to death, hosed up Sting vs. Hogan at Starrcade 1997, had Goldberg lose to Nash, screwed up with Warrior and Bret, did the Fingerpoke of Doom, the Ric Flair asylum angle, done expensive money-losing gimmicks like Road Wild, and countless lesser sins.

This is really, really big picture here, but when WCW's television declined, there were still good PPVs, when the PPVs declined the house show market was strong, then fans abandoned the house shows and it was just a death march from then on out. 1998 was a good year on paper, but they spent that year setting themselves up for collapse.The house show business was in freefall when Russo was signed and he just made things worse.

WCW was in plenty of trouble before Russo showed up, and that's basically the reason they brought him in. But... I think it was salvageable? I don't know if it could have started turning a profit, but it certainly could have become a watchable product with someone else at the helm.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

WCW Nitro and Thunder for PS1 were a lot worse than Mayhem. Mayhem at least tried.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

shiksa posted:

i liked how in smackdown's career mode the titles would be defended on a regular basis whether you're involved or not. so sometimes you end up with, like, ic champ crash holly and it shows the belt on him in his intro, even in the regular vs mode now.

Wasn't Vince McMahon in the world title division in that game? So you could randomly get WWE Champion Vince.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

And it was nice to have Tony and Brain's commentary. You had previously only gotten commentary in WWF games as far as I remember. Fuckin' Shane McMahon.

It has been a long time, but I recall Tony & Bobby on Mayhem being better than they ever were on actual Nitro. Some of the lines Tony recorded for the game were legitimately funny at least.

I played a lot more of WWF War Zone (Vince & JR) and Attitude (Shane & Jerry Lawler). The commentary in War Zone was really repetitive and it sounded like they were taking turns doing play-by-play. Pretty awkward. Shane was kinda obnoxious, but they did actually sound more or less like they were calling a WWF TV show from that era. Jerry Lawler was about what you'd expect, less of the overt creepiness but he's still Jerry Lawler.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Did they have Shane do it because it was in production around the time that JR had another Bell's Palsy attack right after his mother died?

Probably. It was right around that time. And I guess they figured the name Shane McMahon would sell more games than Michael Cole or Kevin Kelly.

Also I'm remembering now that the WCW Nitro/Thunder games I was complaining about earlier did have commentary. It was a joke though. Tony or Bobby would drone the name of the move being executed, they would have a line for "[wrestler] is doing well/poorly" and a line for "[wrestler] wins" and that was it. And the game itself was really simple and easy. So if I played a match with DDP vs. Hogan, they'd say, "Pile-driver. Pile-driver. Pile-driver. Pile-driver. Hogan looks tired. Pile-driver. Diamond Cutter! 1. 2. 3. D-D-P Wins!" It was pathetic.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Because of the dead crowd and the problem that the workers were probably worried about offending the government, the actual show is unfortunately not very good.

Is the Flair-Inoki match as good as the article says it is?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Luger's music from that period was some top-notch generic rock music though, that's probably why he was so over

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Total Package Megathread: All Luger All Day

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Early years of TNA, pretty much every angle was a bad version of WCW, or to a lesser extent WWE/ECW, but at least they had AJ Styles and a handful of other guys who were elite in-ring performers.

I guess their audio quality wasn't as bad as WCW though? Most WCW shows I remember, it sounded like there was like one guy in the crowd holding up a mic and all the sound was going through that.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I remember WCW crowds being big on throwing trash. It's one of those things that shouldn't really happen, but I admit I kinda get it, every part of that show sounds horrendous and then the main event is the most embarrassing moment in the company's history.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

To be fair, what name would you have given him? Even if he gets to keep the name Sandman, he wouldn't be able to use the song in WCW, and we saw how that went when he was in New ECW for like 5 minutes.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

All the time I watched Razor Ramon I thought Hall was doing some kind of unplacable accent.
Then he shows up in WCW and kept doing it.
But no, that's just his voice.

From what I remember, Hall was always doing a bad Latino impression, even when he went to WCW and started using his real name. I remember reading stories that he looked and sounded very different before becoming Razor Ramon, but I've never actually seen any video of him from back then.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

The Misfits in Action were the worst stable in major league wrestling history.

The Corre at least had a good promo in it. The League of Nations had some good wrestlers.

The Misfits in Action were led by General Hugh G Rection, who sucked. His promos all sucked. He managed to have bland boring feuds with everyone. His stable mates sucked. Corporal Cajun was a bad wrestler. Private/Major Stash was a bad wrestler. All the momentum the Wall had after his brief Hogan feud and kind of a push was killed. All of their matches were bad. Their storylines, like Huge Erection's senile father, or Major Gunns feuding with Miss Hancock (or her joining Team Canada) were all horrible. The stable falling apart managed to be horrible and nonsensical with the way Chavo left.

