Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

LightsGameraAction posted:

Treating WCW as its own promotion would have had the same problem as if they tried to treat ECW as their own- no matter how much they tried to, they could never cover up the fact that it was no under Vince's umbrella.

If only they could have temporarily renamed the shows... I would have loved to see RAW on Monday, Nitro on Thursday, and ECW on Sundays. It wouldn't have to be forever, it could have been a short term thing. It could have built up to Wrestlemania dream matches! Instead we got that lovely Survivor Series match...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Stringer_Bell posted:

My favorite part is that Bischoff can't see Mirror Warrior. Not only does Warrior have the power to travel inside of mirror world, he selectively chooses who can see him.

What made it worse is that the announcers could see Warrior too, so only Bischoff couldn't see him...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Perry Normal posted:

I'll be happy if there comes a time when I can see him on old Raws and Nitros he was in on the On Demand service. That'd be enough for me.

Do they seriously cut all his segments out of Nitro and Raw on Classic On Demand? That is so lame... no wonder why some of those have felt kind of short for a 2 hour program.

After looking over the WCW Title history, April and May of 2000 look extremely hosed up. 9 World Title changes in 2 months? Seems that stripping all the champions of their titles was probably the wost idea ever at the time.

Edit: okay, I'm reading the descriptions of all this stuff, and I'm remembering details I completely forgot.

4/10 - Nitro - All titles stripped from all wrestlers
4/16 - Spring Stampeed - Jarrett wins his first World Title defeating DDP after Kim turns on him
4/24 - Nitro - DDP defeats Jarrett in a steel cage match to win the title.
4/25 - Thunder - David Arquette pins Eric Bishoff to win the World Title
5/7 - Slamboree - Arquett turns on DDP and allows Jarrett to win the World Title
5/15 - Nitro - Flair defeats Jarrett for the Title
5/22 - Nitro - Russo strips Flair of the title and gives it to Jarrett making him a three time champion in over a months time.
5/24 - Thunder - Nash defeats Steiner and Jarrett for the title.
5/29 - Nitro - Nash gives the title to Flair
5/29 - Nitro - Jarrett defeats Flair to become a 4 time champion

When you actually read it all in a row like that it's ridiculous

Edit 2:

SO many entries are filled with somebody vacating the title or giving up the title, and a lot of them don't even make sense.

Look at Bret's reign at the end of 1999. What as the point of beating Goldberg at Starrcade, vacating the title, beating Goldberg AGAIN to win the title, then vacating it again? Then Benoit wins the title, the title reign is erased from WCW history, Sid wins the title by defeating Nash, is stripped of it by Nash, then beats Nash again to win the title? WTF?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 30, 2011

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Akileese posted:

The first two times they lost the tag titles at PPVs, their opponents were stripped the very next loving night and they were given the belts back. The crazy thing? This happened BACK TO BACK MONTHS!

You can do that once throughout the life of a title reign but nope! Back to back PPVs! More proof that their PPVs just continually built up free TV.

Like I said above, I never realized just how much WCW stripped people of titles.

And seriously, what is the point of stripping a title from somebody only for them to get it back an earn another official title reign?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't get why so many people complain that they gave away Hogan/Goldberg for free on NItro. Never in my life have I called a company stupid for giving me something for free... it could have been built better, yes, but I think that aspect of it was sort of cool in the sense that it made you want to tune in each week because anything could happen.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The only build was JJ Dillon coming out on Thunrder and announcing it. According to Goldberg that was the first he heard of the title shot too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MassRayPer posted:

You know what, I will complain about Goldberg vs Hogan on free TV. Hot shotting that angle made for bad TV the next few months. Goldberg went from having US title level feuds for the US title to US title level feuds for the World title. It made for bad TV and made the title look so secondary to the Hogan vs celebrities sagas.

But putting Goldberg vs Jobbers for the WHC at the top of Hour 1 of Nitro would have happened after a big build or not...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Skinty McEdger posted:

The WWE channel has been pretty much a negotiating tool for years. You'll notice that they bring up the subject whenever they are having problems with broadcasters over schedualing or content. It's the corprate "we'll take our ball home if you don't play our way."

