Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Jericho's last night in WCW saw him haranguing the crowd and the wrestlers he would be fighting when Rey Mysterio told him,"Hey, we all know you're leaving, Chris, let's just put on a show for the people!" and they had a great match. Afterwards a tearful Jericho hugged Mysterio and the others in the ring, got the mic and told the crowd that..... they still sucked!

I love that story only because I can easily see Jericho, misty eyed and voice cracking, saying that the fans have made his more thankful than he could ever express, but Peroia still sucks and not break character once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

I thought this was the TNA thread? :psyduck:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand that's a wrap. Good thread, guys, but I think we've the reached the top of the mountain.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Does this make us the King? Or do we have to hang something up first?

You have to qualify to hang something first by voting this thread a 5. Then all other posters are placed on probation for 2 minutes.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Tenay/Schiavone/Heenan was actually a great commentary team. Not perfect, due to a lack of chemistry, but great nonetheless. You had Heenan to provide color (and there was none better), Schiavone could sell the match when he wasn't being yelled at by Bischoff to sell whatever the main storyline of the promotion was, and Tenay sat silent except to share that the first ladder match was held in 1895 in rear end Lick, Iowa for the Global Worldwide Championship Professional Wrestling Promotion, etc. Best of all, no one talked over each other. It was usually improved and yet it usually sounded like a rehearsed script.

Yeah, everyone jokes about BACK BRAIN LEG KICK and poo poo, but until Madden joined commentary and it all went downhill, WCW's commentary really wasn't bad at all and I'd gladly take it over the WWE's commentary now.

Consider it your diamond in a septic tank.

OK, cubic zirconia in a septic tank.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

dusty udder smoker posted:

you gotta know there's something wrong with a company for punishing their midcarders for getting bigger reactions than their main eventers.

Reading the portion of Jericho's book where he explains a very simple "Jericho makes fun of Goldberg, Jericho gets destroyed by Goldberg" storyline to Bischoff, Hogan and Goldberg and gets met with anger and utter confusion made me :doh: the entire time.

It was a perfect example of slamming one's head into a brick wall.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

He didn't get bitter because of it, though.

In fact, DDP is probably one of the objectively happiest and most positive people there is.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

I could totally be wrong, but I don't recall WCW trying to draw any sort of connection, consciously or otherwise, between that bump and Owen.

I think that was just the result of WCW not thinking (yeah, I'm surprised too) before doing.

It's a pet peeve and a dumb one, but to me, "tasteless" implies intent or reckless disregard for others' sensibilities. That was just the result of plain incompetence and stupidity.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Edit: Sort of beaten.

Golden Bee posted:

That'd be a great visual joke, but very odd at an angle length. It can only go "guy vs similar looking guy" from there.

WCW, particularly during the death spiral, never thought anything past "this would be a great visual joke!"

WCW's final years were like hiring David Lynch and the ten hackiest comedy writers on Hollywood's D-List and giving them a blank checkbook and 18 trash bags full of cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Even if one isn't a DDP fan, you can't not be excited to see him. He's just so enthusiastic about everything. He's excited, so you're excited.

Amen. I went to a concert once and there was a opening band. They were talented enough, but the music was just very out of place. Regardless, they were energetic as poo poo, clearly loved performing and were as into it as you could possibly be. 5 songs later, this Australian pop-punk band earned a crazy ovation from a room full of rockers and metalheads.

Conveying your enjoyment for what you're doing is unbelievably important.