Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Sly Skraper sounds like a character in a Punch Out game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I like Bret Hart because he’s got family values, he’s loyal, he really genuinely likes his fans, even though he may hate the morals of America. He really inspired me to do many different things in my life. He taught me that I have a gift and to use it to it’s fullest potential. And now I’m going to school for computer graphics, and I owe it all to Bret. Four years ago, I never would have gone to school, but when I started liking Bret, everything changed.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

What a bunch of marks.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

I feel like if he had really wanted, Malone could have had a good post-NBA career in wrestling but I understand immediately why he wouldn't want to.

Because he was afraid of being outed as a sexual predator who impregnated a 13 year old?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
It's not new news. Here's an ESPN article from 2008.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
This thread has been around for about a year less than WCW was. We've got to keep it going.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

did anyone in this thread ever actually call the hotline?

I had the toll free back door number and was able to listen to all of the options.

Fun fact - if you called the back door number and entered the number that corresponds to FREEBIRD, you would hear a 10 minute recording of the song that I recorded.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Flair, Backlund, and Lawler are all roughly the same age so when they were in the WWF in 1992, they were ~42.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Seems like a good note to end this iteration of the thread, god drat.

We can't see it now. If this thread is still around on June 13th of next year, it will have been around longer than WCW was.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Maigius posted:

Of Sexy Boy or Heartbreaker by Led Zeppelin?

Pat Benatar.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

First name Macho, last name Man?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Alaois posted:

remember that one of Russo's tenants was that "anyone can wrestle"

He was a landlord, too?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

No they turned him into a Janitor first.

A championship finding janitor.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
For 4550 days, from October 11, 1988 through March 26, 2001, World Championship Wrestling existed through all of its highs and lows.

Robocop saving Sting; Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal; Cactus Jack lost in Cleveland; the White Castle of Fear; the Alliance to End Hulkamania; Cheatum; the Shockmaster; Paul Roma as a Horseman; the Yeti; Drunk Scott Hall, and so much more has been discussed in this thread.

This thread is now 4551 days old, meaning this thread has been around longer than WCW.

This long awaited milestone reminds me of a long awaited WCW debut - Glacier. Vignettes introducing this futuristic fighter akin to a Mortal Kombat character ran for months before Glacier finally debuted on WCW Pro against a very worthy opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3C0fflMxQ

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

Lee Marshall had the best life. They'd pay for him to go to the next city Nitro was going to be in and film a 2-minute road report, which was basically just "I'm here at the home of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, hey, you ever see a weasel go fast?". And then he'd occasionally do some backstage stuff at WCW's D-show. Dream living.

Wasn't his Road Report literally phoned in? He could have been anywhere.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Someone on Reddit posted a fan cam video of Jacques Rougeau beating Hogan clean in '97.

https://v.redd.it/i76spedrvsu91

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

After Mack 10 references from Nash, the Outsiders entering to the Fugees at house shows, signing Master P to a deal, and Konnan having his own rap video, WCW put their finger on the pulse of pop culture and called in.... KISS.

People forget how hot Kiss was at that time.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Alaois posted:

remember how the secret level in 2000's Tony Hawk Underground was a KISS concert

the only thing that was hot about KISS in the late 90s was KISS' marketing budget

They had the number one tour in 1997. Manufactured or not, there was a huge Kiss resurgence at that time.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Dusty Baker wasn't in NWA/JCP/WCW. That was Scott Hall - you must have seen the toothpick and got confused.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Did you know that Comet Hale Bopp became visible to the naked eye in May of 1996 as the nWo invasion began?

Did you also know that it stopped being visible to the naked eye in December of 1997 before Sting vs Hogan?

Have you ever wondered what the Heaven's Gate cult really knew???????

Hale Bopp sounds like a jobber on WCW Saturday Night in 1992.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
The contracts were in place, and there was no real way around those. What they needed was someone to book around those contracts and either buy them out or eat them. Instead, they fell for the sunk cost fallacy and continued to book the guys with big contracts.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
New thread title?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

There was an old thread here about the last appearance of wrestlers, and that mop bucket to the face was McMichael's last WCW appearance.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Road Warriors

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

Paul Wight did indeed win his first ever title with the help of a Yet-Tay run-in.

In his first match in WCW (and possibly ever)!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Suplex Liberace posted:

"Now let me tell you something brother if you don't like that i got three words for you dude!"

Train, prayers, vitamins!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

There was one jobber tag team that got fed to Ryback and for some reason they were allowed to cut a short promo beforehand announcing their names, which were a pastiche of US presidents and Freebirds, which I can't quite remember.

6/11/12 Ryback defeated Willard Fillmore and Rutherford PS Hayes, The Dead Presidents.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
It's not hot!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
And then a recently debuted Jericho interrupted them, right? Was that the same promo?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

That makes sense. Disappointing though. Sullivan's 80s work that I've watched is some of the best heel work. The man knew how to be a psycho that everyone hated.

Are there other greats who are not in because of this? I don't know enough to know who is being snubbed

Besides Magnum TA and Nikita Koloff, I think practically any big name that was in WCW has been in WWE.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
And former Nation of Domination member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Miching Mallecho posted:

I had known the WWF had done this but I never saw the actual image

:lol:

Looks like something a bird left on the hood of a car.