Major Gunns despite being a horrible promo and wrestler was at least a nice person and probably the only good part of the stable.

Also their theme music sucked and their merch sucked.

Yeah, they were awful, and aside from Chavo being decent, they were all individually terrible. It wasn't a matter of them not meshing well, they were just all bad wrestlers with bland personalities, and making them into a bad stable with an unearned push didn't make them any more interesting than they had been. I remember thinking they were trying to sell Hugh Morrus as WCW's answer to Mick Foley, and well, that certainly did not work at all.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

My favorite thing about X-Factor (and there are a lot of them) is how that Uncle Kracker song isn't even a song written for WWE, it's just a song he had on his album that they dubbed X-FACTOR over that bastard or whatever the original lyrics were.

I think the original lyrics were "I know you hate that fact" which at least shares like, a single syllable with X-Factor, so there's like 0.1 points of cleverness in there.

But at least X-Factor made some sense because they were all guys the fans hated, and it was an attempt to play off of that. It didn't exactly work, because the fans didn't "love to hate them" so much as they "wanted to change the channel every time they came on screen," but at least they had the sense to make their band of boring, disliked jobbers a heel stable instead of trying to convince the fans to like them.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

There's an argument for "worst stable" in terms of wasted potential but most of those (League of Nations, Nexus, Latino World Order)

dude what

the lWo was great

OK not really "great" but at least they were doing something with those guys and it was memorable. Honestly I'd argue for the Filthy Animals being much worse than the lWo. The Animals were talented and should have been an awesome group, but I can't remember any of their promos even remotely making sense or what the point of the group existing was. With the lWo, they made sense, there was a point to it, I understood what the group was about and what their goals (or really Eddy's goals) were.

ETA: Also, the Filthy Animals fall under the "pretty much everything under Russo was bad" category. I remember he had a lot of stans back in the day too. To this day I think it is under-stated just how terrible Russo and all of his ideas were.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

What I'm saying is, they could have done a lot more with lWo, but at least I got the point of it. You had a bunch of lucha guys who couldn't do promos and you put them behind a guy who was good on the mic. Those other stables shouldn't have existed to begin with.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

In terms of entrance music, but that's it

Their entrance music was BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was at a house show when they were a thing, and I gotta be honest, all of us mercilessly booing RTC at the top of our lungs when they came out was actually a ton of fun. So I can't hate on RTC. They were getting the most heat of anyone on the roster at the time, moreso than main-event heels like HHH and Angle.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Recently been watching some episodes of WCW Saturday Night from 1992. Not that I didn't know, but it's just kinda crazy that there was a time when Jim Ross, Steve Austin, and Paul Heyman were in WCW, while Ric Flair and Lex Luger were working for McMahon.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Randaconda posted:

I wanna say Stunning Steve and Dustin had some pretty good matches around then, as well.

Yeah, Austin was part of Heyman's "Dangerous Alliance" so he got to have plenty of matches with Dustin, Barry Windham, and Ricky Steamboat.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Numero6 posted:

If I remember well that wasn't even Booker T, just some random guy.

Tough to tell from the back, but he doesn't look like Booker, even though Booker did have short hair then.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Has there ever been a good _____ on a pole match? I'm sure there must have been, but I mainly associate that whole concept with terrible Vince Russo joke matches.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Long-haired Austin just doesn't seem quite right. Not as weird as the Ringmaster with the Million Dollar Belt though.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Stun Gun just didn't look like a believable finisher to me at all. Not that the Stunner or a lot of other finishers would actually be effective in a real fight, but with most of that stuff I can at least see how it's supposed to look like it hurts. The Stun Gun just doesn't look like it would do any damage. How is the rope supposed to knock someone out?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I do think it looks kinda cool as a non-finishing move. I just have trouble buying it as a KO. Like, okay, you got body-slammed and got back up, but then you just bounced off a springy rope and you're done for? Seems kinda weak.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Remember when HHH tried to get the Indian Deathlock over?

Wasn't that around the same time Rock was trying to do the Sharpshooter? It's like right around that time, they sent a memo to all the top guys, "the fans are getting tired of seeing the same five moves every match, please add a sixth move"

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Wait a minute. I haven't watched wrestling in the last 10-15 years (hence my posting in the WCW thread), did you just say Mark Henry is not only still wrestling, but is actually over? Am I hearing that right? :psyduck:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Henry's recent appearance on Steve Austin's podcast was really great too, and uhhh, to bring this back to WCW kinda, he talks mad poo poo about Big T!