Thats not to make me think they won't eventually end up doing it. At some point someone will call their bluff and because Vince is a manchild who will never back down the channel will come into being.

I would imagine what they would get per subscriber across cable and satellite providers for a whole channel would be much more than whatever they are making with WWE On Demand on JUST Comcast/Xfinity.

It's something around 10 cents to 20 cents per month I think.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So has anybody picked up the Very Best of WCW DVD that came out the other week?

I really hope that they keep making these WCW DVDs, they're awesome... I actually have been watching a collection of the complete 1997 year of WCW. I've gotten though about 1 month every week just on my daily commute to work on the train. I started watching WCW Back in September/October 1997, so a lot of this is brand new to me.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I would think that the plan would be to make a WWE channel on cable and air that stuff on that. They'd get something like 10 cents per subscriber if they watch the channel or not, and would most likely make a bunch more money than with their 24/7 service. On Demand in general is horrible. The interface is laggy and non intuitive, and it's limited to the amount of programming is so limited as it is. I had a free trial for a month of 24/7, loved it, but often forgot I had it because it's so tucked away.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

There are a lot of factors at play here. WWE no longer has rights to some themes used in wcw, some of the tapes probably need to be restored, on top of the fact that they would risk cannibalizing current DVD sales. You also have to remember that there are some things WWE just don't want us to see again.

It's sad watching Nitro on 24/7 and not being able to recall Goldberg's original entrance music...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
When did Hogan start using Voodoo Child for his entrance music? I'm watching the Best of Nitro DVD, and I'm having trouble remembering if they just dubbed over it or if he only used it on PPVs and such.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Should I really be surprised while watching the Best of Nitro DVD that they took out even the smallest mention of Benoit? I even went back to a VHS recording to confirm it on some occasions.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The final Nitro set is so incredibly ugly... and then they even used it for all the PPVs too. Is there an actual reason for this, like not enough money in the budget to assemble and break down the big set with the moving logo and video wall?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blunt posted:

I never followed WCW...does anyone have pictures of the set's your talking about? GIS turns some up but I have know idea which one is from which period...

They started using it on the April 10th, 2000 Nitro where Russo stripped all the titles from everybody

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Maybe this one is a little bit better

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I am still flabbergasted that no company has simply taken the mechanics of No Mercy/Revenge and just slapped modern graphics and updated movesets on it. It has the best finisher system to date, the simplest and most intuitive grappling system, and the KO feature. Its the best, and i still play it once or twice a year.

Ever play Def Jam Vendetta? It uses the AKI engine, and is a pretty decent Wrestling game for the PS2/Gamecube era. The engine still holds up, but the roster makes it unplayable.

triplexpac posted:

Raven did a lot better than Hardcore Hak.

Lance Storm did pretty well though... didn't he have 4 titles at one point? US, Cruiserweight, Hardcore, and... TV title? Or was that sometime after Scott Hall threw it in the trash and Jim Duggen found it?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I always wondered... was Sting injured in 1996 which is why he never wrestled and just did run ins during his crow persona transformation? Or was that intentionally done to build the epic build up to Starrcade against Hogan?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I decided I'm going to watch every Nitro, PPV, and maybe Thunder starting from the debut Nitro episode in September 1995 with these VHS recordings I have.

I'm only two months into it, but man did WCW start out rough... The Dungeon of Doom were horrible heels, and WCW didn't know how to promote a PPV at all. Considering I'm just watching Nitro and not Saturday Night, they didn't even tell you a single match that would be at War Games '95. They just kept saying "Hogan's Team will be a man down at War Games!", and the promos said something like "Hogan, Savage, Sting and Luger team up to defeat muscular dystrophy!". I kind of wish I could watch the Raw that was on opposite like with WWE 24/7, because I'd love to see what these shows were going up against at the time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So is the Death of WCW Book any good, the one by Wrestlecrap's R.D. Reynolds?

http://www.amazon.com/Death-WCW-WrestleCrap-Figure-Present/dp/1550226614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312078472&sr=8-1

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
wwf.com/wcw has an article up on The Demon

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/wherearetheynow/where-are-they-now-kiss-demon

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well I made my way through the Death of WCW Book. Was pretty good, although a bit too straight forward with the recapping or what happened on Nitro each week. I felt like it pretty much wrote off all the good stuff completely near the end.

