Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've been trying to track down some certain WCW clips/segments on youtube to no avail. I'm looking for the pre-NWO "Where the big boys play" segments where they'd show former WCW/current WWF wrestlers getting beaten down by current WCW talent, like Sting beating Cactus Jack. I haven't seen them since they aired, and I just remember them being really ham-handed. Anyone have any handy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I love that during mid-1995, when Raw was literally in high-school gyms being taped 3 weeks at a time, Vince still sent Turner letters about folding WCW.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Regardless of how much it's been discussed/quoted, I will never be able to wrap my head around why they went with "Ahh! It's not hot!" Was it written to be a calm observation such as "Hm...it's not hot.." and Hogan just delivered it wrong? Was it a totally improvised line from Hogan that they kept in? Obviously the entirety of the segment is absurdly horrible, but that inconsequential line is just so baffling.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Every PPV was "listen for free" for me, since my cable company just scrambled the video of PPV feeds.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Rodney the Piper posted:

He didn't wrestle, he was their mascot! He got the fans hyped up. Obviously.
More specifically, he told the wrestling-ignorant tourists at Disney who to cheer/boo for.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I always found it really strange how the WWF went with stock music for Holly and the Hardys. Was Jim Johnston just going through a bad case of writers block in 1998 or something?

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I love how in Diana Smith's book she couldn't even get people's names right. "Steve 'Mondo' McMichael snorted a huge line before going out to the ring."

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Tokelau All Star posted:

So how about that WCW Pro eh? What a lovely show!
I feel like this show was on a different time and channel every week. I'm not sure if it's because I only caught it every few months when it would change slots, or if my local affiliates really did just run it as filler, as if it were an infomercial or something. Sometimes I'd catch it at noon on a Saturday, other times, 1:15am Sunday morning.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

One of Nash's recent shoots goes into why they did the whole Lex/Total Package thing, but I can't quite remember how he explained it. I just scoured his Youshoot really quick but couldn't find it, anyone remember?

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 18, 2013

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Who can forget Tony Schiavone's comment when Hogan turned at Bash 96, "Everyone out of the dressing room to kick his rear end!"

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 20, 2013

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Dickeye posted:

It's a great idea unless you're one of the people who paid to see it and you're stuck sitting there staring at an empty ring with nothing happening and you don't know there's anything happening at all.
Pretty sure that was a Disney show, so I don't think the crowd paid to get in. There was one of those early NWO Disney Nitros where there was two clueless tourist ladies in the front row, waving incessantly at the camera during Hogan/Hall/Nash's in-ring promo.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Heh, I recently watched the Timeline 1989 with Brutus and he used this exact sentence to describe himself pre-Barber gimmick: "Brutus Beefcake, the hottest heel in the business, a household name, the greatest thing since sliced bread."

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

The new Kayfabe Commentaries Timeline of WCW 1996 with Kevin Sullivan is pretty solid. Sullivan has a great memory and gives lots of insight into the booking, particularly with Hulk and his mindset in that time. Amusingly, he said that Hulk was "really, really content" after the Doomsday Cage match at Uncensored.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I want to see this. I don't know why I'm so fascinated with anything Sullivan says. Maybe it's because he pretended to be Charles Manson but talked in Popeye the Sailor Man's voice.
I probably should have attached the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fBQjcVH3w

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

There's a Timeline WCW 2000 with Russo coming out next week, and Kayfabe Commentaries is promoting it as "explosive", and saying that Russo admits that he was less than truthful in earlier shoots and comes clean/names names in this one. KC generally don't overhype their releases, so I'm pretty interested. This is their writeup:

quote:

"Timeline WCW 2000 told by Vince Russo" is cutting amazingly. In what Vince has publicly deemed his last wrestling interview ever, he empties himself completely. Lots of never before heard stuff, he pulls no punches, and really transports himself emotionally back to 2000. It ain't always pretty, and some un-Christian words fly from his lips, but he's got no bridges to burn. We promise you...you are going inside WCW at the dying days in a double DVD like no other. Russo...Hogan...Flair...Seigel...Goldberg...Sullivan...WCW...2000...oh baby! Comes your way August 27th! Lots of sneak previews and trailers coming soon. This is the big one this year kids!

and

quote:

-@KayfabeComment 13 Aug
Vince admits dishonesty in past interviews, disappointed he had to protect people...certainly not the case in this, lol. Last interview ever
Expand

‏-@ShredderIsAlive 13 Aug
@KayfabeComment We've heard that swerve from him before. #StillNotInterested

-@KayfabeComment 13 Aug
@ShredderIsAlive we have 5 trailers and preview clips coming. If your mind is changed...and you ADMIT IT...we'll ship you one GRATIS. Deal?

