Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Is there anyone else who remembers the Stevie Ray promo on Thunder where he was ripping on DDP and just began stammering out insults in a combination so hilarious it left me (and hopefully you, too!) in tears?

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was in the spring of 1999, in an interview in the ring with Mean Gene...

"You low-down, dirty, no-good, modern-day, beatnik....FRUIT BOOTY!"

Then Okerlund follows it up as only he can, with an incredulous "FRUIT BOOTY?!?"

Stevie Ray definitely used that term a bit when he started commentating a little bit later, but that was its birth. And it was glorious.

I have never seen it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Let's slapjack some fruit booties!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byeiOBmtqxo

oh my god. You are the greatest SA poster ever. I just wanna give you a hug right now. :3:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I know much of this thread is dedicated to the bad things WCW did. Hell, I just got done recounting/requesting one of the more hilarious random moments I could remember. But they also did some great stuff, and not just necessarily with the awesome undercard matches of the late 90s. Basically, I have three words for you.

Average carpentry skills.

e: looking at the related videos sums up WCW pretty well. First, there's one that says "Curt Hennig joins The Four Horsemen, 8/25/97" and a few spots down, another video titled "Curt Hennig joins the nWo, 9/14/97"

Not to mention how they hyped up a big surprise/mystery for like two months prior to the 6/30/97 Nitro, which was Hennig debuting -- and doing absolutely nothing of note. I seriously think he came out during a brawl and stood at ringside, noncommittal.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 19, 2012

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Just a reminder: when watching Silver King matches on old WCW shows, do not be fooled by his stocky physique.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The highlight for me was finding out that Bulldog smoked crack before the famous summerslam match, and bret had to carry him.

I know I shouldn't be surprised by anything in the wrestling business, but :stare:

I need to read Bret's book. Read both Foley books and the Rock's book (the latter being toilet reading fodder, whereas I read both of Foley's in a short amount of time because I was gobbling up all the info). Going to have to look into some of these other ones.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ColeM posted:

Yeah he talks a lot about the drug usage in the industry during his entire career. Lots of sad stories and some not surprising. Did you know that 3 out of 5 members of the Hart Foundation in 1997 were massive drug addicts? But he does talk a lot about his drug usage too so its not entirely one sided.

I assumed that many of them were (I knew Bulldog and Pillman both had documented drug problems, though the crack + SS 92 reveal was something I didn't know). Out of Owen, Bret and Neidhart, I wouldn't have been surprised if all of them were, honestly. :(

Outside of the aforementioned "Bulldog smokes rocks" story, something I found the most surprising was that he didn't make Hogan out to be a terrible person per se....but just as an extremely selfish dick. Hulk would still dress with the boys, and did lots of charity work at least. The Ultimate Warrior, though.....man that guy sounds like a piece of trash. Telling Make-A-Wish kids to gently caress off is pretty awful. He sounded like he was an awful human being. It's not surprising that to this day he's pretty much universally hated by everyone in the industry.

Warrior has to be handicapped by the fact that he's totally insane. Those Destrucity rants he used to post on his old website were like reading work by the loving Unibomber. Doesn't excuse poo poo with the Make-A-Wish kids (admittedly I don't know these stories), but the guy has been off his rocker for decades.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 25, 2012

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I always knew Bret was into being shirtless (seriously, watching Wrestling With Shadows and count up how many minutes the guy actually has a shirt on), but this pissing thing is news to me.

Not sure if it makes me want to read his book more or less.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

thefncrow posted:

You mentioning that reminds me that I think I might still have WrestlingWithShirts.txt somewhere on my home computer.

:woop:

Mex would be The Best Poster if he had a forums account. I guarantee you that Tony Schiavone, Little League Dad would have been an even bigger hit here. :)

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Norman Smiley putting Pepe in a woodchipper was pretty drat great, too.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

They Live is pretty much considered a cult classic, at this point, from what I can tell. Plus, it was made by John Carpenter. He made Halloween! It's far more of a 'legit' movie and definitely the best movie ever made starring a professional wrestler. Plus the ending is fantastic.

I came here to chew bubblegum and to kick rear end, and I'm all outta bubblegum.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Wolfpac was was pretty much a hit from the get-go. Very over.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

:siren: RIKI RACHTMAN SIGHTING :siren:

e: 6 a.m. is the Thunder where Stevie Ray calls DDP a low-down, dirty, no good, modern day beatnik fruit booty! :allears:

nasboat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 23, 2012

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I know it's tied in with most of the beatdowns, but I'd like to know how many eps had a guy getting spraypainted with the nWo logo (or a yellow stripe, which I think Luger and Savage both got) in the final segment of the show.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Deadpool posted:

nWo beat down. alot.

clearly this is one case where it's not hyperbole to say that Nitro ended with an nWo beatdown every week. jesus. that's a crazy list to look at, even as someone who watched each of those episodes live.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Frot Lesnar posted:

I hope it is like 30 for 30 on ESPN and we get documentaries on El Dandy and Silver King.

and Hector Garza tearing his scrotum in an air-conditioning-unit mishap

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

If Hulk Hogan were locked in a mystical cavern and choked by monsters I would watch every week.

we were like halfway there with this week's episode of Impact

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Cromulent posted:

Every PPV was "listen for free" for me, since my cable company just scrambled the video of PPV feeds.

I had Scramblevision for years, it blew my mind as a kid. Then a short time after we moved to a different town, the local cable company stopped carrying PPVs or cut off the scrambled channel, so that was gone.

Listened to some legendary shows that way. I could make out enough of the Undertaker in his Survivor Series '90 debut to be able to tell it was "Mean" Mark Callous from NWA. I probably got to listen to every PPV between 1989-1992. So great.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Schiavone got worse as time went on. His habit of calling everything a "sidewalk slam" was pretty annoying.

