Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You're conflating two WCW angles. One, from the good years, as mentioned, where Crow Sting after Crow Sting came to the ring to fight the nWo. The second, from the bad years, was a Russo PPV match against Jeff Jarrett where a Sting of every era showed up. Surfer Sting, Crow Sting, Wolfpac Sting, and even an old man Sting from the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't answer that question, but it's loving hilarious how similar the Roman problem is to Diesel.

Smiling, blue contacts, sufferin' succotash. It's all the same bullshit the fans have hated since forever, again stuck on somebody whose personality is decidedly not that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Numero6 posted:

Did WCW point out that Razor Ramon was already similar to The Diamond Studd?
That's probably how he kept the toothpick.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Seams posted:

people expect bullshitters like Bischoff to be shamed when presented with evidence that they're full of poo poo but if the physical contract turned up he'd just pivot to some other excuse or blame standards and practices or scream Mabel was the third man. you can't fact check a con artist
Bischoff is the rare bullshitter who, when presented with evidence, can occasionally say "huh. Guess I was wrong," then continues to bullshit.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That is the greatest gif in the history of our sport.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

I liked when Konnan tried to drop that quote on Nash after the finger poke of doom and Nash just goes 'That's funny coming from you. How's your view been?'
They really did Konnan dirty in that whole elite nWo business. They surrounded him and he was like, " I'm 'pac! I'm 'pac!" indicating that he, the babyface with catchphrases, wants to be in the group of dickhead heels, and then they told him no and beat the poo poo out of him.

Granted, it's Konnan, but all the same.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TheSwizzler posted:

Anyone have the exact figure on what the record was for that Konnan music video getting played in a single Nitro?

I think it might be 4, specifically on that one that didn't have any wrestling on the first hour.
I don't think it ever played more than once per episode, but it played every episode of Nitro and Thunder for a bit there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"Sgt. A.W.O.L."

God how many military themed wrestlers did WCW have?
That's the wall, brother!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

lWo was hosed by their name, but "all the Mexicans are heels" was a poo poo idea anyway, particularly because it started out with Eddie telling off Eric Bischoff, which was huge considering midcard guys didn't get to interact with the uppercard ever in WCW at the time and Bischoff was managing the main-event heels.

It also had a worked-shoot element to it, because I don't think until that moment, it was ever acknowledged that Bischoff was the president of WCW, so that was a little confusing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lance Storm before New Blood Rising.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

The Nation of Domination is excluded because at least we got The Rock from them.
Also because of that GIF. You know the one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hedgehog Pie posted:

RTC was undeniably a Vince vanity project at heart, but most of the things I've heard about the PTC doesn't exactly make me sympathise with the non-Vince cause for once.

Though you should keep in mind that my knowledge of the PTC comes pretty much entirely from wrestling fans.
It's kinda' the most GIF-LetThemFight battle to be had, really, but the collateral damage wasn't worth it. It was ECW's "thumbing your nose at authority means adopting views used to radicalize today's Nazis" without the actual intrigue or talent.

The PTC crowd were already radicalized dipshits. There was nowhere for them to go.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If you go broke investing in real estate, you're terrible at it. A market crash only means a gently caress if you sell before it bounces back.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Somebody here at the time said "bada-boom! Darkest MRI in the room! How'm I doin'?"

And I still chuckle at that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's extremely weird. Ending the Armstrong Curse was a big deal to somebody, I guess.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ecavalli posted:

Truth. There was something about the snap and the impact of a Jake Roberts DDT that just made it look like he'd killed a dude. He simply does DDTs better than almost anybody.
Raven's evenflow in WCW was an amazing DDT. Like the Stunner, he'd kick you in the gut first to get you in position and it looked devastating. Later on, he'd add a long pause when his opponent's head was under his arm and he wouldn't back bump as hard and it sucked.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Were we not having fun before? I don't understand this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

is the Sting plate the new Hulk Hogan raft?
Sting plate when?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

nah, it's only 12 bucks on ebay
Twelve bucks?! History can keep it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Sting plate? What'd he ever eat?!
:lol:

In December of 1997 I was gonna' eat off the Sting plate, but Hogan had Nick Patrick ruin the food, so I wound up incredibly unsatisfied.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fart blood posted:

It’s a bad system and I stand by this opinion and I want everyone to hear it :colbert:
It was Havoc. He started on the Nitro that was the go-home show, I believe. Fall Brawl was the Sting turn, and by Havoc it was already being undone by Russo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ryback is just more proof that when WWE gets something over, they have to prove that it had nothing to do with the performer by ruining them immediately, so instead of spending the money they found, they light it the gently caress on fire.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I agree completely. One thing that gets me about the wrestling bubble is that everybody assumes anybody talking about anything is lying if they're wrong about it. You've got edge cases like Hulk Hogan, who, like Vince and Trump, I don't think he ever knows when he's lying, and hoo boy am I not touching that stuff.

But beyond that, people ask things to like, Kevin Nash in shoot interviews and he gives a version of the story as he remembers it, and it doesn't line up exactly with the facts. Like when he confuses the aftermath of the Fingerpoke of Doom with the aftermath of NWO 2000 and claims that Goldberg hosed up the angle in the former when he punched a window out with his bare arm instead of a gimmick like he was supposed to and everybody goes "YOU'RE LYING!" and I can't remember poo poo in detail from earlier this month, much less a decade or more ago.