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 25, 2013

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

My favorite post-Raw show was "Farmclub.com" because it was so hilariously late 90s to have ".com" in your show's name. My friends and I would imagine some redneck watching Raw, and then being completely confused and thinking he had internet afterwards. "Honey! I'm at one of them dot coms!!"

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Watching old Sin Cara/Mistico stuff is like a completely different guy (yes I realize there were two Misticos but I'm talking about Sin Cara). He's about 500 times faster and smoother, and in way better shape. I don't know if he was just gassed up, or if he just turned to complete poo poo when he had to slow down.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I thought Vader was fired because of the dust-up he had with Orndorff, who allegedly dropped Vader with one punch while wearing shower shoes.

EDIT: Speaking of Orndorff, does anyone know a timeline who the agents were in WCW? I remember in Bret's book he said that besides Orndorff and Dusty, none of their agents had ever drawn a dime or done anything in wrestling. I also remember hearing about Jake Robert's dad being an agent in the early 90s.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

WCW's syndicated show was Worldwide, so it was likely that. Everything else was on TBS/TNT.
On the wikipedia entry for Pro, it says there were two syndicated versions of Pro, one in Chicago which aired on WGN, and one in New York which aired on WPIX.

quote:

In 1990, WCW Pro Wrestling was picked up by WPIX-TV in New York City and WGN-TV in Chicago. These two shows were localized versions of the show, with Tony Schiavone and veteran Chicago Cubs broadcaster Jack Brickhouse hosting WGN's WCW Pro Chicago, while Jim Ross and Paul E. Dangerously hosted WPIX's WCW Pro New York. These local versions featured the same matches as the national version of the show, with local spots inserted. In mid-1991, the New York version moved to WCBS-TV where the show aired in a late-night Saturday slot. However, after only a few weeks, the show was replaced by WCW WorldWide, which stayed on WCBS for the next five years.
Sounds like what the dude is talking about, since it aired on a CBS affiliate.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 7, 2013

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Starrcade 96 is the only WCW PPV I ever bought, and I regret it to this day. This was long past the days where I could beg my mom to order wrestling and negotiate that it would be part of my birthday or Christmas present. I had to hand her cash, and despite Dean/Dragon and Rey/Liger, I was pissed and never ordered another WCW PPV again.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Dusty even says (in regard to Piper) "He's the new World Champion!....or is he?...." and then there's the half-assed celebration with Piper picking up his kid near the entrance, and then it's just Hogan spitting into the camera and posing to close out the PPV.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I'll never get sick of the kid in the nwo facepaint at 06:36 marking the gently caress out at the win, to the point of almost hugging his friend, and then they both cheer wildly as if they just saw a 25 minute classic.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I loved Piper as a kid but I think everything he's done in the last 20 years has been horrible and cringeworthy. That TNA/Russo "shoot" where he accused him of killing Owen, but then throwing in his stock lines from 1985 ("Just when you've got the answers, I change the questions"). Terrible stuff.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I'm guessing by the domain name that Russo was the one that came up with the phrase "pyro and ballyhoo" which is actually still being used in Raw scripts to this day.

Does he still have Rihanna slideshows on his site? And also the "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" message when you try to leave.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 14, 2014

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Lotus Brony posted:

I laughed at this having initially read it as Damien having killed Macho Man in the long-term, as the snake was as drugged out as Jake himself.

Speaking of which, how did Jake treat Damien? Well cared for and loved (as much as a snake can be)? Or woefully abused?
I don't know about woefully, but definitely abused. WWF had a company on call who could ship another snake at a moments notice since they'd die so often. I really hate watching the animals in 80s WWF knowing they were around the likes of Dynamite Kid and all the other sociopaths.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

As much as the Hulk Hogan raft has amused me, I somehow missed that it was from 1999. I had figured it was just some piece of lovely merch from 1995, but the fact that it's from 99 makes it even funnier.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

ayn rand hand job posted:

The 10th Anniversary edition of The Death of WCW came out today.
Would love to hear thoughts on it if anybody reads it. I really wanted to like the first edition but it felt so slapped together with a lot of Meltzer quotes taken completely out of context and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I'll have the baby guts.