Anyway, any other books similar to this to recommend? Amazon oddly enough recommends Bischoff's book "Controversy Creates Cash" which I never heard anything great about.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The thing that was awesome about Jericho/DDP/Raven's themes were that they were knockoffs, but still sounded awesome on their own.

Unlike Shane Douglas who;s WCW theme sounded like someone hosed up the intro of Perfect Strangers.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bobkatt013 posted:

That was such a great Bishoff idea. Completely ignoring the fact that spoilers will get out and wrestlers will get injured.

One of the first things Bischoff did when he took over WCW in 1993 was did massive amounts of taping in a row at MGM Studios to save money. This was during the incident where Sid stabbed Arn Anderson with a pair of scissors and was fired.... but all this happened after the TV tapings where Sid had already won the World Title, and I think they just had to scrap the matches. There was also the snafu where Austin and Pillman were supposed to drop the tag titles to the horsemen at a live Clash of the Champions to reflect the TV tapings. When Pillman was injured, Regal had to defend the titles with Austin in order for the title change to happen.

Of course back in 1993 internet spoilers were not as readily available as they are now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mohammeds Radio posted:

The best of Nitro DVD is on Netflix now, I watched the DDP/Sting title match they have on there and it was really, really good, probably DDP's best match, and after the match was over DDP popped up doing his DVD host thing then said something about even though he lost that match, he got the title back later that night.

WCW :argh:

Guh, and i paid full money for that. I find it very strange that they are putting full WWE DVDs on Netflix, but just streaming only. You can't rent a disc for a lot of the streaming only titles.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Knowing that they gave out free tickets to Nitro, I really wish I went down to the arenas and got free tickets. While wearing a WWF shirt so they gave me a free Goldberg shirt to put over it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The contrast between WCW Saturday Night & Pro vs. Nitro was totally night and day in early 1996. While Nitro was dominated by Hogan and Savage vs. The Horsemen and Dungeon of Doom every week, the weekend shows were filled with enhancement matches under a few minutes each. Having just watched from September to the end of February over the past month, Nitro was so horrible compared to Raw, I'm surprised they won the ratings war at all.

In a way I'm really glad the Monday NIght Ward did away with enhancement matches. How the heck did I sit through this poo poo as a kid? I was like the typical die hard wrestling fan, I watched even the crappy weekend shows.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Putting on a free show (like at Disney) costs a lot of money, so you have to tape as much as possible for it to make sense. The WWF would do basically the same thing for a long time, and did so into the Monday Night Wars. What the WWF used to do is film about 3-4 weeks worth of TV in one night (mostly squash matches) with interview segments throughout. What WCW did with Disney would be to tape 3-4 weeks at one show, but then tape the next 3-4 weeks the following show. Meaning they would tape 6-8 weeks worth of matches and angles in 2 nights!

From a business standpoint, it makes sense. It's cheaper and there is less wear and tear on the wrestlers.

It doesn't make sense though when you have injuries and other live events in between all the tapings. you can't got 8 weeks into TV tapings when so many things can change.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Oh god, I've gotten up to the Nitro where Kevin Sullivan brings out "The Final Solution"...

Lone Rogue posted:

And even then (while I'm ranting), gently caress people who completely hate Sid. Sid was over as gently caress. ECW smarks used to hate on him all of the time but the moment he stepped into an ECW Arena they marked out like loving school girls. Sid is better than you.

I distinctly remember a PPV where Sid beat Justin Credible by DQ and then Sid leaving the promotion shortly after. DQs in ECW? loving ridiculous. I remember reading something about Sid not wanting to be pinned by Credible on his way out, so the match ended in DQ.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I remember Tony Schiavone selling Sid's streak as legitimate, and just being pissed about how stupid they thought their fans were to not catch on.

But for all I know, WCW Worldwide every week would have been Sid in 20 matches pinning jobbers, I never watched that poo poo...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lone Rogue posted:

Tony had a way of sounding really fake as he put over storylines, but he was honestly better than people give him credit for. Or maybe I just have a soft spot for the announcers who do everything they can to put a product over.

