Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/wcwchampionship/304454110218

Definitely an error here. No way he ever learned that he was in over his head at any point in his career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

nasboat posted:

Is there anyone else who remembers the Stevie Ray promo on Thunder where he was ripping on DDP and just began stammering out insults in a combination so hilarious it left me (and hopefully you, too!) in tears?

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was in the spring of 1999, in an interview in the ring with Mean Gene...

"You low-down, dirty, no-good, modern-day, beatnik....FRUIT BOOTY!"

Then Okerlund follows it up as only he can, with an incredulous "FRUIT BOOTY?!?"

Stevie Ray definitely used that term a bit when he started commentating a little bit later, but that was its birth. And it was glorious.

I have never seen it since.

Let's slapjack some fruit booties!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byeiOBmtqxo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lone Rogue posted:

I liked how much of a total douchebag he was. Christopher was always great at playing a complete maniacal douchebag and this never got used to its full advantage in the WWE because he was in such a popular midcard tag team. I'm not saying he could have been a big star but the guy was easier to hate than Heath Slater in Memphis.

Having met Brian many times as a kid going to Saturday morning studio wrestling I can say confidently that he was not 'playing' a douchebag at all. He was one of the worst about talking to the kids or doing autographs after the shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

maniacripper posted:

Which is strange because everyone said Owen was one of the few upstanding people in the business. Unless that talk is all post death fluff. Was it a misunderstanding or is there something else they had heat over?

Bret spoke about it on a recent WWE DVD saying that he was disappointed with how Owen handled the whole situation. So I'm assuming if Bret of all people felt that way then most of the blame for it has to be placed on Owen.

I heard that Martha Hart wrote in her book that Owen thought Austin might be faking or playing the injury up to be worse than it was. But I don't believe that for a second.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Red posted:

What's this now?

HBK was a dick to Rocky before he was big. So once he did blow up he refused to work with Shawn.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

He beat the Undertaker on one PPV and lost to HHH on the next PPV.

You've got that backwards. He beat HHH at Backlash and lost to Taker at Judgment Day.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jubs posted:

So...someone is streaming every single WCW show.

Bobby Heenan is so insanely drunk.

Clicked the link and saw Horace Hogan walking out onto the Thunder set. Not sure there is another single scenario that could have led to me closing the browser tab faster. Maybe a Russo promo. But only maybe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Not even Jerry Flynn?

I'd rather watch a Jerry Flynn match on Worldwide than a Horace Hogan match on Thunder.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jack Krauser posted:

Konnan was over? Never realized.

He was bout it bout it in addition to being rowdy rowdy. Such is the life of K-Dawg.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just checked my copy and yeah it doesn't take anywhere near an hour. It takes about 15-18 minutes of actual TV time not including the commercial break.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Astro7x posted:

It was just too much nWo interviews and very little wrestling. We had the set construction, the nWo Nitro intro, then the Hogan gift celebration where he gets his motorcycle, a second interview segment where Bischoff reveals these huge banners of Hogan's old SI cover, then the third interview segment where Hogan gets the severed head. That could have all been condensed into one segment...

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to give the intention it wasn't terrible. That episode is absolutely horrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That can be applied to literally anything involving the Dungeon of Doom. One of the wackiest long running storylines I've ever seen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oatgan posted:

Great American Bash 2000, Bash at the Beach 2000, and New Blood Rising has got to be the worst string of consecutive ppvs of all time.

Yeah, that's pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to wrestling PPVs. Absolutely dreadful stuff. We should do an endurance night (if you want mass suicide) or week (if you just want the pain to last) where we see who can last through all three of those shows consecutively. I'm not sure I could.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Perigryn posted:

There was that Robin Hood show that they ended up showing the continuation of the preceding Nitro's main event during the commercial breaks.

I loved how they kept saying it was live during the break ins. Like we were supposed to believe that Giant and Hogan had been going at it for like 40 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJjgtKgNssI

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think I may go through the Nitros from the time the nWo started and see exactly how many times it ended like that. What criteria are we looking for here? Just an nWo beatdown ending? Or a cliffhanger ending? Or perhaps a clusterfuck brawl ending? I guess we could do all three.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just went though the 1996 Nitros starting after the nWo was formed on 7/7/96.

7/15 - nWo promo,  garbage littered ring, WCW wrestlers walk to ringside and are about to brawl, show ends. "We are out of time!"
7/29 - Replayed part of nWo beat down earlier in the show.
8/05 - Cliffhanger as Sting and Luger are trying to get in nWo limo. "We are out of time!"
8/12 - WCW unites and runs nWo out of building through the crowd followed by Flair promo.
8/26 - nWo beat down. Garbage in ring, multiple people spray painted.
9/02 - nWo beat down. Garbage in ring, multiple people spray painted.
9/23 - nWo beat down occurs half way through show. Garbage littered ring, multiple people spray painted. They take over show from that point and replay beat down to end the show.
10/07 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Spray paint. Monster truck teases destroying set as cliffhanger.
10/14 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Spray paint.
11/18 - nWo beat down is averted by cops. Garbage still fills ring.
11/25 - nWo beat down. Garbage.
12/16 - WCW unites. WCW vs nWo clusterfuck brawl. Garbage. "We gotta go!"
12/23 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Security tries to break it up "We gotta go!"
12/30 - nWo beat down. Massive Garbage. Followed immediately by another nWo beat down after kicking Giant out of nWo.

