Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm pretty sure that's because WCW could no longer afford to license Voodoo Child at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

That was in 98. By the summer of 99 WCW's undercard, especially on PPV was a loving mess. WCW didn't have a single decent PPV in the second half of the year. They massacred the undercard and the main events were as awful as ever.

I actually watched Mayhem that year, I didn't think it was that bad of a PPV. Certainly better than all the poo poo that would come afterwards.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

My fondest memory of WCW as it neared death was how lovely the production became. The final Nitro set looks like a poor man's version of the 1997 RAW set, the production truck would always play the wrong theme song or miss cues for canned video, and just all sorts of other minor gaffes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I almost forgot that at the end of WCW, they made Juvi into a parody of The Rock.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

As bad as the Nitro/Thunder games were, they were at least charming in an arcadey kind of way. Mayhem and Backstage Assault were the worst things I've ever seen. Mayhem was kind of cool in that it had a PPV code thing, but the problem was that the roster was incomplete and a ton of dudes were fleeing to the WWF, so there weren't more than 2 events that actually used it. Also it was one of the first games I can remember with a shitload of commentary, but the game was so bad it was hard to notice.

Backstage Assault was even dumber and I'm trying to block it from memory.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 20, 2011

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

lol so Tank Abbot chokes Sting with some kind of cloth and lets him go, Sting then wraps it around his hand not seconds before he's attacked by 2 dogs?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Wasn't he also getting paid a shitload of money to sit on his rear end at one point? I'd stick around with a company that paid me to take a vacation too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm pretty sure in WCW if you requested pyro they'd give it to you. There were a few guys I recall who had zero reason for needing pyro and never reacted to it but they still got it.

I remember one of the crappy prelim guys that WCW loved to put out there (Mike Enos, Rick Fuller, one of those) had pyro for no explicable reason. Not sure which one it was but he was going to ring to job and had a pyro explosion. It was odd.

This is the one thing I hated about WCW even at it's height of popularity - they'd use so much pyro that by the end of the night there was a thick haze in the arena.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah Raw usually had the huge pyros at the start of the show, but other than Kane's entrance or some other guys I can't remember, they kept it toned down. They also seemed to run in bigger venues than WCW was near the end, which probably helps with dissipating the smoke.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The only Jeff Jarrett theme that matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7xS3uPwlM

God bless Jimmy Hart and his lovely ripoffs of real songs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

All I remember is somebody thought that Backstage Assault was a good idea for a pro wrestling game. And then they made it. And they sold it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

Average = AAA Title.

Back when Backstage Assault was released, the cost to design a videogame wasn't where it is today. However, it was EA and they probably put some good resources into it. Probably did some experimental body tracking or something silly like that for a crappy WCW title. I'm betting 500,000 was a break even point and they only sold 200,000.

Backstage Assault is just WCW Mayhem with the rings stripped out of the game. I'm pretty sure all the engine and all the character models are the same, so the initial cost of development was already taken care of.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Don't forget about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIubTlIIIJg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIFwexMHN0

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

DDP was awesome because of all those Diamond Cutter Variations that seemingly came out of nowhere.

Also yeah his match with Goldberg at Halloween Havoc was probably the only good Goldberg bout I've seen.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Astro7x posted:

WCW had some pretty horrible PPV promos, even for its time... usually it's acceptable to have a generic PPV promo that airs during the prior PPV, but WCW usually ran these right up until the event itself.

The two I have in mind right now are Spring Stampede 1997 and Slamboree 1997.

First, Spring Stampede: http://youtu.be/TV7Q3JQWtgo
This Spring Stampede promo just makes no sense at all. So who are these guys talking to? Who are they challenging? What the gently caress is Ric Flair talking about? Are we getting some sort of Horsemen main event? Nope... nothing at all. But look at that production value damnit!

Next month we get Slamboree 1997: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES7XkT5Arck
So generic (and badly cut) it could be a promo for WCW Worldwide. The main message I get out of this is "WCW has a lot of problems... *cuts to shots of the nWo and Hogan* there needs to be an ending!"

How did Mongo McMichael ever end up with the Horsemen? That guy was a terrible worker and on top of that he was a big tub of lard.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I went through the next 6 chapters of Russo's book. Highlights!

- The Harris brothers should have been huge stars. No one knew how to book them!

They were horrible workers and the only time they were tolerable was when they were Standards and Practices or some bullshit and they didn't cut promos or really do anything except for run-in to matches.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How did Nitro Spring Break become a thing? It seems like the dumbest idea ever and I don't see drunk college kids being a major pro wrestling audience. Same question goes to Ricki Rachtman and the Nitro parties they used to do - were those even a real thing?

My favorite, most enduring memory of WCW will be the final Nitro where they hosed up the live satellite link with Raw and had at least 1 or 2 entrance/video/graphics flubs during the broadcast. I am not sure how a company that is receiving gobs of free cash from Turner's empire could manage to gently caress up show production, but by god they managed to do it frequently.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Didn't Lanny Poffo get paid a bunch of money to sit around and do nothing?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Was WCW ever a profitable company during the Turner-owned years? It seems like Bischoff's obsession with ratings relative to Raw really missed the forest for the trees.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's too bad the 3 Count thing didn't come until WCW was on death's door, because Tank was legitimately funny as their superfan.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Back then I didn't have money so I just put the TV onto the scrambled PPV and just listened to the audio of the event.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bischoff had 2 themes, a lovely nWo one that I think got used a handful of times and then that one song from Desperado. I actually had a bootleg CD that was an NWO Japan soundtrack that featured that awful Bischoff theme, including a hilarious ripoff of Voodoo Child for Hulk Hogan.

