Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

MassRayPer posted:

Nitro in 97 was indeed incredible. One of my fondest memories of wrestling will always be JJ Dillon asking Sting what he wanted and Sting not speaking. Instead he pointed his bat at a fan in the crowd with a sign that read: "JJ: STING WANTS HOGAN!"

obvious staged sign, but that's hilarious and awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

For you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9qHYVHJZKs

At 1:58, some guy kisses his belt

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Skinty McEdger posted:

Strangely enough GLAAD wasn't annoyed at the Lenny and Lodi angle itself. They felt that it was being used as retaliation by WCW for their complaints over Konnan and Rey's repeated use of the word 'human being' on nitro on the way to the ring. It was the complaints over this that made Turner look closer at the WCW product and put pressure on the booking staff to kill any angle that may be contraversal.

Rey yelling human being? This I need to see.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Wouldn't Vampiro burst into flames, being a vampire and all? And I really don't think that holy water would do much for the two dudes in grease makeup, either.

Oh wait, WCW

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I've made Target jokes too, and I still find them funny, but it's kind of a shame that we laugh at people who move on with their lives after wrestling.

Shane Douglas spotted

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

millardo72 posted:

That junkyard match reminds me way too much of the fight scene in Anchorman.

Hak: Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast!
Finlay: It jumped up a notch.
Hak: It did, didn't it?
El Dandy: Yeah, I crushed a man.
Hak: I saw that! El Dandy killed a guy! Did you throw him in a car crusher?
El Dandy: Yeah, there were fences, and a car on fire, and I killed a guy in a compactor.
Hak: El Dandy, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should probably find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Save Russian Jews posted:

While we're discussing Kanyon...

I'm so glad I didn't cancel my myspace account.

EDIT: To explain his last comment, I think my display name was "better looking than your boyfriend" at that point in time. Apparently it was true sometimes.

you betta than kanyon

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

I clicked on this hoping to find a montage of WCW's dumbest moments.

Instead I get a kid who is going to be the next big youtube sensation shooting on the history of WCW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-WnJ9dgKhA I have no idea if this is hilarious or not. He's wrong about so much.

That "Wooo" at the beginning made me crack up.

Then I turned it off.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Gonna blow a few minds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_SHrK408

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

I loved the ending to that match.

Bigelow missing his entrance
Goldberg mugging like mad
Hall no-selling the spear, jackknife, and stun gun to slowly and childishly stun Bigelow and Goldberg

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

THE FANS RECOGNIZE HIM, AND SO DOES HOGAN!

AND SO...SO DO WE ! ! !

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Critical posted:

HBK liked to piss in ring rat's mouths. Aaaand go.

Lita.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

There are no Robert Cops.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Who gayer than Kanyon

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

Today I realized I had never seen an Arachnaman match. Well now I have. Witness his cat like quickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2XN7MfiE4M

And now you have.

Isn't he the only Armstrong still with a contract with a fed?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Whoa, Mike Moran ripped off Bill DeMott!

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

evale posted:

So that fans can send Macho Man and Sting e-cards?

The CGI script used to send e-cards is down.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I was going through some old Nitros recently and came across an odd little episode where Raven's Flock surrounded the ring to get at Benoit or something.... and then suddenly Finlay comes running out of nowhere, beats the poo poo out of Benoit and then leaves.... and the Flock are just kind of standing there like,"Why the gently caress did Finlay just do that?"

You need to re-find that and post it, because that's amazing.

The closest thing today would be Nexus cornering Cena, Sheamus running in and beating the hell of him and leaving without comment, and then Nexus stomping Cena in their confusion

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Astro7x posted:

So is the Death of WCW Book any good, the one by Wrestlecrap's R.D. Reynolds?

http://www.amazon.com/Death-WCW-WrestleCrap-Figure-Present/dp/1550226614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312078472&sr=8-1

It's really good, and gives a good overall view of what went wrong. The details aren't 100% accurate, though.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMNDhmotEE&t=150s

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Perry Normal posted:

Second only to "Wrestling has consumed Chris Benoit's life!" in terms of retrospectively uncomfortable commentary.

I seem to remember somewhere around the Black Hart/Nugget time period that Vince commented on Owen's fall from grace.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Minges posted:

That reminds me of when I did backyard stuff (yes I know) and the best guy in our group started a stable with the worst two guys in our group.

"Why the gently caress do you want to be with them?"
"I don't have to wrestle them anymore."
"...:aaaaa:"

I remember that CM Punk commented John Cena's entrance into the Nexus was a great chance to avoid ever having to wrestle Otunga again.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

It seems like a fake. The person has no history, misspellings and no idea why they would have it.

Counterpoint: it's WCW

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2bJL09Y826c#t=182s

I am just going to leave this here.

Not that this is any sort of defense of Van Hammer, but there never was a second time that Van Hammer tried to throw Bull into the pool.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Suben posted:

That reminds me, there was a story in I think the old celebrity meetings thread that was in GBS where some dude talked about how Reese was, for some reason, an in-joke among him and his friends and they'd call into the WCW radio show (or internet show? something like that) and constantly pester the host about Reese/the Yeti. I wish I had the story myself.

I forget the original poster, but this is the quote:

" I used to call a WCW Internet radio show every week and ask them about this mummy-wrestler, The Yeti.* It was hosted by Mark Madden. Months later, Madden is hosting a Pittsburgh local show about the Penguins. A friend of mine in Pittsburgh gives me the number, and to Madden's shock and surprise, yes, I asked him if the Penguins would be signing the Yeti.

* Mean Gene Okerlund once told me to burn my telephone.
"

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

That era? Canada.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Rock probably didn't have the influence back then to refuse to work with a guy who was more or less on his level.

His last PPV match with HHH was December 1999 in the 6 man cell so maybe he did basically refuse to work with him once he got huge.
His last TV match with HHH was in early 2002 so he never worked with either once Shawn returned.

What about Judgment Day 2000?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

ColeM posted:

Yeah he talks a lot about the drug usage in the industry during his entire career. Lots of sad stories and some not surprising. Did you know that 3 out of 5 members of the Hart Foundation in 1997 were massive drug addicts? But he does talk a lot about his drug usage too so its not entirely one sided.

3 out of 5? It's assumed Owen was clean, but unless Bret was clean in 97 it was 4 out of 5.

:laffo: Or Pillman was other clean one :laffo:

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

DDP turned into Loree Bischoff

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Somehow I completely forgot about that 3MB match.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

I've never seen an exact figure, just a generic statement of "millions."

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Well, Buff Bagwell did always have a pretty thin beard.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

I'm watching that Legendary Hulk No-Sell, and holy crap he does the worst Figure 4 attempt ever at 1:54. Like, it makes The Miz look competent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wakh3VoZmCw&t=112s

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Rodney the Piper posted:

"Supposedly Hogan said "No more jobs.""

So what you're saying is that in 1996, Hulk Hogan created an alternate reality that resulted in the reduction of the wrestling fan population from millions to hundreds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I had this same thought haha

I wish I had the talent to illustrate a Hogan No More Jobs comic strip

I think the only one who could do it proper respect would be KC Green.