Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

iLikeMidgets posted:

Ahahah Farooq Mega Man. What was his character/storyline? I was real young when I first saw him beat the poo poo out of Ahmed Johnson.

His manager was Sunny. He feuded with Ahmed for a bit. He and Sunny parted ways amicably and then he formed the Nation and ditched the goofy gear but continued to feud with Ahmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

NameHurtBrain posted:

Which makes me yearn, for pro-wrestling science purposes, a Tom McGee God Push. If a 1 is booked like a 10, what do people think he is...?

Roman Reigns

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

rovert posted:

Any of you guys read this yet? Poorly promoted but strongly reviewed by those who reviewed it. What the Death of WCW book(s) should have been in terms of original research. Including interviewing Turner executives. Even Jamie Kellner the executive that cancelled all WCW programming.

https://twitter.com/WCWNitroBook/status/1024863604435296262

i like the cover

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MassRafTer posted:

I've seen a lot of people talking about the Nitro book and I have to say I'm not impressed.

I'm only 60ish pages in, so I'm not going to say it's a bad book but I can make a few observations to anyone on the fence:

It is really poorly written. It feels like college undergrad writing. Lots of really lame transitions and cliches.

The research is not great. For some reason a self published book felt the need to give us a brief history of the WWF and it felt pretty off. Same with some of the other historical details that are thrown in there but are off. (The author mentions newspapers first reporting on wrestling not being on the level in the 30s which is about 70 years off.)

It's super repetitive. We've gotten so many quotes about WCW being the red headed stepchild of the Turner networks. We get it.

I do think it is going to improve and there's some interesting details in here, it's just a let down given some people hyped this up as this great definitive account.

so its about on par with just about every other book about wrestling?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MassRafTer posted:

Dave's wife threw out some of his old papers so he doesn't have it anymore. Bret had a copy, but who cares. The loving contract is discussed on Wrestling With Shadows and Eric himself talked about it in interviews and chats back in the day.

people expect bullshitters like Bischoff to be shamed when presented with evidence that they're full of poo poo but if the physical contract turned up he'd just pivot to some other excuse or blame standards and practices or scream Mabel was the third man. you can't fact check a con artist

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
cancelling austin because he used a slur in my headcanon

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

why does hulk look over to the right before pinning nash

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Crush's master plan seems pretty solid.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Just wondering on which individual most people blame for the death of WCW. Like if there was a vote between Bischoff, Russo, Hogan and uhhh I guess Nash?? Who wins?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I see the flag of the Isle of Man combined with the red hand of ulster

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’ve seen nothing of Douglas other than his famous NWA title promo and I’ve always thought it was pretty good. That’s my Shane Douglas story thanks for reading.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
is Buff the biggest WCW star to go absolutely nowhere in WWE?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Jeff Jarrett had a couple of decent (in terms of time if nothing else) mid-card runs in WWE. Sting would've been the one until a few years ago, but he's been in a main-event angle and showpiece Mania match.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1296216186351484930?s=20

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
My favourite Hulkster lie is when he said Andre died like 6 months after doing the job for him at Wrestlemania III

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
case closed folks

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
this is a funny MADtv sketch.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x339920

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

El Gallinero Gros posted:

IIRC there was a World Championship Wrestling before Turner used it, but it was in I wanna say Australia, and who knows how relevant that would have been to a US company

Australian WCW was basically the Australian NWA territory. Jim Barnett helped establish it, and I think used the name when he started at Georgia Championship Wrestling??

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It would kind of rule if they just started up from the Greed continuity.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
he's got those 29 inch pythons brother and the largest back in the world DUDE

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
HBK winning at Mania and then vacating the title might've sunk the WWF for good. Although Austin was so red hot it's hard to see anything stopping his momentum at the time, that might've done it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
to be fair Vader’s lovely WWF run wasn’t all HBK’s fault although he certainly contributed

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
legend of the dog-face gremlin

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
You can tell Goldberg rules because every attempt since at creating a new Goldberg has been an utter failure.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lotta slapnuts itt

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
how about this for a wrestling character Jushin “thunder” Luger

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I like how the crew all get goofy wrestler nicknames in the credits

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1375453864003002373

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Maigius posted:

Man, did Heath Slater job to every legend? I know he was one of the last people to get any offence on Bret.

In the lead up to the the 1000th episode of Raw he'd come out and cut a promo using a legend's catchphrase and then that legend would return and beat him up.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8NuYw0I-c

I love reading/watching stuff about Starrcade 97/98. It's amazing how this company built up big main event angles really well and then just screwed the pooch so spectacularly twice in two years at the same show.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MassRafTer posted:

Starrcade 98 had an absolutely horrendous build. They introduced Bam Bam Bigelow as a nemesis for Goldberg but were doing Nash vs Goldberg at Starrcade, so we got a bunch of really lame matches with no finishes because of it. Then you had the Flair heart attack angle during the Bischoff build and it was just awful.

Haha I had no idea. I thought Goldberg's whole storyline up to that point was him vs the NWO. WCW was worse than I thought.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
what's the consensus over who is at fault for the finish of Starrcade 97? afaik Nick Patrick says there was a miscommunication over whether to give a slow or normal count, others claim Hogan got in his ear. I also heard that Sting turned up to the event in bad condition and this led to the finish being changed somehow?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I know it was WCW and Hogan and everything that entails but him torpedoing not only the climax of a story that had more than a year of build but also the PPV debut in WCW of Bret Hart post-Montreal is insane behaviour to the extent that I don't even know what was in it for him. Honestly it's such a bad finish that WCW should count itself lucky it got another chance at success with Goldberg.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
This is like saying the new Mongolian chops are the same as the classic Mongolian chops. Smdh

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

charlotte??

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Was Dark Side Hogan before, after or during Vince started billing Undertaker from “the darkside”

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
That’s the wall brother

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/Justin_SofOK/status/1452403781778526212

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
please put the long boys on big sexy I’m begging you

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I HAVE A VERY LARGE BRAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Someone please find a video of Hogan screaming "WOOOOO! WEEEEEE! WABABABABABABABA!"

It was when he was wearing his meat shoes