Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still mad I missed my mid-2000s shot at raising 100 million dollars with my MMO World of Wegivemichaelbuffer100milliondollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, there's always an uneasy undercurrent to watching Benoit matches now, but there's no denying the guy was just incredible in the ring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure it was Jericho who did that to him :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope he was bellowing with manly laughter the entire time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was never a huge Luger fan, but it still baffles me that in the middle of that "Sting is gone for a year" angle, they had Luger defeat Hogan for the title to a GIGANTIC pop and within a week he'd lost the title and looked like a loving idiot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I will never forget The Night of 1000 Stings, one of the best things WCW ever did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRrXyrjUSk&t=190s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Bischoff is the rare bullshitter who, when presented with evidence, can occasionally say "huh. Guess I was wrong," then continues to bullshit.

The one that really blew me away was RD Reynolds realized after their panel on Death of WCW that Bischoff had literally never read the book but had just spent a couple hours talking poo poo about it, and that he thought Dave Meltzer was the co-writer instead of Bryan Alvarez. When Reynolds called him on it, Bischoff insisted that Meltzer WAS the co-writer and when shown direct evidence that he wasn't, basically just shrugged and said it made no difference to his argument anyway.

Then they walked away into a rainbow holding hands* so everything was all right :)

* Dramatization, may not have happened

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Maybe it was Death of WCW. Dave shouldn't have written it.

Biggest mistake of Dave's life, agreed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave Meltzer said recently on a WOR that Bobby Heenan DID know that Hogan was gonna be the third man, which ruins my long-held belief that years of constantly claiming Hogan was up to something finally paid off when he wasn't expecting it to :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved Right To Censor v:shobon:v

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lid posted:

they wanted a boycott of The Muppets

Huh, and I didn't believe it when I was told one day I'd hear of a crime so heinous that I'd actually want the people who did it to get the death penalty....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Somebody told Vince back in 2001 that now that he owned WWE and WCW, he had brought the two companies together into the biggest union in wrestling history.

"A union eh? We'll see about that!" declared Vince, and promptly set about trying to run this "union" out of business no matter what it took.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just realized that now only Sting survives from those who were invited to a party......

AT THE WHITE CASTLE OF FEAR!

:smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Mark wasn't the best at the technical wrestling game, but I could watch him wail on fools every episode of Raw.

Edit: dug out the gameday thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438079

Match reactions start on this page, what a wonderful trip down memory lane :)

Henry's recent appearance on Steve Austin's podcast was really great too, and uhhh, to bring this back to WCW kinda, he talks mad poo poo about Big T!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No wonder this magazine went out of business!

Edit: Wait, it didn't? Impossible!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

Tully's face is so loving weird. I dont know what he did to actually look like a normal person in his old age

I think his face just naturally suits being lean, and I gotta say while obviously he isn't jacked anymore I think it's great how healthy and fit he looks for his age now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know it's similar to the Savage/Steamboat match where it was meticulously plotted out, but just like that match it doesn't matter because it loving owned: The Goldberg vs DDP match was incredible and was the first time I realized Goldberg wasn't just an (incredibly exciting) explosive squash machine but one hell of an athlete as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Even then they managed to gently caress it up for a lot of people by one of the cable carriers cutting off the end of the match because they hadn't organized for the overrun :sigh:

From memory they did replay the entire thing the next night on Nitro at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RULES ARE FOR FOOLS!

Also don't pirate our PPV, you could face a large fine or time in prison.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Blank stares, silence from the crowd.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I suspect that any good story Russo ever wrote just by complete coincidence probably involved one or both of Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock, who incidentally are two of the biggest and most naturally charismatic/entertaining stars in pro-wrestling history.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah. God it was so loving cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hacksaw owned when I was a kid and I have to say that there has been a certain fascination with seeing him NEVER change his gimmick at all and somehow remain exactly as over for the entire rest of his career.