Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

MassRayPer posted:

While it could have been staged, there were so many HOGAN FEARS STING and STING WANTS HOGAN and other Sting vs Hogan type signs in the crowd that I've never really thought it was a plant.

Yeah but what fan would address their sign specifically to JJ Dillon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Gavok posted:

I wasn't watching WCW during this time. What happened?

The two were feuding at the time of his death and the next Monday night they showed an "in memory of graphic" and then later on in the show Schiavone said something about "our thoughts and prayers are with his family etc" and then Zbysko said "I'd let you know how I felt about Spicolli but out of respect to his family I'll keep my mouth shut."

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Hudson posted:

I wonder whatever happened to that Women's Title that Madusa dropped in the trash.

Probably got taken to a landfill sometime that week.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Hudson posted:

I also remember when the nWo did a live conversion of the WCW Nitro set to an nWo one and the ratings during that time just nose dived.

It was like 20+ minutes of newly converted nWo stage workers busting their rear end.

It was on 24/7 not too long ago and god drat I thought people were exaggerating but yup they spent 20+ minutes on primetime television striking a set.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

I would like to see the WWE or even TNA do a monster sized tournament. No 8 Man Tournament. A big huge one where it engulfs the show into nothing but Tournament matches. We all love Beat the Clock, so I think this would be good in giving us an excuse to watch good wrestling matches.

This was what WrestleMania IV was and I don't care what anyone says, it was awesome :colbert:

But yeah it would be more awesome now because there are a lot more good workers on the roster.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

CVagts posted:

And then the first time he made an appearance, he slammed the gimmick and bitched out the writers for making him a joke.

As opposed to when he used to quote movies and try to gently caress Razor Ramon.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Either way it's still bullshit because he gave Hogan vs. Andre from WMIII -****

spergin bout star ratings itt

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

New Blood Rising is on 24/7 and if you want a really good sampling of all the things that made WCW unwatchable in 2000 that's a pretty good place to start.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

If you think anything on those PPVs holds a candle to the worst of New Blood Rising, you're drunk.

It wasn't even like "oh this is bad booking I am not enjoying it." I was actually angry as I was watching it.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I will say this much for WCW: 3 Count was a loving perfect name for a wrestling boy band.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

I think the closest we will be getting is Cheech and Chong if they do the hosting in character.

Well I mean they're gonna be two old stoners soooooo. . .

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

El Axo Grande posted:

WWE just swooped down and picked the handful that made it to the top of pile.

Or at least the ones who belonged at the top of the pile but weren't there because WCW was loving stupid.

I'm pretty much talking specifically about Chris Jericho, although there are others.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

I don't understand why they have Benoit on the WCW title history. WCW erased his reign after he left the company. WWE inserted it back into history when they bought WCW, so why not just erase it again? It isn't even being dishonest.

My guess is that no one cares enough to even notice.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

The only thing I didn't like about the N64 games was that if your guy's finisher was a submission move instead of being able to just apply it you would have to grapple and do a powerbomb and then the finisher.

It's really nitpicky but dammit if I'm Chris Jericho I just wanna put people in the Liontamer while they're on the ground.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

coconono posted:

based on that prank call to Nattie Neidhart on the Tom Greene show, I'd have to say Nattie is pretty loving crazy.

Do what now?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

The fake Hogan head is one of my favorite wrestling moments ever.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

My guess it that that always happened because either A: Turner couldn't be as lenient about overruns as USA always has been or B: that's what WCW thought cliffhangers were. Probably a little of both actually.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Cromulent posted:

Raw was literally in high-school gyms

No it wasn't.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

The WWF just tried to make a new star at King of the Ring 95, in fact they tried to make the biggest star in the history of wrestling at that PPV.

Do you think that Austin won the 95 KotR or that they were trying to make Mabel the biggest star ever?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I had also considered that possibility, but I thought "lol he fat" wasn't really MRP's style.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Saul Goode posted:

He's the "biggest draw in the world" and the world doesn't care about wrestling anymore, that's all the data I need. Wrestling will never go into a boom period with John Cena as the marquee name, just like it never went into a boom period with Bret Hart as the man. It's not a cyclical business because fans mysteriously come and go, it's cyclical because we go through long periods of having lovely 'draws' getting shoved down our throats to the exclusion of guys who could genuinely bring about a resurgence in wrestling's popularity.

Bret Hart was like, the worst example you could have used.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

VogeGandire posted:

To be fair, it's cruel to compare any commentary team to Gorilla/Heenan.

Bobby was the absolute man but I always felt like Gorilla and Jesse had unbelievable chemistry.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Paul has also claimed that some bereaved wrestling fans would ask for pictures of Paul Bearer with their loved one's casket.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

oatgan posted:

Why is a fairly new to wrestling DDP taking on The Bootyman who debuted three weeks ago in a retirement match?

Did I miss the blood feud that set up that match???

If memory serves it was a feud over Kimberly Page aka The Booty Babe.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

What was that show that aired after Raw that was like a table discussion (I think?) and sometimes Weird Al was on it? I'm sorry for my hazy recollection of it but hopefully that's enough detail for someone to give me an answer because it's driving me kinda nuts now.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Here's a Sting HOF related question:

Why did Foley get voted in the Observer HOF and not Sting?

Foley was never really a top guy in WWF or WCW, but I'm not really familiar enough with his Japanese career to know if he drew there.

I just don't really see that big of a difference between Mick and Sting.

My guess is that it's because Foley has a long list of excellent (or at least very memorable) matches that Sting does not.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Inaugural PSPHOF inductee has to be the Stro. I didn't even watch Mountain State and I know that.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Not to reopen this can of worms but to me, someone like, say, Kevin Steen who's really popular and has good matches, is more HOF-worthy than, say, Jey Uso.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Sure, but nobody's making a HOF case for Jey Uso. The in/out line for modern WWE guys looks like it's going to settle somewhere in the Edge or Randy Orton range.

I'd be inclined to agree. I was just responding to the question about whether being in WWE makes you, by default, a better HoF candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

laz0rbeak posted:

And again, I do think he was mis-used, because I think he could've worked with guys like Benoit and Eddy rather than Curt Hennig and Randy Savage, but I just don't agree that he should've been the top guy in the company just because he was a very good worker.

"Very good worker" is more credentials than most WCW main event guys could muster up at that point.

If your argument is "Bret couldn't work as a top face in WCW because WCW wouldn't know how to do it" then yeah I'm on board but to act as if it was a foregone conclusion because of some shortcoming of Bret's or some sort of disconnect between him and the fans is kinda silly. If you we're a wrestling fan in 1998, you knew who Bret Hart was.