Several other shows ended with the nWo either in control of commentary for taking over earlier in the show or doing a promo in ring.

EDIT: Alright, here's 1997. I'll do 1998 tomorrow.

1/06 - nWo beat down of The Giant. Garbage. Followed by nWo leaving and Vincent going back to ring ans getting beat down from The Giant
1/13 - nWo run in and attack The Giant after match that occurs during the commercials of The New Adventures of Robin Hood.
1/27 - nWo beat down is stopped by Lex Luger casually strolling to ring which causes the nWo to backdown.
3/03 - Ends in nWo/WCW clusterfuck brawl. "We've gotta go, we're out of time! See ya next week!"
3/17 - nWo beat down is averted by combined forces of WCW and they are run off. Sting points at Hogan. "WCW is back!" - Tony Schiavonni
3/24 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Spray paint.
4/07 - nWo attempts beat down, is run off by Sting and DDP
4/14 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Sting, DDP, Luger, and Giant get bats and are about to enter and take on the nWo. Sting hits Nash. "We're out of time!"
4/21 - nWo surround Flair, Piper, and Kevin Greene in the ring and then "We're out of time!"
4/28 - nWo casually stroll to the ring during Piper and Flair promo. Flair exits ring to head off the nWo. They beat Flair down in the aisle as Piper is completely oblivious in the ring. Piper finally notices, takes off belt and runs out of ring towards nWo as show suddenly ends.
5/05 - nWo beat down. Several run out to try and stop it, nobody can. Garbage.
5/26 - nWo surround Sting in the ring. "We're out of time. Wait we're staying with it." nWo climbs into ring, Sting goes back up to ceiling "He's gone and so are we!"
6/09 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Sting drops down points bat at nWo, grabs DDP and goes back up to ceiling with DDP. "Goodnight everybody!"
6/16 - nWo beat down. Massive garbage. Spray paint.
6/23 - nWo beat down. Massive garbage. Sting makes last second save but DDP is pretty much dead.
6/30 - nWo beat down. Sting makes save. Curt Hennig walks out. Raven jumps guard rail. "We're out of time!"
7/21 - Minor nWo beat down on the Horsemen. Steiners approach ring. "We're out of time!"
7/28 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Giant runs off nWo. They start to come back. Surround the ring. "We're out of time! Goodnight everyone!"
8/04 - Lex Luger fights off attempted nWo beat down during match. Garbage floods ring as crowd anticipates gently caress finish. Match continues, Luger wins Heavyweight Title. Massive garbage. WCW celebration. Still more garbage.
8/18 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Clusterfuck brawl.
8/25 - Clusterfuck ending. "We are out of time, we gotta go!"
9/22 - nWo beat down. Giant headed to ring to stop it. "We are out of time, we gotta go, see ya next week!"
9/29 - nWo beat down. Massive garbage. Sting heads to ring. Clears ring. Then nWo jumps back in the ring and starts fighing. Show ends.
10/13 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Multiple Stings surround the ring. They are beat down. Real Sting clears ring. "We are out of time!"
10/20 - nWo/WCW clusterfuck brawl. Cage lowers over ring. Show ends as brawl continues.
10/27 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Show ends during brawl.
11/10 - nWo beat down Sting. Nobody in WCW wants to help him. Garbage. "We have gotta get out of here!"
11/17 - nWo beat down Giant. WCW roster likes Giant more than Sting so they run in to save him. Show ends as brawl continues.
11/24 - nWo beat down Giant. WCW roster no longer likes Giant for some reason so they don't save him. Sting dummy drops through ring. Show ends.
12/01 - nWo beat down. Garbage.
12/08 - nWo beat down. Sting dummy drops through ring. Magically turns into real Sting. He beats down nWo.
12/15 - nWo beat down. Garbage. DDP and Steiners run off nWo. DDP cuts promo. nWo come back out and cut promo. Stings appear. Show fizzles off the air with pretty much nothing happening.
12/22 - Hogan gets his own head in a box for Christmas. Bret Hart walks out. Sting ziplines to ring. "See ya Sunday!"
12/29 - Sting and Hogan match to end show. "Fans we're out of time!" before match finishes.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 4, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I feel bad for laughing at that, but drat I did.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

That can't be real. Even as dumb as WCW was, they couldn't have hosed up like that, could they? I don't actually doubt that they did, but I'm surprised I've never heard of that before.

Yeah, I went and looked at the episode after reading that. It definitely happened.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My favorite had to be

"At first glance, it looks like Buff Bagwell, but at least The nWo official was in the ring during an actual main event."

It amuses me to no end that nobody likes Buff Bagwell.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Halloween Jack posted:

http://youtu.be/PXTagE7BtRU

This. This is the best thing. We can all go home now.

Hahaha, it's been years since I've seen or thought about that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

If Hulk Hogan were locked in a mystical cavern and choked by monsters I would watch every week.

Isn't that kind of what TNA is?