Still better than Vince, though.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I hope a copy of this is being held up by a magnet on Tank Abbott's mom's refrigerator.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Felony posted:

Looking back on things Monsoon himself was not very good. The only reason he is so highly regarded is because he had the two best color men of all time working with him. Go watch some of Monsoon's work with other guys like Lord Alfred Hayes. Gorilla's weaknesses are much more apparent when he is the one carrying the commentary team.

WILL YOU STOP?

I do not want to taint my memories of Gorilla. :(

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Shiki Dan posted:

It's really fun to speculate on "What If".
How the Monday Night Wars would've turned out if Austin had worked for All-Japan/ECW instead of WWF.

I still believe WWF would have won. The battle would have just been drawn out a little longer.
The Attitude Era would have still occurred, just with the WWF pushing Ken Shamrock in the place of Austin for most 1997, followed by Rock and Foley later.
Shamrock would've gotten the big WM14 push instead of Austin. Mainstream media goes nuts over the Shamrock/Mike Tyson teased confrontation to build the hype. Shawn still gets injured in the casket match (the timing of that injury seems to be fated), thus all of the pieces post-WM14 mostly fall into the same place.

I can almost guarantee the mainstream media would not have cared. Also, business would not have been nearly as hot at the time (for WWF) if Stone Cold hadn't existed, so I don't see everything falling into place after WM14 like it did. Austin was the reason that stuff happened, you can't expect Shamrock to fill in and everything just skyrocket like it did with him.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Smoking Giant was hilariously awesome and perhaps the best thing Big Show has ever done.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Rad R. posted:

Do you guys remember the Adventures of the nWo B-Team? I've been trying to find them for a while now, looks like there's a ScoopThis fanpage on Facebook, and it features all the B-Team's adventures.

http://on.fb.me/12hQLhg

Wow, now there's a blast from the past. I used to think these were hilarious back in 1999. Sadly, they don't seem to be as funny as 17-year-old me seemed to think they were.

Still, good find!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

yeah I definitely remember hearing Jericho's original WCW theme (when he was generic babyface) on SportsCenter multiple times

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Timbers Jim posted:

Wasn't there a period where they tested out a "darker" hogan prior to his turn? Like he was still a face but now they had given him some sort of anti-hero crap and he wore more black clothing

Yeah that was going on a couple of months prior to this. If you read back in the thread I think some of the other Observer updates touched on it.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Walking Tall wasn't a bad way to kill 90 minutes or so. I certainly didn't regret watching it or anything.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

let's be honest, cocaine deserves EP credit on a lot of things in Hollywood.

it's cocaine.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

that show featured (a drunken?) Brian Knobbs driving around the family property on a golf cart

that's all I remember, and all that needs to be said, really

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

There's a part in that Pillman piece that I wanted to ask about.

Meltzer posted:

Around Labor Day, Ross ordered him to take a drug test. He went nuts, admitting he was taking pain pills, just like everyone else in the company, because he believed it was impossible to be a pro wrestler without them. He was vehement about being picked on, particularly because it was by Ross, who in his deluded mind, he saw as a close friend who betrayed him. He insisted he was doing nothing nobody else wasn't doing, and claimed Shawn Michaels, one of the company's biggest stars, was worse off than he was, but was politically untouchable for some reason. He said he had never gone on television so loaded he couldn't perform, noting another top star had done so twice in recent weeks, with impunity.

Who was he referring to here? The way it's written implies that it's someone other than Michaels. This is placed around Labor Day of 1997, so I'm guessing maybe Bulldog? If you wanna call him a top star. He was part of the Hart Foundation/Austin angle that was huge at that time, and feuding with HBK over the Euro title.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

I think Road Warrior Hawk if I have the time period correct

this makes sense. I was thrown off by 'top star' because I really limit my thinking there, but yeah....within a year they were making angles out of it.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Bard Maddox posted:

My favorite WCW wrestler was Glacier. Who's yours?

Judy Bagwell.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I was a fan of Hole In One Darsow.

seriously.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Wasn't that Stuart Pain?

at first, then Hole-In-One Darsow (and according to Wikipedia, later 'Putting' Barry Darsow, but I don't remember that one).

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

The time that Juventud excitedly exclaimed "Lex Luger, he got the juice!" on Thunder was hilarious.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Gaylord Plower posted:

Somehow in all the confusion last week I totally missed Hulk Hogan asking Randy Savage to give up his title shot because ahahahahaaa

This is understandable because all I remember is Hogan saying "BROTHER/DUDE" every two seconds, and the fans booing him

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

boring babyface Alex Wright was terrible, it wasn't until he started using his dance as a heel maneuver that he really began to shine

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Tony was a shithead, is the short answer. His contempt for Heenan wanting to honor Gorilla Monsoon is a favorite example, but that was later in his tenure and I am positive there are more examples that our resident historians can cite.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

There was also the time they signed Mikey Whipwreck, didn't do anything with him and then forgot they signed him.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

oldpainless posted:

and everytime you got close to finishing a dish the waiter took it away saying "we're outta time!"

Personally, I like the idea of yelling "we're outta time, WE GOTTA GO!" and then pulling a dine-and-dash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Hey now, you guys make fun of Sting and the roof stuff but at the time (at least before the Owen thing made it uncomfortable in retrospect) it was THE poo poo and drat near everything up to the actual Starrcade match was fantastic booking.

I certainly hope no one is making GBS threads on the Sting rafters gimmick itself, because quite frankly that was one of the hottest angles WCW ever ran (before ruining the big blowoff).