Big T aka Ahmed Johnson you mean? I'm guessing Henry was talking about Ahmed's WWF run, and not his extremely brief run as "Big T of Harlem Heat 2000." I barely remember the latter, as WCW was pretty unwatchable at the time, but from what I remember he was really out of shape by then, had lost any momentum he has when he was Ahmed, and just could not get over at all. I remember he looked pretty bad in the ring by then, couldn't really work the mic, and was in the unfortunate position of being a stand-in for Booker. And then Stevie retired and became a commentator. I remember being surprised by that at the time, wondered if he had a bad injury or something, but actually I just looked it up and it turns out Stevie is 6 years older than his brother Booker, so... yeah that makes sense now. He was in his 40's by then. Anyway, I liked Stevie as a wrestler, thought he was great in Harlem Heat and underrated in the nWo, but being a commentator didn't really work out for him.
Big T was pretty bad in WCW, and I didn't watch WWF during his run, but I've heard he looked really promising when he first came in as Ahmed.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

overmind2000 posted:

I know it's two separate things but it looks like they are promising uncensored pics of The Giant in a forest

That's almost as scary of a thought as "WCW 2000: The Future of Wrestling"

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Even then they managed to gently caress it up for a lot of people by one of the cable carriers cutting off the end of the match because they hadn't organized for the overrun :sigh:

From memory they did replay the entire thing the next night on Nitro at least.

Back then, my parents wouldn't buy the PPV's so that was the first PPV match I ever watched. So I was pretty happy they messed up the PPV. I was also a huge DDP mark, so I was super hyped about seeing a match with my two favorite wrestlers at the time.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I remember Goldberg's match with Regal being pretty good, I haven't watched it in a while to see if it holds up. Regal could carry a rotten potato to at least a 4* match so probably.

You mean the one where Regal decided to work stiff on Goldberg and got himself run out of the company?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

That story isn't true.

Depends who you ask. Anyway, here's lousy YouTube video of the match, you can probably find better footage on the Network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dnCnvet_iA

Really, I don't know exactly what happens and everyone seems to tell a different tale, but something is clearly not going right in this match. That Irish whip where Regal just stops in the middle of the ring is what gets me, that's not a thing that happens in pro wrestling matches. Regal was clearly going off book there, whatever the reason.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Low Desert Punk posted:

anybody who watches that match and honestly thinks that Regal is shooting on Goldberg doesn't know what the word "shoot" means

Regal was hosed up but he wasn't stupid

I didn't use the word "shoot" - he was working stiff and no-selling some moves

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

His spear was bad, but it was better than his original "Downward Spiral" finisher. Definitely not as good as Goldberg's or even Rhyno's. The DDT was fine, but by that point, everyone did a DDT, so it was kinda awkward to have one guy using it as a finisher and everyone else using it as a regular move.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

No idea what the context for this pic is, but it's great

I remember nWo 2000 as being a reasonable enough idea which got completely wrecked by Nash & Hart getting hurt, Hall leaving, and Jeff Jarrett fitting like a square peg. Also those other pics are a great illustration of WCW being just godawful in 2000, it's no wonder they went out of business

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I never liked Lance Storm back in the day. I thought he was a decent performer, but his promos didn't do much for me, Team Canada sucked, and back then I didn't really like heels and got annoyed with smark fans who all seemed to think heels were great and faces were boring. In hindsight, he was pretty good, but Team Canada sucked just as much as all of the other WCW angles at the time.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I get the impression Public Enemy really lived up to their name. They never seemed to hang around at any wrestling organization for very long. Also, I read Kurt Angle's book years ago, he mentioned them and said what amounted to, "we didn't like them, so we had the APA work them really stiff in their last match."

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

shiksa posted:

(warzone and attitude were trash awful games and I knew the wcw n64 games were better but I was a playstation wwf mark so that's on me)

Disagree. The N64 games were probably better (I didn't have much opportunity to play them) but War Zone and Attitude were solid, enjoyable games and were miles ahead of everything else that came out on PlayStation for WCW or WWF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ecavalli posted:

Had you had more opportunity to play the N64 games, you wouldn't be making this argument.

Randaconda posted:

Smackdown! and Smackdown! 2 were both better than they were, and were for the Playstation, wtf

I didn't play SmackDown! 2, but I preferred Attitude to SmackDown! 1. I dunno, I kinda bounced off SD! and didn't have any interest in playing SD!2.

Here's how I'd rank wrestling games I put significant time into:

No Mercy (N64) > Wrestlemania 2K (N64) > Attitude (PSX) > War Zone (PSX) > SmackDown! 1 (PSX) > WCW Mayhem (PSX) >>>>>>>>>>> Wrestlemania 2K (GBC) > WCW Nitro/Thunder (PSX)

I should probably walk back "miles ahead of everything else that came out on PlayStation" - they were both miles ahead of Nitro and Thunder and slightly ahead of SmackDown! 1, and maybe SD!2 was better.