I think Goldberg and Regal are both being completely genuine. Neither is known for being a liar. Regal even wouldn't say nice things about Benoit on the tribute show. Both guys admit their faults and aren't really known for working people.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Goldberg had more moves than most WWE main eventers, because Vince likes people to only do their signature spots and revisionist history is a hell of a thing when combined with projection.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

It's really harmed WWE long-term by making everybody wrestle exactly the same. They've always leaned that way, but it seems like it's got worse the last ten years
We don't notice it as much when there's decent angles and things to get behind, but right now? Woof.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Funnily enough, and I think this is something DDP said on his website back in 1998 back when he used it like what we now think of as a blog, but when Goldberg was at the WCW Power Plant, somebody told Page "we haven't seen anybody with his drive and work ethic since Mortis."

So it's funny that Edge stole Mortis/Kanyon's finisher, but shittier, then migrated to Goldberg's finisher, but shittiest.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edge's spear only looked good if the person selling it jumped just before it happened. Rhyno, too.

Goldberg's almost always looked good because he was a football player and he wasn't working when he did it. He just did it.

You could playt it up and make it easy on yourself, or you could just brace yourself and let Bill run through you, but whichever you chose, it was gonna' loving happen. You were gonna' get got.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Lance Storm doubletake really never did get old.

I also loved that he was a heel who didn't have to cheat. Until Russo took over his booking at New Blood Rising and the less we speak of that, the better.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Eat My Fuc posted:

I stared at that ad for revenge every day for weeks, I wanted the game so bad it was the first time I ever just had to have something. I did yard work, cleaned out the basement, so many hours of extra chores and finally my grand dad bought it for me and booting the game up and watching the intro is still one of the happiest moments of my life.
I didn't eat for so many days to get that game. I pocketed my lunch money and smoked cigarettes during lunch hour so I wouldn't be hungry as a teenager so that I could buy it. I skipped class the day it came out to go to the game shop to buy it. And seeing that loving intro. My god. I can still hear the music and see the weird interstitial text titles that didn't really have much to do with the visuals, but by god was it amazing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Sting coming from the rafters after Owen never bothered me because WCW did it safely and did it to make Sting look cool while the WWF did it dangerously and to humiliate Owen.
I think they also waited several months before doing it again, too, though if I recall at the time I was still like, "hrm. Maybe too soon."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gavok posted:

Bischoff is always trying to whitewash his role. Everyone interviewed in the book tries to act like they're in the right. It just becomes a big pile of he said/they said and you get an idea not to take Bischoff on his word every time.

"Eric gave everyone so much money."
"Bischoff was always overspending."
"Bischoff was handing out money left and right."
"If you wanted more money, he'd gladly give it to you."
"WHAT? NO! I did no such thing!"
Of all the things people poo poo on Bischoff for doing, paying his employees well sure is the weirdest.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The American Dream posted:

He likes wrestling and old movies. So he bought wrestling and old movies and put them on tv.
The El Ray network is just Things Robert Rodriguez Used to Watch on Weekend Afternoons: The Station.

I'd absolutely do the same poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barry Bluejeans posted:

plus he brought the american bison back from the brink of extinction in part by reminding folks of how delicious they are
I've been told bison are better for the environment than cows.

That's important, if true, but they're also loving delicious.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DJExile posted:

Santas Slay is loving incredible
Every year I host a Very Merry Schlocksmas, where I make my friends Christmas dinner and we watch schlock. Last year, I made a game of it. Nobody knew the movies or the theme, but they showed up and we ate, and dinner was great, and then I revealed The Big Board.

I explained that the board would be divided into two sections. One for each movie. Every participant would be given five post-it notes with their name on them, they'd add them to the side of whichever movie just did something funny or amazing. They'd be offered one refund point, but only one. So they had to be careful not to use up all their points on the first flick. The winner would be the movie with the most votes at the end of the night.

Then I pulled the curtain off the board to reveal the theme:

HOGAN VS. GOLDBERG

Santa with Muscles vs. Santa's Slay.

We all assumed Santa's Slay would win, but Hogan won by a country mile.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If we exclude all the things that prove Jericho's a big draw and narrow the definition to only the top five drawing cards of all time ever, then yeah, Jericho's not a big draw.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So I just realized that Hulk Hogan's first WCW television appearance outside of that parade is never talked about in wrestling history. I've followed wrestling for years and I've literally never heard anybody even talk about it.

When was it? What happened?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

It's fortunate Vince was less set in his ways in 1999. If somebody utters the word 'union' around him these days he will literally hate them to death.
I think it's funny that WWE's ratings peaked overall in an episode where the workers banded together to beat the boss, so they dropped the storyline immediately, doubled down on the McMahons never getting beaten or going away, and their ratings were never that high ever again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dario the Wop posted:

Clash of the Champions XXVII. Hogan cut a promo with Gene. Later, Flair beat Sting to unify the WCW World Heavyweight and International World titles and cement his heel turn (Sherri showed up in Sting make-up then turned on him), then Hogan came out and challenged him. Video up on WWE's site.
Hey! Thanks! It's so weird that this isn't common knowledge. For such a big deal of a thing, I never see it even mentioned.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was their theme for a while, if memory serves. Right down to Hogan poses and red and yellow lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I spent years defending WCW from people who said it was always bad in all ways. I'm so happy people have stopped considering them, like, the enemy.