His commentary was comical to a point. Every night was the greatest night in the history of the sport...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am finally getting up to Uncensored 1996 and the Doomsday Cage Match. I can find no better example of why wrestlers should not have creative control in their contracts.

Tony Schiavone closes out the night... "This is great television history. I've never seen a match like this on television. I've never seen anything like this. It surpasses the Super Bowl, the World Series, anything you want to name! This is tremendous!"

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 30, 2011

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I started doing the same thing, but I am watching the Raws too. Nitro gets old pretty quick until Hall and Nash arrive and they make the show two hours. Its like they didnt want to take any time to promote the PPVs or the undercard, so every week the show was domnated with rhe Dungeon of Doom vs Hogan.

Slamboree '96 was the worst PPV I've ever seen. The doomsday cage match at Uncensored at least had some reedeming qualities about it since it was so horrible. Slamboree was just awful from start to finish.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My favorite memory of Nitro was when TONS of fake Stings kept coming from the crowd, only to go down with a single hit, until it was revealed that one of them was the real sting and then cleared out the ring. It was brilliant.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The American Dream posted:

If you haven't read Jericho's book, he wanted Goldberg to squash the poo poo out of him for the payoff but Goldberg was mad because he was on vacation for the PPV so he refused to do it. Also he didn't "get" what Jericho was doing in the feud.

Fall Brawl would be considered a "Big 4" event for WCW right. Basically their Royal Rubmle in the road to Starrcade.

How was Jericho even allowed to go out there any do that stuff if there wasn't going to be a payoff to it? I know, WCW, but still...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Skinty McEdger posted:

For a while they took away the announcers monitors for one reason or another, so not only did they not see some of the backstage segments but during clusterfuck matches they had no idea what the camera was focusing on.

I always thought it must suck to be an announcer at ringside and have to stare into a monitor the whole time... at least it made sense when the Nitro booth was all the way in the back and facing the opposite direction of the ring.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just got up to Hog Wild 96 in my attempt to watch the entire monday night wars from the debut of Nitro.

Was there any reason why Nitro was outside at Disney every single week during this time? I'd imagine that the outdoor Nitros was probably why those Glacier promos kept running on forever, because they wanted to do his cool snow entrance.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I saw this posted yesterday, haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

The Wrestler: The Scott Hall Story - ESPN Video

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

triplexpac posted:

I just watched the scene where Russo & Bischoff rebooted Nitro and vacated all the titles, complete with "What's the matter Sid, forget your SCISSORS?"

As stupid as it was, I kind of wish WWE would do the same sort of thing. I could really go for a refresh of some sort. Like when they first did the brand split & draft, everything felt new.

I disagree, there were so many things wrong with how they did that... There was no real reason to strip everybody of all the titles. The WHC was vacated 8 times within a year, it was just ridiculous and it helped contribute to how little the belt actually meant.

While this is not the complete history, it was just ridiculous how often people were stripped/awarded the World Heavyweight Championship
Oct 1999 - Sting vacates the title after Halloween Havoc after controversial finish with Goldberg
Dec 1999 - Bret vacates the title after Starrcade after controversial finish with Goldberg
Jan 2000 - Bret wins back the title, vacates the title due to Injury
Jan 2000 - Benoit vacates the title after Souled Out due to leaving/controversial finish with Sid
Jan 2000 - Sid vacates the title after controversial finish where he pinned the wrong Harris Brother (don't ask).
Jan 2000 - Nash awards himself the title
Apr 2000 - Sid vacates the title after the Russo Reboot.
May 2000 - Arquette pins Bishoff, wins WHC
May 2000 - Flair stripped of title by Russo
May 2000 - Jarrett awarded the title by Russo
May 2000 - Nash awards Flair the title
July 2000 - Hogan wins the title from Jarrett, leaves the company with it after being "Fired", Russo nullifies the match
July 2000 - Booker T wins the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Arbite posted:

How?

That wasn't even the worst part of the match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgcCUsTrc8&t=13m9s