I was just thinking about the WWF acquisition of WCW and holy gently caress did they gently caress that up. Like they actually turned the main event of a Raw into Monday Nitro and did Booker T vs Buff Bagwell? And to add insult to injury I think they had Tony Schiavone on commentary too.

Then they forgot that ever happened and did the invasion which I guess is like a reverse nWo situation, but then immediately blew it by bringing ECW into the fold that same night and then putting Steve Austin as the combined stable leader.

WCW: sinking wrestling even after its death

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bubba Grace posted:

Tony was never on Raw. They brought in Scott Hudson to do play by play. I don't remember who the color guys was.

Ah I misremembered then, but poo poo that is a dire loving main event to be putting on with dudes who aren't even over. I think they must've had the idea of doing a soft WCW reboot on Raw, but without a Sting or Goldberg I have no idea how that possibly would've worked.

I remembered catching Raw years later and Booker T was in the nWo somehow and got buried by them. poo poo, everything that touched WCW was so hosed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Chris Jericho would've been a great guy to match up with Booker T. Or better yet they could've just brought all those guys into the main roster instead of soft launching Nitro during a Raw main event. I think it was pretty clear WCW was never getting another tv deal - wasn't the threat of losing access to Turner channels the reason why Bischoff's attempted buyout via Fusient failed?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

What exactly was the reasoning behind WCW signing Tank Abbot? Were they trying to have their own less roidy/fatter/worse performing Ken Shamrock?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Does anyone remember when Russo and Ferrara started booking WCW? I feel like there was a decent early period of this which included an amazing first match between Bret Hart and Chris Benoit where Hart reverses the Crippler Crossface into a sharpshooter, but holy poo poo things immediately fell off the wagon (I have to admit my timelines or fuzzy so that match might have happened before Russo came on board). Hart and Jarrett got injured and they put the belt on Benoit only to have him and the Radicalz walking out the night after. Then when he came back Russo started getting way too much screen time and being an awful on-screen antagonist because he's just a doughy New Yorker compared to McMahon's roided out physique and on-screen gravitas.

Am I crazy or was his first run in WCW semi-decent?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Holy poo poo, did WCW actually plant a Rey Misterio/Jennifer Aniston story? Because holy poo poo that is hilarious for a lot of reasons.

Speaking of which, I shamelessly listened to this poo poo back when I was watching WCW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur9OaD3dDok&t=17s

WCW tried really hard to get musical cross-promotion throughout the latter era, from the Master P No Limit Soldiers poo poo to the KISS wrestler to ICP showing up, yet they really failed at getting music sales going compared to the WWF at the time. I don't really know how you can be a part of a huge media conglomerate and fail at doing synergistic marketing, but IIRC the WWF at the time was doing pretty well on CD sales and it seems like they had a lot better quality stuff coming out. Was it just a matter of WCW being clueless about their audience, or was Jimmy Hart just really bad at making music and working out favorable licensing terms?

Also, another vivid memory I have of WCW is them constantly loving up themes and other show production elements. Like when the WCW Mayhem CD came out they'd randomly have Sting come out to the crow them, or maybe Metallica, or maybe both in one entrance. It was really weird and jarring, and around that time the WWF was getting very elaborate with their graphics and music whereas WCW just kind of stopped caring about consistency and quality in theirs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I forgot he was even in WCW and that they gave him such a bizarre name.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Didn't they replay the whole thing on Nitro the next night? At least, I have a vivid memory of that match's finish despite never having bought the PPV.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who came out of the Power Plant and wasn't dangerous garbage other than Big Show and Goldberg?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I stopped watching wrestling during the botched Invasion, so how was Goldberg's WWE run? I remember him being in a video game with a crappy ripoff version of his awesome WCW theme.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Do the WCW Thunder ones. More wrestlers and most of them have an alternate video thing too.

God I loved the poo poo out of these games as a kid.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Thunder also had a huge roster of unlockable characters like Mike Tenay and all the Nitro Girls.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is there a reason Scott decided to get all roided out while Rick got fatter?

Also where the hell did Midajah come from? I remember her and a few other WCW valets like Torrie Wilson and Stacy Keibler coming from out of nowhere around 1999.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah I know that, I was wondering if they came out of the Power Plant or if WCW went out of their way looking for models, because IIRC none of them could wrestle and kind of burst onto the scene at the same time.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Wrong thread

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's wasn't his fault if WCW was feeding him awful lines like that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I should point out that in 1999 or thereabouts I posted on a bunch of pro wrestling message boards that Lance Storm should win the US title and then slap a Canadian flag sticker over it to get over as a heel, then they Literally did that on the next TV broadcast.

So Vince Russo is awful AND a plagiarist.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Unfortunately I didn't have a telephone to dial with because I was on the internet listening to the webcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I had a Wolfpack shirt. I even bought the WCW soundtrack :kiddo: